Message Boards

Topic : 09/18 The Dr. Phil House: A Family’s Last Chance, Part 1

Number of Replies: 134
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 15, 2006, 11:58:57 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Reality TV just got a reality check! This season, Dr. Phil moves people into The Dr. Phil House – where he can keep an eye on them 24/7. He will be watching from his home, his office and his car, and won’t hesitate to drop in whenever he chooses. The first family to move in is Todd and Jessica, married for eight years, and their three sons. Todd and Jessica have filed restraining orders against each other, were throwing knives, calling the cops and cussing each other out in front of the kids. Their fights have even gotten physical and have involved the children. Before moving into the house, Todd and Jessica were living apart. Jessica says Todd is stalking her, and Todd says his wife is having an affair. Will living under the same roof again finally bring them together? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More September 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 18, 2006, 2:46 pm CDT

The Dr. Phill house

Wow, I don't know where to begin.  It is so sad how common this type of family situation has become.  The real victims in these situations are the children.  If Dr. Phil can't intervene and help this family unfortunately the cycle will continue generation to generation.  I don't think we should be too harsh on this family, as I am sure that none of us would fair too well if every moment of our lives was put on camera and under a microscope to analyze.  Indeed I am sure that these parents are acting out their own pain albeit in a very destructive manner.  I don't think there are too many evil people out there, I think there is just a lot of people out there that are hurting and angry and confused and overwhelmed and are not real sure what to do about it.  I know I have been there before.  I sure do hope that Jessica was able to take a good long look at herself and get honest with herself and the people that are trying to help her, if not what's the point of doing something like this, there are many out there who would love the oppurtuntiy for this kind of help.  Like the doc always says, you can't fix what you don't acknowledge.  As for Todd, he seems very desperate and out of control with his anger.  Instead of "bullying" his wife I think he would be benefited by working on his self-esteem issues and controlling his emotions and behaviors. 

September 18, 2006, 2:47 pm CDT

I agree

Quote From: bdbowtimom

Shame.  The woman is a total user of anyone she comes in contact with.  What a shame.
I get so tired of the pity me routine that so many women fall into.  I wouldn't have done this if he hadn't made me feel that...  Take ownership of the choices that you make.  She is so obviously having some sort of an affair.  Whether it be an emotional or physical one it is there.  She can't even be honest with herself.  Everytime she is asked something it is deflected or there is an excuse for her actions.  What a sad, sad woman!!!

September 18, 2006, 3:04 pm CDT

09/18 The Dr. Phil House: A Family’s Last Chance, Part 1

Quote From: tessrella

This couple needs to get a divorce for the sake of the children.. They are the ones suffering.

Yes while I agree with you that this couple is poster for divorce!  they clearly need help I've never seen two people so angry and bitter towards each other!  her towards the kids!

I could not believe the father was just sitting on the couch while she went up too that boys room and slapped him up side the head!   Cleary these children need saving!

September 18, 2006, 3:07 pm CDT

I totally agree with you!

Quote From: saemae

These people are both nuts.  No offense, but now I don't have any sympathy for EITHER of them.  I only have sympathy for those poor children.  The husband is obsessive and the wife is a world-class bullcrap artist.  Those poor kids!
The children do not deserve to live like that.  All couples have their "issues", but to carry on like crazed maniacs while the kids witness it, is just ludicrous and abusive.  The 8 year old is headed down a rough road that will affect him for the rest of his life.  They are leading him down the same path that they are on right now.  Disgusted....... in Ohio! 

September 18, 2006, 3:09 pm CDT

Nobody wins...

Today's show was a shock to me. Like most viewers I was shocked by the family, their abusive behaviour and dysfunction. But even moreso, I was shocked that Dr. Phil would profile such a sensationalist case. This family should not be on the show; they should be in serious therapy behind closed doors. It's a very unpleasant and extreme family dynamic to view. And I'm shocked by the more assertive, louder, more intense Dr. Phil I'm seeing this season. It's disconcerting to me and off-putting. Please Dr. Phil, choose cases that provide some resonance for us viewers, so we can appreciate and even apply your more typical passionate and compassionate advice.

September 18, 2006, 3:10 pm CDT

been there

This marriage sounds alot like mine,however mine hasn't came to knife throwing just yet. I just want to say to those who say get out or run as fast as you can it isn't as easy as you all think it is. I have been the victim of emotional and mental abuse for about 2 years and I know how it feels to be in a situation you feel like you can't escape from. My husband sounds just like Jessica's. He constantly accuses me of having a boyfriend or being manipulitive. jessica sounds a lot like me because when he comes in the room and wants a hug or to be loved on I would rather not at all. The only people who are truely suffering in her situation and mine is our children. They are the ones that suffer the most. Thank goodness my husband is on the road most of the time and isn't around as much anymore. But because he has cheated on me in the past he is taking his own guilt out on me nad thinking I will do the same because he can't figure out why i would stay with him. I have 2 beautiful little girls I have to think about and once someone tells you for so long that you arn't good enough to have anyone else your mind will believe it. I hate that there are women out there just like me who feel they need to fix something that isn't fixable. Both of them are to blame and it isn't just him and it isn't just her. They both have made mistakes and I get why she wouldn't want to be intimate with her husband. That doesn't mean she is having an affair. It is possible he has been the cheater and is playing on his own guilt. I just hope that their situation gets resolved soon for their sake but mostly for the sake of their children because they ave boys and if dad continues then they will have the same effect on their future wives.

September 18, 2006, 3:14 pm CDT

If only there was a Dr.Phil when I needed him.

I think as i sit and watch todays show The Doctor Phil House if only there was this kinda help when I needed it. How much I wanted all the truths to be brought out into the light. For both sides to see what it is they were doing to one another. How the kids would suffer and what were the long time ramifications. I will say this Dr.Phil has this nack of cutting through the misty haze we sometimes like to call the truth. I sometimes dont even myself wanna hear what he is going to tell the next person or persons afraid that somthing he may or maynot say will be in some way  a reflection of me and somthing I dint realize that I should have. I dont wanna see these two split up, I want the kids to have there parents. In a way they have maybey never thought was possible with two loving caring functional parents. I think cheating on him is at this point the least of there issues and should be. I want this to work for many reasons but maily my own selfish ones to prove that anything is possible if you just try.

September 18, 2006, 3:29 pm CDT

Oh, please!

Quote From: tarabaldwin

Well, I know Todd and Jessica  and i could not believe my eye's . I could not believe they were still together. It has been a while since I hace seen them. Their two oldest boys were on our baseball team. I don't know how many hours I talked to Todd on the phone about the marriage. I tried to help . Yes Todd is hot headed . Don't let Jessica fool you. Todd is a cancer and all he wan't is to be loved and have his happy family and he really does love her. He just has very low self cofidence about him self.  From Jessica it was always Todd was doing it wrong and she had nothing to do with it. He needed  to change, not her. That was her thinking. I see Justin at school and he is still Justin. Upset of course. It took alot for Todd to write the show and try to get help. I liked Todd and  understood him. He did what he could and what he thought she would want and she never praised him. It could always be better. If you read this Todd , you know I know what I am talking about and I know you loved her , but sometimes life goes on and there are some htings you can not fix. To everyone else , don't judge ,because you know you are not perfect either.
 So, you know them.... It's okay for YOU to judge but its not okay for everyone else here? Clue in. that is the nature of this beast-discussing and yes, judging.

September 18, 2006, 3:52 pm CDT

Do you really know anyone?

Quote From: tarabaldwin

Well, I know Todd and Jessica  and i could not believe my eye's . I could not believe they were still together. It has been a while since I hace seen them. Their two oldest boys were on our baseball team. I don't know how many hours I talked to Todd on the phone about the marriage. I tried to help . Yes Todd is hot headed . Don't let Jessica fool you. Todd is a cancer and all he wan't is to be loved and have his happy family and he really does love her. He just has very low self cofidence about him self.  From Jessica it was always Todd was doing it wrong and she had nothing to do with it. He needed  to change, not her. That was her thinking. I see Justin at school and he is still Justin. Upset of course. It took alot for Todd to write the show and try to get help. I liked Todd and  understood him. He did what he could and what he thought she would want and she never praised him. It could always be better. If you read this Todd , you know I know what I am talking about and I know you loved her , but sometimes life goes on and there are some htings you can not fix. To everyone else , don't judge ,because you know you are not perfect either.
I believe that since you say you know them--it is much more important for Dr. Phil to get them to come clean with each other.  They are both coming off as aggressive and untruthful (in my opinion) so far?  But Dr. Phil is going to try and get them to act like grownups and that is what will help the children!  They will always be BOUND by their children  and need to learn to get along for their sake.  You don't belittle the other parent to your children or fight in front of them.  Your home is suppose to be a SAFE PLACE TO FALL not be scared of and listening to fighting and cussing?  Children NEED and DESERVE to feel safe and loved.  I feel so bad for these boys.  I want to cover their ears and eyes and let them know there is a NORMAL life out here.  Luckily I never heard my parents fight when I was growing up and I always felt safe and loved at home.  It's a great way to grow up!  We tell friends all the time--"don't talk that way to your husband/wife and use that tone.  That does not sound loving and nice and most of all respectful and if you want to talk like that, take it out of our home! "  You have your hands full on this one Dr. Phil and I'm not convicted they actually WANT to try and fix things?  But you know what?  They are not going to fool Dr. Phil and his staff!!!

September 18, 2006, 3:54 pm CDT

Get real!!!!

Quote From: nasale

So, you know them.... It's okay for YOU to judge but its not okay for everyone else here? Clue in. that is the nature of this beast-discussing and yes, judging.
  These people are obviously doing nothing good for each other, not to mention the torment and shameless abuse suffered by their children( why is it you have to have a licsence for everything now, but any pair of jerks can breed?).  Instead of asking if their marriage can be saved,  the question is, should it be saved?  These people need to be as far away from eachother as possible before, before there is anymore damage done.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last