Message Boards

Topic : Ways to Exercise in the House

Number of Replies: 2019
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Sunday, September 17, 2006, 12:34:45 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Can't get out of the house due to weather, injury or disability, or just busy watching the kids? Are you trying to lose weight, get in shape, improve flexibility and circulation, or tone your body? Share your tips to exercising without leaving your home.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 5, 2006, 6:37 pm CST

Good Practical Advice

Quote From: marcia52

That's the book that has done the most for me.  It gives very specific steps on what changes you have to do to adapt a healthier life style.  For example, I too can not afford the "name brand" health foods; however, now the stores are beginning to carry their name brand nutional foods.

I started with adding fresh fruit to my diet.  (check out Key 3, Step 2)

I also get my bread from the day old store ...  the bread can have 3-4 days to go and I'm paying 1/2 the price or even less. 

And if it's money and you can't do the above ... how about changing your portion sizes, learning to eat the 3 meals, 2 snacks.

Losing weight isn't about the food ... it's about the whole life style.

I'm not in a hurry to get there.  Like Dr. Phil says in his book, whenever I look at the total weight I have to lose, I'll just get depressed and void out.  However, if I just take it just 1 step at a time, I'll be okay. 

Thanks again Marcie.  That's the type of info I need.  Simple, easy, and inexpensive tips that I can work into my life.   You are such a darlin' and a wealth of information.  I appreciate it so much.

November 5, 2006, 6:46 pm CST

your welcome ....

Quote From: oatdogsmom

Thanks again Marcie.  That's the type of info I need.  Simple, easy, and inexpensive tips that I can work into my life.   You are such a darlin' and a wealth of information.  I appreciate it so much.

let us know what the physical therapist says about exercise ... movement .... 

and you are welcome ....

November 5, 2006, 6:54 pm CST

Oxygen Mag ...

Okay, I took it to the drumming workshop yesterday and laughed at out loud ... a 12-page ad for supplements .. yep, it definitely is more for the body builder and I liked it. I got some really neat help from it ....  (got the December issue).   I liked some of the exercises ... and that the publisher is a male didn't hurt it one bit.

I did have a laugh at all the body builders in the magazine and the "contests" they go to.   I laugh because I think at 54 it's a little too late for me to see "flat abs" --  I'm just now checking out other women bodies to see how their skin hangs on them .. like their underarms and of course, let's not forget the chin!

I've been fat since before I was 40 ...  I gained weight when I quit cigarettes back in 1978 and then really packed it on when Chuck had his mom move into our home (she had MS and got thrown out of her nursing home because her accountant stole her money or some sort of crap like that!) -- she didn't like me ... and I was the caregiver when he was too drunk ... hey, I'm going off line aren't I?

Anyway, I'm 54 ...  that's 14+ years that my body has been stretched out of shape ... so I don't see it ever getting to look like a body builder.

Getting derailed is something that happens.  That's why you have to put a goal out there, put it on your calendar, and get yourself an accountability partner.   It's also why I committed to doing Dr. PHil's WEIGHT LOSS SOLUTIONS ... He provided me with the mega goal (exercise) and then provided me with the goals like cardio, strength, type, etc.  And then I just had to come up with the list of tasks.

Write down in a journal (a notebook) about all the reasons you have for not exercising ....  you will have to give yourself some time to do this in because you may not be able to hear them at first ... just keep trying ... then starting with the 1st one, tackle it ... that's a good way to figure out what your tasks are to obtain your goal of working out at home.

November 6, 2006, 9:58 am CST

I'm rev'ing up to my new goal!!

Like I've been posting, I'm going to focus the 45-days to exercising in the house or at home.  It's winter time and there are going to be days I won't be able to walk my dogs (my cardio) or go to the gym (my strength / flexibility).  So I can now sit down and start making plans to set up my winter exercise habits which I can use all year long.

Like this morning, I kept having this crazy tape go off that I had to wear my head scarf, gloves and coat.  I set out and changed to my flannel shirt ... left everyting else home for Harry's & Sassy's walk and we did the full 45-minutes.  I realized that I need to simply figure out when I need to wear what type of winter wear.  So I got me a list going.

I really love walking the dogs because it allows me to just think things out. Like I realized that my dance is cardio too -- I could do dance for 45 minutes ... DUH why haven't I ever thought that!  Then I heard the little tape go off that I couldn't do 45 minutes on my own ... then I remembered I wanted to be a dance teacher so I can work on doing warmups for the students and then I can practice the RED ELVIS routine 2x ... the duet & trio verisons.  Then I could work on pulling togeher my own routine ... DUH .... 

Well, Saturday starts the whole new 45-day focus period ... as always, it's going to be a little stressfilled because I have to spend a lot of time and energy LISTENING TO MYSELF and then challenging it with the IS IT TRUE??   THEN DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT ....

Missy, I hope you were able to get out and enjoy yourself out side.   It snowed Friday and Sun & today it's been really wonderful!!!

November 7, 2006, 4:34 pm CST

No gym today Missy ....

I had a rough night last night ...  my leg was stiff and although not painful, it was enough to know it was there.  

I did the treadmill before gym class and I couldn't make it thru the full hour. I did the treadmill afterwards.  Both times for 10 minutes each. 

So I didn't go to the gym today or walk my dogs (raining) -- tomorrow, I'm going to do the class again and then do the treadmill afterwards.  It felt so much better when I did that.  Then I'm planning on doing Thursday morning's class.

I'm so glad I'm not giving up ... I really do want to do the yoga / pilates class.  ANd I'm gong to try and make an appt with a doctor that specializes in sports medicine. I want to get help cause it just doesn't seem to be going away quickly. 

November 8, 2006, 8:39 am CST

Finally called the doctor's office

Quote From: missy77

Good for you, don't give up! You seem to know what you want!

I know what I want, just not getting to get get, bad huh!!

I know what you mean by not going away quickly, I've had a spraingned ankle now for 6 months!!

I called my doctor's office about my leg. It's been 6 weeks since I've hurt it ... it's gotten a little better .. but it just isn't going away.

Today, I'm walking my dogs and then going to the gym.  I'll do the 10minutes on the treadmill after gym class and see how my leg works during class.  Just one experiment after another.

Missy, is that why you don't do the treadmill, because of your ankle?  What other type of exercises did your phsycial therapist suggest you do?  Do you do them?  Are there more you could add to your at-home routine?

It's been awhile since you posted about doing your exercises and I was just wondering where you were with them.

November 9, 2006, 3:46 pm CST

Hi Missy ....

well I had quit, giving excuses all the time, but xmas is around the corner!!! Gotta get in shape!!

I don't like the treadmill because it pounds on your joints, I love the elleptical, your're feet don't get off the ground so it doesn't hurt! try the elleptical at your gym, I'm sure you'll love it!!

No, I haven't seen a physical therepist, don't believe in them, but I do need to go see my doctor to get an xray of my ankle, it's more than just a sprain, I'm sure of that!

I have been waiting for my husband to finally agree to buy a home gym, wich will cost less then paying for a gym membership and a babbysitter! But unfotunatly men are stupid lol. gotta love them!

So I will stop saying I'm doing it and not do it, and "just do it" ha ha ha!

Missy, start collecting information on them ... do you have a fitness equipment store in your town?  In your community?  Go on the web and check them out .. pull together the flyers and stuff ...  I believe that Sears sells them as well.   Then leave the stack around where he can check it out.  Men buying exercise equipment is more about "getting the best deal" to meet their needs ... 

And be sure to discuss where you need to put it ... I mean, if he's agreed to buy it, then you are not doing anything like harping on him -- you are just discussing the "big purchase". 

Tell him what you are looking for .. what your needs are .. discuss his needs as well.  But don't harp on it ... then you'll never get it.

Too bad you don't like physcial therapists ... I went to one on my feet and it was a really good experience.  He gave me 3 different exercises and they are still with me.   I highly recommend them to everyone .. I only went to him once and I could have continued to go; however, he taught me what I needed and I was able to continue on my life.

I hope your ankle isn't broken or sprained really bad ... that means you have to figure out an exercise program doing something different.

And getting into exercise is all about listening to what you are saying and then tackling each thing and challenging it.  It's like when I think about my exercise room ... I got to make the pink curtains, I got to get the DVD/VCR/TV working, I got to clean the floor and dust eveything off; I go to .....      

I know exactly what the list is ... I also knwo that right now, I have othre things that are more important -- like getting my foot togeher.  I am walking my dogs, I am going to the gym 2x a week; I am now taking 400-600 mg of IBROFEN every 8 hours per the doctor ...   Yep, life gets in the way at times .... that's why I'm not beating myself up right now ... cause I've listened to my exercise tapes and realized that right now I just don't have the time.  I figure in another 2 weeeks, I just might be able to get up there and start doing stuff in there.

November 11, 2006, 7:53 am CST

Congrats ....

So I bought my home gym tonite. It's great, we even bought a leg press to go with it! I'm so exited! houraa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

I'm glad you went out and got the gym ...  and it probably has all sorts of exercises you can do with it ...   and your OXYGEN mag also has probably given you all sorts of routines to follow too!

I had a bone density test done last year and my lower back is weak. That's why I've chosen to take the healthy back class and now the yoga/pilates class.

My goal for the upcoming week:  all 4 classes at long last.  And walking the dogs at least 3x -- with the weather being rainy, I know that it's nearly impossible for me to walk them every day. However, when the weather is nice, I'm going for it.  I'm working on the only issue I have ... DO I HAVE THE RIGHT CLOTHES TO WEAR.  So I'm tracking the weather on the days I do walk.  I'm not sure when I'm going to have to start wearing my winter coat -- and that's okay ... I'm just glad that I'm going to be able to work thru the barriers I've built to get there.

Then my next goal is to work out my spring exercise routine .... 

November 11, 2006, 4:52 pm CST

Okay, I'm really close to finally pulling it all together!

I'm still in recovery mode from my last LAPSE and it's been a godsend really.  Knowing now that Ihave to review exactly where I am and where I want to be with all my goals has given me some wonderful insight.

Today, I realized that I'm right on with my winter exercise regime.  I thought previously that I was okay and that the only season I still have to address is the SPRING / FALL -- the rainy season.  I got 3 different layers of clothing to wear.  I have boots, my nice walking shoes and my trashy ones for when the ground is wet.  I have my sweats and I got socks.   I have ear muffs, heavy gloves and driving gloves. I have a head scarf and I plan on making myself a heavier hat to wear too. 

I feel guilty when I don't walk the dogs on rainy or bad days ... that's cause I was able to walk them nearly every day this summer.  I'm just having to switch out from 1 season to the next. That's a totally new experience for me.

So now, I can work on the kind of workout I want to do at home. I really want to do pilates at home and yoga too ...  I would like to eventually develop my own exercise routines ....  you know do my own exercise music and select exercises to do.  I have a really good idea about how to go about it and my one gym instructor uses something similiar -- so I know I'm on track here.

Finally, I can begin to work on this ... it's going to snow soon ... I know it's going to so I can do my 1st at home exercise routine that day!  Isn't that the coolest. I knew it was going to happen eventually .... my eventual goal is to do my own workouts at home so that I can have a more flexible schedule when I need to. However, I still want to go to the gym when my schedule is normal.

Missy, what are your plans for using your new gym machine?  what kind of exercises can you do on it?

November 13, 2006, 3:41 pm CST

HEY MISSY !!!!

I did it       I DID IT!!!     Today at my gym class, I finally was able to lift my butt off the matt and get my legs over my head!  I was so happy that when I left there, I went to the grocery store and bought me a bag of oranges --- can you believe 3 lbs for $5.

I've wanted to do that movement since 2004 -- I was the only person in Pilates who couldn't do it!  Now, I did it!  I'm so proud of me.

Today, I walked my dogs and went to my gym class.

Tomorrow, I plan on going to my gym class in the morning and then staying out there for the Gym's Open House and then later attend the health fair.  They're offering membership to dental & eye glass plans. I want to see what they are.

Wednesday, my car goes into the shop so I may attempt to do a pilates tape if I can't make it to the gym.

How are you doing with your new machine.

First | Prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Next | Last