Message Boards

Topic : How Plastic Surgery Has Changed My Life

Number of Replies: 138
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 04:57:56 pm
Author : dataimport
Has plastic surgery changed your life for the better, made it worse, or not changed it at all? Share your stories here.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 2, 2006, 9:48 pm CST

How Plastic Surgery Has Changed My Life

Quote From: shellbe01

I have recently lost 50 pounds and am planing to loose another 50 to 80.  I have noticed how disgusting my body looks now.  Everything just hangs, it's gross.  Especially my breast.  Between childbirth, breastfeeding and weight loss, YUK!!!!!  So I was considering a boob job and maybe a tuck or whatever they can do to make the skin tighter.  I know working out will help, so I have joined the gym.  But I still may have the surgery.  Any comments or suggestions?????

I recently had my breasts augmented and am VERY happy with how the surgery turned out and what I see when I look in the mirror.   A balanced diet and exercise will not change your breasts.  Neither will the products you see advertised everywhere that claim to "increase your breast size by at least a cup."  I wasted my money on those products . . . don't waste yours.  I thought about having the procedure done for almost 10 years and wish I had done it sooner.  It wasn't all rainbows and butterflies because it was exspensive and the recovery was painful but I think it was worth it.  I did a lot of research on-line then found a reputable doctor complete with impressive references and a great attitude.  (If you aren't comfortable . . . keep looking!)  I hope this helps.  Good luck! 

February 2, 2006, 9:59 pm CST

How Plastic Surgery Has Changed My Life

Quote From: daymann

Ok. my tummy tuck is tomorrow.I guess no one needs to reply.  Just think of me when I'm under and prey for me for a speedy recovery.
I hope your procedure went well and you are as comfortable as possible for your recovery.  Move slowly and let someone else do whatever it is that needs to be done until your doctor says it's okay.  The pain WILL go away so stay strong until then.  Happy Healing!

February 5, 2006, 5:57 pm CST

Good Lord stop screaming at people

Quote From: crusadercc

PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CHECK OUT THIS WEBSITE  

ALL KINDS OF INFORMATION AND SUPPORT; 

PLEASE KNOW ALTHOUGH ALOT OF SYMPTOMS ARE LISTED 

IN ASSOCIATION TO SILICONE POISONING;SILICONE ASSOCIATED DISEASES; 

FROM BREAST IMPLANTS;MANY ARE NOT. 

I ENCOURAGE AND URGE THOSE WHO HAVE,HAD OR ARE CONSIDERING GETTING THESE UNSAFE TOXIC TICKING TIMEBOMBS TO PLEASE CHECK OUT THE FOLLOWING WEBSITE 

LISTED BELOW,WHICH OFFERS YOUNG GIRLS AND WOMEN HOPE AND STRENGTH  

AMONG OTHER THINGS TO PLEASE ALSO CHECK OUT THE FOLLOWING WEBSITES; 

AS IT MAY JUST HELP,REACH,AND SAVE YOUR PRECIOUS;PRICELESS HEALTH;LIFE 

AND SO MANY OTHERS! MAYBE YOU OR SOMEONE,PEOPLE YOU KNOW! 

THE SILICONE HOLOCAUST 

BREAST IMPLANTS TRUTH OR DARE 

BREAST IMPLANTS THE HIDDEN PARTS 

THE NATIONAL  INSTITUTE OF CANCER SPELLS OUT RISKS OF BREAST IMPLANTS 

KACEY LONG 

( ONE OF MY MANY  SISTERS /FRIENDS WEBSITE;ALSO;JUST ONE OF LITERALLY HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS AND COUNTING  YOUNG GIRLS AND WOMEN SUFFERING SILICONE POISONING;SILICONE ASSOCIATED DISEASES FROM ALL BREAST IMPLANTS) 

IN THE KNOW ( CELEBRITY WEBSITE;) 

DR. FRANK  VASSEY;WHERE THERES SMOKE THERES FIRE 

DR. HENRY JENNYS SILLYCONES COMMENTS; 

DOCTOR HENRY JENNY IS THE INVENTOR OF THE SALINE IMPLANT! 

HE WAS PULLED OF LARRY KING LIVE JUST SECONDS BEFORE HE 

WAS GOING TO TELL AMERICA;OTHERS THE UGLY TRUTH ABOUT ALL BREAST IMPLANTS 

JUST ANOTHER PRIME EXAMPLE OF THE $$$$$$$$CONTROLLED MEDIA. 

JENNY JONES WEBSITE;HER BREAST IMPLANT STORY; 

IT IS BELIEVED SHE LOST HER SHOW BECAUSE OF TELLING THE PUBLIC THE TRUTH 

AGAIN ANOTHER PRIME EXAMPLE OF THE $$$$$$$$CONTROLLED MEDIA 

STEVIE NICKS AND MANY OTHER CELEBS HAVE BECOME VERY SICK FROM BREAST IMPLANTS ALSO. 

BREAST IMPLANT AWARENESS  

SISTERS OF SALINE;SOS 

EXPLANTTION.COM 

BREAST IMPLANT SURGERY HAS INCREASED BY WHOPPING PERCENTAGES; 

SADLY SILICONE POISONING;SILICONE ASSOCIATED DISEASES COUNTINUES TO RISE; 

BUT YOU DON'T HEAR ABOUT THOSE WHOPPING PERCENTAGES! 

FOR IT SADLY COUNTINUES TO BE A SILENT EPIDEMIC;CLEARLY MORE AWARENESS NEEDS TO BE MADE AS THIS CAN HAPPEN TO YOU OR ANYONE YOU KNOW! 

NO BREAST IMPLANT IS SAFE! NO BREAST IMPLANT IS SAFE! NO BREAST IMPLANT IS SAFE! 

I CAN PROVIDE YOU MANY,MANY MORE WEBSITES  AND SO MUCH MORE;  

THAT TELL AND SHOW THE PROOF OF THE TRUTH=  NO BREAST IMPLANT IS SAFE! 

I MYSELF AM DEATHLY ILL FROM BREAST IMPLANTS ( that i received as a birthday gift; 

sadly countless young girls and women receive these unseemingly dangerous;deadly devices 

as birthday;gradution gifts and gifts from others or to/for themselves; 

"SOME GIFT "ONE YOU MAY ALWAYS REMEMBER;NEVER FORGET;TOTALLY REGRET)! 

ALSO REMEMBER I AM HERE TO HELP,LOVE,AND SERVE YOU IN ANY EVERY WAY I CAN 

ITS WHAT I DO IN MANY WAYS;EVERY DAY AS I REFUSE TO LIVE OR DIE FROM SILICONE POISONING,SILICONE ASSOCIATED DISEASES ALL IN VAIN;ALL FOR NOTHING! 

OK HERE IS THE WEBSITE I MENTIONED;BELOW; 

PLEASE CHECK OUT THE OTHERS I MENTIONED ABOVE TOO! 

IN TRUTH AND LOVE CINDY  

P.S. PLEASE PRAY FOR ME AND THE MANY,MANY,MANY OTHERS SUFFERING SO SEVERELY!  

MUCH PRAYER IS NEEDED AND PRAYER IS POWERFUL!  

SILICONE SENSITIVITY AWARENESS MINISTRY 

"But the Lord said to Samuel, 'Do not look on his appearance or on the height of his stature, because I have rejected him; for the Lord sees not as people see; people look on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart.'"
THE SILICONE SENSITIVITY AWARENESS MINISTRY "SSAM" PROJECT
Rev. Dona J. Behmer, Director
2056 Hwy 154 Sp.#9, Santa Ynez, CA 93460
805-570-2297 or 805-686-3098
E-mail: pstrdna@msn.com 

Return to the:
The Silicone Sensitivity Awareness Ministry Project Home Page 

The Director's Story 

I was 27 when I found the first painful lump in my breast. The doctors said I had fibrocystic breast disease, which meant that the tumors and cysts in my breasts were benign. This seemed to be great news, however, by the time I was 29, both my breasts were completely filled with cysts and tumors and the pain had become almost unbearable. I was stunned to learn that the only cure (at that time) was surgery. The price to pay for pain relief was a bi-lateral mastectomy. However, my shock and grief soon turned to relief and joy, when my doctor suggested immediate reconstruction using silicone gel implants. Although the doctors admitted I would be their "guinea pig," (I would be the first woman they had ever done a mastectomy and reconstruction using implants in one surgery in that particular major hospital), I was assured that the surgery and the implants were "absolutely safe." I was thrilled. Not only would I have relief from my constant and excruciating pain, but I would "look great forever" in a bathing suit as well. The surgery went smooth and recovery was uneventful.
          In the years following surgery, I tried to ignore the constant pain in my hands and joints. As years passed, however, new symptoms continued to appear, but the doctors could find nothing wrong. I was always able to find some rationalization (usually stress and overwork). I wrote if off to my family history of arthritis and my occupation as a bookkeeper, where I sat in one place and used my hands a great deal. The severe chest pain was more frightening. After several trips to the doctor, and many EKGs, showed nothing wrong, again, I wrote it off to stress and overwork.
          By the time six years had passed, both breasts had become hard and painful. “No problem,” said my plastic surgeon. He explained that sometimes some extra scar tissue forms and he would just need to manually squeeze the scar and it would “loosen up.” Though the process was very painful, he assured me it would only need to be done once. After that, I could just take a large dose of vitamin E, on a regular basis (I still take vitamin E), to keep it from happening again. The process seemed to work. Though my breasts seemed unbelievably tender, at least they were soft again. I have since learned, that what had happened to me is called extra capsular contracture, and is only one of many possible complications that can happen to a woman with breast implants. I also found out, that if my implants were not leaking or ruptured before this manual breaking of the scar capsule, it was a pretty good guarantee that they were afterward. But once again, I went on my way and continued to blame my increasing number of symptoms and health problems on stress and overwork.
          Years later, when the “media hype” began, I chuckled at my husband’s suggestion that my implants might be the source of my increasing health problems. I was in Seminary by then, working full time and carrying a heavy over load of graduate level classes, as I worked on my Masters of Divinity Degree. I assured my husband, it was just “stress and overwork,” and I would slow down right after graduation. I was focused on the excitement that my dreams for a college education, “mid-life” career change and “Ordination” were about to become a reality.
          In 1992, while serving as a pastor in two rural churches in South Dakota, my health completely fell apart. I could no longer deny the reality of my failing health. I was hospitalized twice with excruciating and still unexplainable chest pain. Medical tests seemed endless. I was poked, prodded, pricked, scanned and x-rayed. No one could identify the cause of my problems. I am sure at least some members, of the congregations I was serving, believed what some doctors suggested. It was “stress and overwork” and I was suffering a mental break down and needed to see a counselor and get some rest. I was blessed to have a husband, family and friends who refused to accept this explanation. In fear and frustration, my family and doctors decided to return me to California for further medical tests and care.
          At first, doctors in California, were no more successful than those in South Dakota had been, in identifying the source of my problems. State of the art cardiac testing, at UCLA Medical Center, showed my heart problem did not explain all of my symptoms. It turns out that I do have a “mysterious” lesion and 60% narrowing in a critical place in my heart. Doctors, however, had no other explanation. Even I began to believe the doctors in South Dakota.... maybe I was having a mental breakdown. I decided that I must be really mentally ill. I was so mentally ill that I actually believed I was not mentally ill. (Now that is mentally ill..... ha!ha!) I finally made the decision to check myself into the psychiatric ward of the local hospital. I was sure I had to be seriously mentally ill, otherwise, why couldn't I remember things? Why was it so difficult to carry on a routine conversation? Why did I have such a difficult time understanding concepts, etc. After crying all night one more time, I woke up one morning ready to make the call to my doctor, to make the arrangements to have myself committed. That same morning, however, a dear friend called with an idea. She had a daughter who had had silicone breast implants. Her daughter only had them for a few weeks and then had them removed because she was so sick. Her daughter had never recovered from the surgery from having the implants put in. This was several months later and she told me her daughter was finally starting to feel better. Her daughter even belonged to a support group for women who had problems with their breast implants and, it turns out, worked on the “hot line” for this group. My friend asked me if I would be willing to talk with her daughter about my health situation. When I agreed, she gave me her daughter’s number and I made the call. As I began to talk with this wonderful young woman about my symptoms, the most amazing thing happened. She actually began to describe my symptoms to me. I was stunned. How could this stranger possibly know about the tingling sensation in my left leg? How did she know that I had headaches, problems with my bladder and even about the pain in the center of my chest and in my upper back? How did she know that my hair was falling out and my eyes were hypersensitive to the sun? How did she know about my dry eyes and mouth? And on and on it went..... This incredible young woman then said the most wonderful and welcome words to me..... She said, “Your symptoms make sense!” She assured me that there were many other women out there who were suffering with the very same list of symptoms. Finally, someone believed that my physical symptoms made sense. I decided to delay my plans for psychiatric commitment...........
          In the Fall of 1993, I had truly reached an all time low. I had lost all ability to think and reason. I lived in constant pain. The decision to take my own life seemed so very logical. As I reflected on when (I already knew how) to carry out my plan, I was overwhelmed with thoughts of my precious granddaughter. She seemed to not even notice the changes in my life. She loved me unconditionally. As I thought of her, I thought about the rest of her life. Every time someone spoke of their grandmother, I could hear her reply, “Oh yes, I remember my Grammie, she killed herself when I four!” The decision to take my own life, which had seemed so logical just a few moments earlier, I knew was absolutely out of the question. I would not leave this legacy for my beautiful Princess. The next morning, I called a Christian counselor. As I look back, I realize that this was actually the beginning of my true healing. Not only is that beautiful Princess now a teenager but I now have 8 beautiful grandchildren (almost my own coed baseball team!). What wonder of life and love God has blessed me with. I shudder when I think of how close I came to missing the opportunity to revel in their love and all of their sweet faces and kisses and hugs. The future IS ALWAYS worth living.
          That Fall, at the recommendation of the daughter of my dear friend, I made an appointment to see and be examined by Dr. Eric Gershwin, at U.C. Davis in California. I am embarrassed to admit that, in spite of all of my overwhelming health problems, I still thought Dr. Gershwin, and his colleagues at U.C. Davis, were crazy when they told me that my silicone gel implants were my problem and recommended they be removed. I was fully disabled. I had lost most of my cognitive function (even spelling and writing my own name was a challenge). I was barely able to get around or to care for my own basic needs. I was so desperate..... I reluctantly agreed. After a long and unsuccessful fight to get my insurance company to pay for the much needed surgery (while my health continued to get worse each day), my husband and I were able to secure a personal loan and in May of 1994, I finally had surgery to remove my silicone gel breast implants.
          Dr. Gershwin and his colleagues were right. In spite of a breast MRI, which showed “apparently intact” breast implants, both implants were actually fully ruptured, and the silicone was spread well beyond the localized breast area. It was, in fact, spread throughout my whole system.
          It has been nine years since my implants were removed. Recovery has been slow to be sure, but I do get around much better. My hands and wrists are still a problem but I have learned ways to make the best of, and live with, this problem. I cry only occasionally (I still have some pretty rough days) and have even began to dream about returning to work as a parish minister some day. I am even able to play fun games with my grandchildren. Though my health clearly takes two steps forward and one step back, it does continue to improve. I am recovering.......
          Beyond my continuing physical recovery, however, something much more profound has happened to my life. I have discovered (or rather rediscovered) an incredible truth. I have discovered that, regardless of what else I may have lost or thought I lost, the only thing that really matters has not changed. JESUS CHRIST IS STILL ALIVE!! MY ETERNITY IS STILL GUARANTEED PAIN FREE!! I now realize that my hope rests totally upon this fact alone. My real hope is not, in any way, related to how well I do or do not get physically. I am sure that God loves me now as much as ever (even more than my precious granddaughter). Regardless of my physical or mental abilities (or lack thereof), I know I am a valuable servant of a Wondrous and Loving God who will give me whatever I need to be and do whatever is His will. There is no more marvelous sense of peace and joy to be known. I praise God not for my illness but for the revealed knowledge of His love I have come to know through it.
          Much evidence has surfaced about the use of silicone/saline breast implants. As time has passed, many women with silicone and saline breast implants (silicone bags filled with saline) have become sick. A frightening pattern has begun to develop. Many women are critically ill. Our illness is devastating our lives. Physical health is destroyed, our minds and memories are damaged. Our relationships with friends and families are strained to the limit. One husband described it as, “being married to the disease.” We face constant battles and skepticism from doctors, insurance companies and even from some family and friends. Hopefully, it will help to know you are not alone. There are others who are walking (or crawling as the case may be) the same path. If you would like more information about this problem or how to get in contact with others who suffer, please contact Rev. Dona Behmer at: pstrdna@msn.com
Note: Rev. Dona J. Behmer is an ordained Presbyterian Minister and Member-at-large of the Presbytery of Santa Barbara. She is married with three children and eight grandchildren and has lived on the Central Coast of California on and off for almost 30 years. She is a graduate of Dubuque Theological Seminary in Dubuque, Iowa. Though currently on long term disability, she serves on a volunteer basis, as the Director of The Silicone Sensitivity Awareness Ministry Project. 

Return to the:
The Silicone Sensitivity Awareness Ministry Project Home Page

You see it doesn't matter what your message is when you're screaming people just turn you off, tune you out & stop reading your message.  I forced myself to read part way into several of your posts to figure out what the heck you are talking about, but past that I stopped.  I simply cannot tolerate a post that is almost entirely in upper case letters.  1st it's so difficult to read and follow and of course upper case is considered yelling in the internet world & well yelling and screaming when people don't even know you is just extremely rude.  So just like me I'm sure there are many that figured you're just some irrational manic because you'd had a bad experience with plastic surgery/breast implants.  I know this probably isn't the case & you're just trying to look passionate as you're putting out a warning as loud as you can, but I'm telling you that you need to tone it down.  I know your intentions are good & I still can't get myself to read your entire post because I don't let people yell & scream at me.  I won't tolerate it. 

February 5, 2006, 9:22 pm CST

Get Help

Quote From: hope911

There are so many success stories on TV about make-overs and plastic surgery!
Please let me tell you my story.....

I live in an area where there are top notch medical facilities,
including Duke University Medical Center and UNC University Medical Center.

My experience with plastic surgery has been a disaster to say the least!!
I would like to know if and where there might be a support group
online for people like me,
that have gone through plastic surgery with the outcome a total screw up!

In late April 2002 I had reconstructive surgery including a face lift.
I was very pleased with and very happy about the outcome of this.
I went from looking saggy and tired and 62 years old
to about 45 years old and refreshed and no longer saggy!

The main thing and most important thing about this surgery was that
I had a horrible scar on my forehead and had sunken in place where the
bone had shrunk, and getting worse as time went on.
This resulted from having surgery to correct a brain aneurysm
9 years before.

That surgery was done at the same location as my doctor’s office.
I walked into the operating room that time,
and I walked away from the operating table!!
With help, of course!
Then I sat in a recliner for about 1 and 1/2 hours,
and my hubby drove me home.

A few months after the initial plastic surgery,
I started getting a rash all over my body and when I went to the doctor,
I was referred to a dermatologist, and he said I had HIVES!
He prescribed PREDNISONE. He did extensive testing and blood work
including biopsies, but never found the reason for the hives.

The hives would go away during the time I was taking the Prednisone,
then, every time I finished taking the prescription, the hives came back,
this went on for 6 months!

I was prescribed Prednisone from late July until late December, 2002.  

Early 2003, I was in need of a simple procedure when I went to visit
who I thought was an eye plastic surgeon, after my ophthalmologist recommended it,
because my bottom eye lashes in my left eye lid were turning inward and poking my eyeball.

The doctor that I went to told me he was board certified in plastic surgery
as well as ophthalmology,
(which I found out later was not true)
he was not and is not board certified in plastic surgery.
He suggested and advised that I needed some other work done as well,
and he said I'd get a 15% discount if I chose to get all of what
he suggested needed to be done.

He told me he was very surprised that the previous doctor had not done
these things for me, but that doctor was just an ENT, and he,
(this doctor) was much more qualified to do the work to help me
and that I needed.

I was in quite a lot of distress at the time with
my left eye lashes inverted and poking my eye ball,
causing me pain and a lot of tearing.
I didn't know better at the time and I trusted him as
I have always trusted my doctors and I agreed to the procedures
he advised me that I needed,
except when he said something about narrowing the eye lids,
I commented that it sounded like making my eyes smaller,
and I did not want that.

March 2003 the surgery was planned and scheduled to be done at
Durham Regional Hospital on a day surgery basis.

When the nurse inserted the anesthesia needle in my right hand,
I told her right away it was very painful.
She said ok, that's just normal...
During part of the surgery I was aware of people talking and laughing
and making small talk.

At one point I was crying and tears were rolling down my cheeks,
and the doctor said, what's wrong, dear?
I mumbled as best as I could that my hand hurt, hurt bad!
I heard a woman say, oh, that's normal.
Right away I felt a horrific burning pain shooting up my arm.

The next thing I remember was I heard people that
seemed to be in panic!
They were saying sit up Janet!
Sit Up and bend over as far as you can with your
head between your knees!
I tried to do as they said, but I couldn't, I was dead weight!
They helped raise my head up and lower it down between my knees.
Then again .... the same thing.... They were yelling at me !!!!!
JANET RAISE UP!!! RAISE UP AND
PUT YOUR HEAD DOWN BETWEEN YOUR KNEES!
Again I couldn't, because I was dead weight! I was very frightened too!
I didn't know what was happening and I didn't understand why
they were yelling at me!
Then I felt a deep deep pain in the corner of my right eye,
and I was groaning and starting to cry again.
Then I had a mask put over my face and people were yelling
BREATHE DEEP JANET!! BREATHE DEEP!

I don't remember anything after that until I woke up in a hospital room!

When I came to I was in a hospital room,
and my doctor was standing there
telling me and my husband,
"When I got in there he found no cheek bone.....
so I inserted some cheek implants made of "mylar"
and attached them with 2 tiny "titanium screws"
he then said, but, I didn't charge you for that dear!"

That was the first time I had heard a word about implants and screws
there in my hospital room. AFTER the surgery!

(I've often wondered how did he attach the implants to my cheek bones,
when he said ("when I got in there I found that you had no cheek bones")

He said he wanted me to stay there in the hospital over night for observation,
because he said I had been through quite a lot,
and he had given me Morphine, for the pain.
During the night I woke up, with my stomach swollen
and hard as a brick and was hurting!
I felt like I needed to go to the bathroom really bad!
My face was all bandaged up and I couldn't see, I was searching
for the buzzer, but I couldn't find it.
I was trying to call for help, but I could barely make a sound come out,
I was calling hellllp somebody please hellllp me!

Finally a nurse came in and I told her
I had been trying to call for help and I couldn't find the buzzer.
She said well, sweetie it's right there on the wall behind your bed....
I told her but I can't see, my face is all wrapped up, she said oooh yes,
I see that it is.
She put the buzzer beside me on the bed.
Then I told her I need to go to the bath room really bad!
She said well just go, you have a bag there, and you have a catheter.

I said but I can’t, it won't go, it won't happen. She said she'd be right back,
but she never came back.

Sometime later another nurse came in.
I told her the same thing that I needed to go to the bathroom.
She checked the catheter and said no wonder, this is inserted incorrectly.
She fixed it and I got relief.
Then I told her my hand was hurting really bad too.
She took my bandages off my face, and then I noticed
my hand was 3 times larger than normal and black and blue!
She took out the iv, and put an ice pack on my hand.
She was an angel sent by God from heaven to help me!

My doctor had told my husband to go home the night before,
that I would be sleeping all night and no need for him to stay...

My reason for adding this to my post is to say,
all surgery can be risky!
Especially when anesthesia is involved!
All doctors are not great surgeons,
and some cannot be trusted to have your best interest in mind.
All hospitals are not the safest place to be!

I was released from the hospital about 36 hours after I was checked in.

Right away after going home I noticed my other eye (my right eye)
that the eye lashes inverted
on the bottom and my right bottom lid was twisted inward
and both eyes were pinched in at the outer corners.
Thus making them very much smaller, and different
from the other.
This caused my right eyelid at the top and bottom to grow together
forming a "web like" affect at the outer corner of my right eye.

Every since then my eye lids have been deformed,
with my eye lashes growing inward poking in my right eyeball,
(Some doctors have cauterized some of the eyelashes
that were poking my eyeball, some have plucked them out with tweezers,
I have had to pluck some out with tweezers all along also.
My eye lids and my face always feel like they are on fire!!
My eyes are always tearing,
and they feel like something is sticking and pinching them!!

My face is lopsided and my cheeks look like huge marbles under the skin
high up on my cheek, (and each side different from the other)
My face has scars from the surgery all around my eyes and cheeks.
My upper eyelids and cheek areas feel numb and
like fine grit sand paper!!
My nose is larger now and crooked and always feels cold,
and I most always have a runny nose, and sneezing spells!

I've been to many doctors in this area including some at
Duke Hospital and UNC Hospital with little or no help!
They all tell me that there is so much damage already to
my facial tissues and nerves that they are afraid what ever they do will make it worse.

My whole life has changed, for the most part I lay around with a wet towel
on my face to help relieve the burning.
I've gained over 20 lbs, I've lost muscle tone, have very little strength
and energy,
I've lost mostly all of my social life.

There's a tremendous burden on my heart from the bitterness
I feel towards the doctor that did this to me!! I'm just going down hill fast!!!!
My mother lived an active live until she was 83, working for the most part 5 days a week!
Driving herself back and forth to work too!! Then she had to slow down because she fell,
and only lived 2 years after that.
My grandmorher lived until she was 92 and in good health until the end!

I was a happy grandmother and had a very close relationship
and very active with my grandchildren, and I miss that so very much!

I haven't given up hope yet, but I've been suffering needlessly for a very long time now!

I did some homework on this before I entered into it,
but not enough, evidently!! I was way too trusting of doctors
because I had never had any reason to not trust my doctors.

Dr. Phil, can you help me? please........
If anyone can offer any suggestions or help please let me know.

Thank you for reading, I know it was long, but it was short...... considering ...

hope911

PS: I have recently been to the Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Florida trying to get help..... Well, guess what? Nope, not even they cannot help me!!! Doctor there said too much tissue and nerve damage, same as the local doctors here have told me!!!!! He said he was afraid to take the implants out or to do anything to try to correct these problems would make even more tissue and nerve damage and more pain and more deformities to my face!!! Oh Lord.............

I just don't know what to do now!!! My eyes and my face are burning like fire and now even my lips are too!!! My lips are starting to look like dried up prunes too, like my eyes have done quite some time ago starting after the surgery in March 2003 >>> from the burning and the pain!!!
If there is anyone that might can help for me or tell me where I might be able to get help, please let me know, please get in touch with me, here through this message board, or at

hope91127511@aol.com

Thanks so much, Hope911

I am sorry to hear about your awful ordeal, but please contact a lawyer.

February 6, 2006, 6:16 am CST

I agree that you need to contact a good lawyer!

There are so many success stories on TV about make-overs and plastic surgery!
Please let me tell you my story.....

I live in an area where there are top notch medical facilities,
including Duke University Medical Center and UNC University Medical Center.

My experience with plastic surgery has been a disaster to say the least!!
I would like to know if and where there might be a support group
online for people like me,
that have gone through plastic surgery with the outcome a total screw up!

In late April 2002 I had reconstructive surgery including a face lift.
I was very pleased with and very happy about the outcome of this.
I went from looking saggy and tired and 62 years old
to about 45 years old and refreshed and no longer saggy!

The main thing and most important thing about this surgery was that
I had a horrible scar on my forehead and had sunken in place where the
bone had shrunk, and getting worse as time went on.
This resulted from having surgery to correct a brain aneurysm
9 years before.

That surgery was done at the same location as my doctor’s office.
I walked into the operating room that time,
and I walked away from the operating table!!
With help, of course!
Then I sat in a recliner for about 1 and 1/2 hours,
and my hubby drove me home.

A few months after the initial plastic surgery,
I started getting a rash all over my body and when I went to the doctor,
I was referred to a dermatologist, and he said I had HIVES!
He prescribed PREDNISONE. He did extensive testing and blood work
including biopsies, but never found the reason for the hives.

The hives would go away during the time I was taking the Prednisone,
then, every time I finished taking the prescription, the hives came back,
this went on for 6 months!

I was prescribed Prednisone from late July until late December, 2002.  

Early 2003, I was in need of a simple procedure when I went to visit
who I thought was an eye plastic surgeon, after my ophthalmologist recommended it,
because my bottom eye lashes in my left eye lid were turning inward and poking my eyeball.

The doctor that I went to told me he was board certified in plastic surgery
as well as ophthalmology,
(which I found out later was not true)
he was not and is not board certified in plastic surgery.
He suggested and advised that I needed some other work done as well,
and he said I'd get a 15% discount if I chose to get all of what
he suggested needed to be done.

He told me he was very surprised that the previous doctor had not done
these things for me, but that doctor was just an ENT, and he,
(this doctor) was much more qualified to do the work to help me
and that I needed.

I was in quite a lot of distress at the time with
my left eye lashes inverted and poking my eye ball,
causing me pain and a lot of tearing.
I didn't know better at the time and I trusted him as
I have always trusted my doctors and I agreed to the procedures
he advised me that I needed,
except when he said something about narrowing the eye lids,
I commented that it sounded like making my eyes smaller,
and I did not want that.

March 2003 the surgery was planned and scheduled to be done at
Durham Regional Hospital on a day surgery basis.

When the nurse inserted the anesthesia needle in my right hand,
I told her right away it was very painful.
She said ok, that's just normal...
During part of the surgery I was aware of people talking and laughing
and making small talk.

At one point I was crying and tears were rolling down my cheeks,
and the doctor said, what's wrong, dear?
I mumbled as best as I could that my hand hurt, hurt bad!
I heard a woman say, oh, that's normal.
Right away I felt a horrific burning pain shooting up my arm.

The next thing I remember was I heard people that
seemed to be in panic!
They were saying sit up Janet!
Sit Up and bend over as far as you can with your
head between your knees!
I tried to do as they said, but I couldn't, I was dead weight!
They helped raise my head up and lower it down between my knees.
Then again .... the same thing.... They were yelling at me !!!!!
JANET RAISE UP!!! RAISE UP AND
PUT YOUR HEAD DOWN BETWEEN YOUR KNEES!
Again I couldn't, because I was dead weight! I was very frightened too!
I didn't know what was happening and I didn't understand why
they were yelling at me!
Then I felt a deep deep pain in the corner of my right eye,
and I was groaning and starting to cry again.
Then I had a mask put over my face and people were yelling
BREATHE DEEP JANET!! BREATHE DEEP!

I don't remember anything after that until I woke up in a hospital room!

When I came to I was in a hospital room,
and my doctor was standing there
telling me and my husband,
"When I got in there he found no cheek bone.....
so I inserted some cheek implants made of "mylar"
and attached them with 2 tiny "titanium screws"
he then said, but, I didn't charge you for that dear!"

That was the first time I had heard a word about implants and screws
there in my hospital room. AFTER the surgery!

(I've often wondered how did he attach the implants to my cheek bones,
when he said ("when I got in there I found that you had no cheek bones")

He said he wanted me to stay there in the hospital over night for observation,
because he said I had been through quite a lot,
and he had given me Morphine, for the pain.
During the night I woke up, with my stomach swollen
and hard as a brick and was hurting!
I felt like I needed to go to the bathroom really bad!
My face was all bandaged up and I couldn't see, I was searching
for the buzzer, but I couldn't find it.
I was trying to call for help, but I could barely make a sound come out,
I was calling hellllp somebody please hellllp me!

Finally a nurse came in and I told her
I had been trying to call for help and I couldn't find the buzzer.
She said well, sweetie it's right there on the wall behind your bed....
I told her but I can't see, my face is all wrapped up, she said oooh yes,
I see that it is.
She put the buzzer beside me on the bed.
Then I told her I need to go to the bath room really bad!
She said well just go, you have a bag there, and you have a catheter.

I said but I can’t, it won't go, it won't happen. She said she'd be right back,
but she never came back.

Sometime later another nurse came in.
I told her the same thing that I needed to go to the bathroom.
She checked the catheter and said no wonder, this is inserted incorrectly.
She fixed it and I got relief.
Then I told her my hand was hurting really bad too.
She took my bandages off my face, and then I noticed
my hand was 3 times larger than normal and black and blue!
She took out the iv, and put an ice pack on my hand.
She was an angel sent by God from heaven to help me!

My doctor had told my husband to go home the night before,
that I would be sleeping all night and no need for him to stay...

My reason for adding this to my post is to say,
all surgery can be risky!
Especially when anesthesia is involved!
All doctors are not great surgeons,
and some cannot be trusted to have your best interest in mind.
All hospitals are not the safest place to be!

I was released from the hospital about 36 hours after I was checked in.

Right away after going home I noticed my other eye (my right eye)
that the eye lashes inverted
on the bottom and my right bottom lid was twisted inward
and both eyes were pinched in at the outer corners.
Thus making them very much smaller, and different
from the other.
This caused my right eyelid at the top and bottom to grow together
forming a "web like" affect at the outer corner of my right eye.

Every since then my eye lids have been deformed,
with my eye lashes growing inward poking in my right eyeball,
(Some doctors have cauterized some of the eyelashes
that were poking my eyeball, some have plucked them out with tweezers,
I have had to pluck some out with tweezers all along also.
My eye lids and my face always feel like they are on fire!!
My eyes are always tearing,
and they feel like something is sticking and pinching them!!

My face is lopsided and my cheeks look like huge marbles under the skin
high up on my cheek, (and each side different from the other)
My face has scars from the surgery all around my eyes and cheeks.
My upper eyelids and cheek areas feel numb and
like fine grit sand paper!!
My nose is larger now and crooked and always feels cold,
and I most always have a runny nose, and sneezing spells!

I've been to many doctors in this area including some at
Duke Hospital and UNC Hospital with little or no help!
They all tell me that there is so much damage already to
my facial tissues and nerves that they are afraid what ever they do will make it worse.

My whole life has changed, for the most part I lay around with a wet towel
on my face to help relieve the burning.
I've gained over 20 lbs, I've lost muscle tone, have very little strength
and energy,
I've lost mostly all of my social life.

There's a tremendous burden on my heart from the bitterness
I feel towards the doctor that did this to me!! I'm just going down hill fast!!!!
My mother lived an active live until she was 83, working for the most part 5 days a week!
Driving herself back and forth to work too!! Then she had to slow down because she fell,
and only lived 2 years after that.
My grandmorher lived until she was 92 and in good health until the end!

I was a happy grandmother and had a very close relationship
and very active with my grandchildren, and I miss that so very much!

I haven't given up hope yet, but I've been suffering needlessly for a very long time now!

I did some homework on this before I entered into it,
but not enough, evidently!! I was way too trusting of doctors
because I had never had any reason to not trust my doctors.

Dr. Phil, can you help me? please........
If anyone can offer any suggestions or help please let me know.

Thank you for reading, I know it was long, but it was short...... considering ...

hope911

PS: I have recently been to the Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Florida trying to get help..... Well, guess what? Nope, not even they cannot help me!!! Doctor there said too much tissue and nerve damage, same as the local doctors here have told me!!!!! He said he was afraid to take the implants out or to do anything to try to correct these problems would make even more tissue and nerve damage and more pain and more deformities to my face!!! Oh Lord.............

I just don't know what to do now!!! My eyes and my face are burning like fire and now even my lips are too!!! My lips are starting to look like dried up prunes too, like my eyes have done quite some time ago starting after the surgery in March 2003 >>> from the burning and the pain!!!
If there is anyone that might can help for me or tell me where I might be able to get help, please let me know, please get in touch with me, here through this message board, or at

hope91127511@aol.com

Thanks so much, Hope911

Hi Hope,  You poor thing please know that you're in my thoughts and prayers for relief from the physical and emotional pain you're experiencing.  I wanted to metion as the last person did that you should really be seeking a good mal practice lawyer and see what kind of help they can give you as far as seeing the doctors, hospital and other medical professionals who did this to you do not go unpunished for this.  I don't believe in frivolous law suits and I believe they given anyone with a real reason for a law suit a bad name but yours is a REAL reason for a law suit.  These doctors and others need to be made accountable for what they have done so they do not do this again!  It isn't just the doctor/surgeon that is responsible here but the hospital that he was using to operate.   

In the mean time I think you may want to copy & past your post here to an email to the producers of this show & directly to Dr. Phil too.  I'm not sure if they even read these message boards but even if they do it'll help reinforce that you need some help.  Frankly I think this would be a great topic for a show if they haven't already done it.  "The stories you don't see on Extreme Makeover".  I agree that sometimes people in a position like Dr. Phil might have connections to people and things that could help someone in your position.  I would also do a search on google to see if there are surgeons who specializes in this kind of reconstructive surgery.  I think one of the plastic surgeons that was on one of those shows also scooped out a woman who'd had some real damage done to her & he fixed her.  I seem to remember thinking that it was a great show to see because at the same time he was showing what could go wrong he was showing that it isn't just about vanity but there's a humanitarin aspect to what he does.  Just like Dr. Phil many of these surgeons are in a position where they know others & have great connections & do a lot more helping of people in need than most realize.   

I hope something said here gives you some comfort of hope and perhaps an avenue you hadn't thought of that is of some real help.  At the very least know that you are included in my prayers & please come back and let us know here what progress you've made.  Oh & also if everyone reading here was to copy & passt her message to Dr. Phil & producers maybe they'd see there really is an audiance for this show.  I know I'll send it to them.   

February 6, 2006, 7:35 am CST

tummy tuck

Today is 5 days after my tummy tuck.  I'm still feeling tight but I can almost stand up straight.  Can anyone tell me when I can sleep on my side again(that's my favourate spot)? My back is killing me from laying on it so long at night.  I wake up around 4 times to massage it from the pain right in the middle where the bra strap would be.

February 7, 2006, 1:57 pm CST

Thank you so much for your support!

Quote From: delachae

I am sorry to hear about your awful ordeal, but please contact a lawyer.

Thank you so much for taking the time and interest to read my post, and for responding.  It’s too late today but I am going to do my best to find an attorney tomorrow!  Ya’ll have helped greatly to give me strength to keep on trying.  I can’t say thank you enough!

Thanks again,   hope911

February 7, 2006, 2:17 pm CST

thank you so very much

Quote From: momakababe

Hi Hope,  You poor thing please know that you're in my thoughts and prayers for relief from the physical and emotional pain you're experiencing.  I wanted to metion as the last person did that you should really be seeking a good mal practice lawyer and see what kind of help they can give you as far as seeing the doctors, hospital and other medical professionals who did this to you do not go unpunished for this.  I don't believe in frivolous law suits and I believe they given anyone with a real reason for a law suit a bad name but yours is a REAL reason for a law suit.  These doctors and others need to be made accountable for what they have done so they do not do this again!  It isn't just the doctor/surgeon that is responsible here but the hospital that he was using to operate.   

In the mean time I think you may want to copy & past your post here to an email to the producers of this show & directly to Dr. Phil too.  I'm not sure if they even read these message boards but even if they do it'll help reinforce that you need some help.  Frankly I think this would be a great topic for a show if they haven't already done it.  "The stories you don't see on Extreme Makeover".  I agree that sometimes people in a position like Dr. Phil might have connections to people and things that could help someone in your position.  I would also do a search on google to see if there are surgeons who specializes in this kind of reconstructive surgery.  I think one of the plastic surgeons that was on one of those shows also scooped out a woman who'd had some real damage done to her & he fixed her.  I seem to remember thinking that it was a great show to see because at the same time he was showing what could go wrong he was showing that it isn't just about vanity but there's a humanitarin aspect to what he does.  Just like Dr. Phil many of these surgeons are in a position where they know others & have great connections & do a lot more helping of people in need than most realize.   

I hope something said here gives you some comfort of hope and perhaps an avenue you hadn't thought of that is of some real help.  At the very least know that you are included in my prayers & please come back and let us know here what progress you've made.  Oh & also if everyone reading here was to copy & passt her message to Dr. Phil & producers maybe they'd see there really is an audiance for this show.  I know I'll send it to them.   

Thank you so much, I appreciate your interest.  

I understand there is a 3 year time limit in this state to sue for mal practice.    He's ruined my life for almost 3 years now, and no relief in sight!  he's not only ruined my life but all what I've been going through has been a major strain on my family and friends,  them feeling hurt for me and helpless to do anything except drive me to and from the many doctors I've been to  searching for help!

I finally finished writing a complaint form to send to the medical board, and I've got all my records and ct scans from the dozen or so other doctors I've seen since, and photographs from before and after.  I plan to call an attorney right away, but it might be a huge challenge to find one that will take my case with the deadline so close.

I've spent all of my energy seeking medical help,  I'm feeling  hopeless that I'll ever be able to get any help to take these things out of my face!   I've been up and down so much, hoping then being let down, that it's really hard for me to build hope up again. 

In my opinion, what this man did to me is nothing less that criminal!

Ya'll have helped by giving me support, I really need it and reading your entries has given me new hope.    I can't say thank you enough!

Thanks again,      hope911

February 9, 2006, 8:20 am CST

I agree it is criminal

Thank you so much, I appreciate your interest.  

I understand there is a 3 year time limit in this state to sue for mal practice.    He's ruined my life for almost 3 years now, and no relief in sight!  he's not only ruined my life but all what I've been going through has been a major strain on my family and friends,  them feeling hurt for me and helpless to do anything except drive me to and from the many doctors I've been to  searching for help!

I finally finished writing a complaint form to send to the medical board, and I've got all my records and ct scans from the dozen or so other doctors I've seen since, and photographs from before and after.  I plan to call an attorney right away, but it might be a huge challenge to find one that will take my case with the deadline so close.

I've spent all of my energy seeking medical help,  I'm feeling  hopeless that I'll ever be able to get any help to take these things out of my face!   I've been up and down so much, hoping then being let down, that it's really hard for me to build hope up again. 

In my opinion, what this man did to me is nothing less that criminal!

Ya'll have helped by giving me support, I really need it and reading your entries has given me new hope.    I can't say thank you enough!

Thanks again,      hope911

Hi Hope,   Please do get in touch with some really good lawyers.  I understand there's a deadline coming at you but it's their job to figure out how to go about legally going after this doctor and hospital & so give them the story & let them do their jobs.  It's good you've got the before & after pictures too.  Please let us know what comes of this and we will certainly keepyou in our prayers.  Oh & please do make certain to copy & past your messages here to Dr.Phil.  I did that last time I posted to you & everyone here should as well.   He'll have connections that the average person does not.  see if you can't include your pictures too.  Again keep us posted with your progress. 

February 15, 2006, 12:59 am CST

Daymann.... re Tummy tuck.

Quote From: daymann

Today is 5 days after my tummy tuck.  I'm still feeling tight but I can almost stand up straight.  Can anyone tell me when I can sleep on my side again(that's my favourate spot)? My back is killing me from laying on it so long at night.  I wake up around 4 times to massage it from the pain right in the middle where the bra strap would be.

Hey there Daymann, 

Today is day 13 of my tummy tuck and I am now sleeping on my side for most parts of the night. Like you, it is my favourite sleeping position plus when I sleep on my back I tend to snore. 

It has been about 5 days since I first started sleeping on my side, and it is great. Along with my tummy uck I also had some liposuction on my tummy, waist and legs and OMG what a battlefield I looked. The bruising was astronomical!!!  I looked as though I had been in a battlefield, I was black, blue and purple everywhere.  

Best regards 

Vik 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last