Message Boards

Topic : 08/29 Hurricane Katrina: One Year Later, Part 2

Number of Replies: 121
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, August 25, 2006, 10:15:15 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Dr. Phil continues his tour of New Orleans one year after Hurricane Katrina. He gets a progress report from New Orleans’ mayor, Ray Nagin. Then, Dr. Phil checks in with former police chief, Eddie Compass, in the same spot he comforted him a year ago. What has Compass been doing since he left the force? And was he fired from his job by the mayor? Dr. Phil gets to the bottom of the controversy. Who’s telling the truth? Then, Dr. Phil takes a look at the award-winning photographs of David Woo. His book, Eyes of the Storm, captures the devastated ghost town that was New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina. Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More August 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

August 27, 2006, 6:11 am CDT

08/29 Hurricane Katrina: One Year Later, Part 2

I have watched so many shows about Katrina and all the people suffering, it makes me mad and sad. I'm mad at Bush because he promised so much and gave so little, I'm sad to see how these people are living when they don't have to live this way if the government would get off their asses and help. I was thinking if everyone who could afford to, pick 1 family and send them money once a month until they get back on their feet, even $100.00, I think it would help them buy things they need and take some of the stress off. I know alot of you reading this think I'm nuts for sugesting  we do this but if we don't then who will. I know I would love to recieve help if I was in their shoes. The kids need school supplies and clothes . I'm not even from the states but my heart breaks for all of them and I can afford to helpif I could figure out  away to reach them one on one. I don't want to sen money to Res Cross or Salvation Army because I want to know the money I send goes directly into the familys pocket for things they need.

If anyone has any input to add, please do I need some advice on how to do this.

August 27, 2006, 9:12 am CDT

Katrina

Quote From: deja126

I have watched so many shows about Katrina and all the people suffering, it makes me mad and sad. I'm mad at Bush because he promised so much and gave so little, I'm sad to see how these people are living when they don't have to live this way if the government would get off their asses and help. I was thinking if everyone who could afford to, pick 1 family and send them money once a month until they get back on their feet, even $100.00, I think it would help them buy things they need and take some of the stress off. I know alot of you reading this think I'm nuts for sugesting  we do this but if we don't then who will. I know I would love to recieve help if I was in their shoes. The kids need school supplies and clothes . I'm not even from the states but my heart breaks for all of them and I can afford to helpif I could figure out  away to reach them one on one. I don't want to sen money to Res Cross or Salvation Army because I want to know the money I send goes directly into the familys pocket for things they need.

I wish people would stop blaming George Bush for the way Katrina victims have been treated..And No  I'm not even Republican!!  Ray Nagin is responsible for this travisty, He was offered $500.00 for each deserted car by a company in Texas, and they would haul them away, this deal would have brought in 6 million dollars; instead he held out for his "local" people to do the job, and nothing has been done! Now it is going to COST them $26 million . Everyone needs to look at the other towns that were hit by Katrina, and see the progress they have made to see where the real blame lies. The clean up is a local responsibility. Look at any tornado, flood, volcano eruption etc. It's up to the individual city to handle the problem, how they dole out the money, and handle the clean up is up to the mayor and governor.

August 27, 2006, 10:33 am CDT

The time that we are living in

I have a question to all as i study the bible it makes me wounder if what the bible says is that we are in the time of the end right now. What it says is" as it was in the day of Noah so shall it it be in the end of this system of things. It makes sad that even if we had a Survivor of that day would we listen to him or would we tell him he is old and foolish or even crazy what would we all do??but we must all search or hearts honestly am I this way as stated in 

2nd Timothy3:1-5

But know this, that in the last days critical times hard to deal with will be here. 2 For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, self-assuming, haughty, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, disloyal, 3 having no natural affection, not open to any agreement, slanderers, without self-control, fierce, without love of goodness, 4 betrayers, headstrong, puffed up [with pride], lovers of pleasures rather than lovers of God, 5 having a form of godly devotion but proving false to its power; and from these turn away. 6 For from these arise those men who slyly work their way into households and lead as their captives weak women loaded down with sins, led by various desires, 7 always learning and yet never able to come to an accurate knowledge of truth.

August 28, 2006, 10:31 pm CDT

Re: Hurricane Katrina

Quote From: deja126

I think its a cheap shot for people to say all the problems as a result of Katrina are all Bush's fault. I hear it everyday and it's so old. Yes he has indeed screwed up other things for sure and is a definite contributor to the mess here but come on, where is the responsibility of the Mayor?? The Governor?? National Guard screwed up too. Where is the responsibility at the state and local levels? They are the first responders. They are elected for a reason, an it's not to just pack the buck up the line. State and local officials waited until just 19 hours before the hurricane hit to decide "Gee looks serious, we might want to order a mandatory evacuation now!" I'm politically unaffiliated and after the pathetic actions of politicians like these, proud to be! I hope the people of New Oleans, Mississippi, Alabama, and others affected will hold the appropriate people accountable at the polls this November and get this behind them (as much as possible).

August 29, 2006, 5:41 am CDT

Clean Up

I am wondering  can't some of these people help their self with somethings? Like the mold she could have taken a cloth and cleaned if off if it came back again do it again, and the weeds around the trailers can't they pull them out if they don;t have anything the cut them with? I think some of these people are so use to the government doing for them that they don't know anything their self. I think the old saying the Lord helps those who help their self is so true. I would be more understanding if I saw something they were doing and not just sitting back and complaining that no one is doing anything for them..

August 29, 2006, 7:03 am CDT

Hurricane Katrina

What happened down in New Orleans is just as tragic like 9/11 was. We do not understand things. There are lots of unanswered questions that everyone has. Blaming President Bush is not the right way to go. He is human just like everyone else, and to be honest, even the president himself makes mistakes, noone is perfect. People handle things differently. Yes we all are heartbroken over what took place that day in New Orleans. There is alot of reconstruction to be done and cleaning up to do. Everyone should pitch in and help those in need, out with what they need done. Without faith, everything is nothing but chaotic and messed up in this world. Instead of gripeing about everything and blaming someone, get out there and be of help yourself.

August 29, 2006, 7:53 am CDT

Eddie Compass

Dr Phil,

Thank you for outing the truth about the forced 'retirement' of Eddie Compass. Mayor Nagin has been revealed time and again as a politician who says what he needs, like all politicians..

If you hadnt stepped in Eddie Compass' story would never have been shared with all of us. I rang the Mayors office to log my disgust.

Tia Carr

August 29, 2006, 8:06 am CDT

Helping people!

Hello all,

I can say I have no idea for myself what those people are going though that had to deal with hurricane Katrina. For what  I see on TV they are going though a lot some of them of move on and other still need our help. If this country can help other country's they should make sure that we are taken care of first before helping any other place.  This is the land of the free and we can do anything if we put our minds to right. You see on TV this week of all the place that still are not back and that is very sad to me, I wish that I could help them myself by doing anything. I am a mother of two little girls and have had a bad year in my life too. I think about all those people down south that had a wrose year then I ., and I am sorry for that I don't wish that on anyone so to all that are going though that I am sorry and I hope that you get all that you need and god bless you friends and family from a mom and Maine..  The last thing I would like to say is good luck to Eddie  sorry you lost your job. Have good hopes in life your a great man for you have done for your city..

August 29, 2006, 8:25 am CDT

Katrina

I am so very sorry to all who have been affected by Katrina. The lives that have been damaged and lost are hard to comprehend. The natural thing to do is to point fingers and blame. Unfortunatly that does not help anyone. I am sure things could have been handled better.  I just hope that if anything like this happens in the future that things will be handled differently. Now it is important to focus on helping and healing. My heart goes out to all who have been affected by this.

August 29, 2006, 8:25 am CDT

Quit blaming, and DO something!

What does it matter who was to blame?  There were screwups from top to bottom in New Orleans!  They are STILL screwing up.  The Mayor is great for blaming everyone else for everything, and he was the worst problem there.

The people in the arena, there were many aged, new borns, etc. that SHOULD have been helped....while the able bodied were busy stealing and looting, and more able bodied were crying that no one was helping them.  Why weren't THEY out in the streets helping clean up?  Why didn't they take FEMA money to PAY them to work? 

Why did it take Dr.Phil to go there a year later and meet with the head of FEMA......who told everyone "I'll look into that".......why hasn't he BEEN looking into it from day one?  And I agree with the other poster......the lady with the mold on her walls......has she heard of bleach and a little elbow grease?  Some of the people in the trailers are TRYING, and will eventually get out of the mess because they're not relying on others to do it for them.

Also, I couldn't help but notice, one or two of the trailers had satellite dishes outside!  HUH?  Who's paying for THAT?  And in that situation, does anyone really need satellite or cable TV?  I would think that there would be more important things to do with their money......like SAVE it to get out of there! 

Some people are out of work......so why are there still tons of smashed houses & cars in the same place they were a year ago?  There are plenty of able bodied men AND women in New Orleans that could be there cleaning up the mess!   There are lots of people who are helping.....Dr.Phil, Oprah, and many more.....but I think a lot of these people could do a LOT more to help themselves.  It was a tragedy, there is no doubt, but in times of tragedy, the weak people cry, and want help, but the strong people get out and help themselves.  There are way too many weak people there, just waiting for a miracle to happen.  They need to get out and make their own miracles!

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last