Message Boards

Topic : Physically Challenged Adults Support

Number of Replies: 86
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Sunday, September 17, 2006, 12:10:41 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Share advice and support with other adults with a physical disability or special needs.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 1, 2006, 10:55 am CST

Physically Challenged Adults Support

Author : djmatt   http://www.drphil.com/messageboard/topic/1981    

A WAY FOR THE DISABLED, AND DISADVANTAGED.

This Message Board is a tool dedicated to assist those who have been disadvantaged because of illnesses, misfortunes and tragedies in their lives.

The Missions of this Board, set to a campaign status is as follows:

• To share opinions, thoughts, and ideas to help those who are DISABLED.

• To enlighten the corporate world of the ABILITES of those considered DISABLED.

• To help people find a way to utilize their skills and talents in non-conventional work duties or applications in order to empower them to make a decent living.

• To help those who are disadvantaged to find resources to assist in their immediate needs.
  • to promote their ABILITES and to allow opportunities for a normal life-style.
  • To improve our economy by employing, or empowering the disabled, who are capable enough to apply their skills and talents, by allowing them to earn a living, and not depend on the social services of society.
  • To demonstrate to society the benefits of this empowerment.

• To assist those with special needs by offering contacts and resources to allow them to move ahead.

• To assist the mentally challenged, or intellectually challenged, and physically challenged and bring a new hope of prosperity and successes to their lives.

• To raise AWARENESS across the nation that we, the disabled, who have the desire to improve our lives, do not want to be set aside as a misfit of society.
    By djmatt.  Creator of the message board "A Child's Voice Connection, Prevent Child Abuse and Abductions"
    http://www.drphil.com/messageboard/topic/999
    We must join forces across this nation to fight child abuse.  Here is my banner:

November 30, 2006, 3:01 pm CST

Quote From: Lostinspace

Hi

I want to tell you that, you are not alone. I am a 46 year old woman. I have C. P. I'm not sure if "we" will see the day in our lifetime as first class people. Although it would sure make life easier for everyone.

Feel free to write, if you would like to.

Hi,

I couldnt even comprehend what it is like for someone in a wheelchair, and the challenges they face until I was in an accident and lost my leg.  yes I have the ability once again to walk, but it is a challenge.  it is painful.  I was in a chair full time for a short time, only 3 months.  But what an eye opener!  I remember going to JC PENNEY to shop for clothes for my 5yr old.  I couldnt go through the isles.  there was no room for me to shop.  When I had asked the sales clerk for a pair of jeans, she pointed to an area I couldnt get to.  And to top it off she wouldnt get them for me.  So I no longer go to JC PENNEY.  I have encounterd people misusing the parking spots, telling (this is true)  Those people get the prime spots, why cant they park over there.  I laughed, told him it was for physical disabilities, not mental.  So my hat is off to you for the struggles you live with daily, and I will continue to  advocate for better understanding for those that must live thier lives just a bit different than the rest of the "normal" people. 

Take care stay strong. 

Red

December 9, 2006, 8:39 pm CST

Where is help when you need it??

God bless all.

dj

December 29, 2006, 11:47 am CST

my tears and hurt will not stop

I do not not how to deal with the fact that my MS has changed my body.

I have always thought i was an attractive person,now i look in the mirror ever day my face is still the same but my body is not.My whole right side from head to toe is skinner than the left my legs are kinda twisted looking,yes i still can walk and am thankful for that, I have to use a cane and where an AFO on my right foot I look like a drunk when i walk i hate it ,,it is ugly.I cant where sandals or boots or where a skirt.never will where a bikini again,my stomach and my behind have these bruises and red areas on them from giving my self shoots...Even when my husband says iam still just as sexy,,,I cant help to wonder what he his looking at because i just don't see it any more its gone.

December 29, 2006, 9:43 pm CST

Quote From: allieros

I do not not how to deal with the fact that my MS has changed my body.

I have always thought i was an attractive person,now i look in the mirror ever day my face is still the same but my body is not.My whole right side from head to toe is skinner than the left my legs are kinda twisted looking,yes i still can walk and am thankful for that, I have to use a cane and where an AFO on my right foot I look like a drunk when i walk i hate it ,,it is ugly.I cant where sandals or boots or where a skirt.never will where a bikini again,my stomach and my behind have these bruises and red areas on them from giving my self shoots...Even when my husband says iam still just as sexy,,,I cant help to wonder what he his looking at because i just don't see it any more its gone.

Your husband sees you, not your body...he loves you, your body is failing you, but he is not...he loves you! He probably sees your strength in your illness sexy.

I'm so sorry about your illness, and I'm so sorry that your body isn't what it used to be.

January 10, 2007, 4:17 am CST

Encephalitis Also

Quote From: encephalitis

Hi everybody I just  wanted to ask.  If  I email Dr Phil do u think he will  be able to  find me some help. To get my drooling problem stop? Like find me a Dr who know what he doing! Let me know thanks bye.

Hi to encephalitis.  I had encephalitis in April 2005.  

I wish there was a place for the NEWLY DISABLED.

A place with resources like:

• Tips for daily living
    • What to do with changes in relationships
    • LIFE CHANGING -- what has changed and what has not
    • How to manage your own medications
    • How to deal with the new medical vocabulary, so much information to digest
    • How to keep as active as possible
    • Dealing with depression, frustations, no energy, negative things that drag on
    • Dealing with positive emotions -- grateful to be alive, people offering help,

Maybe this could be a new book for Dr. Phil to do?  A new show idea? 

burgus

January 10, 2007, 6:51 am CST

Quote From: burgus

Hi to encephalitis.  I had encephalitis in April 2005.  

I wish there was a place for the NEWLY DISABLED.

A place with resources like:

• Tips for daily living
    • What to do with changes in relationships
    • LIFE CHANGING -- what has changed and what has not
    • How to manage your own medications
    • How to deal with the new medical vocabulary, so much information to digest
    • How to keep as active as possible
    • Dealing with depression, frustations, no energy, negative things that drag on
    • Dealing with positive emotions -- grateful to be alive, people offering help,

Maybe this could be a new book for Dr. Phil to do?  A new show idea? 

burgus

I don't know if you're looking for something outside of a message board when you asked this question, but there are organizations set up to help the disabled person. They are usually called "independent living" centers...and they're a wealth of information! They have activities, and that's just the beginning. You could call your local department of human services office and ask if there's such an organization in your area. Mine has been a Godsend for me....there are times when I can't drive myself, and they have transportation available. Nice vans with wheelchair lifts and all....;)

Please check into this. Places like this have a wealth of information to share, and they're really there for you.  Good luck....

January 15, 2007, 1:38 pm CST

RESCUE ME!

When two campers were in the wilderness, very strong and avid hikers and outdoors-men, came across a man, down the steep slopes of a drop-off, about 45 feet down, they went into a mode of rescue.

They could not tell if the man was dead or alive.  He had obviously slipped and fell, tumbling down the hill with jagged rocks and landed on a flat area with some brush and foliage.

The two campers gave up all of their plans, and without any communication to the outside world, and an hours walk back to the safety of their vehicles, which were parked at the Park Manager''s Office, they made a decision.

Man's natural instincts kick in when they see a fellow human being in trouble.  To try to make the trip back to get help may cost time and possibly this man's life, if he is still alive.  These two courageous men, knowing the ins and outs of mountain climbing, hiking, and skills of first aid; one is a paramedic, they knew it would take the two of them to reach this man without risking their own lives.  If one left to get help, and the other tried to reach the man, he would most likely die.

So they put their plan of action in motion, without hesitation, and geared up to make the forty foot descention, and rigged a lifting device by using their tent, ropes and other equipment.  The proceed to descend, using extreme caution, but with the adrenaline pumping through their bodies, they were able to execute the descention very swiftly.  The paramedic immediately assessed the condition of the victim, who was fortunately still alive, but unconscious. 

After a careful assessment, and trying to get the man to respond, they could tell he was in a semi-conscience state.  The two campers executed their rescue as planned, removed the victim from the trap of death, and to safe ground. 

The Paramedic worked with the victim while the other camper, wasting no time, headed out for help.  He made his way back to the parks manager's office, and reported the incident.  When rescue units arrived, they use  ATVs with a specially designed cart for such incidents.  The camper was able to ride with the rescue unit to direct them to the victim.

Adrenalin still pumping, they reached the victim, barely alive, but heard the commotion and sounds and opened his eyes long enough to see he was being rescued, and gave a brief smile through his face of excruciating pain.

The victim recovered, thanks to the heroic acts of these two individuals; who stated that they did not consider their selves heroes.  But they just did what any normal individual would do under the circumstances!

What a remarkable effort by these men, I perceive as heroes.

BUT WHAT ABOUT ME?  I HAVE FALLEN FROM THE EDGE OF THE CLIFF, AND LIE HELPLESSLY AT THE BOTTOM, WITH NO WAY OUT!

WHAT ABOUT ME?  I HAVE SEEN MANY ABLE BODIED INDIVIDUALS PASS ME BY, JUST TO LOOK AT ME AND SAY, "OH, HE WILL BE OK.  HE CAN TAKE CARE OF HIMSELF.  WE HAVE BETTER THINGS TO DO."

WHAT ABOUT ME?  BEGGING FOR MONTHS ON END FOR A LITTLE ASSISTANCE FROM AT LEAST ONE HINDERED ORGANIZATIONS AND INDIVIDUALS, WHO ALL LOOK AT ME AND SAY, SORRY, THERE'S NOTHING I CAN DO.

WHERE IS MY HERO?  WHERE ARE MY GOOD SAMARITANS?

WHY IS IT THAT WHEN SOMEONE IS IN TROUBLE IN THEIR OWN HOMES, NO ONE GIVES A DAMN?

January 19, 2007, 7:12 am CST

encephalitis

Quote From: ricschic

I don't know if you're looking for something outside of a message board when you asked this question, but there are organizations set up to help the disabled person. They are usually called "independent living" centers...and they're a wealth of information! They have activities, and that's just the beginning. You could call your local department of human services office and ask if there's such an organization in your area. Mine has been a Godsend for me....there are times when I can't drive myself, and they have transportation available. Nice vans with wheelchair lifts and all....;)

Please check into this. Places like this have a wealth of information to share, and they're really there for you.  Good luck....

Dove

That's a joke. I went to the Independent living centers for help. They say they can't help me with anything. Only thing it looks like they help people who really can't take care of their self's. A friend of my got me a caseworker. But they closed my case. Because I am not too smart they said for any kind of help out there. I just am sick of not having a job. I am tired of living with people all the time. I would love to have my own place for once. Thanks for asking but they won't help me.  

Dove  

January 22, 2007, 7:24 am CST

encephalitis

Quote From: encephalitis

Dove

That's a joke. I went to the Independent living centers for help. They say they can't help me with anything. Only thing it looks like they help people who really can't take care of their self's. A friend of my got me a caseworker. But they closed my case. Because I am not too smart they said for any kind of help out there. I just am sick of not having a job. I am tired of living with people all the time. I would love to have my own place for once. Thanks for asking but they won't help me.  

Dove  

Oh I wrote that part wrong. Its says (Because I am not to smart for any help) I was saying they couldn't help me bec I am to smart for any help out there. Sorry about the mess up.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last