Message Boards

Topic : How Plastic Surgery Has Changed My Life

Number of Replies: 138
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 04:57:56 pm
Author : dataimport
Has plastic surgery changed your life for the better, made it worse, or not changed it at all? Share your stories here.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

July 31, 2006, 10:45 am CDT

I'm sorry I ever had plastic surgery

I used to be a cute little lady with a cute little bust.I had 5 children and nursed everyone of them.No problem there! I had enough milk for the dairy.Then one day out of the blue,my husband said,"damn,you're flat as a pancake"! My second husband said" I like big boobed women and look what I got".My third husband said,"you're body is just as nice as Mary Graces,except she had nice big boobs"!Ok,so I am stupid,at least I was.I went and got the big boobs all my so called men wanted.You won't believe what I heard after that."I thought they were kinda cute the way they were"!GRRRRRRRRRRR! My response to the second jerk was,well,I like a man with a big package,and look what I got!.He has since apologized by the way.I have stopped trying to please anybody but me.God made me the way I was and I was perfectly ok with that.Me and Victorias Secret had a special relationship.I am going to have these toxic things removed from my god given body very very soon,and NO,I am NOT going to put anything else foreign in my body to replace it.I will live the rest of my life ,a happy healthy woman.So what if my breasts aren't plastic or silicon or whatever they put in them now.This was 21 years ago for me.I have learned one thing for sure.NEVER ,NEVER CHANGE THE SKIN GOD PUT YOU IN! When the scientists challenged GOD to show HIM that they could make a man,that they don't need GOD anymore,GOD accepted the challenge.The scientists were excited and reached down to scoop up some dirt and GOD told them simply,"huh uh", get your own dirt".So quit trying to make yourself look "better".We are perfect in every way.After all we are already wearing designer skin.Enjoy it,while you're here,and focus on what's real.

August 2, 2006, 5:13 pm CDT

I want plastic surgery because....

I am a graduate student after a 12 year absence.  My husband retired from the military and it is now MY TURN to have MY CAREER.  This is a milestone for me.  I love my family and appreciate the fruit God has blessed me with.  However, God hasn't put me all back together again.  I'd like a tummy tuck, Dr. Phil, to get back the tummy I once had. It was never flat to begin with, just MUCH FLATTER than it is now.  If God has sent you to me, Dr. Phil, then I pray for wisdom and discernment for you as you help me achieve this, the ultimate milestone for me.  Bless you!!!!!

August 10, 2006, 9:53 pm CDT

not are boob jobs are bad

I just wanted to let people know that not all breast implants are evil. I'm 15 and have Poland's syndrome. Google to see details of it. Luckily, my hands are fine, and I'm only missing my right pec muscle and the breast tissue. but because of this, I never developed a right breast the matched the left (which is unaffected by Poland's) so over the course of 4 years, I developed into a D on the left and not even half an A on the right.

About 5 weeks ago, I had reconstructive surgery to create a right breast. Now, for the first time in my life, I have two breasts. Granted, the right is a B, but still, its better then nothing.  In November, I'm having a second to reduce the left. But in the end, I'll look normal. I wont have to worry about if my shirt is too low and the prosthetic is showing, or if my bra slid so the right side was a lot lower then the left. But by January, Ill be able to wear whatever I want. And I'm glad I had my procedure done.

After all these years of lies, and hiding, I don't have to worry. In school I couldn't do swimming, claiming I was allergic to chlorine. I had to sleep with a bra on at peoples houses if they didn't know about it. I'm lying to people now about why I'm having surgery, telling them its my shoulder (only 4 friends and my family know the truth). I'll be able to buy something other then sports bras, they were the only thing that was strong enough to support the prosthetic. I just wanted to tell people that, though most cases of plastic surgery, in my opinion, are not totally needed, when they are warranted, they can positively affect a persons life. I feel like I'm getting a chance  to start over and really be who I am. Without the lies.

August 21, 2006, 11:40 am CDT

Surgery for health reasons

I had plastic surgery for a breast reduction.  I was so huge that I had neck pain and back pains and headaches.  I could not find a bra that fit correctly and that didnt cause indents in my shoulders.  I couldn't find clothes that fit right because there was an 11" difference between my bust and my waist.  I feel that plastic surgery is a wonderful tool for people who are having health issues.  People take medication every day for health reasons, so what is the difference?  I am a healthier person now because I can work out, and mentally it has done wonders for me.  I was picked on for years and years about having large breast, and it was awful.  If it makes you feel better, GO FOR IT~

September 1, 2006, 10:36 pm CDT

it's about time

Quote From: flags08

I just wanted to let people know that not all breast implants are evil. I'm 15 and have Poland's syndrome. Google to see details of it. Luckily, my hands are fine, and I'm only missing my right pec muscle and the breast tissue. but because of this, I never developed a right breast the matched the left (which is unaffected by Poland's) so over the course of 4 years, I developed into a D on the left and not even half an A on the right.

About 5 weeks ago, I had reconstructive surgery to create a right breast. Now, for the first time in my life, I have two breasts. Granted, the right is a B, but still, its better then nothing.  In November, I'm having a second to reduce the left. But in the end, I'll look normal. I wont have to worry about if my shirt is too low and the prosthetic is showing, or if my bra slid so the right side was a lot lower then the left. But by January, Ill be able to wear whatever I want. And I'm glad I had my procedure done.

After all these years of lies, and hiding, I don't have to worry. In school I couldn't do swimming, claiming I was allergic to chlorine. I had to sleep with a bra on at peoples houses if they didn't know about it. I'm lying to people now about why I'm having surgery, telling them its my shoulder (only 4 friends and my family know the truth). I'll be able to buy something other then sports bras, they were the only thing that was strong enough to support the prosthetic. I just wanted to tell people that, though most cases of plastic surgery, in my opinion, are not totally needed, when they are warranted, they can positively affect a persons life. I feel like I'm getting a chance  to start over and really be who I am. Without the lies.

that's good because lies can really, really cause a lot of hurt and pain in your immediate social commmunity of friendship networks. We all need to be honest, all the time, it is as Thommas Immanuel Jefferson said, "Once more unto the truth dear friends! For better it be to tell truth always and to all, and ne'er sin against the immaculate homunculus of truth. For if even a murderer should ask you the way, 'tis better to direct Him onwards than he should starve. Honesty is the highest of all concieveable virtures and the sooner this is recognised the better. My wife had an eyebrow tuck.

September 8, 2006, 9:41 am CDT

A few comments...

I am one of the moderators of the support web site called http://explantation.com . My complete story can be read in "Our Stories", as well as over 50 stories.  Our site features personally written accounts by women who had breast implants and later removed them for various reasons.  We are not an anti-plastic surgery site, but rather tell the other side of the breast implant story. 

Whether we like to admit it or not, breast implants are NOT lifetime devices.  All women will one day have to face the decision to explant their implants-either to replace them, or to remove them completely.

While we readily admit that many women are ecstatic with their implants, we also know that many of the pro implant sites and forums quickly remove negative reporting from women who have problems with their implants.  Many of the posters are newly implanted women.  By the admission of the implant manufacturers, there are women who should never be implanted and there are lists of contraindications and possible complications from augmentation surgery.  The studies report  (which is very insufficient, by the way) that there ARE some women who have a myriad of problems.  We refer to these women as those on the "down-side" of the stats.  What happens to these women?  Are they stuck with unwanted implants forever?  Are they all deformed if they must remove their implants due to unresolved difficulties?

Our site and forum features those women who have decided to have explantation surgery. Many have had to have corrective surgeries from the damage to their augmented breasts.  The happy news is that MOST have very successful explantation surgeries and look very beautiful after they remove their implants.  Most realize that the only thing they probably needed in the first place, was mastopexy (a good lift!)  We help women find very experienced, patient recommended explantation surgeons who are sympathetic with their desires to remove implants forever, and who will even admit that implants sometimes cause great problems.

Our purpose is NOT to bash women who love their implants, nor to discredit those women who need corrective surgeries due to very real breast deformities, injuries or problems.  There will always be those women who have legitimate problems with their breasts and who deserve the right to correct these issues.  We DO advocate that other corrective considerations be made before implanting foreign objects into one's body.  So many women do not get augmentation to become larger, but to restore the youthfulness to their breasts.  Implants are NOT the answer for all women. 

As to the comment about the young girl seeking disability, yet claiming to have improved health after explanting her implants:  Many women DO improve their situations after removing implants.  Not all totally regain their former health, but nearly all regain at least a measure of health.  For women in pain or who are suffering, even an improvement is a Godsend.  I am one such woman.  I may never be the same after having implants, but my improvement has made my quality of life much better.  I will never be the same, since I ended up having a partial mastectomy due to the problems with implants.  Yet, thanks to a wonderful, skillfil plastic surgeon, I still have breasts without implants.

One must ask themselves what happens to those women who have the complications which are listed on your BA waiver forms?  SOME of us, are willing to tell our stories, show our photos and want to support others who wake up one day on the down-side of the stats.  Our site is not for women who are still ecstatic about their augmentations, but for those women who must replace or remove their aging implants and want to have the best asthetic outcome possible.

September 8, 2006, 10:36 am CDT

Many do remove them successfully...

Quote From: ladybug53

Has anyone had breast implants that hardened?  Did you have them removed and if so, what did they look like and are you sorry you had them removed?  Why, because of the way your breasts look now?  Did anyone have theirs removed, then new ones put in that didn't harden?  I am willing to have anyone write to me about my experience, too.  I will answer any questions and you can ask me anything.  Thanks!
Go to explantation.com where you can read many stories where women have removed their implants for various reasons.  Women do not have to be deformed when removing their implants. Most of the women on our site and forum are very happy they removed them and are willing to share their experiences.

September 8, 2006, 12:09 pm CDT

Typing medical reports

Quote From: cleareyes

I have read parts of your post and it is very redundant and way too lengthy for anyone to even get through it but I have to say that I wholeheartedly disagree with you.  I have saline-filled implants and have had no problems whatsoever.  It is very much a personal choice.  I do have reservations about the silicone implants and will probably never have those, but it is still the woman's choice.  I have typed medical reports on a daily basis, many of them cosmetic procedures, and have done so for the last 15 years and just once have I typed a problem with an implant - that being the silicone and it ruptured.  Other than that, minor little things that were easily fixed.  As far as worrying about results years down the line - I simply don't!  Why worry over something you don't know about?  I just have one life and I'm going to live it to the fullest extent possible.  I am very sorry for your trouble with implants though and think it is a very unfortunate thing.  I wish you well. 

That's wonderful that you have not personally typed only one bad report about implants, and that most of the problems were fixable.  Just wanted to comment that in our many thousands of e-mails and posts, MOST women do not return to their original plastic surgeon when they have implant complaints.  Many have reported that they DID try to tell their P/S that they had complaints, but they were virtually ignored or the problem never recorded, so they have gone to other surgeons who would listen. It is common knowledge that even office staffs change their friendly tones when they find out the patient is less than happy with her augmentation, so the patients can feel this and realize they cannot be open and honest with their original surgeons.

My experience was the same.  I complained a lot initially, but when I received my medical records, none of my comments or complaints were recorded by the nurse or the physician.  You cannot type these reports if they do not exist.

We do not claim that all women are unhappy with augmentation, nor that all women complain.  We simply state that there are many women who DO have problems and are not taken seriously, nor are their claims reported accurately.  This is also true with women on the so-called test studies.  I have received many e-mails from women who said they were supposedly on test studies and their Drs. did not follow up on them, nor did they report their cases.  This is disturbing.

While we advocate freedom of choice in plastic surgery procedures, we do believe it is vital that women are given all the information so they can make informed decisions.  Very few women are told what the studies and statistics actually mean.  Many women are never told that they could need a re-do before their first surgery loan is paid off.  We receive e-mails from young girls who must walk around with problems for 2 years or more, simply because they have no financial means to fix their breasts.  To date, there are no benevolent funds to help such women.  How many young girls would think twice, if they knew that even an infection could mean they must have only one implant removed for several weeks or months, before another implant can be inserted?

Thankfully, this does not happen to all women, but when you are the one who has it happen, it is a major crisis.

September 8, 2006, 12:12 pm CDT

want to correct this line...

Quote From: el_jeena

That's wonderful that you have not personally typed only one bad report about implants, and that most of the problems were fixable.  Just wanted to comment that in our many thousands of e-mails and posts, MOST women do not return to their original plastic surgeon when they have implant complaints.  Many have reported that they DID try to tell their P/S that they had complaints, but they were virtually ignored or the problem never recorded, so they have gone to other surgeons who would listen. It is common knowledge that even office staffs change their friendly tones when they find out the patient is less than happy with her augmentation, so the patients can feel this and realize they cannot be open and honest with their original surgeons.

My experience was the same.  I complained a lot initially, but when I received my medical records, none of my comments or complaints were recorded by the nurse or the physician.  You cannot type these reports if they do not exist.

We do not claim that all women are unhappy with augmentation, nor that all women complain.  We simply state that there are many women who DO have problems and are not taken seriously, nor are their claims reported accurately.  This is also true with women on the so-called test studies.  I have received many e-mails from women who said they were supposedly on test studies and their Drs. did not follow up on them, nor did they report their cases.  This is disturbing.

While we advocate freedom of choice in plastic surgery procedures, we do believe it is vital that women are given all the information so they can make informed decisions.  Very few women are told what the studies and statistics actually mean.  Many women are never told that they could need a re-do before their first surgery loan is paid off.  We receive e-mails from young girls who must walk around with problems for 2 years or more, simply because they have no financial means to fix their breasts.  To date, there are no benevolent funds to help such women.  How many young girls would think twice, if they knew that even an infection could mean they must have only one implant removed for several weeks or months, before another implant can be inserted?

Thankfully, this does not happen to all women, but when you are the one who has it happen, it is a major crisis.

<<<That's wonderful that you have not personally typed only one bad report about implants, and that most of the problems were fixable. >>>

That's wonderful that you have personally typed only one bad report about implants, and that most of the problems were fixable.

October 25, 2006, 1:57 pm CDT

I agree!!

Quote From: cleareyes

Hi there!  Thanks for your input.  But I have to disagree with you . . . everybody says that they look incredibly real and are very proportionate to my frame.  I am large-framed and have an athletic build and they suit me very well.  They wouldn't look proportionate on a thin, small-framed woman, but on me they are perfect and that is why I chose the size I did.  I could have actually went up a few more cc and still been proportionate.  I am a small D, not a real full D.  My husband has been very supportive in all my surgeries and I know if I wanted them changed out he would support that too.  You didn't say, but I assume you liked your two facial procedures.  I had lipo on my chin and jaw area but I'm not too happy with it - not enough difference.  I may eventually get a facelift, but I'm not sure yet.  Right now I'm doing Botox and Restylane and will probably go in for microdermabrasion next.  My skin is starting to show my age (40) and I would like to keep it looking as fresh as I can for as long as I can without surgery on my face.  Oh - BTW, the looks from other men are just for fun.  They just make me feel good about my body even though I know that 90% of the time it is just my body they are crooning over.  I already have a man who loves me for my heart and that is all I need - the rest is just "icing on the cake". 
I totally agree with your response.  I went from a negative A to Full C small D.  I have never been happier.  Everything looks so much nicer on me.  I actaully can fill out a bra when I buy one now.  I went back and forth for 10 years wondering if I should get the implants or not and finally decided at the age of 37 to go for it.  I am so glad I did.  My husband did not want me to at all and I have to say he loves the way I look.  I agree with you when other men look it does make you feel good and my husband too saying to himself....yep she's all mine!!!  I actutally have done 1 botox procedure and am going in on October 30, 2006 for another.  The stuff is great!!!  It is nice to keep feeling young, looking young and as long as there are ways and it is your choice I say GO FOR IT!!!

First | Prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | Next | Last