Message Boards

Topic : Physically Challenged Adults Support

Number of Replies: 86
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Sunday, September 17, 2006, 12:10:41 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Share advice and support with other adults with a physical disability or special needs.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 9, 2006, 6:41 pm CDT

new name?

Quote From: bettybooppink

Cheri,

I too am disabled. I have MS and am in a wheelchair. I worked for many years with the elderly and with Hospice ( the terminally ill). I still feel like I could be a productive part of the work force but cannot get anyone to look past the wheelchair or work with me on the hours I put in as the fatique is awful. I am depressed most of the time but that is part of the disease so I don't need more obstacles to depress me more. But for the most part I try to make the best of my position in life and find ways to stay up beat all though it can be a challenge most days. I understand what you mean about people being unkind and uncaring and sometimes that includes your own family. But I try to stay close to my God and do the best I can do. Feel free to email me anytinme to chat. I would love to have a new friend. Sharon

Maybe we should be called the different-abled since it can varry so much from person to person, as well as day to day for some of us.

October 10, 2006, 10:49 am CDT

Physically Challenged Adults Support

Dove 

My name is Amanda. I am new to this message board. I just wanted to tell my story and maybe get some sport from people who I don't even know. Twenty one years ago I got very sick from viral encephalitis. I was only three years old. From the illness I had 10% bran damage, My mom told me I was in a coma for days.

During the years I haven't been able to speak, and I got this drooling problem. That I am not able to control. There's are days that I wished I died during the coma. My family just don't get it. They don't have to live with this. But I have to everyday of my life!

I can handle the part of not being able to talk. But the drooling it ruining my life. I don't even like looking at myself anymore in the mirror. With this drooling problem I have to wear bibs. All I want in life is just be normal like everybody else. So people will stop looking at me and calling me names behind my back.

Inside I think allot about the further and it worries me. I would love to one day get married and start a family of my own. I am not getting any younger ha ha. But how with this handicap problem that I got? I haven't had a guy in years. If u want know the truth I haven't had one scent I was in 5th grade, and now I am almost twenty five years old.

It is even hared for me to get a job. No body will hire me. I tried getting jobs before. But no body calls me back or hires me after they see me. I would love to work for once at a real job. My dreams is to one day work with deaf children. I know sign language. I been signing from the time I was four years old. Thats my dream to work with deaf kids. But getting a job is another story!

I only get $690 a month from ssi and that isn't enough to live on. Thats for sure! Living here in NY the apartments are so high. There's no way u be able live on your own with that kind of income. So I have to live with people.

There are days when I get so mad at the Doctors. They are able to do everything to heal people. But they cant stop this drooling problem. What's up with that?

I thought about emailing Dr Phil and see if he be able to find me some help. To get this drooling problem on control. But I don't know what to say!

I am not trying to feel sorry for myself. I just wish my life was better thats all. Beside my disability I do love my life. I got nieces and nephews who I love very much. As if they were my own! One of my little nieces she's only five and she already knows how to sign. I been teaching her scent she was only three years old. She's my little angel! She's the love of my life! They are my life. Beside my family ha ha.

It just I am sick of people calling me names and thinking that I am reared. But I am not. It just I can't TALK! So that what my handicap problem is. I know none of u got anything like me. But still I would like to hear from u guys thanks bye for now.

Dove 

October 21, 2006, 11:59 pm CDT

To Sue

Quote From: sueramsey

Greetings.

I worked for over 20 years as a nurse for mentally challenged children and adults.  During this time, it took me over 22 years to obtain a degree in Psychology/Sociology.  I had dreams of going into Christian Counseling until I contracted Guillian Barre last year.  The doctors denial of my denial of being ill almost cost me my life.  lost all ability to walk, talk, feed myself, and perform all daily personal care, and spent 6 months in two rehabilitation hospitals.

I truly took the ability to function without assistance for granted until I found myself in a wheelchair.  One thing I did  notice was pay telephones are not equipped for handicapped people.  If I could not place the money in the slot in time my call was disconnected and I had to try to dial all over again.  Also, I tried to maneuver the wheelchair into elevators, only to have the door continued closing on me.  The one thing I did notice was that a majority of people are kind and are willing to help.  But, there is also an equal or greater amount of people who stare and make very rude statements about my disability.  I may not look sick on the outside, but live within me with all the pain and discomfort that I endure each day, and perhaps you too will see how hard it is to leave home.  I know that children are inquisitive and will often stare, but when they are accompanied with an adult, they are not corrected when their remarks equal the same prejudicial remarks.

I once had a 6year old child comment that all wheelchair people should not be allowed in the stores because it slows regular people from shopping.  I was deeply hurt, but increasingly mad at the parents who just chucked and walked away.

My one main complaint is that even though I am disabled now, there are few employers who will take the chance and hire you.  Of course the Office of Vocation Rehabilitation is available, but when the unemployment rate in your living area is high, an abled person will be considered over the disabled. 

Do you have any suggestions how I can become a viable person to society while I am still speed riding my wheelchair?

Sue

Wow. I would be hurt too. I usually only have problems with kids. Never the parents. I do have problems with adults sometimes but not often. So far and I do say so far, I've been lucky based on some of the things I've read. Like I tell other people, not everyone is that way.

Alisha

October 25, 2006, 6:38 am CDT

From Amanda

Quote From: alisha82

Wow. I would be hurt too. I usually only have problems with kids. Never the parents. I do have problems with adults sometimes but not often. So far and I do say so far, I've been lucky based on some of the things I've read. Like I tell other people, not everyone is that way.

Alisha

I also  know how it feels. Having people look at u and making fun of u. My own sister doesn't like me going into her job. She works at a dinner place. I understand why. Because of my drooling problem. But still it hurts. I sometimes feel like I am not apart of the family. Like a out case of the family. They don't know but that how I feel inside. So just wanted let u know your not alone too.

October 25, 2006, 6:48 am CDT

encephalitis

Hi everybody I just  wanted to ask.  If  I email Dr Phil do u think he will  be able to  find me some help. To get my drooling problem stop? Like find me a Dr who know what he doing! Let me know thanks bye.

October 25, 2006, 12:02 pm CDT

Hi Amanda

Quote From: encephalitis

Hi everybody I just  wanted to ask.  If  I email Dr Phil do u think he will  be able to  find me some help. To get my drooling problem stop? Like find me a Dr who know what he doing! Let me know thanks bye.

I read your story yesterday.

I have cerebral Palsy myself.

I know that's not what you have. I do know many people who Drool. It can't hurt. Dr. Phil is very compationate man. The worst he would tell you is no, I don't know anyone who could help you.

Write to him and see what he says.

Your friend,

Lostinspace (an old T.V Show)

GOOD LUCK

October 26, 2006, 9:55 am CDT

I just started reading the boards this week

Quote From: marsgramna

It doesn't look like too many people look at this message board, but I am going to comment anyway. I hate the phrase "physically challenged"!!! The media thinks this is politically correct. It is not. I am a person who has a disability, not a handicap or a challenge. Any time other words are used to describe people with disabilities, it undermines our visibility and our right to participate in society just like everyone else. Society has sugar coated and watered down words that describe something it doesn't want to look at or acknowledge. People with disabilities have been shoved aside, hidden away, discredited, ignored and discriminated against for centuries. Probably from the beginning of time. Just because I use a wheelchair and have to do things a little differently doesn't mean I am not able to do anything. It doesn't mean I don't have feelings or that I don't spend money in the market place. Society has looked at people with disabilities as an inconvenience to be tolerated. Even with the Americans with Disabilities Act, I have to find out ahead of time if a building is wheelchair accessible before going there. And even when they say they are accessible, I may be able to get in the door because of hastily constructed ramp, but I am unable to go any futher. Accessible parking is a joke anymore. Everyone and their brother as a permit to park in those places even if they are perfectly able to walk. This message is more of a complaint than a support for anyone, and I appologize for that. I have had multiplesclerosis for 34 years and have learned to deal with it one day at a time. However, there are days when I am so frustrated because of the cost of medications that I need to take and can't afford to buy. The government doesn't make it any easier. And try to meet new people and make new friends sitting a wheelchair. Don't even ask if I have had a date in the last 10 years! I am very frustrated tonight and feeling very alone and depressed. My disability makes it evern more difficult to get a decent job that I spent 10 years in college to be able to earn enough money to pay my medical expenses. Sorry I am not very cheerful.

Hi

I want to tell you that, you are not alone. I am a 46 year old woman. I have C. P. I'm not sure if "we" will see the day in our lifetime as first class people. Although it would sure make life easier for everyone.

Feel free to write, if you would like to.

October 30, 2006, 3:19 pm CST

ANNOUNCEMEN, NEW MESSAGE BOARD

Author : djmatt

A WAY FOR THE DISABLED, AND DISADVANTAGED.

This Message Board is a tool dedicated to assist those who have been disadvantaged because of illnesses, misfortunes and tragedies in their lives.

The Missions of this Board, set to a campaign status is as follows:

• To share opinions, thoughts, and ideas to help those who are DISABLED.

• To enlighten the corporate world of the ABILITES of those considered DISABLED.

• To help people find a way to utilize their skills and talents in non-conventional work duties or applications in order to empower them to make a decent living.

• To help those who are disadvantaged to find resources to assist in their immediate needs.
  • to promote their ABILITES and to allow opportunities for a normal life-style.
  • To improve our economy by employing, or empowering the disabled, who are capable enough to apply their skills and talents, by allowing them to earn a living, and not depend on the social services of society.
  • To demonstrate to society the benefits of this empowerment.

• To assist those with special needs by offering contacts and resources to allow them to move ahead.

• To assist the mentally challenged, or intellectually challenged, and physically challenged and bring a new hope of prosperity and successes to their lives.

• To raise AWARENESS across the nation that we, the disabled, who have the desire to improve our lives, do not want to be set aside as a misfit of society.
    By djmatt.  Creator of the message board "A Child's Voice Connection, Prevent Child Abuse and Abductions"

Some of you know me as djmatt or Nova.  I have been struggling with disabilities for a number of years, yet maintained a job until it was convenient for my employer, a multi-billion dollar corporation to cut the ties and hire someone with almost no experience in my place, verses my 17 years of experience in this business, and almost 20 years in management.

I have been posting on the Depression Message Board for some time, and then created the A Child's Voice Connection message board based on my convictions to fight child abuse.

This has all become complicate because I am in a dire financial situation at the moment because I have not been able to obtain employment for months because of my disabilities.  Although I worked in one type of business for years, I was at least comfortable to the point that I had the knowledge and ability to do this job, with much difficulty, but very successfully.

I know there are governmental resources available, and ways to make it through these situations, but as of right now we are hanging by a thread.  And I thought it would be a good idea to share my views, and hopefully others will share their views as well.

I will get into the specifics of where I have been, and try to find out if others have any ideas on where to go from here.  With failure to start my own business, I am scraping the bottom of the barrel. 

The real issue is that I have Been dealing with severe depression, and because of my illnesses, I cannot get my thoughts together to the point of getting my life back on track.  Depression is a major cause of concentration problems, along with motivation, energy, decision making, etc.

There is a way, and I intend to find a way before we lose everything.

I hope there are those who have some views and ideas that might be useful. 

More than this, I hope that through this, I can once again focus on my Child Abuse campaign, as well as help others with disabilities to find a way.

God bless

I didn't realize this message board existed.

djmatt

October 30, 2006, 3:28 pm CST

Hi everyone,

I am djmatt, and I am physically and mentally challanged.  If depression is metally challenged.  I on a tight line of disability and being able to work under certain circumstances.  I have been fired from two jobs, not for lack of performance, because of disabilities.

The EEOC did take my most recent case, but they are letting time run out.  I get so frustrated.  I have a wood shop that I have been trying to get going, but lack just a few things, and it's frustrating.  A little money, a few repairs and tools, and I would at least be able to bring in some income.

I could work at my own pace, and I have built many different items for the home.

Any suggestions?

djmatt

October 30, 2006, 6:19 pm CST

Things are quiet tonight!  All over the message boards???

What did I miss?

Just wanted to say, I just don't understand that no matter how hard I try, I keep slipping  back into the depths of despair.

Let's try to make a positive of a negative.  Honestly, I had about 4 hours of energy and feeling better today.  Some days are better, some are worse. 

I don't understand this.  We eat a relatively healthy diet.  I take the meds.  I start doing things, getting things done around the house.  Then plan to do something productive in the shop, or whatever.  Then the energy level just drops.

It takes me several hours to get moving in the mornings.  Then this.  How can I expand the life of my energy and feeling good?  How can I plan or do anything with a life like this?

I don't have the energy or motivation to get out and do things.  The few hours I have, I try to do what I can around the house. 

Tomorrow's another day.  Maybe a better day lies ahead.  But I have got to get moving some how, or we will be moving out.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last