Message Boards

Topic : Interracial Relationships

Number of Replies: 214
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 15, 2006, 03:46:10 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Society has become more accepting towards relationships with someone of a different race. Is your family united, or divided over your interracial relationship? Share your story here.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 15, 2006, 11:12 pm CDT

Interracial Relationships

This  topic was really nice to see-I JUST noticed this board-  

I  myself have no problem with interracial relationships-  I have had a couple of bad expereiences because other the OTHER person-  

Also-another topic that would be interesting is having a healthy relationship (and marrying) some one that is of a different philososhy or religion than yours-Boy- have I  had insults hurled at me like you wouldn't believe!!

Anyhoo-  Dr Phil had a few shows about this!!

Hello to all the new posters and welcome!     I will share my stories WAY later-lol

September 18, 2006, 4:26 pm CDT

Don't Agree

On the show I just watched, you had a white girl wanting to be with a black man that is in prison for killing her brother. She needs to stop and look at what she is doing. Men in prison are con artist and very good at telling you what you want to here. Yes I am talking from experience. My friend and I both married men that where in prison for various charges. They promise the world and protest they have found God. But just wait, they get out and within six months to a year they are back locked up. So the girl in the show needs to wise up and walk away. If nothing else for the respect she should show to her deceased brother. The guy in prison is a loser. Good people do not murder others. She stated she had children, where is her respect for them. Interracial relationships are ok for some, but when there are already children and then it being someone from prison. Then please tell her to run the other way.

September 20, 2006, 5:49 am CDT

The human Race

I'm in an interracial relationship and about to get married. My fiance is from Neder Saxony, Germany (hmm, dont know if thats spelled right) and I am a kiwi girl born and bred. Jörn is 100% Northern German and I am a wide mix of things, Scottish, Irish, Maori and I just got told a few months ago that one of my grandfathers was also British. I led a happy childhood, nobody picked on me about my race and they shouldnt either. Race doesnt define who you are, it just helps define a little of what you look like. Who you are is shaped from who your parents were. The only reason I wouldnt marry Jörn would be if he wasnt a nice person, nobody cares that he is German and I am a bit of everything. We are happy, our families can see that and nobody would ever want to take that away from us.
To anyone that doesnt like people because of their race, get a life. If you have to hate something, hate the person that hurt you not the race because if you do that then you might miss out on some wonderful opportunities.  I once watched a talk show about relationships and how black and white people shouldnt be together and a person made the comment "well you dont see cats and dogs together" I feel the appropriate answer to that would be "but cats or dogs dont care if their partner is black, white, gray or otherwise. You dont really see humans with animals, and that would be similar to a cat being with a dog." White, black or otherwise....if you are happy and nobody is doing anything unlawful then go out and do it. As long as your partner treats you right, ignore what people say about their race, because there should only be one race that we as people are defined as....
The Human Race.

September 20, 2006, 8:29 am CDT

Me

Im In a Interracial relationship and its wonderful.   I have a beautiful daughter who is just getting more and more beautiful each and every day.  My husband is from Kenya (which is in Africa).  He is the most wonderful husband anyone could ever ask for a wonderful dad as well.  The thing is when he talks to black americans they say he "acts  white".  How can someone act white???  I mean if speaking proper english and having manners is "acting white" then what is "acting black?"     Like he isnt black enough or something its not cool to make people feel like that.   He also doesnt like it when black americans say there african american because they really are not african at all he is.  They are americans.   I think when everyone in this country starts realizing that we are all americans not anything hypenated then it will be alittle better place to live.

September 20, 2006, 1:40 pm CDT

In the beginning, God created LOVE

...which is why I see absolutely nothing wrong with interracial or homosexual relationships. I honestly do not understand how so many people can be so ignorant and close-minded.

September 20, 2006, 2:51 pm CDT

I think it is OK

I am in a interracial relationship and i don't see anything wrong with it. My man is black and i am white. He is the best thing that has ever happen to me. He has the best manners ever and he treats me like a women should be treated. I love him with all my heart and i can't see my life with out him. My family hates it. But when you love someone i believe that you should follow your heart. SO WITH DATING OUT OF YOUR RACE JUST FOLLOW YOUR HEART. THE OUTSIDE IS JUST A COLOR!!!!!!

September 20, 2006, 4:17 pm CDT

Dating

Quote From: jbbrjwz

On the show I just watched, you had a white girl wanting to be with a black man that is in prison for killing her brother. She needs to stop and look at what she is doing. Men in prison are con artist and very good at telling you what you want to here. Yes I am talking from experience. My friend and I both married men that where in prison for various charges. They promise the world and protest they have found God. But just wait, they get out and within six months to a year they are back locked up. So the girl in the show needs to wise up and walk away. If nothing else for the respect she should show to her deceased brother. The guy in prison is a loser. Good people do not murder others. She stated she had children, where is her respect for them. Interracial relationships are ok for some, but when there are already children and then it being someone from prison. Then please tell her to run the other way.
I must say I somewhat agree with you, but also somewhat disagree.  I do believe this woman should be more than careful with this man because she does have children & that's very important.  The children's safety should definitely come first.  But as for her dating this man I'm not against it.  I do believe prisoners can change.  Just because you & your friend married men who said they changed & found God, but evidentally lied, doesn't mean that this man is lying.  It may not even be that the men you & your friend married lied about finding Christ.  People are human & do make mistakes.  Sometimes is takes a lot for people to change & if something even so small changes it can make them make mistakes again.  That doesn't make it right for people to make mistakes because they need other's help.  People should want to do good for themselves.  But I believe with all my heart anyone in prison can change with the help of Christ.  So as long as this woman is very careful & does it the right way I think it's more than alright.

September 20, 2006, 5:00 pm CDT

Interracial Relationships

Quote From: kelz4532

I am in a interracial relationship and i don't see anything wrong with it. My man is black and i am white. He is the best thing that has ever happen to me. He has the best manners ever and he treats me like a women should be treated. I love him with all my heart and i can't see my life with out him. My family hates it. But when you love someone i believe that you should follow your heart. SO WITH DATING OUT OF YOUR RACE JUST FOLLOW YOUR HEART. THE OUTSIDE IS JUST A COLOR!!!!!!

I am sorry your family hates your relationship with your love, but I happen to agree with all you wrote! I applaud you for not letting outside forces come between and your man!! Best of luck always!

September 20, 2006, 5:14 pm CDT

Way not me

It would seem that i have all of the good qaulity that most of women of today looking for, but some odd reson it in the wrong body and color. I do not date much, but I like to, and friendship with women to be as far it goes. I never ther type and to nice of guy be with. Women like tobe with men who treat them badly or lie to them. I had a women claim that there was no good looking, nice men around, it my face. That must tell me that I not good looking nor nice, or have a chance in hell with her. I have friend that i meet this summer, she very nice out going and fine a wine. We hanged out together just friends, she even let me know that she does not have ever date a black guy. But did not make it a issues. It just try be her friend, we hanged out had dinner every night and talked, and watch Sex in the City on T.V.. She was planing to go home to visted and asked me come along, I said yes. Will we want to home and she show me everything about family her friend. Will after that week grow closer to and what more than friendship. I do not what to make friends, I what more then that. How I,am going to that?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

September 20, 2006, 5:16 pm CDT

A Gentle Reality Check

Quote From: amberluvsyou22

Im In a Interracial relationship and its wonderful.   I have a beautiful daughter who is just getting more and more beautiful each and every day.  My husband is from Kenya (which is in Africa).  He is the most wonderful husband anyone could ever ask for a wonderful dad as well.  The thing is when he talks to black americans they say he "acts  white".  How can someone act white???  I mean if speaking proper english and having manners is "acting white" then what is "acting black?"     Like he isnt black enough or something its not cool to make people feel like that.   He also doesnt like it when black americans say there african american because they really are not african at all he is.  They are americans.   I think when everyone in this country starts realizing that we are all americans not anything hypenated then it will be alittle better place to live.

Your husband is from Kenya - where there is only black people and there has been no Civil Rights Movement - no Apartheid. To him Africa is a continent. Everywhere else on the globe where there is black people - ALL of African decent, they were taken there violently - for hundreds of years. Africans were taken to South American as slaves, to the Carribean as slaves to America as slaves. In every case after slavery - a subsociety and treated as such.

There are African Americans, Dominicans, Puerto Ricans, Haitians, etc. ALL of African decent but VERY different language, cultures and "blended" with various other races in each place over hundreds of years. Black in the US doesn't mean African - it means African American - black people in America.

Your husband has no insight into how African Americans should view themselves because he doesn't know African American (Black) culture. Your comment....

"I mean if speaking proper english and having manners is "acting white" then what is "acting black?" ...

Sounds racist.  YOU associate bad english and bad manners with black people.  The "black people" who said your husband doesn't act black are right - how can he and how would he when he is NOT from our Black culture? He's Kenyan! He should get over saying black people should just say they are American - it's offensive and dismissive, though I am sure neither of you intends that or understands that it is.

Also your comment..."I think when everyone in this country starts realizing that we are all americans not anything hypenated then it will be alittle better place to live."

- From a "Black " person's perspective is also a bit dismissive.  Why are you directing this at Black people?  If all "Americans" were TREATED the same - if African Americans WERE treated the same as Caucasians - there would be no NEED for the hyphens.

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last