Message Boards

Topic : 08/28 Hurricane Katrina: One Year Later

Number of Replies: 127
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, August 25, 2006, 10:13:32 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Dr. Phil travels back to New Orleans, one year after Hurricane Katrina wiped out entire neighborhoods. He meets with FEMA director David Paulison to see first hand how the city is progressing. Touring the temporary housing in a trailer park, Dr. Phil and David hear from residents about their frustrations with FEMA. Then, Dr. Phil meets with a couple who says they had a picture perfect marriage, until Hurricane Katrina destroyed their lives. Brent and Stephanie relive the horror of what they witnessed a year ago. How is the stress of trying to rebuild their lives affecting their marriage and the health of their 2-year-old daughter? Then, Dr. Phil meets with Police Chief Warren Reilly in the Lower Ninth Ward, a neighborhood that was decimated when the levees broke. How is the rebuilding of the levees coming along? How is the mental and emotional health of the New Orleans police officers? Then, you’ve got the best seats in the house at a huge concert event to raise money for the first responders and their families. Brian McKnight, Brooks & Dunn, Jeff Foxworthy and Allen Toussaint come out to show New Orleans a good time in support of New Orleans Police Department, Fire Department and Emergency Medical Services. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More August 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

August 27, 2006, 11:24 am CDT

Don't Forget Rita

Katrina was a devastating storm and the images we saw on TV have changed us all-they will be with us forever.  Katrina had a younger sister called Rita.  Rita struck SW Louisiana and SE Texas bringing hurricane force winds 100 miles inland.  There were power outages as far north as Shreveport , LA.  We have many families in our area who are still homeless or displaced due to the molassis like pace of FEMA.  I'm just asking that next month on the anniversary of Rita that you not forget about Katrina's less famous but just as nasty sister, Rita.  The community of Holly Beach was completely flatened and the schools are just now opening in portable buildings.

Sincerely

Michelle

August 27, 2006, 11:52 am CDT

Charity begins at home

The title really said it all. The Americans expect and should receive a better goverment that we have now. The answers that we get from President Bush is like watching reruns on the World news,which we certanily  don't have and wouldn't watch if we did!   The American people are now at the lowest moral that it has been under in years.

I wish someone could help me understand why we go to a country ,destroy it and then turn around and rebuild it and spends BILLIONS of dollars to rebuild it. The United States Of America has so many people who are below the poverty line and all we can concentrate on is the other countries who wouldn't pour water on the american people if we were on fire.

Now realize I am not saying that President Bush is wrong for not bringing the Troops Home. That would in my oponion be the worst thing to do. Reason being that would only encourage the Terrorists to do more harm. Now as for New Orleans, The city was full of unemployment and as I have read and seen on T.V.when this first happened we as the American People did everything we could to get to New Orleans to give them help,but they shot at the very same people that they are complaining about now.I hope you don't take this wrong ,but I sincerly believe that no all The people in New Orleans dosen't deserve help to rebuild their homes.The saying is the lord helps those who helps themselves,and the Goverment gets plenty of help because they are always helping therselves  to our money,more and more everyday. In conclusion I would just like to say that I have said many prayers on the welfare of our country.I only hope that the Goverment will see that they need to put our resourses to better help the people in their own country,which is the USA! God bless America and also God help America.        

August 27, 2006, 12:18 pm CDT

I live in Port Charlotte, I survived Hurricane Charley

Quote From: taylorsville

I agree with you 100% this is not right that all you ever hear about is New Orleans I grew up in Biloxi/Ocean Springs Mississippi area and they were hit VERY VERY BAD and no one is talking them up they have not winned and cried they have rebuilt and still rebuilding they want to put the town back to gether and NO ONE is writing stories about them. I ABSOLUTLY think it is B.S.!!!!!!!! Dr. Phil or staff if you read this open your eyes go do a story on the other people that was hit a lot harder than New Orleans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First of all, I want to say my heart goes out to the Katrina victims.  Compared to their losses, the hurricanes that hit Florida were a walk in the park, HOWEVER...a few things must be made known.

Our President Bush took the blame for what happened in New Orleans.  But you know what?  When a hurricane is out in the gulf of Mexico, it isn't the President of the United States who knocks on doors telling people to evacuate.  It's local officials, not govenors, not even mayors, it's local people like firemen and police. 

First to evacuate are the barrier islands, and it isn't done when you're under the winds of a hurricane, it's done when it's an approach of a hurricane, perhaps during the warning time.  Then the low lying areas, mobile homes, elderly, hospitals, etc.  In an order!  With a plan.  I can't believe hospital officials didn't take it in their own hands for the safety of their patients!

The govenor of Louisiana though, should be blamed for much for not having not only a plan in place, WAY ahead of time, but put into action in an organized fashion.  Florida is very lucky to have Govenor Bush when a hurricane hits.  The difference in pre-action is amazing.  The television reports are alarming to residents, evacuation routes are already signed in advance on the roads, stores are stocked with supplies you need, local preventative measures in the way of brochures are given to people ahead of time in grocery bags.  There are pages in the phone book of what to do in case of severe weather.  The difference is prevention.

I was only 3 miles away from the eye of Hurricane Charley.  Hurricane Charley for those of you who don't know is the one who was supposed to hit Tampa, but instead took a severe, quick turn onto Sanibel Island and went up the Charlotte Harbor, which is only minutes from my house.  We had VERY little warning.  What about all the planning I was writing about?  Well, it was all in place for TAMPA.  TAMPA was majorly evacuated, we had the warnings to put in outside furniture, be prepared for some high winds, have supplies handy, have pets secured, barrier islands (like Sanibel Island which was hit BAD) were evacuated ahead of time (thank God). 

So for what we thought as per our weather reports, we were prepared.  But weather reports can be wrong, we are dealing with a force of nature here!  A hurricane can be like a butterfly.  It can go one way, be on a path, and then suddenly turn course. 

I remember August 13, 2004.  I was on my computer, but had the tv on for coverage.  When I heard it hit Sanibel Island, (it still wasn't even raining outside our place) I took my dogs out to do their business and then prepared thier area.  I then put blankets and pillows in the only closet we had which had no outside walls. 

Then the news hit that it was heading up to the Charlotte Harbor.  And onto Edgewater Drive, which is only four blocks from my home.  Could we leave in time?   NO!  You had to hunker down the best you could.  Bridges were already closed.  No way out.  Trapped?  We didn't know for sure how hard it would hit.

Suddenly winds really started to pick up.  We took the cat and sat in the closet.  The rain came.  But not just rain.  It sounded like an nail gun on the windows, pow, pow, pow!  We heard the tiles being ripped from the roof.  Could hear trees snapping outside.  My husband had his body placed against the closet door and he said, 'You can't imagine the force.'  I was praying.

When the eye passed, we left the closet and I told my husband to not open any outside door or window because it changes the air pressure in the house.  He went and applied his hand to the sliding glass door during this time, the calmest part before the winds rip from the other direction, and he told me, you can feel the glass vibrating.

When it was all done with, our screened lanai was torn apart, but still intact (the only one on the street.).  Trees were down all over.  A powerline was drapped across what was left of our roof, which was down to bare plywood.  The street looked like a scene from a WWII movie.  Litter everywhere.  Shingles from everyone's homes scattered.  A piece of aluminum was forced and daggered into a garage door across the street.  Palm trees were bent over.  Tree tops were gone.  The mess was overwhelming to look at.  Our grill fell into our pool.  (What a mess, I won't even go there.)

After the storm was over, we went out to the garage to check on our dogs, and they were all huddled in the smallest cage together, scared...and we comforted them.  They were okay though.  We managed to get a generator the next day from a friend a few towns away so they had fans on them at least in the 90 degree heat of the day, but it was hot.   We drove two towns away to get ice just for the dogs, and to get gas for the generator.  It was to be a daily ritual for a week until we had power.  When the national guard came in, then I got my ice there, and I put it in a large kiddy pool I had, let it melt for the dogs, and it kept the floor cool too as well.  They were okay, not spoiled as normal, but more in survival mode.  (I had plenty of food for them.)

But we were lucky...wow were we lucky.  When we finally got down to Edgewater Drive the next couple of days, we were alarmed at what we saw.  It looked like something out of a horror show.  All you could do was cry for total strangers knowing very well, it could have been you...just a few blocks.  Homes had no roofs, windows blown out, telephone poles layed on houses, cars scattered on their sides, just horrific.

But you look around you and wonder, 'Where do you start?' 

You have no power, no phone service (not even cel phones, over 300 towers went down in the storm, you had to go two towns away before they worked.)

Thank God for digital cameras.  You take pictures of the devastation for the insurance company, then you begin the awesome task of clean up.  To give you an idea, I picked up seven large green garbage bags of shingles from my front yard alone.  In the HEAT of the scorching sun.  My husband had his company put a waterproof paint filler on the roof to protect our house from further damage.  I won't get into details of all the cleanup, but it was awesome.

You do clap and put a smile on your face when you see the national guard come in.  (Not shoot at them.) 

And things change.  You see disaster relief trucks, the Red Cross and Salvation army on nearly every corner.  Temporary booths set up for insurance companies to do claims.  Twisted metal everywhere, signage blown out, no traffic lights.

Guess what?  The community rebuilds, slowly.  There are still homes untouched.  It took us six months to get a new roof.  We called from our hotel room (which you can't call any local businesses because THEY all got hit), for needed repairs and when I called to get an estimate, the girl told me we were on page 23 of legal pads full of requests, it will be weeks if not months for any action.  Patience was something you quickly learned.  See, many of the workers, lost their homes too.  Familiar frequented places of business GONE. 

Yes, we hear about Katrina, but we didn't have a tenth of the publicity they had.  I didn't see Dr. Phil come to our town.  Nor Oprah, nor T.D. Jakes.  But widespread depression hit, post traumatic depression hit, families who got along great were not in divorce mode.  It's stressful.  VERY.

But somehow, you survive.  Your mind goes into survival mode. 

We didn't have nearly the damage as Katrina had, but let me tell you, I could tell you of how my best friend and her family of four kids and her husband spent six weeks in their bedroom because it was the only useable room in the house.  When the insurance finally did kick in, her family of six stayed in a 35 foot trailer for two years while their home was being repaired, and they are STILL waiting on things.  Since 2004! 

My heart really does go out to the kids of New Orleans and surrounding areas most.  Their lives will be changed forever. 

But Dr. Phil, honestly, if you want to do a story, pick the one with the most coverage.  I won't even go into the story of another friend on the east coast who lost two homes in two hurricanes within two weeks. 

Dr. Phil, your efforts are to be commended and praised, but honestly, you should focus on ALL hurricane victims, not just Katrina, what a total insult to victims of hurricanes Charley, Frances, Ivan, Jean, etc.  Do we not matter?  Do you know the numbers before Hurricane Jean hit that year is four out of five homes in the state of Florida were hit already?  THE whole state was hit that year, not just one town. 

I could only wish that you could talk to the survivors of the Florida hurricanes for equal coverage, that's all. 

I thank you for all you've done, especially for the children of Katrina.  I know I wrote you before to include my friend who has four kids who were hit from Hurricane Charley, and your audience coordinator called her with the wonderful news that your staff was flying her out there, placing her in a hotel, etc.  They received all the wonderful gifts you gave out on that Christmas show.  Let me tell you, it lifted their spirits.  You have NO idea how much it lifted their spirits.  And it's what you CAN do...so I acknowledge it. 

I truly think though, that you should focus on a DISASTER relief program, not just Katrina.  You're slighting so many people that way.  You have brought so much focus on a need, and there is so much more you could do.  Just give it some thought is all I ask. 

Thank you for allowing me to air my thoughts.

Sincerely, Kathleen of Port Charlotte

August 27, 2006, 12:19 pm CDT

Katrina clean up

WHY is this taking so long???

August 27, 2006, 12:38 pm CDT

Cathy P.

Quote From: plainsman

Your church group??  Perhaps it would have been better for you to have stayed home and just watched the media coverage.  I think that most of the volunteers were there to help out, not to judge.  EVERYONE in the region was affected; however, the concentration of Citizens and the economic impact to the city (and our Nation)- not to mention the atrocity of ignorance on the part of the leaders and planners - were of such an impact that it merited most of the attention.  If you didn't see much devastation it  is obvious you didn't get out of your French Quarter hotel much; I drove through the City a few times and saw plenty of devastation.  And no, my demolished home in Slidell isn't mentioned much either, but I don't cry about the lack of noteriety.  I'm glad that you have had the opportunity to return to your pristeen life, and I hope you don't have to ever again suffer the indignity of being called to an area that's "not so bad".

I lived in New Orleans East. You apparently did not travel east or in the 9th ward. We were hit so hard that we are still not back home.  The work is progressing and we should be back by October.  Stop judging us!  We love our home and you obviously are commenting on a small percentage of people that rented and have moved on for many reasons.  I am glad you are no longer here because you would only fuel the many misconceptions the media have chosen to air. 

Thanks to the many people who came to help us.  You are always in my prayers and I hope that God blesses you abundantly. 

Cathy, watch the stones you throw through your glass house ... the stones may cause a crack and allow water to flood your home too!!

August 27, 2006, 12:43 pm CDT

08/28 Hurricane Katrina: One Year Later

Quote From: levelco

The title really said it all. The Americans expect and should receive a better goverment that we have now. The answers that we get from President Bush is like watching reruns on the World news,which we certanily  don't have and wouldn't watch if we did!   The American people are now at the lowest moral that it has been under in years.

I wish someone could help me understand why we go to a country ,destroy it and then turn around and rebuild it and spends BILLIONS of dollars to rebuild it. The United States Of America has so many people who are below the poverty line and all we can concentrate on is the other countries who wouldn't pour water on the american people if we were on fire.

Now realize I am not saying that President Bush is wrong for not bringing the Troops Home. That would in my oponion be the worst thing to do. Reason being that would only encourage the Terrorists to do more harm. Now as for New Orleans, The city was full of unemployment and as I have read and seen on T.V.when this first happened we as the American People did everything we could to get to New Orleans to give them help,but they shot at the very same people that they are complaining about now.I hope you don't take this wrong ,but I sincerly believe that no all The people in New Orleans dosen't deserve help to rebuild their homes.The saying is the lord helps those who helps themselves,and the Goverment gets plenty of help because they are always helping therselves  to our money,more and more everyday. In conclusion I would just like to say that I have said many prayers on the welfare of our country.I only hope that the Goverment will see that they need to put our resourses to better help the people in their own country,which is the USA! God bless America and also God help America.        

You have said it very well. You have expressed my sentiments exactly.

August 27, 2006, 12:51 pm CDT

It takes YEARS to full recover!

Why is it that many of us Americans think that recovery will be fast and perfect one year after it occurred? I was at ground zero three days after Hurricane Andrew hit Holmstead, FL; I went there to help, loaded down with donations. It takes YEARS to fully recover from major hurricanes.

Pensacola, FL is STILL trying to rebuild two years after Hurricane Ivan hit. Once New Orleans and those areas were ravaged by Katrina, all the skilled and unskilled workers headed out of Florida. It still takes months for average citizens to get electricians, plumbers and the like to go to a home in Pensacola.

WE all failed when it came to Katrina. To all those who felt you build a town on WET LAND (as is the case with New Orleans), to those who stayed when they should have evacuated, to the local leaders who were unorganized and SHOULD be ashamed (Ray N is too arrogant to take any blame), to FEMA (so poorly organized) and to the sitting president (who should have MADE the state and local leaders get off their hands).

Prior to the storm, much money went to the New Orleans area and much went to the levees. However, LA state and local government is known as the most corrupt in the U.S. so it's no wonder there was big problems from the start.

Sorry, but it takes more than a year to recover from a NATURAL DISASTER. We Americans want instant satisfaction and it just can't happen after such a huge disaster. Life slowly returns to "normal." But let's just hope "normal" isn't the poverty, crime, drug-use, etc, that once WAS the New Orleans area!

True change comes from within. Until the people of that area WANT a better life, they won't get it. They have to want it and to work toward it (once they once again have food, shelter, clothing, etc).

God bless all of them (all the survivors) and all of those who have helped them (expecting no monetary profit). God always knows what's He's doing; perhaps someday we'll understand the reason for Katrina; hopefully we won't be too arrogant to listen!

August 27, 2006, 12:56 pm CDT

Taxation w/o Representation

Bring back the Boston Tea Party.................

I agree with the last person.   Why do we go destroy another country and then spend Billions to repair it?   Well....  there are a few theories why Iraq, but that is for another message board.

I am sadly frustrated that a whole year later and there are so many parts of the gulf just left to rot, mold, die and otherwise become a wasteland.  Why is this?   How do we fix it?

Your President is only a spokeperson for the country.   Essentially powerless to do for the collective whole what needs to be done.

The gulf needs a major infusion of guidance and help.   We, as the taxpayers, funding this rebuilding must demand fair and equitable representation for the whole gulf.   Rebuilding it and returning it to a livable community so those displaced can move back in and continue raising families.  This does not imply $250,000 homes, but fair, middle-class homes that can be afforded and maintained.

With the housing industry going down due to fewer sales...  what better idea could there be but to get into the gulf region, set specifications for modest living conditions and rebuild... rebuild.. rebuild...   What a boost it would be.

Now, it is up to us to make it happen.

August 27, 2006, 12:57 pm CDT

Yes, we all need to help.

Quote From: equine54

It is so important that we not forget the people who suffered great loss during Hurican Katrina. The rest of us can go on with our lives. They are still dealing with the devitation both physically and emotionally. We still need to help!

It's a friggin NATURAL DISASTER. Why would you think everyone would be back in their homes just one year later????? It doesn't work that way. This is real life. It takes money, manpower, determination and basically enough workers do to the work over thousands of miles of devastation!

Do you know there are still people w/o their homes and businesses in Pensacola two years after Hurricane Ivan???? The people there can't find enough workers do do the jobs.

This idea that things go back to "normal" after a MAJOR disaster are silly and irresponsible. I have lived thru a small hurricane (Frances....two years ago in Florida). We lost pat of our roof, all of our landscaping and our septic system. It took us almost a year to recover from just that! Apparently you have never been thru a major disaster (I went down 3 days after Hurricane Andrew hit). Once you SEE all the devastation and the MILLIONS affected, you'd understand that things SHOULDN'T be back to normal in JUST a year.

This is reality, Folks. Please get rid of the idea of instant gratification because it doesn't exist in real life! But you ARE CORRECT; we all need to help whatever way is possible. We help thru our church as many others in the U.S. do as well.

August 27, 2006, 1:04 pm CDT

Don't blame Army Corp of Eng.

Quote From: annemay1

I am so saddened by the way these victims of the hurricane have been forgotten, can you imagine being without your home for more than a year ?? I can't how can a child comprehend such a loss let alone an adult. As americans we need to step up to the plate and do so much more. The Army Corps of Engineers needs to take responsibility for there mistake.

LA got more federal monies than any other state! The monies were SUPPOSED to go to the levee system. It is well known that LA state and local govt is the most corrupt in the nation. The money was there; it was poorly spent and I would suspect put into the pockets of thieves in suits.

New Orleans was built on a swamp (yes, wet land). Why on Earth we built there is a mystery (or perhaps it has to do with man's arrogance when thinking that he can beat mother nature)? And on top of the geographical and mechanical problems, we have people who thought they would stay instead of evacuate even when they knew WAY in advance that the hurricane would be at least a Catagory 3 storm. Then you add state and local leaders who didn't bother to MAKE people leave (but allowed all those school busses to fill with water!) along with a disorganized and pathetic FEMA organization AND you now have a major catastrophe!

All of this created HUGE problems that the Army Corps of Engineers had NOTHING to do with!!!

Until we start placing the blame where it is due... true, postiive, lasting change won't take place!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last