Message Boards

Topic : Ways to Exercise in the House

Number of Replies: 2019
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Sunday, September 17, 2006, 12:34:45 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Can't get out of the house due to weather, injury or disability, or just busy watching the kids? Are you trying to lose weight, get in shape, improve flexibility and circulation, or tone your body? Share your tips to exercising without leaving your home.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 17, 2008, 12:03 pm CDT

fibromyalgia

Quote From: kat_62

I have fibromyalgia and most days I hurt so bad I don't want to move. I am gaining weight like crazy. I need a way to lost weight around my pain, or something that would make my pain ease up a little. Any ideas. I tried walking, but I have to walk so slow or my feet start hurting so bad. In need of help.......... Any ideas will be taken seriously.....

I also have fibromyalgia (47 years old).  I have a lot of days where I am hurting.  Most of my "hurting" days are because I have over-done it the day before, and I pay big time.  Exercise is tough when in pain...and the slightest amount of over-exertion seems to magnify the pain...so us people with fibromyalgia have to be careful when starting an exercise program (which I have yet to do)...

I even find a massage unbearable...but the chiropractor is a life-saver!! 

As far as the weight gain goes...some of it comes with a sedentary life, but if you haven't had a full medical check-up and complete blood work-up, that would be the place to start...

My extremem weight gain turned out to be thyroid problems...I am still fighting it...I had my thyroid surgically removed because of nodules, and now it is taking time to get the medication to the right level...in the mean time, I am certainly not losing any weight...

September 17, 2008, 12:11 pm CDT

bipolar and weight gain

Quote From: clsweightloss

I have been over weight all my life, I have also been Bipolar/depressed. Many people don't understand what bipolar is or how it effects someone. Even on medication troubling days with up and many down, what many people don't know is that bipolar also has effects on your body. You have pains everywhere, legs, back, head... everything. Some of the time it doesn't matter if you have taken your meds. The thing I have a hard time with is being motivated. I do not want to use my mental disorder as the reason but that is what hold my back. I has held my back from working and just plain living. My doctor has said that losing weight would help with my bipolar. I just cant get motivated for more then a day. What could help me motivate myself?

In addition to fibromyalgia, mentioned in my previous post, I also have bipolar disorder.  I haven't heard of bipolar disorder itself causing weight gain, however, many of the medications to treat bipolar disorder cause weight gain...I was on Risperdal for 9 months and gained 50 pounds!!

Motivation is very difficult for me at times...when I am depressed, I just can't get organized, and feel no motivation to get anything done...as a result, my house is a mess, and I rarely exercise...

I am on disability for the bipolar disorder, because it has kept me from working...I just stresses me out to the point that my bipolar moods get really out of hand...even with medications...

Also, with the thyroid problems, I found out that thyroid levels greatly affect bipolar moods...and also cause weight gain...

Have you had a complete medical check-up lately?  Ask your doctor for a full blood work-up...there are many factors that general doctors are unaware of...too much calcium is a brain irritant, so that level should be checked...zinc levels affect moods, and the thyroid...high or low...really affects moods...and metabolism...high and low thyroid levels can both cause weight gain...

If you find something to motivate you, let me know...I want some too...I have a whole lot on my docket right now...I am a volunteer for Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, and the high school band...I do a lot of avoidance of the routine chores...I can do the "projects", but the routine seems to be left un-done...laundry sitting in baskets...or in the hamper...stuff all over the dining room table, living room table, and kitchen cupboard...I don't even want anybody to come over because I am so embarrassed about the mess...and I just don't know where to start...all of the areas are calling out...shouting at me...

So I understand where you're coming from...Becky

September 18, 2008, 5:33 am CDT

Hi Lady ...

Quote From: mustbecrazy

I also have fibromyalgia (47 years old).  I have a lot of days where I am hurting.  Most of my "hurting" days are because I have over-done it the day before, and I pay big time.  Exercise is tough when in pain...and the slightest amount of over-exertion seems to magnify the pain...so us people with fibromyalgia have to be careful when starting an exercise program (which I have yet to do)...

I even find a massage unbearable...but the chiropractor is a life-saver!! 

As far as the weight gain goes...some of it comes with a sedentary life, but if you haven't had a full medical check-up and complete blood work-up, that would be the place to start...

My extremem weight gain turned out to be thyroid problems...I am still fighting it...I had my thyroid surgically removed because of nodules, and now it is taking time to get the medication to the right level...in the mean time, I am certainly not losing any weight...

Glad to see you still hanging in there ...  how long did the doctor say it's going to take to get your thyroid meds working for you - it's already been a few months. 

How was scout camp?  Did you have a good time?

September 18, 2008, 9:27 am CDT

Hi Marcia

Quote From: marcia52

Glad to see you still hanging in there ...  how long did the doctor say it's going to take to get your thyroid meds working for you - it's already been a few months. 

How was scout camp?  Did you have a good time?

There is no estimate of time for getting the thyroid medication adjusted to where it needs to be.  My last test showed that the levels still weren't going up like the doc wants them to.  I am tested every 6 weeks, and they adjust the meds accordingly.

The Cub Scout camps were great!!  Day camp was lots of fun, with a Webelos overnighter.  Resident camp was a blast...middle son and I were on staff...I was in charge of the little brothers and sisters of the Cub Scouts...fun fun fun...We did lots of crafts and tea parties...(it was alll sisters this year)...We were up at resident camp for 11 days...training, set-up, plus two 4-day sessions.  It was the best-run I've ever seen it...

Oldest son comes home from culinary school pretty soon...he will be doing his restaurant experience externship locally, working under an experienced chef.  He still doesn't have a place lined up though...I'm getting worried about that...

In addition to Cub Scouts, we are also involved with Boy Scouts...our youngest son is in his last year of Cub Scouts, as a Webelos, and our middle son is a Boy Scout...we have been doing some fun things with the troop...a couple of hikes, and a campout...and meetings every week, where they learn new things.

And, I'm doing my usual "laundry exercises"...never ends...

How have you been?  How's the chat board going?

Becky

September 19, 2008, 8:39 am CDT

frusterated

Hi I am 47 female and have slight cerebal palsy and trying to excercise but recently fall whn I try to excercise. Can anyone give me  tips that would prevent this?

September 19, 2008, 9:37 am CDT

Hi Becky ...

Quote From: mustbecrazy

There is no estimate of time for getting the thyroid medication adjusted to where it needs to be.  My last test showed that the levels still weren't going up like the doc wants them to.  I am tested every 6 weeks, and they adjust the meds accordingly.

The Cub Scout camps were great!!  Day camp was lots of fun, with a Webelos overnighter.  Resident camp was a blast...middle son and I were on staff...I was in charge of the little brothers and sisters of the Cub Scouts...fun fun fun...We did lots of crafts and tea parties...(it was alll sisters this year)...We were up at resident camp for 11 days...training, set-up, plus two 4-day sessions.  It was the best-run I've ever seen it...

Oldest son comes home from culinary school pretty soon...he will be doing his restaurant experience externship locally, working under an experienced chef.  He still doesn't have a place lined up though...I'm getting worried about that...

In addition to Cub Scouts, we are also involved with Boy Scouts...our youngest son is in his last year of Cub Scouts, as a Webelos, and our middle son is a Boy Scout...we have been doing some fun things with the troop...a couple of hikes, and a campout...and meetings every week, where they learn new things.

And, I'm doing my usual "laundry exercises"...never ends...

How have you been?  How's the chat board going?

Becky

I'm glad you enjoyed camp ... that's something that really energizes you.  Sorry that it's taking so long for you to get the meds worked out. I know that I had a hard time myself when I first started my hyperthyroid meds.

I stopped posting here .. my posts were sounding so boring!  I walked the dogs, went swimming, etc.  I finally got a good exercise regime going ... now, I'm focusing on dealing with Keys 1, 2 & 4 using Judith Beck's THE BECK DIET SOLUTION .. it's not actually about dieting where she gives you a food plan .. she's just teaching you cognitive therapy techniques.  It's been rather intense. I'm practicing eating at the table mindfully right now, and I've been able to name a craving and handle it!  really awesome for me.

MB stopped posting and so did Linda ... I'm glad you came back.  I kept the link open hoping one of you guys would return.

September 19, 2008, 9:39 am CDT

Same advice I gave another CP

Quote From: talkygirl

Hi I am 47 female and have slight cerebal palsy and trying to excercise but recently fall whn I try to excercise. Can anyone give me  tips that would prevent this?
Check your area out to see if there is a pool.  They have water walking and water exercises which you can do.  Falling is a big problem and it does hurt.  You can't fall in water.  She's loving it!  says it's the best advice anyone gave her! 

December 17, 2008, 4:51 pm CST

Ways to Exercise in the House

Quote From: jettav

That is a great accomplishment and I am sure  every one he knows is proud of him.  Keep encouraging and loving him and he will keep at it.

Around here, with two active little ones, we dance to our music and I am always going up and down the stairs. I also have an old exercise bike that I will get on at times, I used to exercise to an exercise video, I suppsoe I should dig that out and start it back up,LOL. it did feel good after doing it.  :)

That is really great that he accomplished that.  I know from experience it's very hard to find things to do for disabled people to get weight off.  I am 30 and a paraplegic so I have trouble losing weight also.  I have gained ALOT  the last couple years.  If anyone has any ideas or encouragement I'd really appreciate it.  I just cant seem to get motivated. 

January 20, 2009, 11:27 am CST

Hello

Hello, my name is staci and I am 21 years old. I am currently trying to lose weight but have a problem. I do exercise everyday and drink plenty of water but we don't have the money to buy expencive diet food and the food that my family usually brings in is not very healthy. Does anyone have any tips to what I should do becasue food is my weekness. Please help!

January 24, 2009, 8:06 am CST

Hi Staci ...

Quote From: stajames

Hello, my name is staci and I am 21 years old. I am currently trying to lose weight but have a problem. I do exercise everyday and drink plenty of water but we don't have the money to buy expencive diet food and the food that my family usually brings in is not very healthy. Does anyone have any tips to what I should do becasue food is my weekness. Please help!
Have you begun to read Dr. Phil's WEIGHT LOSS SOLUTIONS?  it's a fabulous book that shows you all the aspects of living a healthy life style.

And it's going to be hard to not turn to the same foods that everyone else around you is eating .. but it can be done.

For me, I found the secret was to focus on my finances and learning to shop wisely.  I found that I can purchase the healthier foods cheaply as long as I'm willing to discover what the stores here in Cleveland have on their rotating sales.  I also figured out foods that I could turn to when I didn't have time to fix me a real meal.  Hot Pockets are great for that .. I always get the lower calories one. They help me to get something to eat fast and keep me under 400 calories so I can have something else to eat with them or later.

First | Prev | 196 | 197 | 198 | 199 | 200 | 201 | Next | Last