Message Boards

Topic : Interracial Relationships

Number of Replies: 214
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 15, 2006, 03:46:10 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Society has become more accepting towards relationships with someone of a different race. Is your family united, or divided over your interracial relationship? Share your story here.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 26, 2008, 7:17 pm CDT

Interracial Relationships

Quote From: naliniss

That is really funny. Stay firm ladies? What kind of world do  you live in? Do you want to know what vanilla and chocolate have in common? They are both flavours. Do you know what blacks and whites have in common? They are both human.

No matter how many ways you want to tell yourself it will not work, you are missing out on the beauty of why it does.

I am sorry your kids have to experience racial hatred but why do you have to make it harder with your attitude?

Some black people are looking for some acknowledgement for the torture their ancestors went through to make the US and maybe if some white people were the slaves that built the US they would know why.

I just wish both would find a way to get past it.....acknowledgment.

I find it funny also because so many black and white people in America are exactly the same if you think about it.

I completely agree. We are both human and that's all we need to have in common. The ONLY difference is the color of our skin. Yes, you will find white trash. You'll find people that sell crack to kids. Yes, you will find black rappers who disrespect females by referring to them all as bitches and hoes. Sorry to sound stereotypical, but I said that to say this: There are bad seeds in every race. It's ridiculous to say that just because there are a few bad people, that one race is better. This is just not true.

May 4, 2008, 4:45 am CDT

My boyfriend will not come on a romantic getaway with me.

He knows that I am very stressed at the moment so I innocently suggested that perhaps it would be nice for us to go on a romantic break. It would only last 2 days so it would not impinge on his time. I looked on google for charmingn getaways, typing destinations such as 'a lovely getaway for two university lovers' and i foudn some really good places. but still, he refused.

Furthermore, i was just about to eand this message but i just saw him searching on google for 'recently released songs' AFTER CLAIMING THAT HE DID NOT HAVE TIME TO SEARCH FOR HOLIDAY.S

furthrmore  he just said he woudl like SEXY TIME. well, he never says he wants LOVING time or anything nice. just sexy time.

May 4, 2008, 4:47 am CDT

Quote From: randymandy999

He knows that I am very stressed at the moment so I innocently suggested that perhaps it would be nice for us to go on a romantic break. It would only last 2 days so it would not impinge on his time. I looked on google for charmingn getaways, typing destinations such as 'a lovely getaway for two university lovers' and i foudn some really good places. but still, he refused.

Furthermore, i was just about to eand this message but i just saw him searching on google for 'recently released songs' AFTER CLAIMING THAT HE DID NOT HAVE TIME TO SEARCH FOR HOLIDAY.S

furthrmore  he just said he woudl like SEXY TIME. well, he never says he wants LOVING time or anything nice. just sexy time.

girls, i know you will support me here. this is not right

May 4, 2008, 6:19 am CDT

Quote From: randymandy999

May 17, 2008, 11:36 am CDT

lost hope =(

ok, so im 20 years old..about to be 21 in june....ive been seeing this guy for a about a year. his name is osvaldo-ozzie for short....hes 25....he works, has his own place, when he was a kid though..he was bad, he has a little bit of a record, nothing CRIMINAL. but stupid things kids get themselves into.....but now hes good..he stopped all that when he was like 18...anywhooo...i really love him. He is puerto-rican and i am white. now my family are not rascists but when it comes to me dating someone out of my own race...they're the WORST. well when i started seeing him, my family didnt really know much. i kinda kept everything a big secret.....i told themm i met a guy half white/ half spanish (hes not half white but i said that to make it sound a little better)....ii described him...bla bla bla...so a month or so after, i allowed him to meet my parents...they were all for it, but as soon as they seen him, they completely changed their mind. they greeted him and when he left all they did was talk sh-t. he looks soo puerto rican..how could u date this type of guy? he'll never be accepted in our family...your an embarrassment..bla bla bla. that really made me feel horrible....so they told me i wasnt allowed to see him. (remind u i was like 19-turning 20 at the time...pretty much an adult!) so i agreed...but kept seeing him in the hUsH hUsh!!!...they found out. and it was like months of non-stop fighting back and forth...me lying about where i was going, where i was sleeping, who i was with.....just so they wouldnt fight with me about seeing this guy. finally about 7 months down the line...i gave up, i finally moved out and moved into his apartment with him. my parents didnt talk to me for a week...and then they wanted me to move back home. i didn't...i stayed there, and im still there. They finally accepted that i was with this person.......they stopped the bickering, but they will not allow him in their house...or anywhere near. they lie to all my family members (aunts,uncles,grandparents) that i dont have a boyfriend...all the holidays i have to go spend with my  family and he stays home by himself (his mom and dad passed away) ....... i have to lie to my family that i am single and bla bla bla because my parents are too embarrassed. its been like 2-3 months since ive been living there....i kinda have a good relationship with my parents because there is not as much fighting, and im not living in their house so they really cant say anything....but it just hurts because i want them to accept him and see him for who he really is. he has such a good heart. and my parents wont even give him 1 minute out of their time. i feel like our relationship cant really progress if he is not involved with my family. he even mentioned it to me how much it hurts him that they judge him when they dont even know him...he wants to have a relationship with my parents....as much as i talk to them and try to make them realize that he is a good person and just give him a chance....all they think is that he is some kind of scumbag that will never be able to take care of me. i dont know what to say or do anymore.
 any advice?

May 19, 2008, 3:51 pm CDT

Interracial Dating

I am a 34 yr old white single mother of a 4 year old who is bi-racial.  My family has a problem with me dating outside my race.  My grandmother always asks me why can't you find a nice white guy.  I have dated white guys but do prefer to date interracially.  Also I feel that white men have a problem with my bi-racial daughter.  We come as a package and I need someone that will accept both of us.  I feel that dating in my 30's are very hard and so want to settle down but don't want to settle for someone I won't be happy with.  I wish my family would accept me dating outside my race because I want to be happy with the person that I am with.  I need to find that guy that treats me right. 

P.S. The guys that were on the show on the 14th were pretty hot.   I really thought Carlos was HOTTTT!!!!

May 19, 2008, 5:44 pm CDT

Don't Know What to do.

I have been in an interacial relationship for about two years.  I am only 20 years old so when I first started the relationship i was not too worried, because I wasn't sure if it would work it.  However, I fell in love with my boyfriend and we have been going strong ever since.  The only problem is my family, especially my father.  My father is of Cuban descent, but born in this country and he is racist towards African Americans.  My boyfriend is Hatian, and my father would never approve of the realtionship.  SInce my relationship was getting serious I decided that I should talk to my father about it.  However, before I got the chance to talk to him my father found a picture of me and my boyfriend, and in the picture we were kissing.  My father was furious and asked me if that was my boyfriend I admited that he was my boyfriend at one point, but lied and told him we broke up.  I feel bad for lying, but just seeing my fathers reaction scared me.  That was about 8 months ago, and my father still does not know.  My boyfriend and I go to the same college, and lived on campus so we always got to see each other, however now that it is summer and we are back home, the few times I want to see him I have to go behind my fathers back.  My mother is supportive of the relationship, however, I feel bad that she has to cover for me.  She insists that one day I need to tell my father, but im too scared.  It hurts that I keep such a significant and important part of my life from my father.  I am madly in love with my boyfriend, and see myself marrying him one day.  I want to be happy, but I am also scared of my father.  What should I do?

May 19, 2008, 6:44 pm CDT

Quote From: nina105

I have been in an interacial relationship for about two years.  I am only 20 years old so when I first started the relationship i was not too worried, because I wasn't sure if it would work it.  However, I fell in love with my boyfriend and we have been going strong ever since.  The only problem is my family, especially my father.  My father is of Cuban descent, but born in this country and he is racist towards African Americans.  My boyfriend is Hatian, and my father would never approve of the realtionship.  SInce my relationship was getting serious I decided that I should talk to my father about it.  However, before I got the chance to talk to him my father found a picture of me and my boyfriend, and in the picture we were kissing.  My father was furious and asked me if that was my boyfriend I admited that he was my boyfriend at one point, but lied and told him we broke up.  I feel bad for lying, but just seeing my fathers reaction scared me.  That was about 8 months ago, and my father still does not know.  My boyfriend and I go to the same college, and lived on campus so we always got to see each other, however now that it is summer and we are back home, the few times I want to see him I have to go behind my fathers back.  My mother is supportive of the relationship, however, I feel bad that she has to cover for me.  She insists that one day I need to tell my father, but im too scared.  It hurts that I keep such a significant and important part of my life from my father.  I am madly in love with my boyfriend, and see myself marrying him one day.  I want to be happy, but I am also scared of my father.  What should I do?
I think that you need to tell him.  I know that he will be upset at first but i am sure that he wants you to be happy and will realize that he does make you happy.  I would make sure that you want to be with him because you are really young and sometimes you don't know what you want until you are like 25 or so.  I am 34 and still looking for that special one. 

May 19, 2008, 7:34 pm CDT

Interracial Relationship

Quote From: tlan73

I am a 34 yr old white single mother of a 4 year old who is bi-racial.  My family has a problem with me dating outside my race.  My grandmother always asks me why can't you find a nice white guy.  I have dated white guys but do prefer to date interracially.  Also I feel that white men have a problem with my bi-racial daughter.  We come as a package and I need someone that will accept both of us.  I feel that dating in my 30's are very hard and so want to settle down but don't want to settle for someone I won't be happy with.  I wish my family would accept me dating outside my race because I want to be happy with the person that I am with.  I need to find that guy that treats me right. 

P.S. The guys that were on the show on the 14th were pretty hot.   I really thought Carlos was HOTTTT!!!!
Thanks so much for your advice.  I  realize that I really need to find the courage to tell my dad. 

I know that I am much younger than you and am not as experienced,  but I think the key is to find someone that makes you happy.  Whether they are black, white, asian, hispanic or what have you.  The man that knows how to treat you right, and accepts your daughter, is definitley worth you families acceptace, despite their race.  Although you prefer to date interacially you should try to be open to different kinds of men.   And most imporatntly find someone that make you happy.  Hope that helps =)

May 19, 2008, 8:07 pm CDT

Quote From: miizztriisha

I think its so sad how selfish people can be. Its not about you. Its about what makes your daughter happy. You're entitled to your beliefs, but how dare you deny your daughter for a choice that isn't hurting anyone? People can get so stuck on what society thinks and whats normal that they lose touch with what matters most. You are her MOTHER. You are her protector. You're the one that should have her back when your family turns their backs on her. You gave birth to that girl. This is just ridiculous to me. I can't hardly believe that people are ashamed that of something that is such a small part of a person. This is 2008!! Get with the program. We all bleed red and we are all equal in God's eyes.
When you say you don't think your daughter knows what she is getting into.  What exactly do you mean by that?  That is letting her know it is more important to worry about what other people think than worry about her happiness.  I know what it is like for a family not to be so accepting of interracial dating but they still love me and not matter what they will be there for me.  They wish I would date within my own race but I know that as long as I am happy they will be happy for me even though they don't agree with it.  I think that is how it should be when you raise a daughter or son you raise them to be their own person not to live for family and friends.  She needs to be happy with whoever it may be.  The color of ones skin does not make the person.  The person inside is what makes the person.  I hope that you and your family can come to accept her decisions as an adult and not make her feel alienated.  There is nothing more important than the support of your family.  That is what you look at to always be there for you and it is sad how we can just disown our family because of a decision that they family member made. 

First | Prev | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | Next | Last