Message Boards

Topic : Asperger's Syndrome

Number of Replies: 125
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Sunday, September 17, 2006, 11:59:34 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
If your child suffers from Asperger's syndrome, find support and share advice with other parents here.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

June 12, 2007, 4:47 am CDT

not sure if my daughter has Aspergers Syndrome

my daugher has a lot of medical problems....

first one: she has a abnormally large brain

Second one: She is blind in one eye and 6/18 in the other

third one: she has problems with her glucose levels, every couple of years it drops for no reason and she becomes hypogycemic (I think thats what it's called)

I have been argueing and pulling my hair out with my daughter since she was 3,

She has a terrible temper on her and always cheeky she is no 8 years old, her friends think she's weird for the way she acts, i think instead of writing paragraphs of what she does and don't do I will list them.

1. Bad tempered.

2. Can't dress properly, always putting clothes on back to front or picking really horribley stained clothing.

3. doesn't care about her appearance, on many occasions i have sent her back to the bathroom to wash her face before school and still she jumps in the car with black arms or hands and i have sat down on many occasions and talked to her about this but she doesn't care.

4. She thinks EVERYONE including strangers at the shops are interested in her current thing.. like once we brought her one of those tomigoshi's and i bumped into a woman at the shops, she lookeda the woman and said "I have a tomigoshi at home" she will go on for hours to us about it,

5. use to love reading medical books at the age of 4, which when she started school would repeat her self over and over to her friends about muscles etc.

6. has no empathy, my younger son was laying on the couch when he was 2 watching tv she just went up to him and bit him hard on the face and she was 7, when we told her off for it, she just didn't care, when he falls over and really hurts himself, rather than tell us, she just watches him, doesnt cuddle him or anything, just stands watching, sometimes she smiles at him, he fell off a bunk bed not long ago and i asked her what happened she ignored me, i shouted and she then said he fell off the bed but again just stood there and watched him. however when it suits her and she knows she will be praised for it she will be nice to him.

7. very bossy, she can't or won't take orders when it's play time from others, she has to be the one who is incharge.

8. doesn't show loving emotions, since 3 when giving me a kiss and cuddle goodnight, it would be litrally like cuddling a statue she stands stiff and her kisse's are just her mouth pucked up and nothing else, they are cold.

9. she has hygene problems, she won't wipe after going the toilet and won't wash her hands, I have told her how unhealthy it is and she doesn't care, I have also explain if she doesn't start taking some interest in herself and hygene she might loose her friends, her answer was "i like being on my own"

10. she did something very hurtful once and i sat her down and told her she had to consider other peoples feelings in this world and that hers are not the only ones that can get hurt, her response to me was "i wish i was the only person in this world"

11. Her imagination has ONLY just kicked in and only just started playing with like toddler toys, when she was a bubs she liked blocks and pretty much nothing else, when she was 2 she loved laying in her room looking at books and from 3 onwards she liked looking at normal kids books and medical books (i kept trying to hide them and she kept finding them) she became interested in countries in the world, but refused to play with dolls, or anything make believe. One day we took a walk to my mums, and since she loved dora i tried making it fun telling her that we had 2 round abouts to go past, 1 park and 1 set of shops, i said "lets play dora" she was happy, i noticed on her back pack she had a smiley face sticker so said "this can be backpack" and i didn't get any futher, she cried and got very annoyed and told me it was pretend and that was that, she didn't want to play anymore, she seemed to have a limit on the imagination, like once it past that threshold she became frustrated and angry.

12. She doesn't take things well like she wants to call her stepdad, "dad" since her real father hasn't been in the picture since she was 3 months old and we have told her its up to her... but she looks like she's going to cry and says that she thinks she will call him by his real name, we explain that that is ok too, then she tries making excuses like "i will call him dad when BLAH (son) is around" or "i will call him dad on the weekends and his real name on the week days"... the other example is, my brother hadn't finished his hot chips because they were oven cooked and she was saying 'are they going to waste" and "are you going to eat them mummy?" I turned around and said "why do you want them" she said "Oh, alright" but said it like she didn't really want them but i was making her... I said "you dont have to eat them if you don't want to" she then said "i will eat them because blah (her brother) is still eating and it will stop him from wanting to play with me without eating his own dnner" i felt really sorry for her because my brother looked at me and his look said to me "what is she going on about? " I just shook my head at him and explained how she was later.

her developement has been a mix, her reading for a 8 yr old is fantastic, she reads at a 10 year olds level, her maths is just a little behind that, at 3 she was counting to 50, at 4 she was counting to 150... she was writing mum, dad and nan at the age of 3 without copying from anywhere and knew her ABC's correctly at 4, she picked up laungages really well esp with counting to 10, in German, Spanish and French by the age of 4, Now she is learning Spanish again at school and she has good pronounciation, last year she did italian and was good at that too. the other great skill she has is her drawing, she LOVES sitting there with one of those boards that you write on with a magnet and then rub it out.. she spends hours on them, and she is a perfectionist with it. She could draw a excellent likeness of a powerpuff girl at the age of 5.

her down falls her no matter how long its been she can't dress her self correctly, shower herself correctly.. it took her along time to work out how to climb (5-6 years old) and alot more physical developement set backs.

I have only brushed the service of the problems there is with her, but does this sound a little like Aspergers?? any input would be great!

June 12, 2007, 1:31 pm CDT

Tired mom

I have three kids on is graduating that has not been easy on us.So stressful these days so mush to do just get that deploma from school.My middle child has PDD.He was just asked to go to half days at school do to his melt downs these last few weeks.I am know helping him do school work at home. It has not been easy.I have him set up for counceling.I have has losts of vists to the school over the lst few weeks.tring to get him to calm down and finsh this year .My youngest got into troulbe at school because someone at the hight school brought a gun to that school and us going to use it.My youngest was with some friends at lunch time and they were playing like they were fighting monsters.He didn't quite when he had to go back to class and was pretneding to hunt monster when he should have been doing calss work.Igot a call the they need to do a intervention they were concerned.I could belive it.I told him to not play games like that at school.cause it was upsetting the teachers and the principle.He said okay I won't but I don't understand the big deal it was only pretend.I told him to just not do it.He hasn't. I am so tiered iam sick I have not had a good nights rest in three months.I am so afraid I won't get my pdd son graduated from school.He won't be able to deal with life.I wish I could just lay down a sleep but I can't I have so many things to do and not enought time.

June 13, 2007, 9:52 am CDT

PDD son

Quote From: sweetanniekins

My son was diagnosed with PDD-NOS at the age of 5. He is 11 now. Your son sounds alot like mine. He was very obsessed with many things(staring at his reflection in mirrors and glass for hours,lining up his toy cars in order over and over again, we couldn't leave the house without him either wearing his batman costume, or carrying a dump truck). Sensory overload so bad, that he would literally lay down on the floor at the grocery store or Walmart. He can memorize the complete dialouge of a television program. He has been in special education since kindergarten, and is doing quite well. He still has a one to one aide at school, is in regular class rooms, but needs to take the special bus because of his inability to control himself on the bus.(Too much noise).

He was late in walking, late in speaking sentences, and wasn't toilet trained until he was 4. I was convinced that he had a hearing problem. He would not answer me or acknowledge me unless I put my face in front of his to get his attention. After a hearing test(which proved he could hear), his pediatrician said it was "selective hearing." My concerns about my son's delays were not taken seriously by his doctor. I was always told he would grow out of it. Being my only child, I had nothing to compare him to, so I just thought that everything was fine,and I must be an overly concerned parent.

He has the gross motor skills of a child half his age, but his fine motor skills are only 2 years behind his peers. He has always made alot of odd sounds(chirpping,squeaking,excessive throat clearing), but when he was 9 he started making odd movements too(placing his chin on his shoulder,throwing his arm out to one side extremely fast,and wanting to walk on his toes).When he was 10, he was diagnosed with Tourette's Syndrome too.

He is very awkward in social situations. He still receives speech therapy 3x a week. Communiction is still a big hurdle for him. He says inappropriate things, and often talks about things that are not the topic of his conversations. He is very rude, but he doesn't know it. He will make eye contact now, but he will not wear any shirts that have collars or buttons.

My son is a delightful child. He has come along way since we first heard about the Autistic Spectrum. The few behaviors that you said your son exhibits,sounds an awful lot like autism to me.What you said about his coordination is a big red flag. I hope your son will be able to get the diagnosis soon. I wish my son was daignosed when he first started showing the signs(about 2 1/2). Talk to everybody that works with your son, especially his school. Has he been evaluated by the school district?

My son was first diagnoised with adhd.It took until he was in the 3rd grade.the school wanted us to put him on meds we did thinking he was adhd.He was over dosed and it took us two years to get him off them after we got the reall diagnosis.The school still push us to put him on meds even after that.They fianlly stopped when we got mad. The durgs changed him did something to his health but did not do a thing for him only mad it easy for the teachers because he was a zombie.He is sixteen and hates school.I send him for three classes and them he comes home todo class work for the three others.This seems to help some what.It has not been easy to raise him.Ther have been many days I wish i could just stay inbed.But I don't.If only he had been diagnoised early and right we could have gotten so much more help for him.Righ now he is obsessed with drawing and the games and stories he keeps writting in his head.I am not sure how to help him out with this.Iam not a rich person so I can't afford to put him into calls that will open up this world for him.Alot of doctors have no idea what they are looking at.It is often missed diagnoised as adhd or add.I was also told he would grow out of it.he has not .My son has the mantality of a 10 year old and has a hard time with the socializing of the kids his own age they really confuse him.He has been the target of many bullies at the school.When girls tell himthey think he is cutie he runs from them.My son hada hard time with speech but know you can't shut him up.I love my son very much but he is a very tiering child most of the time.girls confuse him with there stupid games.

June 16, 2007, 4:45 am CDT

9 year old boy

I am very concerned for my Grandson who has mild Autism..He goes to public school. His speech still needs improvement, but over all he has made great strides forward.
Lately, he has begun soiling his pants or fully urinating during the day, even at school. He is going for therapy and put on a reward system.
Has any body out there been faced with this problem, and was it physical rather then emotional?
A concerned Grandmother

June 22, 2007, 2:56 am CDT

Don't know what to do

My son has just been given a working diagnosis of AS. While looking at the criteria the psychologist gave me, I realized that my daughter probably has the same disorder. She is diagnosed as bipolar, depressed, and ODD but I wonder what to do. This has come about because my son is being evaluated for a phobia of bugs and I am very confused because all of the information I have so far and the messages I have seen on the board describes my daughter perfectly. The tantrums, above average intelligence, inability to apply what she has learned, inability to explain her feelings, uncoordinated, and just about any other symptom I have heard is about her. My son does not exhibit all of the symptoms, at this time, so we are looking at other diagnoses also. I work in a doctor's office and see children with autism often. I do see some similarities between my son and those children. I am frustrated that no one would listen to me about my daughter and that something more was wrong. They told me that she was just a bad child and I needed to discipline her more and that I wasn't following through with what I was supposed to do even though I felt that I was doing the best I could for her.

In seeing the AS information and reading other people's stories. I feel that I have an answer to my questions but don't know what to do now.  I am scared that my son will go through the same things my daughter has and it is hard to feel like we are living on egg shells. My husband is a wonderful man and has been very caring and loving to my daughter even though she isn't his natural child. I don't think many men could go through what he has with her and still be with me.

Where do I go and what do I do now? We are an average family with insurance. It doesn't cover everything, and with all the other illnesses that my family has, I know the bills are going to start mounting up. What do we do?

June 26, 2007, 11:16 pm CDT

Mild Autism

Quote From: marzydotes

I am very concerned for my Grandson who has mild Autism..He goes to public school. His speech still needs improvement, but over all he has made great strides forward.
Lately, he has begun soiling his pants or fully urinating during the day, even at school. He is going for therapy and put on a reward system.
Has any body out there been faced with this problem, and was it physical rather then emotional?
A concerned Grandmother

Hi Marzydotes,

I am a teacher's aide and I work with primary handicapped children. You said in your post that your grandson begun soiling or urinating his pants. Have you or his teacher's at school tried taking him to the bathroom alittle more often?

I think that is great that the school is using a reward system. I have student that I work with who used to have soiling and urinating problems in his pants. We finally figured out that we had to take him to the bathroom five times duren the middle of the school day to keep his pants dry.I use alot of positive reinforcements with him. If his pants are dry I would tell him good job on keeping his paint's dry and give him a treat or a hi five. 

July 1, 2007, 7:43 pm CDT

Asperger's Syndrome

Quote From: usa_2425

Hi Marzydotes,

I am a teacher's aide and I work with primary handicapped children. You said in your post that your grandson begun soiling or urinating his pants. Have you or his teacher's at school tried taking him to the bathroom alittle more often?

I think that is great that the school is using a reward system. I have student that I work with who used to have soiling and urinating problems in his pants. We finally figured out that we had to take him to the bathroom five times duren the middle of the school day to keep his pants dry.I use alot of positive reinforcements with him. If his pants are dry I would tell him good job on keeping his paint's dry and give him a treat or a hi five. 

Hi Marzydotes,

I am a special education teacher. What age is your grandson? How long has he been going to this school? Did anything in his life change around the time this started?

Traci

July 12, 2007, 4:22 am CDT

hi

Quote From: momo5406

My son has just been given a working diagnosis of AS. While looking at the criteria the psychologist gave me, I realized that my daughter probably has the same disorder. She is diagnosed as bipolar, depressed, and ODD but I wonder what to do. This has come about because my son is being evaluated for a phobia of bugs and I am very confused because all of the information I have so far and the messages I have seen on the board describes my daughter perfectly. The tantrums, above average intelligence, inability to apply what she has learned, inability to explain her feelings, uncoordinated, and just about any other symptom I have heard is about her. My son does not exhibit all of the symptoms, at this time, so we are looking at other diagnoses also. I work in a doctor's office and see children with autism often. I do see some similarities between my son and those children. I am frustrated that no one would listen to me about my daughter and that something more was wrong. They told me that she was just a bad child and I needed to discipline her more and that I wasn't following through with what I was supposed to do even though I felt that I was doing the best I could for her.

In seeing the AS information and reading other people's stories. I feel that I have an answer to my questions but don't know what to do now.  I am scared that my son will go through the same things my daughter has and it is hard to feel like we are living on egg shells. My husband is a wonderful man and has been very caring and loving to my daughter even though she isn't his natural child. I don't think many men could go through what he has with her and still be with me.

Where do I go and what do I do now? We are an average family with insurance. It doesn't cover everything, and with all the other illnesses that my family has, I know the bills are going to start mounting up. What do we do?

Just read your story, my son has AS too,  until he was 5 we thought he had ADD, but later when we changed doctors I was told AS. He went to a mainstream school until he was 7 and later was transferred to a school for kids with behaviourial issues, a year l later he went to a mainstream school 1 day a week and than increase to 2 days a week. Next term he will be going 3 days a week to mainstream school, than eventually full time at a mainstream school.

It does get hard, some days are good and some days are bad, especially when we go shopping and he thinks people are staring at him. He has meltdowns which are hard sometimes.

But we all get there

Debbie (australia)

August 4, 2007, 8:19 pm CDT

What to do!!

Quote From: specialmum

Just read your story, my son has AS too,  until he was 5 we thought he had ADD, but later when we changed doctors I was told AS. He went to a mainstream school until he was 7 and later was transferred to a school for kids with behaviourial issues, a year l later he went to a mainstream school 1 day a week and than increase to 2 days a week. Next term he will be going 3 days a week to mainstream school, than eventually full time at a mainstream school.

It does get hard, some days are good and some days are bad, especially when we go shopping and he thinks people are staring at him. He has meltdowns which are hard sometimes.

But we all get there

Debbie (australia)

Yeah, my son often thinks that even the pictures of people on ads or pictures on our walls are looking at him. He hasn't had a meltdown in the store yet but things seem to be getting worse. It now is that even the sound of the bath water bothers him. Now, he has started back to school and there aren't any children in his class that he knows and no one played with him on the first day of school. How do you deal with that? I have a meeting with his teacher this week. She is a wonderful teacher from what I hear but it doesn't seem fair that none of his friends from other years are with him. It makes him uncomfortable. I don't understand the babbling that he does at times but I guess it is part of the AS. He seems to be speaking another language that he has made up.

August 29, 2007, 3:18 pm CDT

so worried about this year

I have a sonwith pdd autisum.I have been fighting the school since he  was in k.He starts hight school this year.I am so worried about this year and hopping it will be as bad as the last few.Last year I did have a good teacher but when i came to getting him the help he needed in genreal ed classes it was horrible.Itf it weren't for her staing after class and going over what he needed to have done for those classes so I could help him with his work I don't think he would have made it.he is not going to have her this year.I requested a teacher for this year that  was of real help to my daughter though her years of high school.But alot of the times my requests have fallen on deaf ears.for him I need him to have a para pro to get him through the genral ed classes.they know he needs one but have never gotten him one.I spend alot of time with gereal ed teachers tring to get them to understand him and help him most of the time I end up going back to school to help him with his homework I don't think I can do that though high school.I am scared for him.my bighest fear is that with all these kids have to do to get a deploma he will not. I don't have the answers to help him.

Fear fear is what I am having and I know this rubs off onto my son he is not liking the fact that school starts sept 5.I hate the fact that it starting agian.

First | Prev | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Next | Last