Message Boards

Topic : Can't Lose Those Last Five Pounds?

Number of Replies: 55
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Sunday, September 17, 2006, 12:16:52 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
You've almost made it but just can't get rid of those last five pounds, what should you do? Share tips and advice with others looking to break the last five pounds plateau.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 4, 2007, 4:15 pm CDT

CANT LOOSE THOSE LAST POUNDS CONT.

This is uncltodd and I have an update.  at the last message I was 448 and now I am 349 I have lost an additional 99 pounds.  It is not easy but it is happening and it is taking alot of hard work.  one step at atime and it is doing what can be doneand it is beinghappy with what is being accomplished and setting another goal and achieving it too.

May 7, 2007, 7:38 am CDT

how about ANY five pounds?!

My problem is so unusual I can't even find the correct thread to post it under, LOL! It seems my body is hanging onto weight for dear life! Here's my situation: I am a 35-yr-old happily-married work-at-home with 3 boys in elementary school. For the first time since high school, I am overweight. I have never been on a strict-regimen "diet" in the past, as I have always been a health-food nut with a balanced diet of small portions, and always got a moderate amount of exercise, if not intentionally then for the mere fact that I was SO very "busy". Besides pregnancy, as an adult I have usually maintained a weight between 135-145 pounds (I am 5'6" with a medium/thick body frame), always vowing never to reach that "150" mark! After all three of my children, I shed the weight quickly (breastfeeding, I suppose). I haven't had a baby in 5-1/2 years and am not having any more! The problem with my weight has arisen just over the past 9 months. We moved over the Winter and it was a very slow process, leaving us without pots and pans at hand for several weeks! We also hit a low point financially and resorted to more fast-food, processed foods, filling foods (pastas, etc...) than my family had ever experienced! I suppose the unhealthy foods drained my energy level, not to mention made me crave MORE unhealthy foods, and the move gave me an excuse to not exercise, meanwhile I became more sedentary than ever before, and... I reached 161 pounds, and am feeling absolutely LOUSY about myself. I refuse to buy new clothes to accomodate my weight gain, and Summer is nearly here! We are settling into our new home, and our financial situation has returned to a more "normal" grocery budget, and we do not need to hit the fast-food-chains (which was an absolute 1st for me, as I've always been against fast food).Somehow I thought losing this weight (20 pounds is my goal) would be easy, as I'm eating healthily again, been taking long walks daily, bike rides several times a week, minimal weight training 2-3 days a week (don't want to bulk too much), with almost no sugar and absolutely no "white" carbs, maintaining an approximate 1600-calories/day "diet". It's been THREE WEEKS and I have actually GAINED a pound!!!  Does anyone have any clue how/why this would happen??? I keep thinking my body will reach a breaking point of some sort and the weight will start dropping at once, but I was so frustrated yesterday that I gave in to a big bowl of sweet chili... feeling lousy afterwards because I broke my 3-week cycle of small portions, healthy eating. I don't want to get to that point of "acceptance" that I've watched so many others experience. This is not a healthy weight for me and I don't "accept" it... but what could be causing me to NOT lose ANY weight, and even to GAIN a pound after I am eating healthier and exercising MORE than I have in nearly a YEAR?!??!?  HELLLLLP!!! Thanks for all replies in advance!

May 16, 2007, 3:42 am CDT

Cant lose the last kgs

i have been working out for 4 months now .i do that by running up a hill every evening after work before dinner , in december i lost abt 10kg but not becaz i wa working but becaz i was stressed and i lost appitite. now my appitite is back and january i satarted working out, i have not lost any wait since the just kept that one i got during december, by the way i weigh 59kg i am a size 34(10), i wish i could atlest 5 more kgs to fit in size 30(6). but i cant seem to lose that wieght what is it that i am doing wrong.

May 23, 2007, 8:00 am CDT

Can't Lose Those Last Five Pounds?

Quote From: uncltodd

This is uncltodd and I have an update.  at the last message I was 448 and now I am 349 I have lost an additional 99 pounds.  It is not easy but it is happening and it is taking alot of hard work.  one step at atime and it is doing what can be doneand it is beinghappy with what is being accomplished and setting another goal and achieving it too.

Congratulations!  Keep up the good work!!!

May 28, 2007, 7:34 pm CDT

Gettin' "excited about your life" huh!!

Quote From: twdqueen

Congratulations!  Keep up the good work!!!

Great Job!!!!  Having lost 215lbs myself, (and kept it off 2 years) I know the importantance of support.  I doubt you need advice, but ((hahahah) those inspirational programs on TV may seem silly to some people, however along with the support of GREAT friends those programs and articles can be a lifesaver to aide one in staying on track.  I recently was able to complete my BA degree and am looking forward to finding a job.  Get ready for exciting life changes as your journey continues!!!!  Of course, there is the extra skin.  Even though it is depressing (unless you can afford to have it removed)  The way you feel inside makes it worth it anyway.

Best wishes.  Ill keep you in my prayers

June 27, 2007, 1:21 pm CDT

Older and confused

I am 50plus years old and used to look great.  I usually had to diet to get to a great weight (size 6) and then I would exercise to maintain it.  The last 5 years I have been going through "the change".  I call it reverse puberty because my body is changing (storing fat) where I've never stored it before and I'm not used to it nor am I comfortable with it.  I am now at a size 13 and cannot fit into any of my clothes.  In 4 years time I have gone from a size 6 to a size 13.  My question is this:  Is this normal?  I don't like what I see in the mirror but I am in reasonably good shape (I try to get on the treadmill at least 3 times a week).  I don't binge eat but do eat what I like.  I don't eat alot of sweets and have dessert (sugar-free pudding or sugar-free ice cream) two to three times a week.  In order to get to that size 6 again, I would have to work harder at controlling my food intake and exercise 5-7 times a week.  My blood pressure is fine, my health is good.  I just don't like being/looking "frumpy".  I'm not sure if my expectations are realistic about being a size 6.  Should I just be content that I'm a size 13 and look "frumpy"?  Is that my "get real" weight?  I'm not sure I want to work that hard to stay in shape or control my eating to the point that I'm obsessing about it.  I've always worried about my weight (obesity runs on both sides of my family).  I do realize that the aging process is taking place and in order to look/feel good I may have to work harder at it.  I'm just feeling like I should be getting to a place where either I become content at the way I look/feel or obsess to work harder at staying fit. 

June 30, 2007, 6:54 pm CDT

need help!!!!

I am 29 years old and I have been having a problem losing the last 10 or so pounds. When I started dieting about 3 years ago I weighed 235 plus pounds. I have gotten down to 138 and now I am stuck there. I have three children and alot of the problem is extra hanging fat and I don't know what esle to do to lose it. I have tried the ab lounge and the total gym and other work out tapes, but nothing is happening. Can some one please help!!!

Thanks

July 12, 2007, 3:32 pm CDT

I hope it's not to late to help

Quote From: intelligente

I am 38 years old.  5'8" 144 pounds.  I have weight 135 pounds for the past 10 years...  Over the past year, I have moved in with my boyfriend and stop eating healthy and drinking more wine.  Therefore, I have gained 10 pounds over the past year. 

SO... 6 weeks ago, I started training 1 hour a day (30 minutes cardio, 30 minutes weight) for 5 days a week.  I have cut on fat and alcool... and what has happened????  I have gained two pounds.. I am coompletely discouraged.

MP

Hey There

Here is some advice,

make sure you drink 8 glasses of water a day, it flushes out your system.

Also weight train 3 times a week. I took a course in school and I learned that

the muscle grows during the time you aren't working it. So maybe what you could do

is one day you work on upper body stregnth and then the next day work on lower body stregnth

Cardio is probably the best for you, things like walking, running, biking, etc are activities for you.

Also some foods like salad dressings can be high in fat, so read your nutrition labels.

When I was 12 or 13 years old I was 150 pounds and 5 feet. I joined weight watchers and they changed my lifestyle. I am more active and I lost 10 pounds and I am 16 today and I eat well and I kept off my weight and I always do something in my day to get exercise whether it's chasin around kids I  babysit, or going for a run with your friend.

Also get your family involved with healthy eating. To have that family support it is great and you don't have to resist those chocolates or chips or whatever because if everyone is in on healthy eating that's all that there will be in the house.

:) Good luck!

July 13, 2007, 8:03 pm CDT

Can't Lose Those Last Five Pounds?

Quote From: ohdang13

Don't get discouraged. The 2 pounds you gained is from muscle not fat.  Instead of weighing yourself you need to measure yourself around the hips and waist.  This is how you will notice the changes your body is making.

I have been a body builder for over 5 years now. I weighed 105 pounds and wore a size 5...now I weigh 135 pounds and wear a size 7 or 9.  You would think I look bigger but I don't.  People always assume I wear a size 1 or 3 in jeans.  This is because muscle weighs more that fat...but the more muscle you add the smaller the body will appear to look.  So, keep lifting the weights, your not gaining fat pounds...your getting a stronger and leaner body. 

Remember...measure your body....don't use scales.

Mickie

Hello...You probably won't ever see my reply because I think your post may be sevaral years old...But...It drives me absolutely crazy when people say "muscle weighs more than fat".  And you're not the first...I have heard so many people say the same thing and it JUST DOESN'T MAKE ANY SCIENTIFIC SENSE.  A pound of muscle=a pound of fat=a pound of feathers=a pound of lead=a pound of wood...You get the picture.  If you do get this reply, please explain.

August 7, 2007, 9:34 am CDT

Shakes

Make dinner for your family, save a plate for lunch tomorrow. Drink a shake while family is eating dinner and go for a jog or go to the gym. Don't eat at night. 5 LBS will fall off. 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last