Message Boards

Topic : Ways to Exercise in the House

Number of Replies: 2019
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Sunday, September 17, 2006, 12:34:45 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Can't get out of the house due to weather, injury or disability, or just busy watching the kids? Are you trying to lose weight, get in shape, improve flexibility and circulation, or tone your body? Share your tips to exercising without leaving your home.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 15, 2006, 11:13 am CST

I'm back

I have been so busy trying to potty train my son, which hasn't worked that well. I'm also looking for a job.  I have been eating more, healthy foods (but not too much). I'm doing my exercises but now I've started jogging 1 mile and walking 2. I break it up like jog 1/4 mile and walk 1/2 mile until I do 3.  The pilates video is hurting my abs. It's definately tightening up my stomach. I've lost 20 lbs as of today!!!  Since starting September 12th, but I didn't start diet until couple weeks after that.  My boyfriend is still going to gym everymorning I believe I inspired him.  So, we are supporting each other.  The Zoloft is definately working, I feel so happy and optimistic.  I'm excited to look for a job.  Before I wouldn't leave the house.  But, I will miss my son when I go to work.  I've been at home with him since he was born.  He'll be 3 on dec.9 th. and he can start preschool. I think he'll like it. Now if only I can get him potty trained any advice????  So my goal is to be at 115 by march 30 th (that's my boyfriend's b day). I was 181 now 161. Thanks to you guys for being suppportive and giving me someone to talk to.  I also can sleep now, the doctor gave me double the amount I was taking of zoloft 100 mg now. So, I take it before bed and sleep good. NO more weird dreams, and my boyfriend (chris) says he can definately tell a difference, I'm not a bitch anymore.  I did try a little of Lance's halloween candy, Missy I see where you are coming from  I thought I was going to have to throw it out, as well.  Marcia did you find a job? I've sent out 20 resumes in past couple weeks.  I've applied for the hospital they do cna classes and hire you for them. They start in feb. I wish they would hurry and let me know.  I got a couple interviews but haven't heard any back.                     

November 16, 2006, 10:45 am CST

I love pilates!!

Quote From: missy77

Holly cow, right over your head wow! congrats, it's not easy!

Well, they are comming tomorow, 4:00 pm to install it! I just cannot wait anymore!

How do you like pilates?

I took pilates a few years ago and loved the energy it gave me!  I have actually thought about becoming a pilates teacher ...  I really love the yoga/pilates now.  I love how I can stretch my body before and after doing pilates.   It has really helped me to walk straighter.

Have you ever done it?

Wow, tomorrow, you'll be writing about how you like the machine and how you are going to use it ...  is it all strength?  so that means you have to spread out your routine so that you give your muscles a 48 period to rest otherwise it just damages them. 

November 16, 2006, 10:49 am CST

Welcome back Steph ...

Quote From: stephjt0106

I have been so busy trying to potty train my son, which hasn't worked that well. I'm also looking for a job.  I have been eating more, healthy foods (but not too much). I'm doing my exercises but now I've started jogging 1 mile and walking 2. I break it up like jog 1/4 mile and walk 1/2 mile until I do 3.  The pilates video is hurting my abs. It's definately tightening up my stomach. I've lost 20 lbs as of today!!!  Since starting September 12th, but I didn't start diet until couple weeks after that.  My boyfriend is still going to gym everymorning I believe I inspired him.  So, we are supporting each other.  The Zoloft is definately working, I feel so happy and optimistic.  I'm excited to look for a job.  Before I wouldn't leave the house.  But, I will miss my son when I go to work.  I've been at home with him since he was born.  He'll be 3 on dec.9 th. and he can start preschool. I think he'll like it. Now if only I can get him potty trained any advice????  So my goal is to be at 115 by march 30 th (that's my boyfriend's b day). I was 181 now 161. Thanks to you guys for being suppportive and giving me someone to talk to.  I also can sleep now, the doctor gave me double the amount I was taking of zoloft 100 mg now. So, I take it before bed and sleep good. NO more weird dreams, and my boyfriend (chris) says he can definately tell a difference, I'm not a bitch anymore.  I did try a little of Lance's halloween candy, Missy I see where you are coming from  I thought I was going to have to throw it out, as well.  Marcia did you find a job? I've sent out 20 resumes in past couple weeks.  I've applied for the hospital they do cna classes and hire you for them. They start in feb. I wish they would hurry and let me know.  I got a couple interviews but haven't heard any back.                     

I am going on an interview on Monday at the local community college ... I'm not rushing it .. I figure that when it's right, I'll be hired.   Until then, I'm not rushing anything going on in my life.  I figure that I'm being given the gift of NOW to work on me.

I walked my dogs today without a coat or hat or gloves!  My back door is opened too!  It's really nice outside ... they say it's going to snow this weekend ... go figure.

I'm glad you are losing weight ... and that you are seeing your boyfriend going back to the gym.  That's just soo cool!  Staying healthy for the baby is what it takes.

Which "weight loss program" are you doing?

November 16, 2006, 11:17 am CST

Ways to Exercise in the House

Quote From: marcia52

I am going on an interview on Monday at the local community college ... I'm not rushing it .. I figure that when it's right, I'll be hired.   Until then, I'm not rushing anything going on in my life.  I figure that I'm being given the gift of NOW to work on me.

I walked my dogs today without a coat or hat or gloves!  My back door is opened too!  It's really nice outside ... they say it's going to snow this weekend ... go figure.

I'm glad you are losing weight ... and that you are seeing your boyfriend going back to the gym.  That's just soo cool!  Staying healthy for the baby is what it takes.

Which "weight loss program" are you doing?

We had a lot of rain here, in Kentucky, did you up there? I think they said we might get some snow this sunday.  One day it's nice the next cold.  I started on the treadmill  for a week before I started Dr. Phil's book.  After you told me all that stuff, I started following the book.  He says 2-3 starches, so I only eat 2.  I have finally got rid of the headaches from giving up cokes and sugar. Potatoes, pizza, and cokes were my problem.  I'm still craving fries. What kind of dogs do you have? We are going to look about getting my son a Golden Retriever for christmas.

November 16, 2006, 5:20 pm CST

It's raining right now ....

We had a lot of rain here, in Kentucky, did you up there? I think they said we might get some snow this sunday.  One day it's nice the next cold.  I started on the treadmill  for a week before I started Dr. Phil's book.  After you told me all that stuff, I started following the book.  He says 2-3 starches, so I only eat 2.  I have finally got rid of the headaches from giving up cokes and sugar. Potatoes, pizza, and cokes were my problem.  I'm still craving fries. What kind of dogs do you have? We are going to look about getting my son a Golden Retriever for christmas.

The storms that were further south are now moving further north ... we too are expecting snow this weekend ... but today, I walked my dogs without a coat on ...  it was in the 60's!

Isn't that book great!  I spent quite a bit of time reading articles and watching the news to make sure he wasn't just pulling my leg; however, all the KEYS are exactly right on ....  you have to change your life style to lose weight ... for me it's been a hard road because I was really messed up mentally with my thinking.  Couldn't get out of Key 1, 2 & 4.

You don't have to give them up ... plan them and then learn how to eat them in moderation ...   I love McDonald fries ...   I have to have them at least once every couple of months when I crave them.  Yep, over time, you do lose your taste to them.

Oh yeah, one thing I've learned is that to detox your self from sweets -- it takes about 3 days ... so if you find yourself caving into sweets, just remember the time it will take you to detox. It's hard ... cause the body is addicted to it and will fight for something sweet.  Keep lots of fruit around when you are detoxing.  I currently have bananas, oranges, & apples.

I have 3 dogs ...  Zeke is a Shepherd/Chow Chow, Sassy is a Heinz 57 -- has chocolate domerman pincher, pit bull and not sure what else.  and Harry, the 85-lb baby, is a Old English Shepherd / Chow Chow mix.   Got 4 cats too.

The golden will be a nice gift for your son ...   they are really fun dogs to play with and be buddies with.

November 16, 2006, 5:22 pm CST

It's a new toy for everyone!

Got it!! he's done installing my gym, it looks great beside my elleptical and free weights!! Too bad you cant post pictures on this site!! I'm so exited, but I can't use it yet, my kids won't let me!! They want to try it first, I guess I'll wait t'ill they are in bed!!
Well, now you know you have to make a schedule up so that everyone can use it ...  just because it's there doesn't mean you can do it every day ...  check out what a circuit training is all about ... then everyone can workout together if you like ...  that way everyone will learn more about exercise and doing it right is really important!

November 16, 2006, 5:24 pm CST

Check out books ...

Sounds funny but works for some. Put cherios in the toilet and have him try to hit them with the pee!! The best thing you can do is to not pressur him or else he will just take longer just to piss you off! The only thing a child has controll over is whatever goes in and out! If they know it gets to you, they'll use it to the core!

Good luck, Missy

I know that Dr. Phil actually has done stuff on potty training .. probably can do a serach for the information ... I also remember a woman who wrote a book that will get them potty trained really fast ...  check your local library ...  I think she made it a game ... 

November 17, 2006, 7:38 am CST

Need Help

That's the kind of dog I have, and I run a day care, she's really good wiht children, good choice! I hope you're ready for hair, hair, hair!!!

If you still crave fries, make you own, use sweet potato, put a bit of olive oil on them (put them in a bowl, sprinkle olive oil and mix) add chilly powder and cook in oven at 350 until cooked (about 15-20min)

Thanks for that, I will try it. I'm learning to cook. I'm so tired of the same things.  When I was living at home my mom did all the cooking so now I'm trying to figure it out.  I think we found a breeder and if the puppies are not show quality we will have one at christmas.  Maybe you can help me. I'm working on potty training and it is not going well. It's like he doesnt know when he's going to go. So, I take him and he don't go but as soon as he gets off potty he pees. I'm trying underwear because I believe pullups aren't letting him feel the wetness.  He'll be 3 next month and I'm trying to do this now because he is going to start preschool soon. And is it easier sitting on potty or should he go standing up first? He always turns and sits on potty.  How did you do it with yours and the daycare?

November 17, 2006, 7:39 am CST

Ways to Exercise in the House

Thanks for that, I will try it. I'm learning to cook. I'm so tired of the same things.  When I was living at home my mom did all the cooking so now I'm trying to figure it out.  I think we found a breeder and if the puppies are not show quality we will have one at christmas.  Maybe you can help me. I'm working on potty training and it is not going well. It's like he doesnt know when he's going to go. So, I take him and he don't go but as soon as he gets off potty he pees. I'm trying underwear because I believe pullups aren't letting him feel the wetness.  He'll be 3 next month and I'm trying to do this now because he is going to start preschool soon. And is it easier sitting on potty or should he go standing up first? He always turns and sits on potty.  How did you do it with yours and the daycare?
sorry I  didn't see that you had already wrote me back

November 17, 2006, 2:38 pm CST

Hurt Me Bob uses circuit training ....

When I used to go to the gym "nautilus plus" My trainer actually offered me job to help train others cause I learned real fast and brought my friend and trained her cause she had no money to pay a trainer, so I made her a routine and when my trainer saw it, she was amazed at how good and accurate it was( For someone with no schooling in that department) But to get the job i had to go to school and the hours, I did not like!

I don't like circuit training, it's not for me, See the women in the oxygen mag, that's what I had and want back! Can't get that wiht circuit training. I do intense weight lifting and cardio. I love the rush it gives me!

Circuit training is cardio & strength ...  it's doing them as a routine ...   treadmill or running, then machine work, then doing hand weights.  

What do you see it as?

First | Prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | Next | Last