Message Boards

Topic : 09/21 Cult Confrontations

Number of Replies: 98
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 15, 2006, 12:03:46 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Imagine growing up in a free society, but being forced to live in isolation without money, TV, cars, or contact with your family. That’s what Dr. Phil’s guests say happened to them in a religious sect known as the Aggressive Christianity Mission Training Corps. Maura brought her daughter, Rebekah, with her to the sect when Rebekah was 12. The mother and daughter say members of the cult abuse children and belittle adults who question authority. How can they move on with their lives? Then, Paula says her daughter, Stacy, cut her off when she joined the Aggressive Christianity Mission Training Corps. Paula hasn’t seen Stacy in 10 years, and maintains that her daughter was brainwashed and emotionally kidnapped. Find out what happens when Dr. Phil sends Paula to the compound with a private investigator to find Stacy. Then, Fawn B. and her friend, Fawn H., had recently escaped a polygamist cult and were having trouble adjusting to their new life. Fawn B. has been excelling in school, but the other Fawn dropped out, ran away and has experimented with sex, drugs and alcohol. Can the troubled teen turn her life around? Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More September 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 21, 2006, 1:23 pm CDT

not sure if in a cult

It' has been a while since i seen my sister and nephew. I don't think that she is in a cult but it is like she has been wash of her own blood family. The last time i was her was when i work in the same place as her. I would try to talk with her but the convercations were always short never really concenerd about the family. i have got to see my nephews fisrt and second birthday that is it. she use to let us come see them and even write back to us me and her were close sisters, but know she want write me back she sends letters back and she has even changed her phone number many times. I just want to know why she cut us off from her we don't care if that is what she wants but to cut us off from them completely really hurts.

September 21, 2006, 1:33 pm CDT

Think About it

When you think about it; religion in general is like a cult.  I'm not saying that religion doesn't have good intentions, but when the church is controlled by politics and money it's hard to think otherwise.  Think about the history of the Catholic church(the dark history) when churches were having people killed for not sharing in the same beliefs.  Although things don't seem like that now; the church claims that they have the only true answers.  Religious leaders claim that the only way to God is through them.  The message this says to people is that God will not listen to you, you must come to me to talk to God.  I certainly don't want to pick on one religion because this is true of most religions.  When you build religion off the basis of "We are the only path to God" then it's very cult-like.  Anyone claiming to have the answers and therefore anyone else that challenges them is wrong is how cults start.  Thank God people can  think for themselves and won't be killed for their beliefs in this country, but there are some that live and die by the word of the beliefs(any religion).  People then tend to feel they have the right to judge by the word of their religious beliefs and all are wrong for believing otherwise.  The Path to God is within yourself, Jesus' own words teaching that the kingdom of God is within each and everyone of us, seek and ye shall find.  Jesus himself never actually taught in a church.  So please be careful whenever anyone claims to have the only answers to your own spirtual wellness.      

September 21, 2006, 1:52 pm CDT

Cults and their destruction to our family

You know, not all cults are dirt roads in montana or idaho whichever state is chosen, some cult activity is right in front of our eyes.  Last Christmas, my daughter informed me that she became a Jehovah Witness and married a month 3 months prior in Eulace Texas.  They made everything hush hush, Even had the audacity to sit and break bread with us at Thanksgiving with no admissions prior to Christmas.  I admit, when she told me about her decision at Christmas, I lost it.  The deceit was unbareable.  This child was raised to be honest and upfront about anything.  She was that way until her Puerto Rican husband, a former Jehovah Witness BRAINWASHED her into marriage and then into joining this Jehovah Witness CULT!

My husband and I who are Christians, asked her many questions about her new beliefs and she had ALL the answers.  As if she were programmed.  I have not spoken to her since that time.  Of course, her so called husband didnt even have the guts to come with her and announce their decisions.  He is 38 years old and she is 21.  He has brainwashed her and taken away her innocence and her freedom of her future.  Its a terrible feeling inside to know that someone can just rob your beautiful child of everything.  2 months later, I found a Jehovah Witness pamplet on my door.  Talk about a slap in the face.  Ive not received a letter, email, phone call....nothing from her.  My other daughter tries to slip a few comments in, but I just cant listen.  All I can do is pray that God will reach out and help her.  She is of legal age and can do what she wants.  I cant help her at all.  I dont even know how to get ahold of her at this point.  These particular churches are scattered all over the world.  It doesnt make it less of a cult, just because they are in plain site!  She HAD such a bright future.  Not anymore.  Please everyone, say a prayer for my daughter that she be rescued from this cult!  I pray all the time, and am still with hope that my prayers are answered.  This man and his church has robbed her of her life.  She can be naive as well and just believes so many people who are very convincing around her.  Please....pray for Chelsea in Eulace Texas.  Thank you

September 21, 2006, 2:05 pm CDT

CULT CONFRONTATIONS

Quote From: holistichell

It would be great if Dr. Phil did a show on the more covert methods and groups that employ thought reform, the large group awareness trainings and psychotherapy cults.  More experts on cults, like Rick Ross, would be great to have on the show.   Mr. Ross has a huge database on all these other groups, as well as the more traditional cult groups, like the one on Dr. Phil's show. 

I would like to know more information on this Rick Ross.  Please post a web site that one might learn from?

Thank you

September 21, 2006, 2:11 pm CDT

Shame

It is a shame that folks get lost in all this kind of junk.  It is a shame that cults get away with this under the name of religion.  I am a very religous person, and there is nothing in the Bible that talks about child brides, child abuse, seperation of family, etc.  We can get married, one Man + one Woman, NOT man to man or woman to woman, and not multiple wives.  (multiple wives - not homosexuals - were "allowed" in the Old Testament, but not "allowed" (authorized) in the New Testament, what we are under now).  The Bible does talk about leaving and cleaving, but that means to cut the aprons stings, not to get rid of your family all together.  What these cults are doing is WRONG!  It's sad that people fall for the lies.  I have a cousin who fell for it, (for years) by the time he grew his brain back and came "home," our grandma had died, he will live for that for the rest of his life. 

There is some true sickness in our country!!  It is just soooo frustrating that some few religious nuts give a bad name to all of Christians.  God does not authorize any of this junk that takes place with these sick people.  If people would JUST read their Bibles, they would know what God wants us to do.  It is sad that some can claim to read the Bible, and say this is what they get from it.  When the Bible is read correctly, only good comes from it!  

I sure hope that they get to the daughter and she will wake up.  But I also can understand if she is just that scared. 

September 21, 2006, 2:27 pm CDT

Hi. I found a link... Let me know if the right link.

Quote From: merobin2

I would like to know more information on this Rick Ross.  Please post a web site that one might learn from?

Thank you

http://www.rickross.com

September 21, 2006, 2:29 pm CDT

Why?

Quote From: clockers

When you think about it; religion in general is like a cult.  I'm not saying that religion doesn't have good intentions, but when the church is controlled by politics and money it's hard to think otherwise.  Think about the history of the Catholic church(the dark history) when churches were having people killed for not sharing in the same beliefs.  Although things don't seem like that now; the church claims that they have the only true answers.  Religious leaders claim that the only way to God is through them.  The message this says to people is that God will not listen to you, you must come to me to talk to God.  I certainly don't want to pick on one religion because this is true of most religions.  When you build religion off the basis of "We are the only path to God" then it's very cult-like.  Anyone claiming to have the answers and therefore anyone else that challenges them is wrong is how cults start.  Thank God people can  think for themselves and won't be killed for their beliefs in this country, but there are some that live and die by the word of the beliefs(any religion).  People then tend to feel they have the right to judge by the word of their religious beliefs and all are wrong for believing otherwise.  The Path to God is within yourself, Jesus' own words teaching that the kingdom of God is within each and everyone of us, seek and ye shall find.  Jesus himself never actually taught in a church.  So please be careful whenever anyone claims to have the only answers to your own spirtual wellness.      
Can we not start with the Catholic bashing?  "it's dark history?" Please! First of all, the 'dark history' of the Catholic church was all Christian history until the 1600's and the reformation. Before the reformation, if you were Christian, you were Catholic.  It is not a cult.  Just because you seem to have a history with organized religion does not mean it is a cult.

September 21, 2006, 2:31 pm CDT

I understand completely

September 21, 2006, 2:36 pm CDT

Getting information

Would it be possible to sue the cult for "alienation of affection"?  Even if you loose, wouldn't it give the authorities the power to enter the premises and see Gracious River with supoenas?

Thanks,

easternnc

September 21, 2006, 2:48 pm CDT

please dont confuse religion and cult or occult

this show was very eye opening and i'm glad Dr phil brought attentino to these "cults".  I've read some posts that disturb me.. one woman calling "new age" a cult.. it is not necessarily a cult.. it may be Occultish but the Occult is not a Cult.  and many religions (like jehovah's witness) are recognized religons, just like this aggressive christian cult was a form of christianity, it doesnt represent Christianity.    if something Isn't Christian, Jewish or Mulslim that doestn mean an alternative religion is a cult, tis just that a religion.  the word "cult" is very grey when it comes to peoples viewes of what a cult is.  When saying someone is involved in a cult make sure you're not just mistaking a religion you dont agree with or understand..... for a dangerous "cult". 

I would really like Dr phil to do a show about cults and explain what a cult is.... not just show one and use the word cult.  for something to be a cult it must meet some "criteria" some may meet all.. I would love to see Dr phil do a show showing how cults work, the pshycological abuse these victums suffer... and warning signs that someone might be "right" for a cult, like why they join, how these cults recruit and what to do to keep your loved ones from getting invovled.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last