Message Boards

Topic : How Plastic Surgery Has Changed My Life

Number of Replies: 138
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 04:57:56 pm
Author : dataimport
Has plastic surgery changed your life for the better, made it worse, or not changed it at all? Share your stories here.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 16, 2007, 6:18 pm CST

How Plastic Surgery Has Changed My Life

Quote From: ohdang13

Hi. I am thinking about having my breasts lifted them getting saline implants. Has anyone in here had this done yet? And could you tell me if you found it benificial to you? I am only 36 but had to have an emergency hystorectomy a year ago and since then I went from a DD to a B cup. I am not happy with how my breast look now. My husband says they are fine and he would not change a thing but I hate  looking at myself in the mirror now! I feel like I not only lost a huge part of what makes me a woman but now my breasts have gone too.

Anyone out there that knows how I feel and have made a choice to implant please give me your advice.

Waiting patiently...Ohdang13

hi ohdang13,

As long as you get a good doctor, I'd say go for it. I have polands syndrome so I never had a right breast until last July. Getting my reconstruction (or actually just construction in my case) was the best thing I ever did for myself.  I finally had two boobs! I'm only 16, 15 when the recon was done, so I understand how important breasts are, even when youd like to think they're not. If you want it, can can afford it, I think you should get it. Make sure you ask about the different implants, not just what inside, but the implant itself; smooth oppsed to textured and whatever they use to create the pocket if you need it. I dont konw anything about those, since with Polands the pectoral muscle is missing, so it was physically impossible for me to get that done first. One the left I dropped only one cup, iI think, swelling still isnt totally gone, so I hear your pain on dropping sizes, but knowing that I was able to go from litteraly nothing to a c, an actual breast, was great. If you want it, or even need it for mental reasons, like I did, and can afford it since insureance probably wont cover it, I say get it done. Breasts make so much of a differance, don't you hate it?

March 19, 2007, 8:48 pm CDT

A CHALLENGE FOR DR. PHIL

THIS IS REGARDING A SILENT EPIDEMIC OF PANDEMIC PROPORTIONS.MY STORY IS JUST ONE OF MANY,MANY,MANY SIMILAR STORIES. TRUE STORIES.I AND OTHERS HAVE WARRANTED FEAR FOR ALL WHO HAVE,HAD,OR ARE ACTUALLY CONSIDERING GETTING BI.

FOR WE ARE PROOF OF THE UGLY TRUTH. WE KNOW ALL TOO WELL

AND AS WE ARE DEATHLY ILL.

PLEASE LISTEN ON BEHALF OF YOUNG GIRLS AND WOMEN EVERY WHERE. WHAT HAS AND SADLY CONTINUES TO HAPPEN COULD JUST AS EASILY HAPPEN TO YOU AND OR THOSE YOU LOVE;IT HAS/CONTINUES TO HAPPEN TO OUR MOTHERS,DAUGHTERS,SISTERS AND SO ON.

GOD HAS GIVEN YOU THIS MESSAGE I HOPE,PRAY,TRUST YOU WILL ACT AND MOVE IN THE POWER OF TRUTH AND LOVE .I BLESS YOU AND THANK YOU FOR YOUR PATIENCE,TIME,AND COMPASSION. PLEASE DO SEE THAT PAULA GETS THIS EMAIL

A SHOW LIKE THIS WILL NOT ONLY GET PEOPLE TALKING,BUT THINKING,AND HONORING THE RIGHT TO KNOW ALL THE INFORMATION AVAILABLE .

AS NO ONE CAN MAKE AN INFORMED DESCION WITHOUT ALL THE INFORMATION.IN BRINGING THIS OUT IN THE OPEN ,YOU WILL NOT ONLY BRING TO LIGHT WHAT HAS/IS DELIBERATELY,WRONGFULLY,UNETHICALLY,AND MORE BEEN KEPT IN THE DARK.AND WILL

LITERALLY REACH,HELP,AND SAVE VAST NUMBERS OF YOUNG GIRLS/WOMENS HEALTH AND LIVES THAT HAVE THE RIGHT AND NEED TO KNOW.AS THE PRESENT AND FUTURE OF OUR YOUNG GIRLS ,AND WOMENS PRECIOUS PRICELESS HEALTH AND LIVES ARE AT HIGH RISK;IN HIGH JEOPARDY.ALL SO UNNECESSARILY.

FOR SO MANY REASONS ONE BEING THIS IS THE ONLY SUBJECT OF UTMOST SIGNIFICANCE THAT THE MEDIA

REFUSES TO TALK ABOUT AND NEEDS TO ADDRESS.

THE TRUTH ABOUT BREAST IMPLANTS.NEEDS TO COME OUT IN THE OPEN.

YOUNG GIRLS AND WOMEN HAVE EVERY RIGHT;WANT/NEED/DESERVE TO HAVE ACCESS TO ALL THE INFORMATION. NOT ONE-SIDED,CONTROLLED INFORMATION.

WHICH IS SADLY WHY THIS HEALTH AND LIFE THREATENING SURGERY IS ON THE RISE;UP ATLEAST 750%, AND WHY LITERALLY HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF YOUNG GIRLS AND WOMEN AND COUNTING ARE DEATHLY ILL FROM SILICONE POISONING FROM BREAST IMPLANTS.NOT ONLY ARE WE PROOF OF THE TRUTH;SISTERS IN SILICONE (HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS AND COUNTING;THERE IS ALSO OVERWHELMING MEDICAL;SCIENTIFIC EVIDENCE;PROOF OF THE TRUTH TO BOOT.YOU;THE PUBLIC HAS NO IDEA THE PROOF OF THE TRUTH IS EVERYWHERE BUT IS CONTROLLED.ITS SHOCKING,SCARY,SAD,AND SO MUCH MORE. (ALL IMPLANTS CONTAIN SILICONE AND NEARLY 40 OTHER KNOWN TOXIC CHEMICALS THAT LEAK,RUPTURE,LITERALLY BLEED,AND BREATHE INTO THE BODY;BLOOD STREAM;IMMUNE SYSTEM IN TURN CAUSING THE BODY;PRECIOUS IMMUNE SYSTEM

TO TURN ON AND ATTACK ITSELF.

HENCE SILICONE POISONING;SILICONE ASSOCIATED DISEASES.

NO BREAST IMPLANT IS SAFE

PARENTS UNKNOWINGLY ARE GIVING THESE TOXIC TICKING TIMEBOMBS ;CLEVERLY CALLED BREAST IMPLANTS AS PROM,GRADUATION,BIRTHDAY GIFTS.WOMEN EQUALLY LINING UP IN HIGHER NUMBERS TO GET THEM TOO.AS THEY ACTUALLY BELIEVE IT WILL IMPROVE THE QUALITY AND QUANTITY OF THEIR HEALTH AND LIFE;

WHEN IN FACT IT HAS AND CONTINUES TO LITERALLY ROB YOUNG GIRLS AND WOMEN OF THEIR PRECIOUS;PRICELESS HEALTH/LIVES FOREVER CHANGING THE QUALITY AND QUANTITY OF THEIR HEALTH/LIVES.

TRUTHFULLY,GETTING OR HAVING BREAST IMPLANTS IS JUST LIKE PLAYING RUSSIAN ROULETTE WITH YOUR PRECIOUS;PRICELESS

HEALTH AND LIFE AND IN REALIZING THIS AND WHAT IS AT STAKE;THE ODDS AREN'T IN ANYONES FAVOR.

THIS IS NOT ONLY AN EXELLENT SHOW IDEA FOR PAULA ZAHN NOW OUT IN THE OPEN.BUT AN MAJOR ISSUE THAT NEEDS TO BE BROUGHT OUT IN THE OPEN AS SO MANY PRECIOUS PRICELESS HEALTH AND LIVES LITERALLY HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS HAVE AND CONTINUE TO BE AT RISK ALL SO UNNECESSARILYTHIS IS THE PERFECT PLACE;VENUE;OUTLET TO DISCUSS WHAT SADLY CONTINUES TO BE NOT ONLY A SILENT EPIDEMIC;BUT PANDEMIC.

IF YOU WERE TO ASK ME AND OR THE PUBLIC. YOU WOULD HEAR FROM SO MANY,MANY,MANY YOUNG GIRLS AND WOMEN WHO ARE SUFFERING FROM SILICONE POISONING.HAVE LOST THEIR HEALTH;FOREVER,CHANGING THEIR LIVES;VIRTUALLY EVERY ASPECT.THIS EFFECTS US ON EVERY POSSIBLE LEVEL;EVERY PART OF OUR LIVES.YOU;THE PUBLIC HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA;UNDERSTANDABLY SO;AND CAN;T EVEN IMAGINE THE MANY ISSUES WE ARE FORCED TO FACE.BECAUSE OF THIS SILICONE MADNESS AND SADNESS AND AT THE SANME TIME;TOO MANY,TOO MANY GETTING ONLY SICKER AND SICKER.

IF YOU CONTACT ME ,I'D LOVE TO BE ON THE SHOW.AS I REFUSE TO LIVE OR DIE ALL IN VAIN;ALL FOR NOTHING.AS I KNOW YOUNG GIRLS,WOMEN,AND FAMILIES NEED THIS VALUABLE HEALTH/LIFE SAVING INFORMATION.

YOU CAN SEE THE TRANSCRIPT A RARE INTERVIEW OF MINE RECORDED AT HOME AND PLEASE REQUEST A COPY OF THE TAPE TO SEE IT.

WITH KKTV CHANNEL 11 NEWS COLORADO SPRINGS COLORADO

CALLED,"EXPLANTS"I BELIEVE IT WAS IN FEBRUARY O4/O5?

I HAVE HAD QUITE A FEW OTHER,MAJOR INTERVIEWS

BUT NOT ABLE TO DO THEM

UNLESS AT HOME.

I HAVE AND WANT TO CONTINUE TO HELP,LOVE,SERVE AS MANY YOUNG GIRLS AND WOMEN EVERY WAY I POSSIBLY CAN.BECAUSE I HAVE WARRANTED FEAR FOR ALL YOUNG GIRLS AND WOMEN WHO HAVE,HAD,AND GOD FORBID ARE ACTUALLY CONSIDERING GETTING BREAST IMPLANTS.AS I SAID,I REFUSE TO LIVE OR DIE ALL IN VAIN;ALL FOR NOTHING.

THIS HAS BEEN AND IS MY PASSION;MY MISSION;

I KNOW IT IS MORE BLESSED TO GIVE THAN TO RECEIVE AND IN SIMPLY SHARING;TELLING OUR TRUE STORIES WITH/TO OTHERS LITERALLY REACHES AND SAVES COUNTLESS

PRECIOUS;PRICELESS HEALTH AND LIVES!

IN IT ALL,ABOVE IT ALL,AND THROUGH IT ALL;

I HAVE AND CONTINUE TO MAKE A BIG DIFFERENCE FOR THE BETTER IN THE HEALTH/LIVES OF SO MANY OTHERS;(VIA THE INTERNET MOSTLY)

I GIVE GLORY TO GOD NOT I.

THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR PATIENCE,TIME AND COMPASSION

BLESS YOU.

PLEASE PRAY FOR ME AND ALL MY SISTERS IN SILICONE.

April 2, 2007, 10:08 pm CDT

implants

Quote From: ohdang13

Hi. I am thinking about having my breasts lifted them getting saline implants. Has anyone in here had this done yet? And could you tell me if you found it benificial to you? I am only 36 but had to have an emergency hystorectomy a year ago and since then I went from a DD to a B cup. I am not happy with how my breast look now. My husband says they are fine and he would not change a thing but I hate  looking at myself in the mirror now! I feel like I not only lost a huge part of what makes me a woman but now my breasts have gone too.

Anyone out there that knows how I feel and have made a choice to implant please give me your advice.

Waiting patiently...Ohdang13

I've just recently had three surgeries for post-mastectomy breast reconstruction.  If not for the mastectomy, I wouldn't have done the implants.  I was a AAA before the surgery...now with implants I am a B cup, and very happy with the size.  Only the left breast was removed for the mastectomy, but  I had implants placed on both sides to make the breasts match.  I had a breast lift on the right side when the implants were placed.  Although it looks good from the outside, the scars are very painful, and I have to be very selective about bras.  Underwire bras are unbearable (always have been).  Any pressure on the scars is painful.  Also, the breast that had the lift is still sore around the nipple...scar tissue.  There is still a scar around the nipple, where the lift was done.

Were you looking to improve your looks naked, or in clothes? 

I had a hysterectomy because of the breast cancer (long story), plus I lost a breast.  I feel NO LESS of a woman after losing those body parts.  I have all the kids I want (three boys), and I am certainly done nursing them (the youngest is 9).

You didn't say why your breasts got smaller.  Was it a hormone thing?  I'd say that you should consult with a plastic surgeon...make your decision based on what you feel is best for you.  Personally, I don't think I would have liked being a size DD.  I like my new B cup sized breasts...but again, I would not have even considered implants if not for the mastectomy.

April 4, 2007, 5:04 pm CDT

Breast Implants

I am considering the possiblity of having breast implants.  I am researching this procedure and would like to hear from those that have had this procedure.  If you wouldn't mind sharing your story with me I would love to read it.  What is a consultation like? Or better yet-what happens during this consultation?  In addition, what is the average cost involved?  I realize that all procedures will vary in price but what is the average bottom line?  I am 38 yr.

Thanks -

April 10, 2007, 9:16 am CDT

breast implants

Quote From: skypilot92

I am considering the possiblity of having breast implants.  I am researching this procedure and would like to hear from those that have had this procedure.  If you wouldn't mind sharing your story with me I would love to read it.  What is a consultation like? Or better yet-what happens during this consultation?  In addition, what is the average cost involved?  I realize that all procedures will vary in price but what is the average bottom line?  I am 38 yr.

Thanks -

I recently had breast implants for breast reconstruction after mastectomy for breast cancer.  If not for the mastectomy, I would not have had the implants.  I was pretty flat-chested before, but I did fine with padded bras.

I really do like the results of the reconstruction.  The plastic surgeon is great.  Because of the mastectomy, it was a three-step process.  First, a tissue expander was placed on the side where the mastectomy was done...this was to stretch the scar tissue.  Next, the implants were placed on both sides (to make them match), and a breast lift was done on the breast that wasn't removed.  Last, I had a nipple graft, with skin from the groin.

I went from AAA to a B cup.  I wouldn't recommend getting "melons"...B cup is perfect.  On a recent visit to with my family, my sister said "nice rack".  I do look much better in clothes, and I look slimmer.

Be prepared, though, for a long recovery period.  I wasn't allowed to raise my arms for 6 weeks, and it is very painful for awhile.  Now that I have recovered, I have no more pain.

In the consultation, the plastic surgeon explains the process.  Ask to see his procedure book, where there are before and after pictures of women who have actually had the procedure done.  The pictures don't show anybody's face...just the torso.  Also, ask how many women he has done breast implants for.  Ask how many of the procedures he does per month.  It is important to have a surgeon who is experienced.  You might also ask the local general surgeon's office who they would recommend for plastic surgery.  Also, ask your general doctor.  Don't go to a doctor that your own doctor wouldn't recommend.  Be sure to ask lots of questions, and if you think of more questions later, don't hesitate to ask for another consultation to get your questions answered.  In the consultation, the doctor will want to see your breasts, and he/she will give you an idea of what can be done with them.

I got the new silicone implants...much more durable than the ones they used to use.  There are also saline implants available.  My silicone implants look and feel very natural...you would never know that I had implants.

I have scars at the bottom of my breasts, but they are hidden in the crease below the breasts.  The scars are painful still, when I wear a bra...which I have to wear 24/7 for awhile, to let the breasts form the "scar pockets" that hold the implants in place within the breasts.  I never could wear underwire bras..very painful.  Now, the underwire bras are forbidden for several months.  There are plenty of nice bras out there that don't have underwires.

My insurance paid for the breast implants because it was for breast reconstruction.  The surgeon's fee is separate from the surgery facility fee.  The total between the doctor and the facility charges was around $8000 each time I went in for the three surgeries.  Conventional breast implants (not for reconstruction) is a one-step process, so it would be only one charge of around $8000.

There are risks involved with any surgery.  You have to be put under general anesthetic, which carries its own risks.  Also, you have the risk of infection of the surgery area.  I was put on antibiotic after the procedures to help prevent infection.  Also, the implants are only expected to last 20 to 30 years, and then, they might have to be redone.  My sister-in-law had implants placed in the 1970's, when they were relatively new for wide-spread use.  Recently, she had to have them re-done because one of them broke.  The newer implants that they use now are much more durable, but there is still a risk of having to have them redone in the distant future.

Do your research ahead of time, so you will know what questions to ask at the consultation.  Usually, the consultation is free.  Look online for information on breast implants.  Learn about the procedure, and then make sure that you are getting a reputable and respected plastic surgeon.

I hope this info is helpful for you...Becky

April 18, 2007, 6:34 pm CDT

Quote From: 14colleen

I'd say it has changed my life for the better.  I'm much more confident than I ever was.  I am wearing tank tops for the first time since I was a child.  I wear them all the time now.  But then I had plastic surgery after a gastric bypass so it's a combination of weight loss and surgery to remove excess skin.  I'm having the time of my life.  It's not about dating but having the freedom to just be comfortable in my own skin (albeit altered by a doctor). 

gidk

April 21, 2007, 6:56 am CDT

Why I want Surgery

Quote From: latinamama

I am a graduate student after a 12 year absence.  My husband retired from the military and it is now MY TURN to have MY CAREER.  This is a milestone for me.  I love my family and appreciate the fruit God has blessed me with.  However, God hasn't put me all back together again.  I'd like a tummy tuck, Dr. Phil, to get back the tummy I once had. It was never flat to begin with, just MUCH FLATTER than it is now.  If God has sent you to me, Dr. Phil, then I pray for wisdom and discernment for you as you help me achieve this, the ultimate milestone for me.  Bless you!!!!!

I had a tummy tuck , for all the same reasons . Don't do it ! I DID all the research on my BOARD CERTIFIED surgeon .He had EVERY certificate and license there is . I'd rather have my child bearing body BACK , then what a MESS I have now ! My sister had a successful one , I didn't !

It's a 50/50 gamble ! Good Luck Sincerely !

April 21, 2007, 7:11 am CDT

Yikes to 911

Quote From: extreme406

Dear Hope911: 

This is a terrible thing, and the previous person is right, get an attorney. It will help pay maybe for a pro- in plastic. They do not usually take coverages, it is the least they can do.  

Medicine is not an exact science, but it is important for them to account for their rushing , sloopy practices, or claiming because "they did this kind of surgery before, several time". After they goof up on someone that person meets some of the other products of their several times.  

I live with a mess too, but I can hide mine, as long as I do not plan on a relationship with a husband.  But, I know where I would be if I were you, that bitterness is from being left with the mess, and they still are doing it. You suffer the loss and they got paid for it.  

Please, if you can find some other way , other than surgery again. If you get relief from this, and I pray you do, find out about his back round, and attorney can do that also. Then find something new in your life, fight your way out , it can get depressing, but do not allow it to settle in, go out, call a friend or family member. Get in volved in a group that helps others, how??? Just call, most will never turn away a willing soul.   

I promise you this, if you can get involve in any way helping others, you will emotional stay afloat. Never let it control you, you are incharge.  My heart goes out too you, and I pray you gain  the courage to fight back.  Do what you can, and know the rest is in God's hands.  

I hope someone can help you, and it will not be to risky.  

Best regards. 

Extreme206 

I don't know if you've had any luck with the legal system or not . I did not ! Before the time ran out I hired a top notch Attorney , even talked to a famous Attorney's office , and they confirmed I had  avery good Attorney . The problem was ( I also have before and after pictures ) getting one sugeon to testify against another surgeon . So here I sit with my BOTCHED, tummy tuck , and lots of pictures ( my 83yr.old Mother cried looking at it )and BIG legal files , and oh well , such is life . Some people can do whatever they want to other people , and get away with it !

April 27, 2007, 2:21 pm CDT

Quote From: flags08

I just want to comment on how so many people are basically yelling at everyone for having some form of cosmetic surgery done. Why are you yelling a them? It has no affect on your life unless you know the person. Wanda Sykes said something great about this. Granted it was about gay marriage, but it works here too. She said "If you dont belive gay marriege is right, then dont marry someone that is same sex as you." Here, it could be that if you dont agree with it, the dont have it done.  And anyone having breast implants for example knows that any surgery, even just having you tonsils out is dangerous. We get it. My surgeon explained to me that implants are usually safe because the body forms scar tissue around it and that if it were to break, the tissue would contain most of it, so only a little bit would escape by the time they went to either have it replaced or removed. Most of the poisoning stories didn't happen to every single person like people here seem to be trying to sell. If it did, then why are they still available?  Besides, if the person did want to be sure they were taking the safer route, there's always saline (salt water). Before you start yelling at people about silicone poisoning etc, why not say, oh wait, maybe they have saline. I personally have silicone, but I wouldn't trade having had my surgery for the world. Can people please just stop yelling at everyone and posting page long stats and going on about 'god' and all that. Even if I believed a god did exist, it would have no say in what I did with my life. I'm sure that many people are tired of being screamed at over the computer by people that don't affect their lives in the slightest bit. I know I am.
i agree it shouldnt matter what other people are doing to their bodies! by the way i would really like to get mine done but im stuck on silicone or saline what is the difference in looks? and feel?

April 28, 2007, 8:55 pm CDT

Quote From: daniellemarie

i agree it shouldnt matter what other people are doing to their bodies! by the way i would really like to get mine done but im stuck on silicone or saline what is the difference in looks? and feel?
As far as looks, I don't think theres much is any a differance. Either way its a sack of some kind of solution. I think the feel is about the same too. However, the saline doesnt last as long in the implant itself. When I went for a second consultation with my surgeon she showed me both types so I could see what I was choosing between. She had filled the saline one a few weeks before (I want to say three, but I don't remember how long exactly, it was over a year ago) but it was more then half emty. I went for the silcone becasue the idea of a balloon in me kinda creeped me out. I was used to silcone from my prosthetics, so they seemed more normal to me anyway. I don't know of any noticable differances when looking at it after its in, but you could ask to see pictures and see if you see a differance.

First | Prev | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | Next | Last