Message Boards

Topic : 09/21 Cult Confrontations

Number of Replies: 98
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 15, 2006, 12:03:46 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Imagine growing up in a free society, but being forced to live in isolation without money, TV, cars, or contact with your family. That’s what Dr. Phil’s guests say happened to them in a religious sect known as the Aggressive Christianity Mission Training Corps. Maura brought her daughter, Rebekah, with her to the sect when Rebekah was 12. The mother and daughter say members of the cult abuse children and belittle adults who question authority. How can they move on with their lives? Then, Paula says her daughter, Stacy, cut her off when she joined the Aggressive Christianity Mission Training Corps. Paula hasn’t seen Stacy in 10 years, and maintains that her daughter was brainwashed and emotionally kidnapped. Find out what happens when Dr. Phil sends Paula to the compound with a private investigator to find Stacy. Then, Fawn B. and her friend, Fawn H., had recently escaped a polygamist cult and were having trouble adjusting to their new life. Fawn B. has been excelling in school, but the other Fawn dropped out, ran away and has experimented with sex, drugs and alcohol. Can the troubled teen turn her life around? Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More September 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 22, 2006, 9:30 am CDT

09/21 Cult Confrontations

Quote From: unefille

As I watched todays program, there were many similarities of when our daughter left home and the time immediately prior to her leaving.  Then I read a post about a young lady involved in a destructive mind control relationship.  Our daughter, now 19, is living with a former public high school teacher, age 48.  The innapropriate relationship began when our daughter was 17.  When we went to the public high school for assistance, the administration shielded and protected the teacher.  We have also learned that this same teacher had an innapropriate relationship with another female student.  He has since lost his job and the local school is currently being investigated by the state board of education.  Our daughter moved out of her family home five days after turning 18.  She told us she never wanted to see us (which includes her parents, siblings, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, and former friends) again, was going to live with her "new" family (the teacher),and was even going to change her name. She had just began her senior year of high school.  We had went to the police for help, hired an attorney,  private investigator, been on a merry-go-round in the court system, and have gotten no closer to our daughter because "she is eighteen."  We have also hired a cult expert for advice.  For any of the methods to be effective, though, there has to be some contact with our daughter.  We have not spoken to her since she left our home over a year ago.  Shortly after leaving our home, she dropped out of high school,quit her job, and withdrew from any memories of her prior life.  Our daughter is still in the local area.  She is rarely seen in public, but whenever anyone does see her, she is with the teacher and does not look well (tired, emotionless, and hidden with a ball cap pulled low over her face.)  This man controls her every move.  She has indeed changed her name to his last name.  And the local courts granted her petition for the name change.  This story is so bizarre you would almost believe it is not true, except we have been living it for over 18 months now.  This teacher was able to use undue influence over our daughter and continues to do so each day.   We need to be informed about the dangerous control that one person can exhibit over another.  Our family wants to do whatever we can to help,  and prevent this from happening to someone else's daughter! 

Thank you for sharing your story. Don't give up on your daughter. My prayers are with you and your family!

September 22, 2006, 9:33 am CDT

Quote From: northernangel

Not everyone agrees that to be a Christian that you need to go to church.  Believing in God and his son Jesus is what religion is all about.  God is all around us.  You can see his works everywhere.  People treating each other with kindness and respect.  Saying hello and giving a hand to a stranger.  Look at the stars, sunrise, sunset, blue skies, rain, animals and on and on and on.  I go to church personally to receive the holy eucharist and to hear bible verses and people who want to help others.  Yes churches can have devastating effects if you arent careful and fall into the hands of certain ones that I would definityely  call a cult.  But most chiurches can be  considered as Social Clubs where you get together in God's name.  I greeew up going to church until I reached my teen years, then felt I knew enough to not need the church anymore.  Well, I found out how wrong I was.  I turned to alcohol drugs and sex and lived a life what I would consider certainly not in the best interest for me or my fammmily.  Since I returned to church and let God back into my life, my whole demeanour has changed.  I feel more loved and and show much more respect and love and kindness to others and live a good healthy life which is what God wants for us all.  To each their own as to whether they want to go to church or not.  But I believe that when you leave it is easy to fall back into your old ways and you will pay the price.  I believe everyone is entitled to beliefs.  This is mine.  Thank you, northern angel

AMEN! I truly enjoyed your post. Thank you for sharing! God Bless you!

September 22, 2006, 9:35 am CDT

To all you who have escaped a Cult

I applaud you all for having the courage to post your stories. For having the courage and wisdom to know these people were not of God. God Bless you all! My prayers are with each and everyone of you!  

September 22, 2006, 10:01 am CDT

New age relgion

Quote From: cthelite

The book, "Take Back Your Life....Recovering from Cults and Abusive Relationships" by Janja Lalich and Madeleine Tobias, will answer most of the questions you mentioned in your post.

My daughter started out studying and practicing New Age Religion....to me, that's a cult, as least for her it was.  These people paint a religious "picture" but it's just a front. Once involved, the mind control starts.  There's nothing wrong with meditation (God meditated in the Garden), nothing wrong with Yoga or chanting but when it's done in a way that alters a persons identity, that's dangerous!  Read the book..you'll understand a little better on where I'm coming from.

By the way, do you have any association or loved ones involved in a cult?  I would be interested in understanding your interpretation of New Age Religion.  I might add at the time my daughter was into it, she was going to meditation group at the top of a mountain in a so called temple (which was nothing more than a decorated Moose lodge)  under the leadership of Mafu.  How do I know...I went with her because I felt I needed to get better "acquainted" with her so-called friends.  I don't know if I was lucky or not to have experienced it....strangest event I have ever seen and it lasted all night into the early morning.  There was no religious teaching going on or meditation.

a "new age relgion" to me is a relgion that is not of Christian, jewish or muslim origin (actualy thats websters definition of Pagan but Pagan seems encompas "new age").... some of them are derived from religions OLDER than those mentioned... examples of "new age" to me would be.. neo-paganism, wicca, astrue, ba'hi (sp?), shamanism, heathenism ext...  

no i've never had a loved one associated with a "cult" as the definition... but i have known of people who had loved ones in certain 'christan" cults... i.e snake handlers in WV and TN... certain extremist Christian churches like the ones on the dr phil show.

I checked out a page about that book... and it sounds like a great model for what a "cult" is... i was asking the question and suggesting dr phil do the show on behalf of others... i have a pretty good knowledge of "cults" and how they are generally defined.. i've done study and have had some formal training on them.... this books seems in line with others i've read by Issac Bonnewits, and other authors who names escape me right now... the training i attended was a bit on the biased side, using only Christian sources, so some of the infomation on the OCCULT was inaccurate... but the phsyicology used to form any kind of cult whether politica, buiness or doomsday (ada religion) cults were the same. 

September 22, 2006, 11:08 am CDT

Thanks for getting involved!

This show only touches the tip of the ice berg when it comes to the horrid things that happen behind closed doors, as people live there daily life with out any idea. The United States is no longer the proverbial "virgin" to the evils of the world and I applaud loudly the Dr. Phil Show or any one who takes on these monsters who prey on the week. I will keep watching and hope to see follow up shows on the same topic because all these people are secretly wishing someone will do something. Keep up the exelent work!

September 22, 2006, 11:30 am CDT

How true

Quote From: cthelite

I have seen stories on TV about cults and how devestating it is for parents to lose a child in this way.  We have all said the same thing.."I would do anything to get my child back..."nothing would stop me from getting my child out of a cult"....it's not as easy as you may think.  It's almost like having to go underground and thru a maze and at the end of the maze you realize you're right back where you started from. 

That's basically what we have already been through.  You wouldn't believe everything there is to our story; what we have been through, and learned about undue influence and corruption at every level of small town America.

September 22, 2006, 3:46 pm CDT

Well - the question is, what are YOU thinking

Quote From: peeplvr

I am not upset with the people who were dragged into cults as children or born into them. I understand why they are there, they don't anything different. Whe I say I want to slap people, I mean the older people who have cognitive thinking skills, supposedly. What the hell are you people thinking?

Cults con people and don't prey on weak people; that is a myth.   THey prey on people they can get something out of, and it's a slow boil.  The person who has been recruited doesn't know what is happening.   You  need to educate yourself so you don't have the need to slap people who have been duped, as you could easily be if you continue to think like you are.

September 22, 2006, 3:54 pm CDT

More cult information

http://www.blgoldberg.com/POSTCULT.htm   http://www.csj.org/   http://www.freedomofmind.com/   http://www.factnet.org/

September 22, 2006, 4:11 pm CDT

http://www.blgoldberg.com/POSTCULT.htm     http://www.csj.org/     http://www.freedomofmind.com/     http://www.factnet.org/   Books: The Guru Papers: Masks of Authoritarian Power, by Joel Kramer and DianA Alstad   Turn Off Your Mind: The Mystic Sixties and the Dark Side of the Age of Aquarius (about roots of new age cults), by Gary Lachman   Spiritual Vampires:  The use and misuse of spiritual power, by Marty Raphael   Recovery from Abusive Groups, by Wendy Ford   Prophetic Charisma, The Psychology  of Revolutionary Religious Personalities, by Len Oakes   Cults in Our Midst, The Hidden Menace in our Everyday Lives, by Margaret Thaler Singer with forward by Robert Jay Lefton 

September 22, 2006, 4:24 pm CDT

Too bad the board doesn't put in

Quote From: holistichell

http://www.blgoldberg.com/POSTCULT.htm     http://www.csj.org/     http://www.freedomofmind.com/     http://www.factnet.org/   Books: The Guru Papers: Masks of Authoritarian Power, by Joel Kramer and DianA Alstad   Turn Off Your Mind: The Mystic Sixties and the Dark Side of the Age of Aquarius (about roots of new age cults), by Gary Lachman   Spiritual Vampires:  The use and misuse of spiritual power, by Marty Raphael   Recovery from Abusive Groups, by Wendy Ford   Prophetic Charisma, The Psychology  of Revolutionary Religious Personalities, by Len Oakes   Cults in Our Midst, The Hidden Menace in our Everyday Lives, by Margaret Thaler Singer with forward by Robert Jay Lefton 
inhard returns between lines.  All the titles are mushed together.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last