Message Boards

Topic : I Want Plastic Surgery Because...

Number of Replies: 585
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 04:58:50 pm
Author : dataimport
Why are you interested in changing your appearance surgically? Let us know your story and reasons.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 9, 2005, 8:04 pm CST

Getting it done next month

I want plastic surgery because I have had two babies. My breasts are not the same and I do not like them.  I want them back the way they were (or better if that happens) for myself and, of course, for my husbnad. 

November 9, 2005, 9:34 pm CST

Physical vs Mental

I have struggled with my weight for most of my life. I am 31 years old, a mother to two beautiful children and wife to a great husband. I have had a complex about my weight every since I can remember. Last year I had opted for plastic surgery following the two c-sections from my children, so I dieted and exercised to lose those last 20 extra lbs. I had a tummy tuck and lyposuction on my upper legs all the way down to my knees. The result: Wonderful physically, but mentally I was still in the same spot..nothing changed, I still had a complex. My mind was not able to keep up and except such a drastic change for what should have been a positive event.   

The thing they don't tell you is that the surgery is not a permanent solution, you can always end up like you started and in some cases, look worse then you did before you had the surgery. Educate yourself with all the information you can possibly find and really consider all the pros and cons, don't fool yourself into thinking any kind of cosmetic procedure will fix everything and life will be perfect when your done because you'll end up disappointed with a credit card debt or negative check book and the kind of attention that you may not be prepared to handle.  

The point is, considering plastic surgery is more than just physically changing your body, you need to prepare your mind first and find out if it is really what you're ready for,  because your problem may not have anything to do with your physical self.  

November 9, 2005, 9:45 pm CST

I feel your pain

Quote From: momnurse11

I have thought about this for years but there just hasn't been the ability to 'go for it' , so to speak.  I believe everyone feels they have an area that needs improvement.  I am certainly there with you!  However, the only thing I would really like to do is have liposuction due to 'saddlebags' (yuck!)  that keep me from wearing a bathing suit and many other clothes.  It is so frustrating to try to buy pants, try on 10+ pair, and not find any that remotely fit correctly.  Each summer I wear swim shorts, which are kind of like swim trunks...only they are for women.  I cannot wear a bathing suit.  It only accentuates this area and it's not pretty! :)  I am an average sized women (12), this is simply what my genes do for my jeans.  My 10 year old daughter always tells me that she feels badly for me because of it.  I do not mope around or anything because I don't want to project that type of attitude to my daughter.  I honestly don't have a horrible body image.  This is just simple fact.  There are lots of people who weigh much more than I do, but they can wear clothing that I just cannot.  I stay FAR AWAY from stretch jeans (they are the worst-why does EVERYTHING have to strech, or rather cling?)  I cannot wear knit pants or skirts, etc.  When I try on jeans they will either fit my hips or my waist, but not both.  If they fit my hip area, the waist is generally 6 inches too big.  It really is frustrating.  I think it would be so liberating to be able to shop and wear clothes that fit.  In the grand scheme of things, though I don't think this is at the top of my family's priority list.  I stayed home for many years to raise my children and now that I am working, it's time to get the financial house in order.  I have 2 children that are quickly approaching their adolescent/teen years and I can't see going into more debt just so I can fit into pants.  It makes me feel kind of silly even though it drives me crazy and makes me a bit sad at times.  Does anyone else feel this way?  There is definite guilt involved - I guess that's a mom thing!  Again, I think we all want to improve ourselves.  I want to be who I am...I just want the freedom that I believe would come from liposuction.  I just want to buy pants!  :-)  Thanks to everyone's posts - they're great!

Last year I had lyposuction done on those pesky saddlebags, inner/outer thighs down to my knees.  

-The good news, you look good approximately 3-4 months after the swelling goes down and the bruising goes away, you get your girdle off, your incisions heal, and some of the damaged nerves in your legs actually repair themselves to the point you don't feel like you're randomly being jabbed with hot needles. 

-The bad news is, if you don't continue to exercise and watch your diet/fat intake, you will get those saddlebags back and these "fat pockets" will form in places you never had a problem before and you're more devistated then when you started.  

The feeling is wonderful when you can finally put on those first pair of jeans you picked up and they fit right, but if you don't maintain it everyday, you'll end up with a bigger problem. 

Good luck to you, I hope things work out for the best! 

November 12, 2005, 5:20 pm CST

I was born with a Bilateral Cleft Lip and partial palet

Its been a tough and on going battle for me for the past 24 years now. Especially since my biological mother neglected me when I was a child as far as medical procedures that needed to be taken. Growing up my grandmother did as much as she could to help me including boosting my self esteem. Now I find that I need Rhinoplasty to my left nostril because of a nasal blockage, making it difficult to breath through that side of my nose, along with a bone graft because their is a sliver of bone missing in my upper left jaw under my nose that never formed because of the facial deformity, and if that wasn't enough I need some extensive dental work done. Its hard being an adult with no where to turn for financial assistance and being a college student I am broke. I hope and dream of getting it done soon but also wonder if there can be anything done for myself and others that go through this as an adult with a facial deformity. I want to help myself and others reach their dreams and ambitions of getting the proper care that their neglected parents refused to give them, that is not their fault and that they deserve.   

November 13, 2005, 4:27 am CST

good luck

Quote From: momstudent

I want plastic surgery because I have had two babies. My breasts are not the same and I do not like them.  I want them back the way they were (or better if that happens) for myself and, of course, for my husbnad. 

i had implants put in back in august.  i am 39 and after 2 kids i felt it was something i really needed and wanted.  it was painful for a couple of days, but after about 10 days i was at the beach in a bikini.  i feel it was worth it.  i had the silicone gel implants.  i went from a small B cup to a very full D.  i'm 5'8" so i actually could have gone bigger.    

i have heard that most people wish they had gone bigger, so keep that in mind.  if you are getting the silicone gel (supposed to be the rolls royce of implants), and you have any questions....feel free to ask.  they are very natural looking and feeling, i will tell you that.  i am happy and my boyfriend is thrilled....good luck. 

November 16, 2005, 10:49 am CST

One more day...

One more day to go.... 

Going under the knife, tomorrow starting at 7.30 AM... I just talked to the nurse, and she told me the dr. made OR reservations for 510 minutes, which is 8.5 hours.... wow... I should be looking "good" after that much time.... I am totally excited, and just a little nervous... who wouldn't be... Finally, I waited a long time for this... 

November 20, 2005, 10:47 pm CST

I HAD SALINE

Quote From: windy66

i had implants put in back in august.  i am 39 and after 2 kids i felt it was something i really needed and wanted.  it was painful for a couple of days, but after about 10 days i was at the beach in a bikini.  i feel it was worth it.  i had the silicone gel implants.  i went from a small B cup to a very full D.  i'm 5'8" so i actually could have gone bigger.    

i have heard that most people wish they had gone bigger, so keep that in mind.  if you are getting the silicone gel (supposed to be the rolls royce of implants), and you have any questions....feel free to ask.  they are very natural looking and feeling, i will tell you that.  i am happy and my boyfriend is thrilled....good luck. 

HI IM 28 AND SORT OF DISAPOINTED. I TOO HAD IMPLANTS DONE MID-MAY THIS YEAR WITH A VERY POPULAR SURGEON IN BEVERLY HILLS "DR. ROBERT REY" (90210). I HAD SALINE D CUP SIZE AND THEY ARE VERY HEAVY ESPECIALLY IF YOU WANT TO JUMP OR AEROBICIZE. SO, VERY PHYSICAL EXERTING ACTIVITIES ARENT VERY MUCH A PART OF MY LIFE SINCE THE SURGERY. I EWAS A LITTLE OVERWEIGHT WHEN I HAD THE SURGERY AND HOPED TO RECOVER WITH HIGHER MOTIVATION TO GET MORE ACTIVE AGAIN ( I FELL INTO DEPRESSION AND GAINED 40 LBS. IN ONLY 6 MONTHS) PRIOR TO OPTING FOR BREAST AUGMENTATION. ANYWAY, I NOW HAVE HAD THEM FOR 6 MONTHS AND AM LESS ACTIVE AND ACTUALLY GAINED WEIGHT BECAUSE I LACK ENERGY AND AVOID JUMPING PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES TO NOT FEEL THE BOUNCING WEIGHT AGAINST MY CHEST PULLING UP AND DOWN . MY SHOULDERS ARE STRESSED FROM THE SUPPORT BRAS I CONTINOUSLY HAVE TO WEAR TO AVOID SERIOUS SAGGING. I USE TO BE AN  A" CUP AND WORE PADDED BRAS TO ENHANCE MY APPEARANCE. I NEED TO TAKE THESE SALINE ONES OUT AND MY BETTER JUDGEMENT TELLS ME TO JUST LEAVE MY BREASTS ALONE AND END THE SURGICAL PROCEDURES ONCE AND FOR ALL BUT I DONT HAVE TO STRONG SELF-ESTEEM AND IM STILL DEPRESSED AND OVERWEIGHT AND I FEAR ILL FEEL WORSE IF I GO BACK TO BEING MNEARLY FLAT CHESTED AND WITH SLIGHTLY SAGGING BREAST TISSUE DUE TO THE STRETCHING OF THE SALINES IMPALNTS I CURRENTLY HAVE. I WAS ACTUALLY THINKING OD JUST GOING SMALLER AND SWITCHING TO THE LIGHTER SILICONE IMPLANTS WHEN I REMOVE THESE. THIS WAY I STILL HAVE FEMININE CURVES ON MY CHEST AND I THINK GUYS LIKE WOMEN EWITH FULLER BREASTS. I THINK THEY ARE MORE AROUSED AND INTRIGUED SEXUALLY WITH WOMEN WHO HAVE FULLER BREASTS. AS LONG AS THEY OVERALL ARE ATTRACTIVE AND HAVE OTHER GREAT QUALITIES TO OFFER. I NEED OTHERS WOMENS OPINIONS. CAN SOMEONE RESPOND? ID APPRECIATE FEEDBACK . IM UNDECIDED BECAUSE I FEEL IN THE LONG RUN MY BODY AND HEALTH WILL BE MUCH BETTER OF WITHOUT REPLACING MY CURRENT IMPLANTS FOR SILICONE AND INSTEAD REMOVING MY CURRENT SALINE IMPANTS WITHOUT REPLACEMENT. WHAT DO YOU THINK?

November 20, 2005, 10:57 pm CST

THANKS

Quote From: travidge

Last year I had lyposuction done on those pesky saddlebags, inner/outer thighs down to my knees.  

-The good news, you look good approximately 3-4 months after the swelling goes down and the bruising goes away, you get your girdle off, your incisions heal, and some of the damaged nerves in your legs actually repair themselves to the point you don't feel like you're randomly being jabbed with hot needles. 

-The bad news is, if you don't continue to exercise and watch your diet/fat intake, you will get those saddlebags back and these "fat pockets" will form in places you never had a problem before and you're more devistated then when you started.  

The feeling is wonderful when you can finally put on those first pair of jeans you picked up and they fit right, but if you don't maintain it everyday, you'll end up with a bigger problem. 

Good luck to you, I hope things work out for the best! 

HEY, I JUST WANT TO SAY THANK YOU FOR HAVING THE COURAGE TO SHARE THIS PERSONAL EXPERIENCE WITH WHOM EVER READS THESE MESSAGES ON THIS FORUM. TOO MANY WOMEN MEN TO ARE HAVING SURGERIES PURELY FOR COSMETIC REASONS EVEN WHEN THEY ARE PERFECTALLY HEALTHY WHICH IS SUCH A GREAT BLESSING ALLREADY. AND THEY ARE PAYING LOTS OF MONEY FOR VERY PAINFUL PROCEDURES ONLY TO REGRET THEM LATER WHEN LONGTERM SIDEEFFECTS OR IN YOUR CASE WEIGHT GAIN  AFTER LIPOSUCTION CHANGES BECOME OBVOIUS. I WISH YOU GREAT RECOVERY AND SELF -ESTEEM.

November 20, 2005, 10:57 pm CST

November 21, 2005, 11:46 am CST

no breast implant is safe

I COME TO YOU IN TRUTH AND LOVE; 

AS, I FEAR FOR YOU! 

NO BREAST IMPLANT IS SAFE! 

I URGE YOU TO READ MY POST HERE AT 

HOW PLASTIC SURGERY CHANGED MY LIFE.  UNDER NAME CRUSADER CC 

PROOF OF THE UGLY TRUTH= 

I AM ONE OF LITERALLY HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF WOMEN DEATHLY ILL FROM SILICONE POISONING. I REFUSE TO LIVE OR DIE FROM IT ALL IN VAIN,THATS WHY I AM HERE TO WARN YOU;TO HELP;LOVE;SERVE YOU IN ANY WAY I CAN;BECAUSE I LOVE YOU AND FEAR FOR YOU.IT COULD HAPPEN TO YOU,I WOULD HATE TO HAVE TO SAY I TOLD YOU SO! 

I AM HERE TO EMPOWER YOU IN TRUTH AND LOVE BEFORE ITS TOO LATE FOR YOU! 

GETTING AND HAVING BREAST IMPLANTS IS LIKE PLAYING RUSSIAN ROULETTE WITH YOUR PRECIOUS;PRICELESS HEALTH/LIFE.THE QUESTION IS HOW LUCKY DO YOU FEEL? 

ALL BREAST IMPLANTS HAVE SILICONE AND NEARLY 40 OTHER KNOWN TOXIC CHEMICAL SUBSTANCES;ALL BREAST IMPLANTS LEAK;RUPTURE;BLEED;BREATHE THESE TOXIC CHEMICALS INTO YOUR BODY IMMUNE SYSTEM OFTEN CAUSING PERMANANT IRREVERSIBLE DAMAGE;SILICONE POISONING;SILICONE ASSOCIATED DISEASES. 

IT COULD HAPPEN TO YOU TOO. 

YOU COULD BE SICK FROM IT RIGHT NOW AND NOT EVEN REALIZE IT. 

IN TRUTH AND LOVE CINDY DEATHLY ILL FROM SILICONE POISONING 

SINGLE MOM OF 3 BEAUTIFUL GIRLS;WHO FEAR THEIR MOMMY MAY DIE, 

AS THEY SEE WHAT IT HAS AND CONTINUES TO DO TO ME. 

(I USED TO HAVE A BUSINESS IN HOME HEALTH CARE;NOW I'M THE PATIENT). 

JUST A FEW WEBSITES THAT TELL AND SHOW THE TRUTH= 

THE SILICONE HOLOCAUST 

NATIONAL INSTITUTE OF CANCER SPELLS OUT RISK OF BREAST IMPLANTS 

BREAST IMPLANTS THE HIDDEN PARTS 

BREAST IMPLANTS TRUTH OR DARE 

EXPLANTATION.COM 

First | Prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Next | Last