Message Boards

Topic : Can't Lose Those Last Five Pounds?

Number of Replies: 55
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Sunday, September 17, 2006, 12:16:52 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
You've almost made it but just can't get rid of those last five pounds, what should you do? Share tips and advice with others looking to break the last five pounds plateau.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 2, 2007, 10:27 am CST

Can't LOSE weight..

I'm 21 yrs old and I have a 1 year old little girl.

For years I have been obsses with my weight. I like to be thin and to me my appearance is very important. But being so I always end up feeling UGLY and FAT. At the age of 16 and 17 I was never told but I think I was bulimic. For those two years I threw up every meal I would have as a result I felt empty and skinny. Mission Accomplished. On my last year throwing up wasn't working anymore. When I would try to throw up my lugs would feel like they were been pulled and streched it was the nastyest feeling ever and at that none of my food would come out. It just hirted when I would try. So I gave up. My weight then was 110 and remained that way till the age of 19 when I became pregnant. I was happy but at the same time mad that I was going to gain weight and stay chubby. So now my only help is Diet Pills who seemed to be workiong for a yr or two now they have no effect on me at all. So my weight remains. My body has changed and I'am embarrased to show my husband my body he hasn't seen my stomach sense I had my little girl.

January 23, 2007, 2:22 pm CST

Can't Lose Those Last Five Pounds?

Quote From: kelseym127

I'm extremely obese and I can't seem to lose any weight. I'm a girl and I weight 119 pounds. I've been trying to lose weight for a few months, and I can't get anywhere below 119. No matter how much I try, nothing ever changes.

Well I think you need to give yourself a break! how tall are you 119 is a great number! i weigh 150 pounds but i used to be 190! and now i need to lose those 5 pounds but i really cant! i gained 2 pounds and im scared of gaining all the rest what do u think i should do?

January 24, 2007, 11:17 am CST

14 year old kid

Quote From: ceceliags

You failed to say what your age and height is. Depending on that 119 doesn't seem like a lot. If you are anywhere above 5 feet you're ok. Again, what is your desired weight goal?
my child is 14 when she came to my house she was 5 ft 4 in she was in a womans 20 w in 6 months she has been sucessfull and got her weight down to 180 now shes in a size 16. i told her i was so proud of her. shes not deiting but i changed her way she was eating no fast food like she was doing 4-5 times a week.and cut back seriously on the soda but now seems to be at a stand still.and exersicesing is kinda out of the picture there is no motivation to exersicise. now im not to bad off im 5 ft 4 as well and weight 127 lbs. i think cause her dad is like 6 ft.ruffly 5-600lbs she acts like shes duembed to be big like her dad. she just wants to loose a little bit more weight.and it dont help much being the weather cold and snow we just need some activits to do inside any suggestions thank

February 9, 2007, 5:29 am CST

Quote From: ceceliags

You failed to say what your age and height is. Depending on that 119 doesn't seem like a lot. If you are anywhere above 5 feet you're ok. Again, what is your desired weight goal?
my child is 14 years old shes 5 foot 4 inches tall and she weights 180.her goal is 140 lbs thanks karen weist

March 2, 2007, 2:48 pm CST

I am 38 years old.  5'8" 144 pounds.  I have weight 135 pounds for the past 10 years...  Over the past year, I have moved in with my boyfriend and stop eating healthy and drinking more wine.  Therefore, I have gained 10 pounds over the past year. 

SO... 6 weeks ago, I started training 1 hour a day (30 minutes cardio, 30 minutes weight) for 5 days a week.  I have cut on fat and alcool... and what has happened????  I have gained two pounds.. I am coompletely discouraged.

MP

April 15, 2007, 11:52 pm CDT

Weight lose

Im a 20 year old girl and i want to lose thigh weight. Pliz i need tips on losing thigh weight because ky thighs are fat

April 16, 2007, 8:04 am CDT

Quote From: thabang86

Im a 20 year old girl and i want to lose thigh weight. Pliz i need tips on losing thigh weight because ky thighs are fat
Go to the "ways to exercise in the house" message board. There's a lot of advice and support there                MB

April 19, 2007, 11:20 pm CDT

MP

Quote From: intelligente

I am 38 years old.  5'8" 144 pounds.  I have weight 135 pounds for the past 10 years...  Over the past year, I have moved in with my boyfriend and stop eating healthy and drinking more wine.  Therefore, I have gained 10 pounds over the past year. 

SO... 6 weeks ago, I started training 1 hour a day (30 minutes cardio, 30 minutes weight) for 5 days a week.  I have cut on fat and alcool... and what has happened????  I have gained two pounds.. I am coompletely discouraged.

MP

Don't get discouraged. The 2 pounds you gained is from muscle not fat.  Instead of weighing yourself you need to measure yourself around the hips and waist.  This is how you will notice the changes your body is making.

I have been a body builder for over 5 years now. I weighed 105 pounds and wore a size 5...now I weigh 135 pounds and wear a size 7 or 9.  You would think I look bigger but I don't.  People always assume I wear a size 1 or 3 in jeans.  This is because muscle weighs more that fat...but the more muscle you add the smaller the body will appear to look.  So, keep lifting the weights, your not gaining fat pounds...your getting a stronger and leaner body. 

Remember...measure your body....don't use scales.

Mickie

April 25, 2007, 6:20 pm CDT

Quote From: ohdang13

Don't get discouraged. The 2 pounds you gained is from muscle not fat.  Instead of weighing yourself you need to measure yourself around the hips and waist.  This is how you will notice the changes your body is making.

I have been a body builder for over 5 years now. I weighed 105 pounds and wore a size 5...now I weigh 135 pounds and wear a size 7 or 9.  You would think I look bigger but I don't.  People always assume I wear a size 1 or 3 in jeans.  This is because muscle weighs more that fat...but the more muscle you add the smaller the body will appear to look.  So, keep lifting the weights, your not gaining fat pounds...your getting a stronger and leaner body. 

Remember...measure your body....don't use scales.

Mickie

Hi, I am 5'6 and for a few years I could not get under 130.  I started writing everything down and do not exceed about 1200 calories/day unless I work out.  I wear a heart monitor watch that tells me how many calories I burn in my heart rate zone when I exercise and I don't leave the gym until I burn 500 calories.  In any event if you write everything down and don't exceed your caloric intake and exericse you will start seeing a difference as I have now gotten under 130.  My goal is 125 lbs and plan to make it.  I lift heavy weights and yes some of it will be muscle as muscle weighs more than fat but you can still get your weight down if you write every morsel down and keep track.  I am one that uses scales and have to see my weight and by seeing the number it helps me keep on track because it is so easy for the weight to creep up and 5 lbs is a battle to get off.

April 25, 2007, 6:36 pm CDT

WRITE IT DOWN

I cannot express how important it is to write down what you are eating for at least a few weeks.  Also, find out how many calories you should be eating a day and don't go over that caloric intake.  When you add up your cups of coffee, ketchup, salad dressings etc. you have no idea how many calories you are adding to your day.  I always look on the nutritional info and look at calories.  It does not matter low carb, low fat, whatever it is only the calories I am interested in because a calorie is a calorie PERIOD!  There are many websites that will tell you how many calories foods are including when you go out to eat in restaurants.  I have made it my priority to do this and it does work.  Many people when they are young eat maybe 2000 calories per day.  Well as we get older your metabolism slows down and you want to create a deficit so for example I am 50 yrs. old and eat about 1250 calories/day and when I exercise I might add on 500 because I never leave the gym unless I burn 500 calories.  I may not even use all those extra calories but on that paricular day it is no big deal because I exercised hard and my body needs the fuel.  There are so many ways to cut back.  When ordering from fast food order a kids meal and you will save a ton of calories.  I believe that is the biggest problem is people have no idea waht they are eating and even when they say I hardly eat anything well one hamburger and a milkshake could be your entire caloric intake for the day!  Educate yourself on what you are eating, keep track and you will see the weight starting to come off.  There is no diet out there to fix this problem.  A calorie is a calorie and that is the bottom line.  If you don't create a deficit then you will never get the weight off and to keep it off.  Also, drink 0 calorie drinks.  That in itself can help many people.  I am so passionate about this obesity crises and I know I could gain weight extremely easily but at 50 years old and 5'6, 128 lbs. there is no way I am going to eat things that I have no idea how many calories or at least an idea of how many calories I am putting in my mouth.  After awhile you automatically know what you can allow yourself and what you can't.  The good thing is I can eat anything but just can't go over my calories so on a day I may crave sweets I will eat them but then other days I will feed my body with healthy low calorie foods like fruits, vegatables and low fat high protein foods i.e., turkey burgers, low sodium ham, etc. There are so many things to eat and never have to worry about being on a diet.  The key is be aware of what you are eating.  It is even now easier as items are prepackaged into 100 calorie packs which I keep in my car at all times so I never have to stop at a fast food restaurant if I am out.  I can reach for a 100 cal. pack which will hold me over with some water until I am able to have the lunch I want to have.  I am in control; not my hunger pains!  I wish people would understand this is not rocket scientist material it is simple.  The hardest part is going on the internet and finding out about how many calories you should take per day and even cut that down because I have found websites tend to list the caloric intake a bit high.  As you get older your body does not need all those calories.  Just enough to fuel it!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last