Message Boards

Topic : Asperger's Syndrome

Number of Replies: 125
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Sunday, September 17, 2006, 11:59:34 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
If your child suffers from Asperger's syndrome, find support and share advice with other parents here.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 29, 2008, 7:11 pm CST

My soan hates school

My son really hates this school.He hate most of the kids and has one friend.He is so behind with his credits it is not funny.We have him on a IEP but he is stuck in classes with the kids who have anger problems.My son has PDD.He has learned the worst of the worst things at school like how to lie cuss and be deceptive.He has turned into a angry child.None of these things I have ever taught him.My other two kids are turning out fine.but my son worries me and breaks my heart.I am not sure how to help him out.The bulling and struggles to fit in have mad him a depressed and angry child.the struggles with this school have made me very frustrated and angry also.the school has and always does blame my son.So he has become what they have blamed him for.How do I do right by my son and help him become as much as he can be???I can't fight anymore I just want what is  best for My son?? I  live in Washington state.Every time I try find a way to educate him a different way the school district denies me the alternative .How do I help my son????

January 30, 2009, 12:01 pm CST

Celebrity kids

I guess in the big scheme of things, this doesn't affect me personally or anyone I know, so maybe it doesn't amount to a hill of beans, but it just bothers the heck out of me!  Stars like Celine Dion, Kate Hudson, Sarah Jessica Parker and Shania Twain let their young BOYS hair grow and not cut it and it makes them look like little girls! So may of these stars say "I / WE are trying to raise our kid(s) to have as normal a life as possible."  Then they not only give them idiotic names, but they subject the child to comments about "what a cute little girl" they are.  NO. . . .that won't mess the kid up at all!  HA!  I see gender identity issues in some of these kids futures. Cut these little boys hair, for Pete's sake!  What are you thinking?

February 13, 2009, 1:21 pm CST

Until a couple of year's ago I'd never heard of Asperger's

I was watching a documentary on TVOntario about it, and felt I was hearing the story of our youngest son. It was amazing. Like the father on the show, we had been sent to have our son tested many times. Like him, we were told by the school he needed Ritalin, and like him, we gave it a try. We had the same results. Our son became zombie like and we stopped after a week or two. When he was two we were told he was borderline retarded, which I knew wasn't the case. Later, we were told he had autistic tendencies but wasn't autistic. His life wasn't easy. I think his worst year in school was with a teacher who tried so hard to make him fit in. Instead, he developed very odd behaviours, like hiding in his locker. The next year, with a better teacher, the most severe behaviours disappeared. During that difficult year, we also got called into the principal's office to be told he was being bullied and he needed to change so that he wouldn't be so easy to bully. I've often wondered if the parents of the bullies got called in and told their children needed to be more accepting of people who are different. Getting back on track, he was in his late twenties before we knew he had Asperger's. After seeing that show, I talked to him about it. We both did some research online, and he went to the doctor and got a referral to a psychiatrist. Since then, he tried to get help in Toronto but there's a long waiting list and the cut-off age is 30, so that's not likely to happen. He has never worked, but he wants to. He's working on his social skills. He is very intelligent. I have a lot of hope for him.

March 2, 2009, 11:56 am CST

Does this child really have aspergers??

I have been watching a child who supposedly has Asperger's.  His mother told me before I watched him that he has fits and he does have some strong characteristics,  like he smells things before he will eat anything but he is really well mannered at my home until his mother comes to pick him up.  He turns into a completely different child.  He starts hitting my children,  screaming, calling everyone names etc,  I can't understand how a child can turn from one way to another that quick,  BUT does he have Asperger's or is he not being properly disciplined, or seeking attention from his mother.  Can a child with Asperger's change from one child to another??  or is that just the easy way to deal with a child that misbehaves when his mother is around??

July 15, 2009, 8:56 am CDT

help discipline

Are 9yr old son had been diagnose with Aspergers few months ago.   Dylan had been treated the last few years for ADHD and Medication.   We have taken him off the medication and have been working with him.  My husband and I have been hitting head regarding discipline issues.   My husband let him run out of control!!!   My son has been very rude,aggressive,lies,tantrums.  Example I will tell him do not go outside and he responds to why, I explain to him that we are eating and we will go out later,he responds to tantrum and then goes out side.   I use time outs,take away privileges and My husband feels im being very mean and hateful.   I dont scream at my children or spank!    I dont know what to do ..........my son is out of control

Kim

First | Prev | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | Next Page | Last Page