Message Boards

Topic : Asperger's Syndrome

Number of Replies: 125
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Sunday, September 17, 2006, 11:59:34 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
If your child suffers from Asperger's syndrome, find support and share advice with other parents here.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 28, 2007, 11:44 am CST

Asperger Syndrome

OCD, Anixety, and depression are or could be signs of Asperger's Disorder but that doesn't mean that it is Asperger's Disorder. People with Asperger's Disorder have problems understanding things, interacting with other people, and do or say things that others would consider to be rude. People with Asperger's Disorder have a normal or a high IQ but may have trouble doing things that other people would consider to be simple or common sense. I was just told last week that I have Asperger's Disorder by a Neuropsychologist and he said that, that was the reason I can't find a job and if I do that I can't keep the job, or dirve, or swim.  And I am 25 years old. Most people would consider me to be dumb by not knowing how to do these things but I have a hard time understanding things like those.

February 28, 2007, 9:25 pm CST

Asperger's Syndrom

Quote From: la1219

OCD, Anixety, and depression are or could be signs of Asperger's Disorder but that doesn't mean that it is Asperger's Disorder. People with Asperger's Disorder have problems understanding things, interacting with other people, and do or say things that others would consider to be rude. People with Asperger's Disorder have a normal or a high IQ but may have trouble doing things that other people would consider to be simple or common sense. I was just told last week that I have Asperger's Disorder by a Neuropsychologist and he said that, that was the reason I can't find a job and if I do that I can't keep the job, or dirve, or swim.  And I am 25 years old. Most people would consider me to be dumb by not knowing how to do these things but I have a hard time understanding things like those.
First off..........how did you get your son diagnosed?  I have a 10 year old son whom I feel has Asperger's Syndrome but I have been told by his school teachers and counselors tht he does not have this.  I feel in my heart that he has this disorder and feel like I am caught betwen a rock and a hard place when it comes to helping him.  He is being treated for adhd, which helps to a point but there is something missing.  How do I get him tested?

March 19, 2007, 8:40 pm CDT

hapyday

i m not sure what to say or think in regards to asperger. i have a 2 yr old who knows more songs then i am aware of who seems to pick up what ever we  have time to teach her in regards to letters and numbers she sings her alphabit persise and clear likes to count backwaurds it would seem. gets very spiteful when interupted. she has older siblings so she seems to play the games they play with her with her daycare peers. sometimes i find bite marks on her and never here of any insadents at day care.  many sensory issues i would say and always been a explosive cluts. where my 14 month seems to have little balance as she embarks on what is her walking style. she is curious about people and use to have her feeet and hands in fists alot. i made effort to correct this so she would attempt walkin she hates light and loud noises sends shattering fear through her noise espesially. she just screams and searches for me to hold her. i don t know what to think i know it is more rare for girls to have this but they seem different. i just love them and want to offer them the support now as there brain grows so it can compinsate or even reruite pathways i heard young brains do this . i just don t know what i should be offering them to help them have this oppertunity. any sugestions.

March 30, 2007, 11:32 am CDT

getting diagnosed

I am sure that my 8 year old son has aspergers.  How do I go about getting a doctor's diagnosis for the school. His school said to get a doctors diagnosis and report on how to address my son's needs, but I am not sure where to start, whether with our medical doctor or a psychologist. Any suggestions?  My son is getting a very negative attitude due to getting in trouble so much at school.  Many of the teachers are at a loss how to handle him.  He is always a little over the top in his actions around classmates.  I need to get him diagnosed professionally so he can get the help that he needs, instead of being sent to the office for not keeping his hands to himself or being too loud when he talks.

April 6, 2007, 8:29 am CDT

Asperger's-Depression

I went back to my doctor and got the results of my tests and he should basically without a shadow of doubt that I have Asperger's Syndrome. He was not pleased though about the mental health place that I was going to before seeing him told me that I had OCD, Depression and Anixety and they gave me pills to deal with OCD, Depression, and Anixety and put me on meds to help me sleep at night. It turns out that alot of places and doctors have been diagnoising people with depression and giving them meds for it but it turns out that people are suppose to be depressed. Like if you lost your job you're suppose to be depressed. The mental health place that I was going to would not hear of even giving me a name of someone that would test me to see if I did have something mentally wrong with me and they can't saying basically that since I had no job and no insurance that nobody would take me on as a patient. I had been going to that mental health place for a little over 2yrs and all the therapist there asked me was "how are you today", "did you find a job" and "what have you been doing since we last met"? The whole time my problem was getting a certain type of training so that I can work and feel comfortable in my surroundings and deal with social situtations. I am scheduled to meet with someone that is going to help train me and find a job and things like that in two weeks(the meeting not the job). It really makes me mad because I could have been diagnoised with Asperger's 2 yrs ago and probably be working a full time job now instead if just meeting the person who is in charge of setting up jobs for people like me. 

April 12, 2007, 7:56 am CDT

Aspergers Syndrome

Quote From: scartlidge

First off..........how did you get your son diagnosed?  I have a 10 year old son whom I feel has Asperger's Syndrome but I have been told by his school teachers and counselors tht he does not have this.  I feel in my heart that he has this disorder and feel like I am caught betwen a rock and a hard place when it comes to helping him.  He is being treated for adhd, which helps to a point but there is something missing.  How do I get him tested?

Only a doctor should diagnose Autism of any kind. Not a teacher or school councelor. You should seek help from your childs pediatrician. Hth cristi

April 12, 2007, 7:59 am CDT

Call your ped

Quote From: rockingy

I am sure that my 8 year old son has aspergers.  How do I go about getting a doctor's diagnosis for the school. His school said to get a doctors diagnosis and report on how to address my son's needs, but I am not sure where to start, whether with our medical doctor or a psychologist. Any suggestions?  My son is getting a very negative attitude due to getting in trouble so much at school.  Many of the teachers are at a loss how to handle him.  He is always a little over the top in his actions around classmates.  I need to get him diagnosed professionally so he can get the help that he needs, instead of being sent to the office for not keeping his hands to himself or being too loud when he talks.
I would call your ped and ask ask him or hre for advice. My ds 10 has aspergers syndrome and was diagnaose years ago.  I am currenly homeschooling him. Main stream class was no longer an option. hth cristi

May 9, 2007, 7:45 pm CDT

You Sound a lot like me

Quote From: la1219

I was diagnosesd with bipolar 2 and and agoraphobia.  I now have graduated to social phobia.  I am what people call, "book smart", but as far as common sense and social skills, well, I just didn't learn them.  I usually don't laugh at jokes even if they are funny.  It took a long time to realize when people were joking or not.  I am all business.  I am creative and I can play 8 instruments and I sing.  I love to read but I could not find my way out of a wet paper bag!  LOL!

May 12, 2007, 5:47 pm CDT

adult with asperger's syndrome

Quote From: futureteacher

I am a special education major  in my junior year and plan to work  with autistic kids from all over the spectrum. I also have an older brother with very low-functioning autism, so, needless to say, I know a great deal about this disorder.

I know a young man with Asperger's Syndrome and when I first met him, I could tell right away that there was something going on. When I found out it was AS, it was like all the pieces came together. I met this young man in the community theatre of my town and I would just like to say that participating in it has certainly improved his social skills with each show he is in. When I first met him, he seemed easily frustrated, trapped others in conversation, and did not know when it was time to let others have a say. Now, he is a freshman at the same university I go to and the last time we ran into each other, we only spoke for 5 minutes and he ended the conversation all on his own! I was so proud of him and each time I see his mom I let her know.

So do not lose hope of your child finding friends and social activities he or she can enjoy and participate in. It seems that theatre is an amazing outlet for this kid, so maybe it will work for your child. Good luck everyone!!

I am a 28 year old male with Asperger's Syndrome.  I was diagnosed when I was about 20 years old.  Throughout my life I have been pushed around, bullied and made fun of.  People have gotten afraid of me and keep away from me.  I feel like a social outcast. 

I participated in theatre in 2005 and 2006.  Due to my new work schedule it is hard to find time.  I would like to have a friend who knows about this disorder or has it. 

My family has been very helpful and supportive.  Im starting to go new places and meet new people, although i find it hard sometimes to connect.  I feel that most Churches good places to find a support system.  God bless.

May 16, 2007, 1:25 am CDT

Music As Therapy

Quote From: sunshine80

I was diagnosesd with bipolar 2 and and agoraphobia.  I now have graduated to social phobia.  I am what people call, "book smart", but as far as common sense and social skills, well, I just didn't learn them.  I usually don't laugh at jokes even if they are funny.  It took a long time to realize when people were joking or not.  I am all business.  I am creative and I can play 8 instruments and I sing.  I love to read but I could not find my way out of a wet paper bag!  LOL!

The ability to play 8 musical instruments is quite a feat.I play 2 but don't sing very well at all.

I am being treated for chronic pain,anxiety and depression.Music has been very good to me both theraputically and socialy.I go to jam sessions around the area where I live and play in a band.I've made lots of freinds through my music.May I suggest you seek out open jams or open mic events at some local clubs,even a music society related to the type of music you like to play.Let your music do the talking for you.If you are particulary good at one instrument take that one out and jam with others.You don't need to speak,just listen and play.

First | Prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Next | Last