Message Boards

Topic : Ways to Exercise in the House

Number of Replies: 2019
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Sunday, September 17, 2006, 12:34:45 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Can't get out of the house due to weather, injury or disability, or just busy watching the kids? Are you trying to lose weight, get in shape, improve flexibility and circulation, or tone your body? Share your tips to exercising without leaving your home.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 12, 2006, 6:01 pm CDT

Good girl!!!

Quote From: stephjt0106

I just started working out about 1 mth ago.  For 3 yrs I have put off taking depression med. My doctor gave me Zoloft and for the past month I've been working out.  I gained 60lbs when pregnant and I've lost 10 in past mth, it seems like it is not going away fast enough.  But just like you my almost 3 yr old was cheering me on the treadmill.  I've been doing an hour but the last  20 minutes seem like forever..

I've a depressive myself ... ever since I've been focusing on exercising everyday, I feel so much better. I love walking my dogs in the morning cause it helps me work out my day and gives me time to think stuff out. 

Dr. Phil says that when we push, we end up quitting ....  I found his words:

1 Meal, 1 Day, 1 Small Step at a time.

That's become my mantra right now cuase the more I focused on losing weight, the more I did to sabotage myself. Now, I'm focusing on the cuases of my overeating and binging ... well, truth is, I've not binged in nearly a year.  Overeating is still a problem with me.

October 13, 2006, 4:18 pm CDT

Your PMS sounds alot like mine was when I was younger ...

Quote From: missy77

I do play alot with my kids, actually I think I play to much with them that they don't know how to play alone! I'm a very active personne.

I' m normaly fine, it's just that when my "time of month comes close, I'm a real mess. I can't think staight, eat like a bottomless pit, have no patience whatsoever, can't sleep, loose all sense!!!

As soon as it starts I'm fine. I think I will have to go see the doctor for that cause it's real hard to deal with.

I never belived in pms. When I was younger, my step mom would say, "you're starting soon heh, it shows" and I never belived her, but she was alway's right. It's just a couple of years ago that I started beliving in pms, I alway's wanted to leave my huband, yellled at my kids, nothing made sense, we alaway's fought, I found myself fat and ugly, never wanted to go outside,   ect.... Until I started to read on it, and I started to understand myself in pms mode, now I just warn everybody in advance, and we don't fight anymore, and my kids are understanding and calm down!

In my non pms mode I'm this patiente, understanding, slim and beutifull persone! I'm trying to work on being better in pms mode and it's woking a bit, my husband and I don't fight, (that's mainly because he now understands I'm not doing it on purpose) I don't want to leave him, and I try my darndest not to be impatient! I really have to work on the eating!!!!!

I did go through a suacidal depression for a while, where I had no help from anyone, (when I actually called my dads wife crying for help, she actally had the nerve to tell my dad that I was bitchy that day, after she practacly hung up on me!!!)i actually walked to an overpass and climbed up, climed back down, went home crying, turned on the t.v. and there was dr.Phill talking about depression! And now, well, lets just say that if it weren't for that I would not be here! I went to see a psyco.... and that helped me more, and finally convinced my husband that we needed to go together, and that helped more!

Now I'm fine, well I think so! lol :0) It's just that in pms mode I need alot of help! and now, I'm not afraid of asking for it! And when I started writting with you, I was in pms mode and your words really helped me out!!

thanks you are a great insparation!!

P.s the bad habit is more of a dependence of something, that I have not done in 2 days now!!!!!(I'm actually a very strong persone, I used to smoke 1 pack a day and when I decided to quit, I did it in one day, cold turkey,  that was seven years ago!)

When I was a teen, I suffered from severe cramps & migraines.  In fact, when it started, I would go downstairs to the nurse's office ad she'll have my aspirin and note ready for me ... yep, like clockwork.  At 16, they put me on birth control and I was so ashamed!  Back in the late 60's -- good girls never took birth control -- just the bad girls. It was a secret I had to live with -- it stopped the cramps & migraines -- however, my mood swings were awful!!

I would get really blue a week before I started ... I usually started on MOnday and on Thursday when I woke up, I was high ... so much energy ... 

I also suffered from depression for a very long time .... I don't anymore.  In fact, I've been diagnosed with Manic Depression what they call Bipolar nowadays.  I know it wasn't directly related to my PMSing because there were times I was really manic or really depressed (to the point where I too wanted to murder myself). 

It was a doctor that helped me ... I didn't feel like I was getting the right help so I went to enroll in a blind study for a new medicine.  It was with a well-known hospital and some pretty good pyscholigist / pyschotrists.   When I went for their test, I became really high from knowing I was finally going to get better. Instead, I flunked their interview test ... and this doctor sat me down and said:

YOU ARE REALLY MANIC - WE ARE LOOKING FOR PEOPLE WHO ARE CONTROLLED .... HOWEVER, just know that you will know when to commit yourself.

I know that sounds so negative!  however, it was the most empowering thing anyone had said to me.  I WOULD KNOW ... so if I could know ... then how do I get myself there.  Eventually, I was able to conquer my moods ...  it took a lot of time .. and it took a lot of experimenting ..

using the exercises in a couple of Manic-Depression workbooks, or reading books on depression ...  Journaling was the best thing I did for me.

For me, it was iron bridges .. I never would go near one when I was depressed or manic ...  I was fine over bridges made of concrete.

Knowing that this is apart of who you are ... you can do something too.   Finding a good doctor really works.  If you do like Dr. phil's processes & methods, he has been certifying professionals to his books -- Check out LEARNDRPHILFROMLAWLIS.com  (I think that's the site -- I believe they have a link to where you can find a professional in your area.  The last time I checked, NE Ohio didn't have anyone.

Wow, 2 days ... that's really good.  Don't feel like you should do it alone .... see if there's some kind of support group in your area for your bad habit ...  check out the yellow pages ... sometimes you do need physcial support from others with the same habit.

I too went cold turkey ... back on 10/18/78 - about 2-3 p.m. on a Friday ... woke up with 2-3 cigerettes - friend came over, I smoked her's -- then when I ran out, I quit!  I was actually starring to smoke my 4th pack a day ... and it came down to eating or smoking ... and I thought a $45 a month habit was a lot of money!  duh ... what a joke!  and thank GOD I quit when I did ... I wouldn't be here today if I hadn't.

October 13, 2006, 5:02 pm CDT

Thanks

I've been working out now for 3 years. I just hit a slump(my body, mind and soul goes beserk on me, it's realy bad) when my "time of month comes"! I would eat everything if it wouldn't be bolted down, even so, I think I'd eat around it! lol

But as soon as it starts I'm ok.

If you want it to go faster,add weight training, even if it's only cans of soup to strart off with, thats what I did and I went from 180 to 116 in about 6 months, with lots of muscle defenition and I felt great, but I was working my ass off and dit cardio for 1 hrs 5 times a week and weight trainning  4 times a week, stoped all junk food and counted calories (hell I would even count my gum)

Now I'm 120, thats because I could'nt alway's eat like I was, it was to strick, and I work out 4 times a week.

Don't quit! and realy watch what you eat, that count for 60% for your weight loss! Get a good support system around you!! And talk or write, I figuerded that out with Marcia52! Just writting back and forth made me feel better!

take care!

Thanks I already feel better since you both wrote me back.  It is nice to have someone to talk to other than a 3 yr old.  I stay at home with him and it seems like I'm never around any adults.  I have been doing treadmill 1 hr. 6 days a week and strength training video 6 days. I'm going to start alternating tomorrow.  So MWF 1 hr strength training 1 hr trdml.  30 min pilates ..  T-TR-S 1hr aerobic video- 1 hr trdml-30 min yoga.  My boyfriend thinks I'm overdoing it.. He just started going to the gym everymorning at 6 am but he doesn't get I had a child and I don't believe my stomach will ever look the same.  I had a c-section and my lower stomach still doesn't have all the feeling back. (which I'm not sure if it is normal) . I 'm also trying to watch what I eat I'm following the book but I'm eating like 3 times a day and less stuff than he says.  The Zoloft is taking away most of my appetite.  My main problem was cokes.  I was like addicted to coca-cola.  I've had some headaches this is 1 week without. 

October 13, 2006, 5:08 pm CDT

Thanks

Quote From: marcia52

I've a depressive myself ... ever since I've been focusing on exercising everyday, I feel so much better. I love walking my dogs in the morning cause it helps me work out my day and gives me time to think stuff out. 

Dr. Phil says that when we push, we end up quitting ....  I found his words:

1 Meal, 1 Day, 1 Small Step at a time.

That's become my mantra right now cuase the more I focused on losing weight, the more I did to sabotage myself. Now, I'm focusing on the cuases of my overeating and binging ... well, truth is, I've not binged in nearly a year.  Overeating is still a problem with me.

Thanks for writing back.  I've been exercising since I started the med. I haven't had any side effects except for losing my appetite (which isn't so bad) and at night I have dreams that seem almost like a memory (so real).  I also wake up a few times.  Do you have to take any med for it.  I've been on zoloft since 1999 when I was 17. But I always quit when I feel better this time I'm not going to. I did notice I ate alot when I was bored.  And staying at home all day if I keep busy I don't or when I used to work before I had my son, I ate less also.

October 14, 2006, 8:29 am CDT

YOu are hurting yourself ... please stop!!!

Thanks I already feel better since you both wrote me back.  It is nice to have someone to talk to other than a 3 yr old.  I stay at home with him and it seems like I'm never around any adults.  I have been doing treadmill 1 hr. 6 days a week and strength training video 6 days. I'm going to start alternating tomorrow.  So MWF 1 hr strength training 1 hr trdml.  30 min pilates ..  T-TR-S 1hr aerobic video- 1 hr trdml-30 min yoga.  My boyfriend thinks I'm overdoing it.. He just started going to the gym everymorning at 6 am but he doesn't get I had a child and I don't believe my stomach will ever look the same.  I had a c-section and my lower stomach still doesn't have all the feeling back. (which I'm not sure if it is normal) . I 'm also trying to watch what I eat I'm following the book but I'm eating like 3 times a day and less stuff than he says.  The Zoloft is taking away most of my appetite.  My main problem was cokes.  I was like addicted to coca-cola.  I've had some headaches this is 1 week without. 

If you're eating below what he has in his book, then you are damaging your body ... BACK OFF please -- pretty please ... with a cherry on top PLEASE!

Are you doing WEIGHT LOSS SOLUTIONS or the GUIDEBOOK?   Go back to key 1 & 2 and listen to what you are saying about your belly ...  you have a baby and you want to be there for him ... 

The thing is, if you are following the menu plans in WLS, you are eating anywhere from 1200 to 1600 calories per day.  That's the requirement for any weight loss plan.  When you eat below his menus, you are telling your body that there is not food, and your body is going to stop losing weight. It's going to start going after your muscles which is what helps you to burn fat.

Can you do me a big favor ... can you please, pretty please go to the library and get some books about getting your body back in shape.  I mean, there are so many famous actresses and people who have had C-sections and got their body back to where it was.  You may never ever again have flat abs .. that's okay.  You had a child ... a beautiful child and your body is going to be that of one who is a mother.  It will and has made changes.

Please, I don't want to see you hurt yourself or your body.  You need to deal with the negative self-talk that's going on inside of you. Check out Keys 1 & 2 ... use the exercises in the book to help you to stop them.

And coke will do that.  You are very powerful in giving them up.  The withdrawals will go away ... it just takes time.  Focus on that.

And are you doing exactly what Dr. Phil suggested in Key 6? or is this your own plan?  Give his a try ... you will burn up your calories ... I do and I just do 2.5 hrs Cardio/1.5 hrs Strength a week when I'm unable to go to the gym and all.

Maybe what you should try to do is go to his gym and talk to a fitness trainer.  Or maybe pay for one to come to your home.  You don't need one forever.  Just to help you work out a routine at home.  Get one that knows about C-sections and getting your body back into shape.

October 14, 2006, 8:36 am CDT

Your welcome ...

Thanks for writing back.  I've been exercising since I started the med. I haven't had any side effects except for losing my appetite (which isn't so bad) and at night I have dreams that seem almost like a memory (so real).  I also wake up a few times.  Do you have to take any med for it.  I've been on zoloft since 1999 when I was 17. But I always quit when I feel better this time I'm not going to. I did notice I ate alot when I was bored.  And staying at home all day if I keep busy I don't or when I used to work before I had my son, I ate less also.

I am not on any meds currently.  I had to work really hard on dealing with my life issues and my illness.  I had to learn when I got manic, or when I became depressed.  I learned by keeping track on a checklist and asking msyelf every day for a week or so once a month where I was at.

I learned that because I don't sweat, I get really depressed in the summer because of the humidity.  Now that I got Central Air, I've been able to just not go there anymore.  My manics always occured when the the sun returned ... so I learned how to mediate, visual, and do other things to help me when I felt highs coming on.

I was on medication for years and years and years.   It was when the doctor told me I WOULD KNOW that it finally clicked ... if I could know then what do I have to do to know ...

I do know that one day I just may have one return ... that's okay. I know that taking the meds is a good thing and it doesn't scare me.  However, right now, I haven't experienced a mania for about 4-5 years and my depression is more like Missy's -- PMS related.  That's okay cause it only lasts a week or so. 

Maybe you can talk your boyfriend into taking care of the baby 1-2 nights so you can go to the gym for an hour or so.  Or see if your mom or his will take him.  That way you can go out and met women of liked mind.  Cause come this summer, you could then take your babies in strollers and walk outside or do things like that. 

How long are you going to be a stay-at-home mom? 

October 14, 2006, 8:37 am CDT

Right on Missy ...

I had a c-section and it's normal, my oldest is 7 (the c-section child) and I still don't have all the fellings back. And my youngest is 4.

Yes, your tummy can get as tight as it was, unless you really gained alot of weight and have loose skin.

Don't go under 1200 cal a day or you will not lose weight, your body will think that it's not getting enough food and go in starvation mode and keep everything! And if you really excersise as much as you do you should eat more! But healthy stuff! The way you execise you should be eating 6 small meals a day!

Visit www.oxygenmag.com and www.calorieking.com They're really  great sites for execising and food and motivation. And what I like about it, is that the women in there are in there 30 and 40 and 50 and look awsome!!  The other magazines (shape, fitness ect..) their all younger witch I can not compare myself to.

you can overdo it and hit a slump, were your body will just stop, you should not train the same body part 2 days in a row. EX: day 1-legs and shoulder (wall chair stand and shoulder press)

day 2-arms and butt (bicep culrts and squats)

day 3-back and legs(flys and calvs)

day4-shoulder and butt(lat. lifts and lunges)

day 5-arms and legs(triceps and dead lifts)

day-6- well deserved rest

And after a month switch exercies.

But really, get an oxygen magazine, I think that you will love it.

Why not get a babysitter and go to the gym together, that would bring you guys so much closer, and you would be without a child for a couple of hours, even if it's twice a week!

Good luck,  take care and talk(write) to you soon to get news :0)

See STEPH, we are both here for you!

October 14, 2006, 8:41 am CDT

Then you have the good type of BLUES ...

I don't think I' manic or anything like that. It only lasts 1 week and then I'm fine.

wow that must of hurt when they told you that, but I guess that's when you realize things.

Third day is a bit hard but I'll be able to do it, I believe it!

I don't think Dr.Phills link will help I live in Canada, but I will try!

I like this writting back and forth, I can't talk to my familly(not my husband, but father and aunts ect...) I feel like I can be myself and not be judged!

thanks!

Now that you have named your depression as being PMS related you will now be able to see articles and stuff about dealing with the BLUES ...  that's what I get now.  BLUES ... depression has really nasty connatations and I just figured that what I feel when PMS occurs is really more of the PITY PARTY type.  You know, I'm not good at this, I messed up on eating ...  then I begin to beat myself up.

The truth is, now that I named it BLUES, I know what to look out for. I actually use post-it notes on my calendar to remind me that they will be starting up.  (Usually starts up right after the new moon and continues until close to the full moon.  Lasts about 1 week ...

If they get Dr. Phil up in Canada, then they just might have professionals too.  I got my fingers crossed.

It helps me too to write to both you and Steph.

October 14, 2006, 8:45 am CDT

Thank you Missy ...

Yesterday when I wrote you about the early 90's - I realized that I had quite a bit of memories that I'd not heard or listened to for quite a while. It really was helpful to have them bought up. 

Today, I want to write a letter to the hospital that offered the blind study and thank them for those words: I WOULD KNOW because when I was told it, I realized that I could either continue to be like all the other women I met and just exist on meds OR I could do something about educating myself to what my triggers are.

I guess that's why Key 4, Step 2 was such a valuable new learning tool.  As I slowly faced my pain - like dealing with my mom, friends, family, work, life events -- I spent quite a bit of time learning and practicing new tools.  I added more incompatiable activities to my life. 

And it's all because I was told I WOULD KNOW.   that became my mantra for the next few years. I developed checklists using David Burns FEELING GOOD and workbooks ... it's a big AHA you gave me yesterday and I really need to give my thanks.

October 14, 2006, 4:59 pm CDT

The letter worked!!

well now I'm on my forth day, alomost gave in yesterday, but I didn't!! I feel great.

I did my cardio this morning, burned up to 400 cal on elleptical, and when I visited oxygen last night, it pumped me up, it's incredible. I love them so much!

It's good sometimes to have old memories being brought back. My bestfriend (of 15 years) and I sometimes think back to highscool and it's hillarious and painfull at the same time.

She too just go diagnoste with bipolar, I thought she was being pretty weird for a while, she did not tell me. so I did not know. I wrote a mean letter. I was so tired of her not calling me, or writting and she is my youngests godmother and it was very hurtfull, but I stuck by her side, even when people told me to quit! Whe she got my letter she wrote back with, saying about her bipolar and depression thing, so now I can understand and now when she's going trough a rough patch, I'll understand and be comprehensive. I told her about this message board about mental health, I've read alot of posts about other people with bipolar and I'm shure it would help.

Life is so short we have to enjoy it to it's fullest!

I'm glad you wrote the letter and that she responded.  I remembered telling my mom about being diagnosed and her telling me it's all in your head and you should see a doctor -- yes for real.  Mental illness is still not accepted.  I'm glad you are going to stand by her.  I had to go it alone -- even my ex wanted no part of it.

Good going with the cardio!  I'm glad you are able to maintain.  That's just soooo cool!

Me, I just sat with pen and paper and worked on WHY AM I RETURNING TO THIS SAME PLACE EVERY WEEK!!  the time frame is getting shorter and shorter in between; however, I'm really getting blue.  I got me another list of stuff to look at .. maybe this time, I'll break thru.  I really do want to get working on exercising in my home.  I want my TV / DVD / VCR setup fixed, I want to go up there and slowly build up to using my STEP, I know I can use the stability ball without a video.  

And menu planning is coming along just fine!  Another week or two, and I'll have broken down the wall and I'll be doing it without any real problems!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last