Message Boards

Topic : Lost All the Weight and Still Hate Your Body?

Number of Replies: 27
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Sunday, September 17, 2006, 12:25:25 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
You've finally made it to your goal, but you're still not happy with the way you look. Whether it's sagging skin, stretch marks, or just a poor body image, share your tips, advice, and support here.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

March 30, 2008, 8:08 pm CDT

Lost All the Weight and Still Hate Your Body?

Quote From: crisisorchaos

Its so devasitating today to see so many people unhappy with themselves and their image because of the medias pressure to be perfect and slim and in shape and basically all the things regular people dont have.We are perfect the way we are even if the internet and t.v. say otherwise.Its disgusting that we idolize 85 pound models because we think they look good because so many people envy their physique. I am happy to be the way i am i know that i have flaws and i am not the most perfect specimen on earth but i feel comfortable with myself and as long as i do i really dont have much to worry about.
It is sad how the media promotes being underweight as something to strive for.  However, alot of poor body images don't come from media, but people that are close to them.  My mother influenced me in my poor body image and still pushes that unhealthy thinking on me.  I look back and was not fat at all in HS.  I gained weight after having my daughter and kept it on until having my son.  One year after having my son I had returned to the weight I was when I started college.  I have maintained it by healthy eating and a love for running.  Despite what the scale says I still see a huge cow in the mirror.  I know logically that I am in good shape and healthy weight, but still hate what I see.  The issue is far deeper than media influence and the numbers on a scale.  Definately working to improve my self talk!  I commend you on loving and being comfortable with yourself.  I hope to someday to be able to say the same! 

April 12, 2008, 3:52 am CDT

what else do I have to do???????????

I started losing weight about a year and a half ago.  190 to 144.  Great right?  NOOOOOOOOO!!!  Everyone said i had lost too much.  I looked sick.  It wasn't me.  And on and on.  Well, in the privacy of my bathroom, I knew it was me.  Sickening stretch marks and this whatever it is around my waist that no amount of exercise is getting rid of.  I am disgusted by the "Thing" around my middle.  So, I thought "why am I trying when I look like crap anyway."  Gave up.  Gained about 15 pounds.  Then I realized I am very unhealthy.  so, here I am at it again.  Working out almost every day.  Eating the right foods, keeping track.  (I joined WW)  I'm glad I decided to start thinking about what i eat, but i stll, after six years will not let my b-friend in the bathroom with me.  I know he loves me, and i know he's seen "sneak-previews" of my body, but to just be like "OK honey, come on in and stare at my mammoth gut" is out of the question.  I avoid sex alot because of my insecurities, not because I'm not horney.  I would love to have sex in the middle of the afternoon, but that will NOT happen until this big hunk of flubber decides to leave.  Yes, it impacts your life.  Yes, i think about it EVERY DAY!  And yes, I have thought about surgery.  Finances don't allow that, so I know im pretty much going to have to find a way to accept my "friend"  around my waist and hips.  Just "hanging" out.  Comfortable right where it is with no intention of ever leaving.  Like a renter who refused to be evicted.  IT SUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!

June 7, 2008, 4:57 pm CDT

150 pounds lost, loose skin gained

I am experiencing the same problem unfortunately. Ate age 14 I weighed over 350lbs but I was able to lose 150 of those pounds due to eatting right and exercise. I was always worried about loose skin but I hoped against hope that it wouldn't happen to me. I've been trying to see what options are out there and praying that it's not just plastic surgery. I actually started a blog a couple weeks ago to document my struggles and to hopefully meet other people experiencing the same problem. It's really the elephant in the room. I give more details there. You can check it out my blog here: http://lifeaftertheloss.blogspot.com/

September 13, 2008, 11:15 am CDT

Cellulite after baby

Before i got pregnant i had a little unnoticable cellulite on my legs.  Now I have alot and I'm not even fat. I weigh 128 and I don't like all the cellulite. I lost 20 lbs. in the past 6 months and still no loss of cellulite. Ive been eating less and walking more. I used the good bye cellulite cream for 2 months and no difference. A couple years ago before i had my son i weighed 102 lbs and i was to skinny and i always wanted some meat on me. Now I wish i was 102 lbs  again. I hate cellulite. It's my worst enemy and it makes my confidence go out the door everytime i put a skirt on. People always say... "Oh Jamie, I wish i had your body." and that gets on my nerves cuz theres nothing really good to want from it. I just want the soft skin and the big boobs.

September 30, 2008, 7:23 pm CDT

Lost All the Weight and Still Hate Your Body?

Hi everyone.

I've been losing weight for the last 3 years...went from 261 to 152. (109 pounds gone)...I've been consistantly working with a trainer, eat 6 meals a day, drink 2-3 litres of water everyday.

I am proud at what I have accomplished...my body is so strong now and I am able to do so much more in life. I have better confidence.

I just thought I would come to this board to share how I feel about my stretch marks...I call them my battle wounds and I wear them proudly. So many people would be quick to judge me based on those stretch marks (because so many think they are ugly)...but I know why they are there. I know what I have achieved to get them...I can't say that a lot of others have walked in my shoes. Those same people who are quick to judge are probably also the ones who have never in their life had to work so hard for something....not too many people do things for THEMSELVES. This is about you...this is about getting healthy and being able to live a normal healthy happy life. You shouldn't be concerned with those who judge around you.

Wear your battle wounds proudly!

January 26, 2009, 10:27 am CST

My 'story'

Hey everyone.

I've been struggeling with my weight ever since I was eleven. Right now I'm 19 years old.
I'm 1.67m (or 5.35 foot). My current weight is 65 kg. (or 143 pounds).
This might seem perfectly normal, but I've felt fat as long as I can remember.
I sport 2 times a week, and manage what I eat, but I still do not lose weight.

My weight and appearance bother me a lot. I've been picked on very badly in secondary school and never felt pretty. It's actually the complete opposite. I've felt ugly all my life. Nomatter what my exboyfriend or regluar friends tell me. I just don't believe and trust them, though I know I should and should just get over myslef!

I don't know if any of you recognise yourselves in this, and want to talk to me, or help me if you managed to feel better about yourself, but I would appreciate it if somebody would talk to me about it who understands all this. It might seem very superficial or 'teen-ager-problem-ish' if you get my point, but it really messes me up. I hope you guys take this seriously, and want to talk. Thanks.

With love,
Maartje (a.k.a Emmy for my foreign friends!)

Ps Sorry if I made any mistakes, but English is not my first language!

May 14, 2009, 9:13 pm CDT

Lost the weight and am unhappy with what's left

Quote From: robbinp654

I am 42 yrs. old, 5' 3" and about 2 years ago I had gained up to 176lbs.  I made the decision to lose the weight with God's help, a healthy diet and exercise.  In 16 months I was able to lose over 50lbs. and have maintained a 120-125lb. range.  Inside, I feel so much better since the weight loss but outside the sagging skin on my body repulses me.  My dream was to lose the weight and be able to wear shorts, 2-piece bathing suits, the ever popular "skinny" shirts, etc. that I wouldn't wear before but I find myself covering up more now than I did when I was overweight.  My arms, stomach, legs, neck and most everything else makes me look like I'm 80 years old.  It's definitely not a win-win situation.  I actually have lower self esteem now than when I was at 176lbs.  The option of surgery is out of the question since my husband and I both are disabled and live on a fixed income.  I never thought that I would second guess my decision to lose the weight but when I look in the mirror, I can't help it.

My prayers go out to all of you

I understand completely.  I'll never be able to afford surgery to correct the sagging skin.  I've lost about 100 lbs and still pretty much dress the way I did when fat.  I need the layers to cover up the wrinkly, sagging skin.  I had no idea what I'd be left with.

I didn't spend my life fat, but I gained about 100 lbs in a year because some kind of chronic fatigue/fibromyalgia (or something that causes that) made it so I couldn't go to the gym anymore or teach dance.  The weight came on fast, came off very slow, and I'm left covering most of my body up because it looks so disgusting.  And living on the gulf coast means HOT summers and high humidity, but you won't find me wearing shorts or tank tops or short sleeved shirts... not by themselves anyway.  I always wear a hoodie or sweater or sweat jacket if the shirt I'm wearing has short sleeves of any kind.  No matter the weather, that's how I'm dressed.

Finding clothes that fit is yet another issue.  Arms and torso aren't in proportion (heavy upper arms despite the weight loss), so I can only wear tops made from stretchy material so it fits everywhere.  Buying shirts or blouses to fit my upper arms means the top will be HUGE, while the arms fit.  It looks horrible, so I can't wear clothes made from non-stretchy material.  There's just no way.

I envy those who have access to take care of the loose skin after a big loss.  I was actually shocked by a friend's mom's story.  She had lost almost 200 lbs and Medicaid paid for her body lift!  I could hardly believe it.

But I have so many days where I do wish I hadn't lost the weight.  I see daytime shows and movies, etc. about this awesome experiences where people have lost a ton of weight, ended up looking fabulous, even younger for it.  But for some of us, the end result after a large weight loss is, well, less than a happy ending.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | Next Page | Last Page