Message Boards

Topic : Ways to Exercise in the House

Number of Replies: 2019
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Sunday, September 17, 2006, 12:34:45 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Can't get out of the house due to weather, injury or disability, or just busy watching the kids? Are you trying to lose weight, get in shape, improve flexibility and circulation, or tone your body? Share your tips to exercising without leaving your home.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 31, 2006, 10:02 am CST

Exercising at home ....

In 9 more days I'll be starting another 45-day focus period and I plan on focusing on exercising at home.  My goal is to become a belly dancing teacher and maybe even go so far as getting a degree in Fitness.   I know that I'm 54 years old and it scares me that I'm too old to go after this type of goal; however, I'm not exactly worn out and crippled with arthritis either!  I've never been more fit in my whole life ... 

So, that's my 2007 goal .... develop a teaching routine and then do it. And look into going back to college to become a fitness instructor.

November 3, 2006, 1:18 pm CST

I found the mag MISSY ....

I was at Walmarts today and found the OXYGEN mag ... I'm going to check it out this weekend.

Take care.

November 3, 2006, 2:35 pm CST

exercise

I don't have time to excersie but then again I walk airports which turns into miles.  I also try walking the dogs but then when I get to the place I walk to what do I do with the dog?  I feel bad leaving her outside of the drug store or food store just doesn't seem right.  At 57 I too am going back to college to finish up and get that four year degree.  No one will hire me without that piece of paper.  They don't care that I have over twenty years of experience selling, they just want that paper.  But if that's what it takes I keep trying.  Never give up on stuff for yourself.  You can do what ever you set your mind on.  Isn't that what we teach our kids.  We have to start listening to ourselves. 

November 4, 2006, 6:21 am CST

Walking my dogs ...

Quote From: singer1949

I don't have time to excersie but then again I walk airports which turns into miles.  I also try walking the dogs but then when I get to the place I walk to what do I do with the dog?  I feel bad leaving her outside of the drug store or food store just doesn't seem right.  At 57 I too am going back to college to finish up and get that four year degree.  No one will hire me without that piece of paper.  They don't care that I have over twenty years of experience selling, they just want that paper.  But if that's what it takes I keep trying.  Never give up on stuff for yourself.  You can do what ever you set your mind on.  Isn't that what we teach our kids.  We have to start listening to ourselves. 

I give my dogs "special" walk times ...  especially now that the news is showing people lsoing their dogs to strangers because they are tied up outside a restraurant or store.   That's just too heart breaking for me.

I give my dogs 45 minutes in the summer when I don't have anything plan for the day but a slow easy pace for myself.  They get that cut down if I have to go shopping or something.  In the summer, I can just wake up, put on my walking the dog clothes, and head out the door ... usually before 8:30 a.m.   Then I come home and make breakfast and get ready for the day.  I do eat a banana before walking out the door. 

Now that's it winter, I take the shower and get dress first ... with the school kids out ... I walk them when my hair gets dried.  The 45 minutes walks have been cut way back and that's okay ... at least they get their walk. 

SOmetimes I don't count the walks because they are sniffing or doing their own thing ... I look at it as a gift to them ...  something they truly enjoy.

With the holidays coming up, you might be able to get a part-time job in a new sales place ... to test out if that's something you would enjoy selling.

November 4, 2006, 6:29 am CST

Missy what was your plan?

Quote From: missy77

Geez I had written my post and then had to erase it, I was using the wrong quote!

Now where was i? yeah, congrats on trying to be a fitness instructor, wow you got the bug, you should be proud!

So what do you think of the mag, I know it's more muscle buildint then the other mags, but I just couldn't compare myself to a 24 y/o with no kids! But when I see those 45y/o women look the way they do, I just get inspired!

My slump is so big, I see I have started to gain weight and it's feaking me out, god damn halloween candy, I think I will have to trhow it out!!!!!!! lol

Later, missy

One of the things I've learned on my journey is that I have to have a plan in place ... I too am dealing with the binging with eating and shopping .... I hit a bump and hadn't thought it out exactly which just lead me to hitting the speed bump and just returning to my old ways.  Now, I got a plan on a post-it note and I've put that in my calendar so that when I transfer to my 2007 calendar, my plans go with me.

For me, it's about my birthday which is the 29th of October.  I actually did rather well with the candy stuff ...  I didn't buy 1 bag of it. Howver, I did buy after halloween candy ...  all because of the unplanned speed bump.

It's too late to do anything about it now .. however, next year, I'll have a plan in place ... 

As I work on my fnancial chaos, I'm discovering the remaining eating triggers.  

So next year, what can you do different?  Dr. Phil's WT LOSS SOLUTIONS says there should be a special place in the house for the kids stuff ... nothing says you have to keep all the candy ... have your hubby take it to work and leave it there for others to eat ...    keep whatever amount of candy you know can be eaten ... like 1 piece a day or something ...  put it in te special space that you will learn not to go -- a special cabinet for the chips, cookies, candy ...   That's Key 3, Step 1.

I'm going to took it over between the workshop and dance show tonite ... I have an hour to fill ... it looked pretty good from what I say of it.  And we all need to see someone with our bodies getting it together at our age.  It's what lacks ... I am always cutting stuff out of the papers and mags ... my last one was about a 78 woman who does yoga and pilates for her health.   That's just amazing isn't it?

November 4, 2006, 10:22 am CST

I did it!

It took me a whole week to finally wake up early and take a shower and then wait to walk the dogs ... no CONFLICT occurred!  It was wonderful ... now for me to do the same for tomorrow! 

Goal for the upcoming week:  4x at the gym, walk my dogs every day that it's nice out there!

November 4, 2006, 6:26 pm CST

Just starting

Hi,

This is my first time to the message board.  I'm 49 and morbidly obese.  I know I have to start somewhere and am very motivated.  I'm at the point that I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired!!!  I'm on a very fixed income due to an auto accident so I don't have money for a gym membership, personal trainer or expensive foods.  Don't get me wrong.  I'm not complaining, just explaining.  When finances are so limited, where and how do you begin?  I am also dealing with a chronic back injury due to the auto accident so I don't know what exercises I can safely do.  I really am wanting some advice.

November 5, 2006, 4:14 am CST

Hi and welcome ...

Quote From: oatdogsmom

Hi,

This is my first time to the message board.  I'm 49 and morbidly obese.  I know I have to start somewhere and am very motivated.  I'm at the point that I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired!!!  I'm on a very fixed income due to an auto accident so I don't have money for a gym membership, personal trainer or expensive foods.  Don't get me wrong.  I'm not complaining, just explaining.  When finances are so limited, where and how do you begin?  I am also dealing with a chronic back injury due to the auto accident so I don't know what exercises I can safely do.  I really am wanting some advice.

Right now, it seems that exercise is going to be out of the question until you can talk to your doctor about it.  If you still have health insurance, maybe he can refer you to a physical therapist who can guide you. You might have to start really slow like make walking to the corner and back to your home.  (and when I first started, I barely made it around the block without huffing and puffing and needing to sit down -- now, I'm able to go longer distances).

Have you ever checked out Dr. Phil's WEIGHT LOSS SOLUTIONS?  It's what I committed 100% to adapt in my life.  Because you are on a fixed income ... you can see if your local library has it ... I know that my library allows me to borrow a book up to 3 weeks and then another few weeks and then another few weeks.  That should give you enough time to read the book thoroughly to see what life style changes you have to make in your life.

For me, it's taken over 2 years of practicing Keys 3 &4 over and over again ...  sometimes I get derailed; however, never for long and because I know where I left off, I can do what it takes to get myself back on track.

November 5, 2006, 10:30 am CST

Thanks Marcia

Quote From: marcia52

Right now, it seems that exercise is going to be out of the question until you can talk to your doctor about it.  If you still have health insurance, maybe he can refer you to a physical therapist who can guide you. You might have to start really slow like make walking to the corner and back to your home.  (and when I first started, I barely made it around the block without huffing and puffing and needing to sit down -- now, I'm able to go longer distances).

Have you ever checked out Dr. Phil's WEIGHT LOSS SOLUTIONS?  It's what I committed 100% to adapt in my life.  Because you are on a fixed income ... you can see if your local library has it ... I know that my library allows me to borrow a book up to 3 weeks and then another few weeks and then another few weeks.  That should give you enough time to read the book thoroughly to see what life style changes you have to make in your life.

For me, it's taken over 2 years of practicing Keys 3 &4 over and over again ...  sometimes I get derailed; however, never for long and because I know where I left off, I can do what it takes to get myself back on track.

Thanks so much for the advice.  I was not aware that a physical therapist could help with exercise regimes.  I do have Medicare and Medicaid so this suggestion is do-able.  It's difficult when finances are so limited and you want and need to make such dramatic changes, but the money only stretches so far.  When I've discussed things with my doctor, they just say "Yes, you need to lose weight."  Duh!!!  I already KNEW that (lol).  What I needed was advice on HOW!!!  When I spoke to a nutritionist, they just said, have x number of meats, veggies, fruit and dairy.  When you don't know how to combine them, and what foods fit into your budget, again, that's where I run into a brick wall.  On my budget, I could eat like a nutritional Queen for a week, but what do I do for the other 3 weeks in the month.  It's a bit frustrating because I know the answers have to be out there, finding them is the problem.  It's such a delicate dance.  I'm not going to give up though, because quitters never win, and I'm a winner. 

If anyone has any additional ideas as to how to work around a tight budget for nutritional foods, please let me know.  I'm sure that I'm not the only one in this situation and you'd be helping alot of people.  Thanks so much, in advance for the advice.

November 5, 2006, 3:11 pm CST

Check out Dr. Phil's WEIGHT LOSS SOLUTIONS

Quote From: oatdogsmom

Thanks so much for the advice.  I was not aware that a physical therapist could help with exercise regimes.  I do have Medicare and Medicaid so this suggestion is do-able.  It's difficult when finances are so limited and you want and need to make such dramatic changes, but the money only stretches so far.  When I've discussed things with my doctor, they just say "Yes, you need to lose weight."  Duh!!!  I already KNEW that (lol).  What I needed was advice on HOW!!!  When I spoke to a nutritionist, they just said, have x number of meats, veggies, fruit and dairy.  When you don't know how to combine them, and what foods fit into your budget, again, that's where I run into a brick wall.  On my budget, I could eat like a nutritional Queen for a week, but what do I do for the other 3 weeks in the month.  It's a bit frustrating because I know the answers have to be out there, finding them is the problem.  It's such a delicate dance.  I'm not going to give up though, because quitters never win, and I'm a winner. 

If anyone has any additional ideas as to how to work around a tight budget for nutritional foods, please let me know.  I'm sure that I'm not the only one in this situation and you'd be helping alot of people.  Thanks so much, in advance for the advice.

That's the book that has done the most for me.  It gives very specific steps on what changes you have to do to adapt a healthier life style.  For example, I too can not afford the "name brand" health foods; however, now the stores are beginning to carry their name brand nutional foods.

I started with adding fresh fruit to my diet.  (check out Key 3, Step 2)

I also get my bread from the day old store ...  the bread can have 3-4 days to go and I'm paying 1/2 the price or even less. 

And if it's money and you can't do the above ... how about changing your portion sizes, learning to eat the 3 meals, 2 snacks.

Losing weight isn't about the food ... it's about the whole life style.

I'm not in a hurry to get there.  Like Dr. Phil says in his book, whenever I look at the total weight I have to lose, I'll just get depressed and void out.  However, if I just take it just 1 step at a time, I'll be okay. 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | Next | Last