Message Boards

Topic : 03/21 When In-Laws Cross the Line

Number of Replies: 423
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 15, 2006, 12:00:46 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 09/19/06) Bloody attacks, arrests, mug shots and undercover stings -- sounds like life in a rough part of town, but this is what happens when some in-law conflicts go too far! Maria and her 73-year-old mother-in-law, Catherine, came to blows over their disagreements, landing Maria in jail. Maria's husband, Ted, is tired of being in the middle and wants his mom to change her ways. Why does Catherine say it's not her fault? Can these women learn to drop their fists and get along? Then, follow a chilling true-crime story that made headlines across the nation and destroyed a family. Karen says her in-laws attempted to hire a hit man to kill her, her children and even the family dog, and the whole encounter was caught on tape! How can she and her children overcome this life-changing event? Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More March 2007 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 19, 2006, 12:59 pm CDT

What is going on?

I got to say first and foremost; I really like watching Dr, Phil.  I love that he wants to help people and he's a good hearted person that does great things.  Most of the time I agree with his advice and sometimes I don't.  I know Dr.Phil plays the harmonizer when he confronts people.  He tries as much as possible to see both sides equally and I admire that.  I wish sometimes he would just see people for who they are and call them on it.  I'm refering to Sept. 19, show where the Mother-in-law had her Daugther -in-law arrested for assault.  I understand if you pick on people they wouldn't want to even come on the show, but see this for what it is.  This Mother-in-law is lying through her  teeth.  She comes on, does the whole 70 year old act of innocence.  She never said anything bad, she never tries to control, she swears as God is her witness.  She is downright lying and I wish Dr.Phil would at least say that.  I understand why he doesn't, but it kills me to watch when someone is obviously acting.  This women did attack the Daughter-in-law and I can see right through her.  It's not hard to believe a women of this age can do this. He had Mother-in-laws on before and they always seem to play the victim.  When you have that much life experience you know exactly how to play people.  She plays on the emotions of her guilt ridden children.  Who says family always has to get along, sometimes it's for the best that they just stay away, even if there are kids invovled?   

September 19, 2006, 1:19 pm CDT

How lucky they are! :)

Quote From: snowwhite1962

HI SO NICE TOO SEE SOMETHING DIFFERENT FOR A CHANGE.YOU MUST BE WONDERFUL.WHAT MAGIC DO YOU POSSES? MY DAUGHTER IS FROM CAMBODIA.MY MOM DID NOT LIKE THE FACT WE WERE ADOPTING HER.LONG STORY,BUT NONE THE LESS SHE LOVES HER NOW.GEE DO YOU HAVE ANOTHER SON?

I wish that you could rub off on my mother and mother-in-law. They both act like it's a hassle to watch our one child, and have never, ever  even offered. I always ask them to watch him. the bad thing is that both have some sort of stipulation of why they are watching my son, and it's just getting old. They both had help from our grandparents when we were growing up, so I guess that I don't understand why they aren't even offering to help...you are truly a blessing for your sons and their familes! Where are you from and do you babysit? :)

Keep up the great work of being such a great grandparent!

September 19, 2006, 1:26 pm CDT

Shame on the mother-in-law

I feel that the Mother-In-Law was wrong here.  I wish that was said more on the show.  I feel like she was able to "play up" the drama of the situation.  The Mother-In-law had no right to stay in the house after she was told to leave.  I do believe the daughter clawed her because she was putting her hands on her and would not give her the child.  That's not the Mother-In-Law's place.  I would really hurt someone if they did the same thing to me in my own home with my own child.  I DON'T CARE WHO THEY ARE>>>  What right does the Mother-In-Law have to have the daughter charged with a crime on something that she is at fault with too?  She should have never touched her.  Why didn't she get charged with that?

Again, I feel like the Mother-In-Law got away with a lot during this show.  I feel that Dr. Phil should have made a bigger point of that and not let her play the "Southern Old Lady" bit so much.  She isn't the world's greatest grandma, otherwise she would not have had their Mom arrested.  She may love them, but not enough to see the truth.  She still did not see the truth on the show and she never said she was sorry for the mess with the law she created.  I feel that was a family problem, not a law problem. 

I also feel that Dr. Phil is expecting the daughter to "get over" a lot of it and that is what's going to make everything better.  You can't have it both ways with fighting the charges and having family get togethers so the Mother-In-Law can see her grandchildren. 

I have problems with my mother-in-law and it's me "getting over things" to make everything smooth just because she is old and set in her ways.  What sense does that make??  If Dr. Phil ever has a follow-up on this show, I want to be a guest to let him know he didn't stress this issue enough.  :)

September 19, 2006, 1:39 pm CDT

09/19 When In-Laws Cross the Line

Quote From: annettesshoes

I have to ask Gram why she did have any ownership in what happened...even Dr Phil was letting her know in a nice way sheas GOD as My witness GRANNY  TOO needs HELP...I was waiting for GOD to strike her dead right there for lying like a old southern bleep....and I love that the other daughter was whining from her seat y'all are attacking MOM...makeing her look bad...NO HUN MOM did that all by herself...!!!!

Let me tell ya granny...when someone tells you to leave there home LEAVE....they are her children NOT YOURS.....cause where did it get you....NO GRAND KIDS....!!!! what did you gain?

you think the grand kids are gonna grow up and Love you for having Mom arrested!!!! Duhhhhh

amen

September 19, 2006, 1:40 pm CDT

breast

WHAT IS THE grandmother's deal w/ the freaking breast enlargement... she needs to get a life and why hasn't dr. phil called her out -- she wasn't in her house and she didn't respect the mother's wishes to leave.  Those kids are not HERS.  The boundaries are not being respected byt he mom and the son MUST stand up and draw them in cement.  The grandmother is right in that the son needs to grow some balls. 

September 19, 2006, 1:49 pm CDT

Grandmas number is up

Quote From: saemae

Don't believe a single word that comes out of this "sweet, Christian, southern" woman's mouth.  This lady is my ex-mother-in-law through and through!  She had everybody believing she was a nice, wonderful human being; a year before I left her son she tried to kick me in the stomach and cause me to miscarry my daughter.  All because we said something she didn't agree with, and it was so minor I don't even remember what it was!  Catherine is not a sweet lady; I could see venom and hate seeping through every pore.  She just takes advantage of her "little old lady" facade to make people go "Aww, poor thing."  She's so full of it, if you watch her leave she'll leave brown footprints.  I ain't buying it.
I think everyones got this Grandmas number. I'm glad doctor phil did not bother wasting his time with her. The subtle correction on her part  when talking about the green room to Dr. Phil says a lot about this Grandmas personality seems she likes to correct people and even Dr. Phil had to keep from letting her suck him in and control the situation.

September 19, 2006, 1:54 pm CDT

with God as my witness

This grandmother is a classic example of the "old Virginia" wife and mother. As a transplant, Yankee at that, I don't know how many times I have heard that phrase preface a good ole southern lie!!!!  Typical, so, so typical. Sometime, some Virginians act more southern than those who actually live in the deep south. 

She is out of line, obviously confused regarding the mechanations of "the Commonwealth of Virginia".  The son and dtr-in-law should just move at least a thousand miles away.

And so what about the breast augmentation

Janilynne

September 19, 2006, 1:57 pm CDT

Quote From: mindy9767

I feel that the Mother-In-Law was wrong here.  I wish that was said more on the show.  I feel like she was able to "play up" the drama of the situation.  The Mother-In-law had no right to stay in the house after she was told to leave.  I do believe the daughter clawed her because she was putting her hands on her and would not give her the child.  That's not the Mother-In-Law's place.  I would really hurt someone if they did the same thing to me in my own home with my own child.  I DON'T CARE WHO THEY ARE>>>  What right does the Mother-In-Law have to have the daughter charged with a crime on something that she is at fault with too?  She should have never touched her.  Why didn't she get charged with that?

Again, I feel like the Mother-In-Law got away with a lot during this show.  I feel that Dr. Phil should have made a bigger point of that and not let her play the "Southern Old Lady" bit so much.  She isn't the world's greatest grandma, otherwise she would not have had their Mom arrested.  She may love them, but not enough to see the truth.  She still did not see the truth on the show and she never said she was sorry for the mess with the law she created.  I feel that was a family problem, not a law problem. 

I also feel that Dr. Phil is expecting the daughter to "get over" a lot of it and that is what's going to make everything better.  You can't have it both ways with fighting the charges and having family get togethers so the Mother-In-Law can see her grandchildren. 

I have problems with my mother-in-law and it's me "getting over things" to make everything smooth just because she is old and set in her ways.  What sense does that make??  If Dr. Phil ever has a follow-up on this show, I want to be a guest to let him know he didn't stress this issue enough.  :)

I totally agree.  I don't see how the mother was charged when the mother-in-law was in the mother's house and not leaving as requested.  And not giving the child to the mother.  As you said, it doesn't matter WHO the person is... the mother asked for her child and for the person (mother-in-law) to leave.  She didn't.  The mother in law should have been charged. 

I don't buy the B.S. DR. PHIL is giving on the saga of the greatest love is from the grandparent.  In an ideal world, yea.  But some of us don't live in that land.  I surround my children with genuine love regarless if we are related or not. 

Another piece of Dr. Phil gives i don't buy is the guilt he puts on that the grandparents will die and don't regret it.  That is not fair.  We all die and if someone has hurt you, manipulated you, disrespects you to where you don't trust.  You can't move past it and ignore it just b/c someone is going to die.  WE all will.  And until both parties own up to their part and want change, there will not be any.

September 19, 2006, 1:59 pm CDT

I am the awful inlaw

I watched this show and am brought home to my own problems with my son and daughter in law. 
I myself never had any problems with my inlaws. Love them dearly.  Our problems started early into my sons relationsheip with this girl. We saw how she treated her son and it made us very uncomfortable.  He is hers from a previous relationship.  No bother to us we love him as our own.  I pick up on verbal and physical abuse quicker than other people because I was raised by an abusive alcoholic father.  I did not want my grandchildren to live that way. Besides this they were planning a wedding that got way out of control stupid since communication is not my daughter in laws strong point.  I told Dr. Phil she is an absolute bully.
I contacted Dr. Phil and they contacted me but I assume our daughter in law wanted nothing to do with the show because I never heard from them again.  At the time she was pregnant and I knew she wouldn't fly anywhere-so where was that going to go anyway.

Things simply came to a screeching halt because she wouldn't let my son or the childen have anything to do with us.  I figure we're in good company because they have nothing to do with thier brother and sister either.  My oldest son and his wife went through all the classes to adopt (go figure, the ones that would be wonderful parents-can't have children) and at their sessions they covered topics on abuse.  That daughter in law tells me the whole time they watched this film her mind said "that's Kate and Nicky". When the film was over she asked the instructor what to do if you knew someone who treated their child like that and they were told "that's abuse and it needs to be reported immediately".

Since none of us are allowed to see them who knows what happened. Since then they have had another child that I only heard about through the grapevine, my daughter had a child 14 months ago and they have never acknowledged him and he still doesn't' talk to his brother.  So, it's not just me is it?
I had to bury my son in my mind and accept that he will never be apart of my life otherwise I couldn't go on.  My hsuband is furious with them and wants them taken completely out of the will.
I attended a funeral this week for my first cousin's daughter.  she was 20 years old and suffered from depression and finally ended her life by hanging off their back deck. Their heartbreak is my heartbreak.
NO IDEA WHAT TO DO !

September 19, 2006, 2:00 pm CDT

Quote From: annettesshoes

I have to ask Gram why she did have any ownership in what happened...even Dr Phil was letting her know in a nice way sheas GOD as My witness GRANNY  TOO needs HELP...I was waiting for GOD to strike her dead right there for lying like a old southern bleep....and I love that the other daughter was whining from her seat y'all are attacking MOM...makeing her look bad...NO HUN MOM did that all by herself...!!!!

Let me tell ya granny...when someone tells you to leave there home LEAVE....they are her children NOT YOURS.....cause where did it get you....NO GRAND KIDS....!!!! what did you gain?

you think the grand kids are gonna grow up and Love you for having Mom arrested!!!! Duhhhhh

AMEN X2.  Yes, the sister in the audience was a bit pathetic.  No one was attacking good ol grandma.  She needed it but Dr. Phil once again took the soft approach w/ the elderly.  She's a tough old bird and she needed to get a hard reality check of what she is doing to her son and his family.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last