Message Boards

Topic : Ways to Exercise in the House

Number of Replies: 2019
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Sunday, September 17, 2006, 12:34:45 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Can't get out of the house due to weather, injury or disability, or just busy watching the kids? Are you trying to lose weight, get in shape, improve flexibility and circulation, or tone your body? Share your tips to exercising without leaving your home.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 15, 2006, 1:37 pm CDT

Okay, I'll look for it ...

Quote From: missy77

I know I'm anoying with that, but you really gotta get that mag and look at it. the reason I say that is that the woment in there are older than any other mag, so it makes you feel like you can do it. I used to by shape and fitness, but I alway's said "of course they looke good, the're in their early 20's, but I can't say that about oxygen.

And they have real good articles and lots of pictures with good demos.

i thought you had a friend comming over to help you wiht the hook up?

Good music also helps to work out, I put a c.d together and i don't stop until my music stops!

You can do it!! don't quit!

I've never heard of Oxygen before ... can you post their website here for me to link to?

She's been busy with her nephew helping to de-lead a house cause they got sited.  I'll be seeing her again this week sometime ... I just have to wait and see when.

The only music I got around here is the radio and belly dancing music.  That's my favorite favorite type of dance.  I recommend it for all women -- it has changed my life.  I'm more confident, I'm more balanced body wise, and because it's a woman thing, I go to workshops and met other women who love this form of dance.  I actually go away for weekends ... about 2-3 times a year. 

Have you ever tried it?

I get Self & Fitness, Good Housekeeping, Woman's Day, Family Circle, O mag, O at Home.  I used to get SHAPE and a couple of other ones; however, I'm making sacrficies and they were let go.  I used to be a bookaholic ... then went into being a magazine aholic .... I'm slowly weaning myself .. however, I truly love to read! 

October 15, 2006, 1:43 pm CDT

I got it !!!

Missy & Steph, I finally made major headway with my MENU PLANNING task!

Earlier this week, I re-indexed my freezer and sat down and figured out what foods I needed to use up first. Then I realized that I now knew exactly what meats I needed to use up!  DUH!!!

So yesterday, I sat down on my kitchen floor and indexed my pantry -- and this time no food for the food bank!!  My environment was cleaned.  Only food I would eat was on the shelves!!!  I couldn't believe it!!!  I made a list for that too. 

Now, I can see how a menu works ... I made me a form that broke down the meats by dates and pkg size ... like my turkey burger:  1/4, 1/2, & l pound packages.  And I checked it out against my store flyers and saw what I needed to purchase and about how much ... boy what a savings. 

And best of all!  my freezer looks really cool and my pantry is cleaned and neat.  I actually have all sorts of space in it!!  DUH... who would have thought.

I'm defrosting chicken breasts that I have to use -- so now I just need to figure out what it is I want to make with it.

I figure now I'm going to have to make list of dishes that I make.  I tend to not remember ... it's just something I'm not used to doing ... so it's not automatic.

By the way, did you ever check out the cookbooks that you use 3, 4, 5, or 6 ingredients Missy?  My girlfriend's hubby uses the 5 ingredient one to make meals for them.  He only does it once-twixe a month and he is so proud of himself!

October 16, 2006, 7:51 pm CDT

I don't work anymore .. I gave it up ...

Your are really patient! I would never have time, well mostly patience to do that. I work from 7 to 4.30 pm, then homework t'ill 5 then supper, then dishes whith kids help, then play time with kids, then bath then read story to kids, bed time at 8 pm, then clean up of rest of house, I also have taekwondo on monday and kinball on tuesday  for older child, then make sure my days are planned for the day care(arts and crafts, story time, play time ect...), I also have to go to school once in a while for my work, work out, time for me and husband...... It just never stops..... oh, and also read and write on message boad dr. phill and oxygen!

No, I did not have time to check out the book. I will check on the internet.

Go to www.oxygenmag.com and www.calorieking.com those are really good places! You will find menu planning and recepies!!!

One thing I have been doing is making home made soups and freezing them!! Mmmm good!!

Later, Missy.

No, what I did was got off the abusive work roller coaster ride and took an early reitrement ... I was so messed up by the abuse that I knew I had to step back and away. This is my 2nd year dealing with my childhood and life ...  I've bought so much closure to my life ....

It was hard for me to when I worked.  I was always running, always doing ...  I don't have kids so I never had that busyiness in my life. 

I'll check out oxgen mag site ... thanks ....

Today I walked my dogs for 45 minutes & made it to the gym.

-------------

Check out THE BIGGEST LOSER this week - I think it's Tuesday night ...  the contestants are being locked out of the gym and are going to be shown how to exercise at home .... I'm not sure if I will be able to catch it.  however, if I can .. maybe we can discuss it.

take care and I'll write again tomorrow.

October 18, 2006, 10:44 am CDT

I couldn't wait to get out ...

My t.v is programmed for it! I've been watching it since it started!

Lucky gal, early retierment! I guess we do what we have to do.

I changed my job and took and a 2$ an hour pay cut just because I could'nt stand the people I worked with!

And changed my job again because I wanted to be the one to raise my kids! Now I've hade the same work for 4 years and could'nt be happier!

Missy, I actually had this thought in my head "IF THIS IS WHAT I'M SUPPOSED TO BE DOING, THEN WHY ALL THE ABUSE?"  -- I had to take a cut in my pension to go out early -- I couldn't wait another 4 years.  I just wanted to get my mental health back on track.  And I've done it.

Now, I'm going to really start looking for a job - doing something that interests me.  I really don't need to make big money or work for health insurance ... I got my pension and health insurance .. However, I do know I need to make enough to fix my home and to pay off my debt.

Take care -- today is day 3 at the gym ...

October 19, 2006, 9:22 am CDT

Hi Missy ....

I got 4 days at the gym and I walked my dogs 2x as well.  I went to dance last night and actually moved even though my body is aching.

I've seen a little weight loss ..  I'm still 1/2 lb over where I was before I committed to this gym regime'.  I went from 182.5 to 186 and this week went down to 183. (I'm weighing in every week now because I have this awful!!!  tape that goes /plays when I weigh in.  I'm not going to lose, I've gained OH NO!!   that kind of stuff.

I managed not to go too crazy with the big weight gain.  I reasoned that it was because I was exercising so much -- so I asked my trainer and she said yep, I was right!! 

Now, I have 3 days off before I go back to the gym ...  I'm taking tomorrow off to go shopping with my sister ... she's not feeling too good -- she's a diabetic and has had breast cancer twice.   It will be a nice day for her, my mom, & me.

So, Saturday, I'm going to commit to tacking my EXERCISING AT HOME goal once again.  Maybe this time, I'll be able to get my vcr/dvd to work this time.

Hope all is well with you.

October 20, 2006, 2:10 pm CDT

Ways to Exercise in the House

I exercise in my house by playing Dance Dance Revolution and doing exercise videos.

October 20, 2006, 4:06 pm CDT

Was it hard getting started?

Quote From: kelseym127

I exercise in my house by playing Dance Dance Revolution and doing exercise videos.

I've attempted numerous times to do videos and just gave up ... were you able to just put them and do it? or did you have to deal with your self-talk first?

October 20, 2006, 4:13 pm CDT

Do something different ....

I have been feeling lazy and hungry lately. I haven't done my exercises (weight lifting) and I think I'm starting to miss it! I will try to do it tonite. I have realized that when I write it down to you,  I feel obligated to do it!

So, have checked out oxygen?

I feel weird, I used to be this gym girl, who went to the gym 4 to 5 times a week and trained real hard, ate clean and loved it for 2 years, to, not doing it! I think I hit a wall! Gotta get through it! ARHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

But other than that, I'm fine

It's still not working that vcr/dvd thing of your's, try to do it without, maybe that's what's keeping you from doing your exercises at home, you give yourself an excuse!! My excuse for not going to the gym is , I switched gyms because my other gym did not have a daycare so I had to get a baby sitter and that was costing 30 bucks a week plus gym fees! the other gym has daycare and don't charge (it's unsupervised kind of) so now I have to bring my kids to the gym and I think I liked better going alone! (me time)!

Oh well, we learn by our mistakes and I will fix that after my gym membership expires! ha!! ha!!

Did you get the biggest looser! It gave me great ideas, and since I missed it to go take a course for my work, I stayed up till 12 am to watch and my husband watched it with me. I dropped so many hints like "see they support each other, it's better to do it by 2" I think he's starting to understand, hey buddy support here,support here!!

Men, so urh... gotta love them! :0)

I know what you mean about going to a new gym ... about doing it alone ...

It's too bad you don't have a friend who would love having the same thing ... going to the gym without kids.  That way, one of you could do mornings, the other afternoons ... you could babysit each other kids.  I used to do that with my dog ....  I know it's kinda weird .. however, I would babysit my friend's kids so they could go out Saturday nights and when I would go on vacation, she would watch my dog for an entire week.  Yep, my dog would come to stay at her house and her kids would walk him and everything.  It was a good for her and good for me.  And her kids were happy to spend time with me!

Yes, you showed him a visual ... that works so much better when they hear it from other people ...  I'm glad you caught the BIGGEST LOSER .. I watched some of it and then had to do something different.

It's been a busy week for me.  I spent 4 hours with my mom & sister .... she's not feeling too good lately so I drove ... went to like 5-6 stores ... wore her out!  I really enjoyed myself tremendously!  So did they!

And it's just not the VCR -- it's me making time for it ... and that's actually stupid ... cause I have time for it.  It's got a lot of issues ... I am way too analytical and I don't quite understand exercise .. so I want to tear it down and then I get lost in the questions ... it's just the way I am.  However, tomorrow, I get to walk my dogs in the morning.  I will attempt to put  a video in the living room and do my exercises down stairs.  I just can't lay on the floor ... my 3 dogs just love to lick me .... and I can't play with my veil because we then have to play WHERE'S ZEKE, WHERE'S SASSY, WHERE'S HARRY.  it's awful!!!

October 20, 2006, 7:40 pm CDT

How long have you been doing that? And are you still enjoying it?
I have been doing this for about 4 months, and I still really enjoy it.  It's a lot of fun.

October 20, 2006, 7:43 pm CDT

Quote From: marcia52

I've attempted numerous times to do videos and just gave up ... were you able to just put them and do it? or did you have to deal with your self-talk first?

I was just ablet to just put them in and do it.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last