Message Boards

Topic : Ways to Exercise in the House

Number of Replies: 2019
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Sunday, September 17, 2006, 12:34:45 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Can't get out of the house due to weather, injury or disability, or just busy watching the kids? Are you trying to lose weight, get in shape, improve flexibility and circulation, or tone your body? Share your tips to exercising without leaving your home.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 21, 2006, 8:39 am CDT

WOW! that's just so neat ...

Quote From: kelseym127

I was just ablet to just put them in and do it.

I have problems doing stuff in my home especially if I've attempted it more than once.

With winter fast approaching, I'm going to get in the habit this winter doing it.  I've been picking up videos for a $1 or two for a little while ... that's to help me overcome my "BORED" attitude. 

October 21, 2006, 8:42 am CDT

this week's exercise report ...

Well, I did pretty good even though I thought I did lousy ... good thing I started to track my exercise every day because now I can see how well I am doing. 

I went to the gym 4 days this week.

I walked my dogs 2 x for 45 min each; 1x for 15 minutes in the rain.

I went to the dance studio and practice dance for 45 minutes.

Not too bad.  And today, well, I'm hoping to put on my music and just dance for 10 minutes.  THat's a good enough goal ... for next week too!

Next week, I plan on making it to the gym 4 days; 1x at the dance studio, walk my dogs at a minimum 3x and do the Saturday workshop for 6 hours!  On Sunday, I'll be resting ... soaking my feet and taking my iproben.

October 21, 2006, 1:38 pm CDT

Ways to Exercise in the House

Quote From: missy77

Do you notice a diffrence? I know when I started to work out, I did it at home, (I wanted to lose weight before going to the gym), and I noticed a diffrence right away! It was fantastic and felt great!

As soon as I lost enough weight I felt comfortable enough to go to the gym. Is that what you are planning on doing or you just want to do it at home?

I just want to keep doing it at home.  I don't want to pay for a gym membership.

October 22, 2006, 12:27 pm CDT

Yesterday's exercise at home ...

Yesterday, I washed 10 loads of flannet ... I had to wash & dry each material individually - then walk it upstairs and fold it. 

By night, my feet and legs were so tired from all that walking ... I went to bed at 9:30 ... no kidding!!  I never once had time to check out my exercise room or anything.  I cut out 2 patterns and ironed them. I searched for all the patterns I am going to use to make my presents.  I just didn't seem to stop moving ... it was really cool and at the same time, I really was tired!

Today, I've rested totally ... I'm submitting 4 resumes ... I'm doing really really good!

October 24, 2006, 5:45 pm CDT

Hi Missy ...

I've decided to not go to my Tue/Thur gym class -- I'm hoping that by taking 48 hours between my M/W an T/Th classes, my right hamstring will finally stop hurting so much.  I took 3 days off last week (F, Sa, Sun) and it was painful all weekend.  I'm hoping that I'm just overworking it by doing all 4 classes in a row like I've been attempting to do.

I do want to tell you that I've seen major changes in my body already -- and it because I don't have time to think about the exercise!  Honestly, by the time I've been in class for 30 minutes, I'm just so zoned out, I just listen to what she's telling me to do and then just doing it.  I feel like a zombie.

How is the treadmill coming?  Does your treadmlll have a slope to it? 

I know that a couple of times my healthy back instructor has made us do warmups on the treadmill and makes me do all sorts of things .. like slope it at a certain speed, then bring it back down and increase the walking speed.      I've seen exercises like that in one of my fitness mags as well.

Hope you are doing good.

October 26, 2006, 9:04 pm CDT

Yep, I checked out the site ...

Quote From: missy77

Been on the oxygen site, love it! have you been yet?

I haven,t been doing much, just got in touch with my gym girl, going back monday, getting the kids babysat! How about you?

I'm also getting a cleanning lady to help out with the chores AHHHHH this will help!

I checked out the site and saw that it's a Canadian mag ... I'm checking the local stores in the area for it.  In fact, I found this other mag from the Fitness Mags:  MUSCLE & FITNESS HERS ...  it's totally different than anything else I've read before.  It's mostly exercise -- more into the body building arena ... but not.

I'm glad you are going to the gym ...  and getting a babysitter works!  That way you can just leave them at home and go ... 

And a cleaning woman!  wow that's just fab!!!

My hamstring is finally feeling so much better.  I just did the 2 yoga/pilates classes this week.  It never acted up before I added this class to my exercise routine.  So I figure I needed to build up my body more.  I'm going to return to the healthy back class on Tuesday ... I may have to just take just the 1 class and allow my leg the opportunity to heal. 

I feel rather good about it all. I'm just glad that I did this for myself this month.  I've decided to attempt another month of doing the 4 classes too.  I sure hope I can last!  I got a job interview tomorrow ... that's a good sign for me.  I really was getting nervous that nobody was interested in me.  Went over a month without a call for an interview. I was getting at least 1 a week before.

Take care and let me know how your gym date with your gym gal goes.

M

October 27, 2006, 10:23 am CDT

My weekly status report ...

Okay, my right leg does feel a lot better!  tomorrow, I go to the dance workshop and will be on it for 3-4 hours ... it's all cardio so it won't be bad.

This week I made it to the gym 2 x.  I choose to do the yoga/pilates class because it's the one that's causing the dis-tress in my rt leg. 

I also acknowledged I needed to have done this because I knew the healthy back class was too easy for me.  Now, I see that I had really acculumated to it.  If i have to quit a class, it will be the healthy back one. 

I am choosing to continue to aim at attending the gym 4 days in a row and eventually attempt the Interval class -- that is the ultimate test for me!

I have also choosen to order Dr. Roizen & Oz's new book ... I need to practice menu planning at a different place.  I've done Dr. Phil's now 4-5 times and it's just not working anymore .  I need more knowledge.

The WLC support group is once again going over Weight Loss Solutions.  Each month we are going to review a key and provide a status of where we are at.  So far, 2 of us have pretty well mastered most if not all of the keys and steps.   I'm lagging behind with menu planning and adding veggies to my diet.  I have been practicing portion control and sizes for a couple of months now.  I use PORTION TELLER to help me learn 1 new one a month.  This month, it was walnuts. 

Overall, I'm doing rather well!  It's all about just sticking it out and working thru my excuses and the bumps in the road that life throws at me.  I look at them as tests.  Just life seeing if I'm really committed or not.  I'm committed! 

My goal is to have mastered this by APril 1st ... and do you know that I believe I'm only 4 years behind the original Weight Loss Challengers ... wow -- what a thought!!!

October 29, 2006, 11:50 am CST

Yesterday's workout!

At yesterday's workshop, I did the entire morning class of 2 hours.  I did 30 minutes of the afternoon's class -- the hopping and jumping hurt my feet and I had to put on my shoes with the inserts to bring down the pain.  That night, I danced for 15 minutes straight and this morning, I woke up and walked the dogs (15 minutes) and walked to the store to get my paper.  I feel good ...

and I have met and exceeded my goal!   On my 54th birthday, I am healthier now than I've ever been!  I no longer feel like "her" that woman who never could walk up a flight of stairs without huffing or walking her dogs without feeling like she needed to rest -- and she's only gone around 2 blocks!!

This week's goal:  go to the gym M, T, W and see how I feel with my right leg --- walk the dogs after Tues's gym date and maybe walk the dogs in the evenings on M & W -- cardio seems to really help it so I'm going to see where it takes me.  Still experimenting and that shows I have adapted exercise into my life 24/7.

October 30, 2006, 9:42 am CST

Today's workout

Walked the dogs for 30minutes and I got my gym class later!  Tomorrow is my 6 week weigh-in at the gym and my healthy back class.  My brother says he's coming over too so I'll be making dinner for us both.  If he doesn't, I'll make it and take it to him! 

My 2007 Health Goals are:  (1) lose 10% of my weight & (2) add 2-3 servings of vegetables a day to my diet.  Of the 8 BASICS GOOD HEALTH GOALS, these were the only 2 I still have to work on.  I can't believe it ... however, after 3 years, I've finally made it just these 2! 

Hope you had a good weekend Missy.

October 30, 2006, 8:04 pm CST

Okay .... day 1 of this weeks' experiment ...

I made it to the gym and my rt leg is a little stiff.  I will do tomorrow's gym class & I'm thinking of walking the 1 mile track afterwards so that I can work out the leg muscle. Then I'll come home and walk my dogs if the weather is okay.

My goal is to make it to the Thursday gym class ... 

wish me well!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | Next | Last