Message Boards

Topic : Can't Lose Those Last Five Pounds?

Number of Replies: 55
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Sunday, September 17, 2006, 12:16:52 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
You've almost made it but just can't get rid of those last five pounds, what should you do? Share tips and advice with others looking to break the last five pounds plateau.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

August 19, 2007, 6:40 pm CDT

depressing

Quote From: puakia01

Make dinner for your family, save a plate for lunch tomorrow. Drink a shake while family is eating dinner and go for a jog or go to the gym. Don't eat at night. 5 LBS will fall off. 
Sorry,  I know your comment was well intended but I have to say it just sounds depressing.  5 lbs is not worth missing dinner with my family.  No shake can be that good. 

August 19, 2007, 6:45 pm CDT

pounds

Quote From: doxielover00

Hello...You probably won't ever see my reply because I think your post may be sevaral years old...But...It drives me absolutely crazy when people say "muscle weighs more than fat".  And you're not the first...I have heard so many people say the same thing and it JUST DOESN'T MAKE ANY SCIENTIFIC SENSE.  A pound of muscle=a pound of fat=a pound of feathers=a pound of lead=a pound of wood...You get the picture.  If you do get this reply, please explain.

a pound of muscle takes up less volume than a pound of fat.  For example and this is not scientificly true just trying to help you understand.  Say 1 pound of fat fills a gallon jug that you get milk in but in order to fill the gallon jug with muscle it may take 5lbs of muscle to fill the jug.  More lbs of muscle in the same volume as less fat

Hope it helps

August 29, 2007, 8:48 pm CDT

what

Quote From: koolaidemom

a pound of muscle takes up less volume than a pound of fat.  For example and this is not scientificly true just trying to help you understand.  Say 1 pound of fat fills a gallon jug that you get milk in but in order to fill the gallon jug with muscle it may take 5lbs of muscle to fill the jug.  More lbs of muscle in the same volume as less fat

Hope it helps

muscle weighs alot more then fat no matter what you say

October 5, 2007, 6:52 pm CDT

weight loss

I have been wanting to lose weight for some time now and I think I have the answer try and eat shredded wheat it sure takes the hunger pains away, I eat shredded wheat every day.. apples, and sometime vegetables and alot of house work will keep you active.

Darklore

October 9, 2007, 1:58 pm CDT

I've been told

Quote From: spikerbabytaz

muscle weighs alot more then fat no matter what you say

muscle  is the same as fat.

a pound of fat and a pound of muscle is the same thing.

November 10, 2007, 5:50 pm CST

Can't Lose Those Last Five Pounds?

Quote From: tajelilant

My problem is so unusual I can't even find the correct thread to post it under, LOL! It seems my body is hanging onto weight for dear life! Here's my situation: I am a 35-yr-old happily-married work-at-home with 3 boys in elementary school. For the first time since high school, I am overweight. I have never been on a strict-regimen "diet" in the past, as I have always been a health-food nut with a balanced diet of small portions, and always got a moderate amount of exercise, if not intentionally then for the mere fact that I was SO very "busy". Besides pregnancy, as an adult I have usually maintained a weight between 135-145 pounds (I am 5'6" with a medium/thick body frame), always vowing never to reach that "150" mark! After all three of my children, I shed the weight quickly (breastfeeding, I suppose). I haven't had a baby in 5-1/2 years and am not having any more! The problem with my weight has arisen just over the past 9 months. We moved over the Winter and it was a very slow process, leaving us without pots and pans at hand for several weeks! We also hit a low point financially and resorted to more fast-food, processed foods, filling foods (pastas, etc...) than my family had ever experienced! I suppose the unhealthy foods drained my energy level, not to mention made me crave MORE unhealthy foods, and the move gave me an excuse to not exercise, meanwhile I became more sedentary than ever before, and... I reached 161 pounds, and am feeling absolutely LOUSY about myself. I refuse to buy new clothes to accomodate my weight gain, and Summer is nearly here! We are settling into our new home, and our financial situation has returned to a more "normal" grocery budget, and we do not need to hit the fast-food-chains (which was an absolute 1st for me, as I've always been against fast food).Somehow I thought losing this weight (20 pounds is my goal) would be easy, as I'm eating healthily again, been taking long walks daily, bike rides several times a week, minimal weight training 2-3 days a week (don't want to bulk too much), with almost no sugar and absolutely no "white" carbs, maintaining an approximate 1600-calories/day "diet". It's been THREE WEEKS and I have actually GAINED a pound!!!  Does anyone have any clue how/why this would happen??? I keep thinking my body will reach a breaking point of some sort and the weight will start dropping at once, but I was so frustrated yesterday that I gave in to a big bowl of sweet chili... feeling lousy afterwards because I broke my 3-week cycle of small portions, healthy eating. I don't want to get to that point of "acceptance" that I've watched so many others experience. This is not a healthy weight for me and I don't "accept" it... but what could be causing me to NOT lose ANY weight, and even to GAIN a pound after I am eating healthier and exercising MORE than I have in nearly a YEAR?!??!?  HELLLLLP!!! Thanks for all replies in advance!

Bless your heart!  I am a 41 y/o stay-at-home mom of 3 boys and was size 14/16 and weighed 167 pounds.  I definitely don't know all the answers, but I've been going to Weight Watchers and working out at Curves for six months now and have lost 25 pounds.  Weight Watchers put you on a "point system" according to your height, age, weight, activity level, and sex.  They say to EAT ALL YOUR POINTS!!!  Sometimes, that's hard to do, but I eat willingly.   I really enjoy McDonald's lunch with an ice cream cone!  They also say to drink at least 8 glasses of water and to limit your caffeine intake.  My Weight Watcher's leader has given many more pointers, but those are the one's that I didn't realize why it helped to lose weight.  She also says that sometimes when you feel hungry, you're really dehydrated and to drink water.  Would you be able and willing to join a Weight Watcher's meeting?  Good luck and God Bless! 

November 20, 2007, 9:08 am CST

Quote From: pkakes731

muscle  is the same as fat.

a pound of fat and a pound of muscle is the same thing.

no. Muscle cells WILL weigh more. Thats how you have 160l track runners that ae perfectly toned and then160 do-nothings that re "plumper".. get it?

November 27, 2007, 8:23 pm CST

Quote From: jsnich525

Bless your heart!  I am a 41 y/o stay-at-home mom of 3 boys and was size 14/16 and weighed 167 pounds.  I definitely don't know all the answers, but I've been going to Weight Watchers and working out at Curves for six months now and have lost 25 pounds.  Weight Watchers put you on a "point system" according to your height, age, weight, activity level, and sex.  They say to EAT ALL YOUR POINTS!!!  Sometimes, that's hard to do, but I eat willingly.   I really enjoy McDonald's lunch with an ice cream cone!  They also say to drink at least 8 glasses of water and to limit your caffeine intake.  My Weight Watcher's leader has given many more pointers, but those are the one's that I didn't realize why it helped to lose weight.  She also says that sometimes when you feel hungry, you're really dehydrated and to drink water.  Would you be able and willing to join a Weight Watcher's meeting?  Good luck and God Bless! 

Hi there! Never lose hope! Have you ever heard of the "6 week body make over"? Google it and see what you think. It will help you not only lose the weight, but also tone up at the same time. It is a $100 investment, but it works miracles!

I wish you the best of luck. Let me know if I can help further!

January 22, 2008, 7:19 am CST

Body holding weight for the first time?

I did the Dr. Phil Weight Loss Solution for the first time when baby #2 was a year old with FANTASTIC results - lost 25 lbs in 3 months.  It was the healthiest I had been in my life.  After baby #3, the weight came off quickly.  But with baby #4, I am at a loss.

She is 8 months old and my body won't let go of the last 15 lbs.  I have started the Dr. Phil Weight Loss Solution FIVE times and every time I GAIN five pounds the first week.  After two weeks, I am too weak and hungry to continue my regular exercise program and when I go back to eating whatever I want, I go back DOWN to my original weight.  WHAT IS UP?

Is it because I am 35 and my metabolism slowed down?  Is it because I am still breastfeeding 4-5 times a day and my body wants to hang onto fat?  Am I retaining water?  I just want to get back the body I had at age 31; I was 110 lbs. and felt SO great.  (I am only 5 feet tall, so this is a realistic weight.)  Did anyone go through this?  Does anyone have a solution?

January 29, 2008, 12:30 pm CST

Losing those last pounds

I think we often put to much though into losing weight instead of being healthy.  Last year I gained 10 pounds of very unnecessary weight.  I gained it slowly due to being less active because I had a 1 year old that didn't allow me to get out as much.  Anyway....I got so down about the weight that I ended up dieting and still gaining more weight.  I needed a chang and decided that it had to be mental first.  I began by getting more sunlight!  Yes....it makes a world of difference.  I met that goal and decided to make my face as radiant as possible so purchased some skin care products from beautix skin care compny(the massiha line is my favoritve.)  I even used the glow stuff so that I appeared to have a tan and started to feel better.  Then was ready to tackle exercise.  I just started walking on my treadmill everyday for 12-15 minutes.  Not much but something!  By the time I got around to watching my diet I had already lost 5 pounds.  If you are happier and not so concerned about the weight then it is easier to shed th pounds.  I am finally back down to a great weight for me!  I make meals from the Bill Phillips recipe book and don't go the the extreme.  I do simple things like play with my 3 little boys as often as possible, walk 12-15 minutes a day, even if it is around my house, and try to be happy!  Just by me being able to control something in my life (my skin) I felt good about myself again and was able to really feel hopeful.  So find the one thing that would give you control over an issue and conquer that battle, gain some confidence, and be ready to shed some pounds!!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last