Message Boards

Topic : 09/21 Cult Confrontations

Number of Replies: 98
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 15, 2006, 12:03:46 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Imagine growing up in a free society, but being forced to live in isolation without money, TV, cars, or contact with your family. That’s what Dr. Phil’s guests say happened to them in a religious sect known as the Aggressive Christianity Mission Training Corps. Maura brought her daughter, Rebekah, with her to the sect when Rebekah was 12. The mother and daughter say members of the cult abuse children and belittle adults who question authority. How can they move on with their lives? Then, Paula says her daughter, Stacy, cut her off when she joined the Aggressive Christianity Mission Training Corps. Paula hasn’t seen Stacy in 10 years, and maintains that her daughter was brainwashed and emotionally kidnapped. Find out what happens when Dr. Phil sends Paula to the compound with a private investigator to find Stacy. Then, Fawn B. and her friend, Fawn H., had recently escaped a polygamist cult and were having trouble adjusting to their new life. Fawn B. has been excelling in school, but the other Fawn dropped out, ran away and has experimented with sex, drugs and alcohol. Can the troubled teen turn her life around? Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More September 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 21, 2006, 3:54 pm CDT

Cult Confrontations

I grew up in a family of seventeen siblings.  I am number 13 and am one of 10 daughters.  In the early 1980's, my father was interested in getting our family involved with a cult in Southern Utah.  The Lafferty Brothers were part of this cult, they are serving life sentinces in Utah State Prison for murdering their sister-in-law.  The Lafferty Bros threatened two of my older sisters when they tried to confront my father about his getting involved with this cult.

In the end, my parents got divorced and my father never ended up following through with his involvement. He lives with his new wife in Arizona and is doing fine.

I was interested in finding out how I can help support any youth who may need a room if they want to leave the organization.  I live in Utah County. I heard on the news that supporters of those who wish to leave the polygamists cult are needed.

September 21, 2006, 3:56 pm CDT

Just my opinion

I think it was a blessing when Dr. Phil aired the story of Colorado City. It is good to know that they are exposed and people are getting help. I wish the laws in the US where  more strick with pedifiles. How does a judge let a pervert go on probation just because it was his/her first offence? Why aren't they locked up for good? The victums life is changed for the rest of their life, why not make the offender pay for the rest of their's? I understand that life is not always fair, but come on. I just wish there was more common since in this world.

September 21, 2006, 3:57 pm CDT

Just my opinion

I think it was a blessing when Dr. Phil aired the story of Colorado City. It is good to know that they are exposed and people are getting help. I wish the laws in the US where  more strick with pedifiles. How does a judge let a pervert go on probation just because it was his/her first offence? Why aren't they locked up for good? The victums life is changed for the rest of their life, why not make the offender pay for the rest of their's? I understand that life is not always fair, but come on. I just wish there was more common since in this world.

September 21, 2006, 4:04 pm CDT

Cult Confrontation

Quote From: ladynoogs45744

this show was very eye opening and i'm glad Dr phil brought attentino to these "cults".  I've read some posts that disturb me.. one woman calling "new age" a cult.. it is not necessarily a cult.. it may be Occultish but the Occult is not a Cult.  and many religions (like jehovah's witness) are recognized religons, just like this aggressive christian cult was a form of christianity, it doesnt represent Christianity.    if something Isn't Christian, Jewish or Mulslim that doestn mean an alternative religion is a cult, tis just that a religion.  the word "cult" is very grey when it comes to peoples viewes of what a cult is.  When saying someone is involved in a cult make sure you're not just mistaking a religion you dont agree with or understand..... for a dangerous "cult". 

I would really like Dr phil to do a show about cults and explain what a cult is.... not just show one and use the word cult.  for something to be a cult it must meet some "criteria" some may meet all.. I would love to see Dr phil do a show showing how cults work, the pshycological abuse these victums suffer... and warning signs that someone might be "right" for a cult, like why they join, how these cults recruit and what to do to keep your loved ones from getting invovled.

The book, "Take Back Your Life....Recovering from Cults and Abusive Relationships" by Janja Lalich and Madeleine Tobias, will answer most of the questions you mentioned in your post.

My daughter started out studying and practicing New Age Religion....to me, that's a cult, as least for her it was.  These people paint a religious "picture" but it's just a front. Once involved, the mind control starts.  There's nothing wrong with meditation (God meditated in the Garden), nothing wrong with Yoga or chanting but when it's done in a way that alters a persons identity, that's dangerous!  Read the book..you'll understand a little better on where I'm coming from.

By the way, do you have any association or loved ones involved in a cult?  I would be interested in understanding your interpretation of New Age Religion.  I might add at the time my daughter was into it, she was going to meditation group at the top of a mountain in a so called temple (which was nothing more than a decorated Moose lodge)  under the leadership of Mafu.  How do I know...I went with her because I felt I needed to get better "acquainted" with her so-called friends.  I don't know if I was lucky or not to have experienced it....strangest event I have ever seen and it lasted all night into the early morning.  There was no religious teaching going on or meditation.

September 21, 2006, 4:06 pm CDT

We too have lost our daughter

As I watched todays program, there were many similarities of when our daughter left home and the time immediately prior to her leaving.  Then I read a post about a young lady involved in a destructive mind control relationship.  Our daughter, now 19, is living with a former public high school teacher, age 48.  The innapropriate relationship began when our daughter was 17.  When we went to the public high school for assistance, the administration shielded and protected the teacher.  We have also learned that this same teacher had an innapropriate relationship with another female student.  He has since lost his job and the local school is currently being investigated by the state board of education.  Our daughter moved out of her family home five days after turning 18.  She told us she never wanted to see us (which includes her parents, siblings, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, and former friends) again, was going to live with her "new" family (the teacher),and was even going to change her name. She had just began her senior year of high school.  We had went to the police for help, hired an attorney,  private investigator, been on a merry-go-round in the court system, and have gotten no closer to our daughter because "she is eighteen."  We have also hired a cult expert for advice.  For any of the methods to be effective, though, there has to be some contact with our daughter.  We have not spoken to her since she left our home over a year ago.  Shortly after leaving our home, she dropped out of high school,quit her job, and withdrew from any memories of her prior life.  Our daughter is still in the local area.  She is rarely seen in public, but whenever anyone does see her, she is with the teacher and does not look well (tired, emotionless, and hidden with a ball cap pulled low over her face.)  This man controls her every move.  She has indeed changed her name to his last name.  And the local courts granted her petition for the name change.  This story is so bizarre you would almost believe it is not true, except we have been living it for over 18 months now.  This teacher was able to use undue influence over our daughter and continues to do so each day.   We need to be informed about the dangerous control that one person can exhibit over another.  Our family wants to do whatever we can to help,  and prevent this from happening to someone else's daughter! 

September 21, 2006, 4:22 pm CDT

Question about LDS vs FLDS

I am thoroughly confused about cults, polygamy, religion sects, etc. I understand some things about LDS, and know a few things about the FLDS. I also understand that the LDS will excommunicate anyone in its church who believes or practices in polygamy. But isn't the taking of multiple wives still a part of  the Mormom Doctrine and Covenants. Specifically that they need a minimum of  wives to enter heaven? Why would they excommunicate a member of their church if it's part of their scriptures from God? 

PS. I'm not trying to start a debate about the Mormon religion, but just trying to clear up my own confusion about their beliefs. Does anyone know?

September 21, 2006, 4:26 pm CDT

Grab her back

Quote From: unefille

As I watched todays program, there were many similarities of when our daughter left home and the time immediately prior to her leaving.  Then I read a post about a young lady involved in a destructive mind control relationship.  Our daughter, now 19, is living with a former public high school teacher, age 48.  The innapropriate relationship began when our daughter was 17.  When we went to the public high school for assistance, the administration shielded and protected the teacher.  We have also learned that this same teacher had an innapropriate relationship with another female student.  He has since lost his job and the local school is currently being investigated by the state board of education.  Our daughter moved out of her family home five days after turning 18.  She told us she never wanted to see us (which includes her parents, siblings, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, and former friends) again, was going to live with her "new" family (the teacher),and was even going to change her name. She had just began her senior year of high school.  We had went to the police for help, hired an attorney,  private investigator, been on a merry-go-round in the court system, and have gotten no closer to our daughter because "she is eighteen."  We have also hired a cult expert for advice.  For any of the methods to be effective, though, there has to be some contact with our daughter.  We have not spoken to her since she left our home over a year ago.  Shortly after leaving our home, she dropped out of high school,quit her job, and withdrew from any memories of her prior life.  Our daughter is still in the local area.  She is rarely seen in public, but whenever anyone does see her, she is with the teacher and does not look well (tired, emotionless, and hidden with a ball cap pulled low over her face.)  This man controls her every move.  She has indeed changed her name to his last name.  And the local courts granted her petition for the name change.  This story is so bizarre you would almost believe it is not true, except we have been living it for over 18 months now.  This teacher was able to use undue influence over our daughter and continues to do so each day.   We need to be informed about the dangerous control that one person can exhibit over another.  Our family wants to do whatever we can to help,  and prevent this from happening to someone else's daughter! 

She was under aged when this teacher started to manipulate her. Good grief, why can't the authorities help with this situation? It amazes me that this matter has gone on for so long without  some resolve. If you know she comes into town I would have someone kidnap her back. Might sound ridiculous but I would do anything to get my child out of the controlling clutches of a cult or anyone else for that matter.

September 21, 2006, 4:28 pm CDT

Read and ye shall find

Quote From: peeplvr

Can we not start with the Catholic bashing?  "it's dark history?" Please! First of all, the 'dark history' of the Catholic church was all Christian history until the 1600's and the reformation. Before the reformation, if you were Christian, you were Catholic.  It is not a cult.  Just because you seem to have a history with organized religion does not mean it is a cult.

First off, if you actually read what I posted I made sure to include any religions.  I only refered to Christians because the show was about Christian cults and not to mention it's the most popular religion in the world.  Although there may be problems with the current church, I was refering to history.  Certainly anyone can bash what was done in the past in the name of God.  Secondly I never said the Catholic church was a cult, I did say religion and the church was cult-like.  So please don't mis-interpet my words.  I strongly believe in Jesus and his teachings, just not the way religion goes about claiming that theirs is the real and only answer.

P.S. You are absolutely right and I should have never said catholic when refering to christianity, I realize they are different, so I do apologize

September 21, 2006, 4:31 pm CDT

Cult Confrontations

Quote From: yesyoucan

Sadly, there's lots of Religious Malpractice isn't there? Not sure if below will help you or not yet someone else asked about Rick Ross on here so decided to post to you too. It is the link after the contact Dr. Phil link below. Also, Dateline NBC and some of the other news magazine shows on network TV will take on cult stories occasionally to help persons who contact them. I hope you hear from Dr. Phil and although Dr. Phil doesn't have resources to help everyone I imagine would that he could. Dr. Phil is like an earth angel for he gets results and quickly usually. Best wishes come true to you and all of us. SEA

NBC DATELINE
E-mail: dateline@nbc.com
30 Rockefeller Plaza
New York, NY 10112

Dr. Phil show
5482 Wilshire Boulevard #1902
Los Angeles, CA 90036

http://www.drphil.com/plugger/respond/?plugID=9163

http://www.rickross.com/help.html

Thank you for the info and kind words.  I am aware of Rick Ross and his website.  Lord knows I searched all night for several nights trying to find someone who could explain some of this stuff.  This kind of stuff we see on TV and read about in the paper.  I can't believe I have become one of "those" people because I never thought in a million years this would ever happen. I try to ask myself if there's a lesson here.  My husband and I have beat ourselves up asking ourselves are we to blame. One would think this guy would be satisfied to manipulate just our daughter's life but he is trying to manipulate us emotionally and that really angers me.  He plays mind games..almost like he knows what our reaction will be and he uses our daughter to do that.  I don't expect to hear from Dr. Phil but I am considering contacting  the Private Investigator that was on his show.  The cult "experts" we have spoken with suggested we try and stay in contact but it takes 2 people to keep a communication going. I do send letters, phone calls etc as though nothing is out of the ordinary hoping I will get the chance to speak with her.  We can sense that at times it seemed like she was told what to say or that someone was near and she could not speak freely.  When we saw her in May '06, her behaviour was so extreme..so extreme that we felt her only purpose for coming to our home was to shock and repulse me so I would never speak to her again.  Yet, when I tried to talk with her tears were rolling down her face she but refused to say anything.  The "experts" explained that behavior to mean she was "struggling"..torn between doing what she was told to do and not wanting to do it. There are so many stories!!! I don't doubt for a second she is in a cult relationship with this guy.  She may have been infatuated with him in the beginning but somewhere it changed.  Thanks for your response to my post.  I don't understand why or how one person can have that much power over another.  My daughter was very independent, strong-willed and adventurous.  Now, she's just a shell.

September 21, 2006, 4:37 pm CDT

Get her back

Quote From: eztolove2

She was under aged when this teacher started to manipulate her. Good grief, why can't the authorities help with this situation? It amazes me that this matter has gone on for so long without  some resolve. If you know she comes into town I would have someone kidnap her back. Might sound ridiculous but I would do anything to get my child out of the controlling clutches of a cult or anyone else for that matter.

I have seen stories on TV about cults and how devestating it is for parents to lose a child in this way.  We have all said the same thing.."I would do anything to get my child back..."nothing would stop me from getting my child out of a cult"....it's not as easy as you may think.  It's almost like having to go underground and thru a maze and at the end of the maze you realize you're right back where you started from. 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last