Message Boards

Topic : How Plastic Surgery Has Changed My Life

Number of Replies: 138
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 04:57:56 pm
Author : dataimport
Has plastic surgery changed your life for the better, made it worse, or not changed it at all? Share your stories here.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 28, 2007, 9:21 pm CDT

Look into it!

Quote From: skypilot92

I am considering the possiblity of having breast implants.  I am researching this procedure and would like to hear from those that have had this procedure.  If you wouldn't mind sharing your story with me I would love to read it.  What is a consultation like? Or better yet-what happens during this consultation?  In addition, what is the average cost involved?  I realize that all procedures will vary in price but what is the average bottom line?  I am 38 yr.

Thanks -

I've had salines for 2 years now and love them.  I went from a small B to a moderate D, perfect and very well-proportioned on my frame. The cost varies depending on your location, but the procedures typically run between $3k to $7k-- mine was about $5000 and I am in the Denver area.  It's usually more expensive on the coasts and cheaper in the middle of the country, like everything else :-)

At a consultation, the surgeon will go over the procedure, possible risks and complications, recovery-- almost anything you can think of. It's enormously important that you do your research, as you are doing, so you can have realisitc expectations of the procedure and results. The surgeon will evaluate your specific situation and goals--everyone is a little different; that's why eveyone has a different recovery story. Go to as many consultations as you need to with as many different surgeons as you need in order to feel comfortable--it's important that you trust your surgeon. Make sure the doctor you choose is board-certified and don't be afraid to grill him/her! Ask how many of these procedures he's done, his rate of infection, rate of complications, etc.

My recovery was very easy-- I had very little real pain, just stiffness and soreness. Other people have different experiences, but just know that they're not all horror stories!  Of course you will always hear about the complications and problems-- those of us who are happy with our results don't talk about it so much.

A great website to use for research is www.implantinfo.com. They have checklists you can print out and bring to the consult to make sure you get the info you need. Also, there's a book called "The Best Breast" which has good info, and addresses the whole silicone-poisoning myth as well.

I was 37 when I had mine done and I am so happy I did!  You know, I work out and weight train regularly, and I have to say no one has EVER criticized me for changing the shape of my body through exercise and diet-- I've gotten nothing but reinforcement and praise for making my butt smaller or my biceps more defined. But somehow when you want to change something through surgery, it becomes a moral issue that everyone feels entitled to comment upon! I am educated, well-employed, intelligent and spiritual; I am not appearance-obsessed or any of the stereotypes I'm hearing on here-- I simply want to look and feel my best.

Good luck and email me through my profile if you have any more questions!

May 30, 2007, 5:26 am CDT

redundant skin

Does anyone know of any programs that help people to have redundant skin removed?  I lost a lot of weight and have kept it off, Im happy with my accomplishments but would like to wear shorts or even a swimsuit once in my life.  Also, I have just earned my BA and would like to have more physical confidence in front of future students.  No insurance at this time (from what Ive heard it wouldn't help anyway) and cannot take any money from the present limited family budget.  Any suggestions?

June 19, 2007, 8:42 am CDT

How Plastic Surgery Has Changed My Life

Quote From: skypilot92

I am considering the possiblity of having breast implants.  I am researching this procedure and would like to hear from those that have had this procedure.  If you wouldn't mind sharing your story with me I would love to read it.  What is a consultation like? Or better yet-what happens during this consultation?  In addition, what is the average cost involved?  I realize that all procedures will vary in price but what is the average bottom line?  I am 38 yr.

Thanks -

I had implants done and I absolutely love them!  They have changed my life so much. I am so much happier and prettier than I ever was before. I went from a C to a D cup and it was the best thing that has ever happened to me. almost every aspect of my life improved after I had them done. but the most important thing is not how it makes you look to other people (don't get me wrong that part is so great!) but what's more important is what it does for you on the inside. when I look in the mirror I feel like I am somehow more of a woman than I was before.  And it has changed my relationship with my husband completely! I won't go into details but just know that he showers me with attention now and I  get almost anything I want.  We've always had a good relationship but now it's better than ever.  It has effected every aspect of my life from my husband to my friends to my kids even! They tell me I'm beautiful! I wake up with a new excitement for life everyday and I've never loved shopping for clothes more!

I would recommend getting implants to any woman who wanted to improve her life. They are the best thing that has ever happened to me.

Mine were $9,000 and it was worth every penny. Even my husband says so!

July 10, 2007, 11:36 pm CDT

Tummy Tuck - Yes or No

Hi, I am thinking about having a tummy tuck and would like some thoughts. I am based in India and am thinking about having the surgery here - does anyone know of anyone who had surgery in India or has anyone had it themselves? I am looking at using Dr Mohan Thomas who was trained in USA, and is also a lecturer at Mont Sani - anyone have any information on him? Anything would be appreciated. Thank you.

August 27, 2007, 7:44 pm CDT

Tummy Tuck Questions

I hope someone reads this from time to time because the last post was several months ago. I am scheduled to have a tummy tuck in three weeks. I'm 5'4" and weigh 170 pounds. I look ok except for horrific stomach from three kids all c-section. I guess I'm alittle scared and have stupid questions like was everyone ok with their belly button if they had a full tummy tuck. I'm nervous it will look odd. Also, how much weight loss is taken off when they cut out your excess skin/fat, etc. ?? How much weight is actually there and taken out? I know its  not a weight loss tool and that is not why im doing it but I'm just curious and can't find the answer anywhere. If anyone who's had a tummy tuck could tell me, I would really appreciate it.

September 15, 2007, 4:40 pm CDT

I was On The Swan Season 2 Nov. 1st 2004

My name is Lorrie. I was one of the stars of The Swan season 2.  I can honestly say that having plastic surgery has had more downs than ups...

I applied for the show because of the "promise" of intensive therapy. I had an abusive mother that led to emotional eating which led to reaching 265 pounds in 1995( I was 25). I lost weight and then had to deal with lots of body issues(another reason I applied for the show). I thought that cosmetic surgery would be a "cure-all" , lots of people think that way but it isn't  always so. The emotional scars need to be healed first followed by real therapy to make sure that you're ready to make any physical changes.

My surgeon was awesome , a true miracle worker but in having the most surgery of any Swan in the history of the show not only did my looks change but my ethnicity went with it my children had a hard time as well. In 2002 they lost their father and felt as if I was taken away too.

I came home to a small town with a very Hollywood look. I have had a stalker and have been called a whore because of my breast implants. I'm still me in every way. I have all the emotional scars that I had before plus more, nothing was "Cured" only made worse.

I  beg anyone who is thinking of plastic surgery not to take it lightly,please don't think it's a cure all ,you may feel better initially but it may not last, it didn't for me. I'm still broken inside ..There is not enough glue in the world to "Patch me up"( thats how I feel).

Blessings,

Lorrie

October 16, 2007, 6:52 pm CDT

NOSE JOB

Ok, here goes!!  I cannot begin to describe how my nose job has changed my life!!!!  Let me first begin by saying I had the largest nose that I have ever seen in my life on anyone.  I am not kidding here!  It was not only extremely long but it had this hugh ball wrapped around the end.  Believe me when I say my Dr. even commented he had never seen so much cartilage on a nose.  I lived with teasing, laughing, insults my entire life.  I am a pretty easy going and enjoy life to the fullest.  When I turned 40 I went on  a field trip with my  six year old daughter and all the kids were laughing at my nose.  My daughter(love her) looked at me and didn't understand why they were laughing.  That was the turning point- among others!  I searched out a Dr. and decided to take the plunge.  I walked into his office, sat down and said "Guess why I'm here?"

It has taken years to convince myself that my nose is no longer an issue.  For the longest I kept waiting for the stares and they never came.  They looked at me and then looked away! It was wonderful!  Finally, at 40 years old!   It is so nice to walk into a resturant, go to the mall, go anywhere without people staring!  I only regret I didn't do this sooner.  My husband didn't care one way or the other whether I had this procedure done or not.  He saw my heart and not my nose.  You don't know how  much I amire him for that alone.  I am happy with my new nose.  It's not the small one that I picked out in People magazine but considering what I had anything would have been an improvement.  I still feel like the happy me- I just don't have to deal with all the flack that came with my nose.   I chose plastic surgery to change the outside.   I liked my inside and I just wanted to match up!!!!! 

October 25, 2007, 3:32 pm CDT

Facelift and Tinnitus

I am contemplating having a lower facelift (necklift) but have ringing in both ears and don't wish to make it worse.  Has anyone had a facelift who also has tinnitus?  Did your surgery go well?  I would sure appreciate any input.

December 11, 2007, 5:48 am CST

Plastic Surgery Does not "change your life!"

It's the process and the decision that changes your life.  I represent women considering plastic surgery by giving them the facts necessary to make an intellegent decsion.  I have over 12 years of experience WORKING in a plastic surgeons office.  I was the administrator so I handled everything but the suregry.  I ALWAYS represented the patient.  Telling them the whole truth.  Sadly, most patients do not want the truth.  They have become accustom to words like "anti-anging, life-changing, and turn back the clock".  These are all marketing words that should not be a part of the decision to have plastic surgery.  My passion is to arm women with knowledge which is the true meaning of being rich. www.AngelaSegal.COM

December 11, 2007, 7:43 pm CST

Tinnitus

Quote From: julie1817

I am contemplating having a lower facelift (necklift) but have ringing in both ears and don't wish to make it worse.  Has anyone had a facelift who also has tinnitus?  Did your surgery go well?  I would sure appreciate any input.

Hi Julie,

Did you have your surgery yet?  I, too, have tinnitus and am contemplating a tummy tuck in the future.  I never considered that surgery could effect my tinnitus.  Please let me know what you think.  Thanks very much.  Linda

First | Prev | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | Next | Last