Message Boards

Topic : I Want Plastic Surgery Because...

Number of Replies: 585
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 04:58:50 pm
Author : dataimport
Why are you interested in changing your appearance surgically? Let us know your story and reasons.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 13, 2008, 8:35 pm CST

ITSY BITSY TEENEY WEENY YELLOW POLKA DOT BIKINI

ILL GET TO THE POINT---HAD WEIGHT LOSS SURGERY IN 2002 , LOST 160 LBS, OVERWEIGHT ALL MY LIFE, NOW I LOVE TO SHOP ,BUT ONE THING IVE NEVER OWNED----A BIKINI!!!  EXTRA SKIN ALL OVER, MAIN PROB AREAS LEGS AND --I WANT A FLAT STOMACH!!! IVE EARNED IT!!!  NOT WANTING TO ''FLAB'' ALL ON TV , I LIVE IN SMALL TOWN, BUT YA KNOW...I AM ONLY 30 YRS OLD, I AM ATTRACTIVE AND I STILL GO OUT AND HAVE FUN.....AND I WANT TOSEE WHAT IT WOULD FEEL LIKE TO WEAR A BIKINI---SOMETIMES THE SILLIEST AND SIMPLEST THINGS CAN REALLY FREE YOU AND CHANGE YOUR LIFE!!  AND JUST IN TIME FOR SUMMER DR. PHIL!!!! PS--MY DADDYS NAME IS PHIL AND HE IS A SCHOOL TEACHER AND ALMOST AS SMART AS YOU!!

February 15, 2008, 7:21 am CST

I had a masectomy

I was diagnosed with breast cancer on Sept. 9 2003, and had surgery on 9/22/03 followed by 9 months of chemo therapy.When I had this surgery done the hospital did not have a plastic surgeon and therefore I didn't have reconstructive sugery. I have had some problems with my shoulder and my scapula is winging and I have thought well I just turned 50 life may soon be over, but then I look at me and I am a young nice looking woman who wants to be whole again.I have been at my job for 6 months and I have health ins., We have one Dr. in town who does this sort of reconstructive surgery. Any suggestions or ideas

February 18, 2008, 12:12 pm CST

breast reconstruction

Quote From: teripierce

I was diagnosed with breast cancer on Sept. 9 2003, and had surgery on 9/22/03 followed by 9 months of chemo therapy.When I had this surgery done the hospital did not have a plastic surgeon and therefore I didn't have reconstructive sugery. I have had some problems with my shoulder and my scapula is winging and I have thought well I just turned 50 life may soon be over, but then I look at me and I am a young nice looking woman who wants to be whole again.I have been at my job for 6 months and I have health ins., We have one Dr. in town who does this sort of reconstructive surgery. Any suggestions or ideas

I had a mastectomy in April, 2006.  I had the breast reconstruction surgery, which, by law, the insurance has to pay for.  It was a multiple-step process.  First, the doctor placed a tissue expander and gradually filled it with fluid until it was the size that I wanted (B cup).  The next step was to place implants on both sides, so they would be a matching set.  Then, after that, I had nipple reconstruction, using skin from my groin area, grafted onto the breast. The last step was to tattoo the new nipple to match the color of the healthy breast.  I am very happy with the final result.

Is the plastic surgeon in your town a reputable surgeon?  Ask your doctor, as well as the surgeon who did your mastectomy, and the oncologist who did your chemo.  You can also check with the American Medical Association online to see if there are any complaints against this doctor.

If you determine that you want this doctor to do your reconstructive surgery, start with a consultation.  Ask to see his procedure book to see the breast reconstruction surgeries that he has done in the past.  Ask him how many of these procedures he has performed.  If you don't like this doctor, then don't hesitate to find a different doctor in another city...the only thing about that is the inconvenience of the travel...I don't know how far you are from a large city, where you would have more choices.

I would encourage you to have the surgery...I really do feel whole again...besides, if I had gone with the removable breast form, I'd probably forget to wear it half the time!!

Please keep me posted on what you decide, and how it goes...Becky

February 19, 2008, 8:43 pm CST

To Becky

Quote From: mustbecrazy

I had a mastectomy in April, 2006.  I had the breast reconstruction surgery, which, by law, the insurance has to pay for.  It was a multiple-step process.  First, the doctor placed a tissue expander and gradually filled it with fluid until it was the size that I wanted (B cup).  The next step was to place implants on both sides, so they would be a matching set.  Then, after that, I had nipple reconstruction, using skin from my groin area, grafted onto the breast. The last step was to tattoo the new nipple to match the color of the healthy breast.  I am very happy with the final result.

Is the plastic surgeon in your town a reputable surgeon?  Ask your doctor, as well as the surgeon who did your mastectomy, and the oncologist who did your chemo.  You can also check with the American Medical Association online to see if there are any complaints against this doctor.

If you determine that you want this doctor to do your reconstructive surgery, start with a consultation.  Ask to see his procedure book to see the breast reconstruction surgeries that he has done in the past.  Ask him how many of these procedures he has performed.  If you don't like this doctor, then don't hesitate to find a different doctor in another city...the only thing about that is the inconvenience of the travel...I don't know how far you are from a large city, where you would have more choices.

I would encourage you to have the surgery...I really do feel whole again...besides, if I had gone with the removable breast form, I'd probably forget to wear it half the time!!

Please keep me posted on what you decide, and how it goes...Becky

Thank-you for your response to me, I find it comforting to talk to people who understand and can offer advise. I think about the movie/story, " I wore lipstick to my masectomy", that would have helped me much more than what I had at the time. I will keep you posted. Thank-you sweetie

February 19, 2008, 8:49 pm CST

I Want Plastic Surgery Because...

Quote From: kismetjones

I am hoping someone reading this will be able to offer advice! I am in desperate need of dental care that I am sure will result in the loss of most of my few remaining teeth. I haven't been to a dentist since I was a minor (I'm 32 now) and I still can't afford to go. I have contacted the Minnesota Dental association several times and they have not returned my calls or e-mails. They have a list on their website of dentists who will "work with you" on payment options, but In calling around I found that none of those options are applicable to the "cosmetic" portion of dentures or a bridge. I have a hard enough time at work trying to hide my teeth and look professional and recently I didn't get a promotion I'm certain due to the state of my teeth. It was a position I was more than qualifed for, but requires many face to face meetings with our vendors. I am worried that without teeth at all, this problem will increase. We don't have a lot of money, but I am desperate to get my teeth fixed. Has anyone else been in this situation, and if so, how have you overcome? Thank you!
I live in ND and they have the family clinic which is for most a few dollars at most and will provide dental care. I'm sure Minn. has a program similiar or have you tried medical asst.?Check it out

February 20, 2008, 8:35 am CST

need dental help to

I live in ND and they have the family clinic which is for most a few dollars at most and will provide dental care. I'm sure Minn. has a program similiar or have you tried medical asst.?Check it out

I've not had my teeth since i was 18.  my husband said i was not worth the money to fix them.

so he had me pull them all.  now i can't eat I've lost so mush weight i  have been accused of being

anorexic . but i can't eat hard foods at all . i still try to but it cuts my gums so the i don't eat for awhile

after that. going out in public is very embarrassing .  i try not to eat in public. i chew ugly my face has fell .   I'm 47 yrs old, and  4' 11 ,  weigh ; 110 size 2, never been lower than a 5. my health is in question.

i have fibromyglia , epilepsy, copd. I'm losing my hair , get very tired all the time.  i have also

tried to find affordable dental care, we only make 12,000.00 a yr. and he is self employed painter.

who will not get a  full time job. no insurance at all of course.  i really resent him for all this.

I've wanted implants, but this will never happen, i  know. but i hope i can get dentures if nothing

else. but to eat again without pain.  any ideas will be appreciated. i am trying to find ways to raise money for this.  please don't feel pity for me . i just need to talk to someone. thanks for listening.   

embarrassed by being toothless.

February 20, 2008, 9:51 am CST

dentures

Quote From: uniquefine

I've not had my teeth since i was 18.  my husband said i was not worth the money to fix them.

so he had me pull them all.  now i can't eat I've lost so mush weight i  have been accused of being

anorexic . but i can't eat hard foods at all . i still try to but it cuts my gums so the i don't eat for awhile

after that. going out in public is very embarrassing .  i try not to eat in public. i chew ugly my face has fell .   I'm 47 yrs old, and  4' 11 ,  weigh ; 110 size 2, never been lower than a 5. my health is in question.

i have fibromyglia , epilepsy, copd. I'm losing my hair , get very tired all the time.  i have also

tried to find affordable dental care, we only make 12,000.00 a yr. and he is self employed painter.

who will not get a  full time job. no insurance at all of course.  i really resent him for all this.

I've wanted implants, but this will never happen, i  know. but i hope i can get dentures if nothing

else. but to eat again without pain.  any ideas will be appreciated. i am trying to find ways to raise money for this.  please don't feel pity for me . i just need to talk to someone. thanks for listening.   

embarrassed by being toothless.

When all of your teeth are missing, they don't usually do implants to replace them all, however, they can do implants to help dentures to stay in place and cause less stress on the jaw bones.

You really do need dentures...it's a matter of your health, not cosmetics, although, having dentures will greatly improve your looks too.

There are denture clinics, which usually charge less than a dentist for dentures.  Have you checked with social services to see if there is any help available?

With $12,000 per year, I understand why you can't afford to pay.  Check with a denture clinic...they may have some kind of payment plan that you might be able to afford, and they would certainly know if there is any help available for you.

I also have fibromyalgia, so I understand about pain.  I'm sure that your health is greatly affected by not having teeth.  Your husband made a very mean remark. 20 years without teeth just isn't fair to you.

Do you do any kind of crafts?  Perhaps you could make some things and sell them on Craig's List.

I hope that you can find a way to get your dentures.

Good Luck, Becky

March 2, 2008, 2:47 pm CST

Exercise

In reference to your scapula winging and your shoulder problems, have you tried physical therapy and strengthening exercises?  The shoulder is a very complex area.  The musculature of the shoulder holds the humerus (upper arm bone) in place and if all of the muscles involved are not balanced in strength you will certainly have problems.  Some good exercises to do for the scapula are bent over rows, reverse flys, and shoulder extension.  You can find good pictures of these by searching the internet.  If you don't have hand weights you can use canned goods like a can of corn or peas to start with or anything that weighs about 1 pound then advance the weight from there.  A physical therpist can help develope a more in depth program for you as there are many more exercises you can do that require the use of a stretchy band or tube.  Using the stretchies are similar to using weights but in many ways better because they are more cost effective, less cumbersom, and more versatile than having a lot of weights.  If you are planning to have reconstructive surgery it would be a good idea to develope better muscle strength before surgery as having the extra weight in the chest area will put more stress on your scapula. 

March 3, 2008, 4:06 pm CST

body fat

hi, my name is lenora, i keep watching your shows all the time, the ones i love to see is when u talk about make overs, but you never had one for older ladies like myself, im 59 years old, not old but far from young, right dr. phil. i went threw throat cancer in 2000, they made me pull all my teeth, and now my jaws are lower, and i don't know who to turn 2, i can not use bottom teeth because of my jaws, i don't have any sources, and of course no money to get me fixs, i would like lipo on my stomach and thigs,  and eye laser, i know if i got that all done, i could be lenora, and make my husband proud, he loves me for who i am and i do  know that, but have problem with no sex for him and that is the other thing, since all my chemo and ration i do not have any desire of sex any more, so what is my problem dr. phil and robin?

could you send me any books or something i could read on so maybe i can get myself fix again,

thank you for listing

lenora ..

March 12, 2008, 2:36 pm CDT

Face Surgery

I am in my 60's and would like to have plastic surgery on my face and neck.  Even though I exercise daily and don't look bad for my age, the neck is beginning to sag and also the face.  I really would like to look presentable as long as I can, hence, the need for plastic surgery.  I am anxious about it, however, as I know the risk.  Has anyone in their 60s had the surgery, and if so, what were the results?

First | Prev | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | Next | Last