Message Boards

Topic : 12/19 Generation Rx

Number of Replies: 347
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 22, 2006, 12:21:33 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 09/27/06) Parents, you might be your kids' drug dealer. They could be getting high from products in your pantry, under your sink, or in your medicine cabinet. Dana says her 16-year-old son, Josh, has been experimenting with over-the-counter drugs. She says he's downed bottles of NyQuil, packs of cold pills and an entire bottle of mouthwash -- all in an effort to get high. See what drastic measures she took to bring Josh to the show. Then, 21-year-old Christina says she can't start her day without taking half a bottle of cough medicine. Her four-year addiction to robo-tripping is spiraling so far out of control, she fears her days are numbered. What will it take for Christina to kick her habit? Plus, a mom whose son died from an overdose of over-the-counter drugs shares her tragic story.  Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More December 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 24, 2006, 10:07 am CDT

Very much a problem...

Just recently I read an article from Teen Newsweek to my classes at school.  It was an eye opener to me. I knew about huffing and inhalant abuse already. The article emphasized the danger to the body.  What my students were amazed at, and believe me I emphasized it too....was:  you can die the first time you huff, although you may use it forty, fifty times and live, you could die with the first time!  That in enough should be enough to NOT use those things. Also, "white-out" the correction fluid is one of the products that kids use.  We do not and have not allowed it for student use in our school for years.  Air dusters that people use to clean computers, keyboards, etc......major high for kids.  Have you ever felt the icy coldness that the can gets as you use it to clean?  Imagine that chemical reaction going into your lungs, brain.

I think this is such a timely topic.  The more that parents are educated on these dangers, then  maybe some of the dangers can filter down to the kids...then less kids will die from just wanting a high.  The withdrawal symptoms after they have been on these inhalants keeps them wanting another "hit".  The tremors, hallucinations, and nausea makes them want another hit to make it go away.  It is as bad to their health as other street drugs.  If we don't  help our teens, who will?

September 24, 2006, 11:52 am CDT

Clueless and Shocked??:~

Come on, anybody who is clueless and shocked by this news must be living under a rock. If your teen is in such a need for a high that they're grabbing paint thinner from your garage, you're either the most naive adult in the world or you're job is taking WAY too much attention away from your family. That's a sure sign that your teen has already experimented with other more conventional illegal drugs, and if that's not obvious, I pity you.

Robo-tripping has been around for at least 10 years. Let's cut the "Whatsa matta with kids today?" routine.

September 24, 2006, 9:04 pm CDT

Respect

Quote From: alexgma

i agree with you,there is no place safe kdis to go any more we think so much of a strip mall going up not the kids,if there weas a place kids cant afford to use it this is why so many kids or out roaming streets with nothing to do cause there is no where for them to go.

Sure kids need a safe place to go but why do they always need to go...

Parents need to make a commitment to their children to povide them and their friends a safe environment at home.  By safe I mean a place where they feel loved and respected because

the only way to keep your kids safe is to teach them respect for themselves and each other.

My kids are all grown now but I see parents and children in my travels and most of them not only

show no respect for others but no respect for each other. Kids today are spoiled (including my grandchildren). They have too much "stuff" and too much free time and not enough responsibility. We were all put in this life to learn patience and tolerance and respect follows naturally.

September 24, 2006, 9:07 pm CDT

KEEP THE LINES OF COMMUNICATION OPEN

I WAS SURPRISED TO SEE THE TITLE OF THIS SHOW.  RECENTLY I HAVE BEEN SHOPPING AT A FEW DIFFERENT STORES AND I WAS SURPRISED TO SEE VARIOUS OTC COLD AND FLU, AND SLEEPING AID BOXES  EMPLY STUFFED INTO THE BACK OF THE SHELVES. THEN I WENT TO ANOTHER "DRUG STORE" AND NEEDED TO BUY SOME MEDICINE FOR MY DAUGHTER TO HELP HER COLD AND COUGH SYMPTOMS.  AT THIS PARTICULAR STORE I WAS ASKED FOR MY BIRTH DATE (OTHER MEDICINES REQUIRE SHOWING AN I.D.)  I WAS HAPPY TO COMPLY BUT I COULDN'T UNDERSTAND WHY I KEEP SEEING EMPTY BOXES.  NOW I KNOW WHY.  I AM SORRY THAT THESE MEDICATIONS ARE SO ASSESSIBLE TO ANYONE, YOUNG AND OLD ALIKE.  WE NEED TO THINK OF IDEAS THAT WILL STOP MAKING THESE TYPES OF MEDICATIONS EASY TO OBTAIN.  USE OF SECURITY TAGS, TAPE UP THE BOXES OR MAYBE LOCK THEM UP. THIS SHOULD INCLUDE THE MEDICINES WE KEEP AT HOME.  I HAD A GIRL FRIEND WHO BECAME A FOSTER MOTHER AND THE FOSTER AGENCY REQUIRED THAT ALL MEDICATIONS INCLUDING VITAMINS BE LOCKED UP, FAR OUT OF REACH FROM THE CHILDREN.  AND COMMUNICATION WITH OUR CHILDREN AT ALL AGES IS VITAL FOR SAVING THEIR LIVES.  LET'S DO ALL WE CAN TO PREVENT THIS PROBLEM THAT SEEMS TO BE GROWING FAST. 

September 24, 2006, 9:21 pm CDT

GENERATION RX

Quote From: elmomama

This is a very important topic.  I am glad we are discussing it now.  This is a lead-in to drug abuse.  Believe me-I've been there.  My drug addiction in my 20s which included just about every drug you can imagine may have began with the mini thins I took at age 13 in middle school.  We used to buy bottles and take 10-20 per person, always bragging about how many we took.  I wish I would have known at 13 what I know now.  Thank God I was able to escape my miserable life of drug abuse.  If I ever had the opportunity to tell my story, I would love to share.  I went from a straight A student and a person who held a $40,000 per year management job at 22 years old to a street person.  I was on the streets for 2 years doing unimaginable things to survive and keep my drug habit up.  I am one of the few who escaped this terrible lifestyle. Thank God I am alive!  It makes me so sad to see others using.  A drug is a drug, and they are all dangerous.  People also need to realize that just because a subtance is legal, doesn't mean it is ok to ingest.  I hope Dr. Phil mentions that there is always something else behind using drugs.  It is usually because people have unresolved issues that they don't want to face.  There is some reason that people want to be high.  I think there must be something wrong that they don't want to deal with. There is a reason the user doesn't want to be "normal".  Even when people say they use drugs because of peer pressure.  I think that is caused from other issues, possibly insecurity or wanting to belong. God bless Dr. Phil for doing a show on such an important issue.  Hopefully there will be some kids watching-it could save some lives.  If any parents need me to explain what I went through to their children, I would be happy to share.  My story is unbelievable.  I now have a one year old daughter.  When she is mature enough to understand, I am going to take her to the place I used to hang out (as long as it is safe enough).  I want to show and tell her what I went through.  I am not proud of it, but I can't help to wonder if it would have changed some of my decisions.  I knew crack cocaine was "bad", but I didn't understand that I could use it one time and lose everything I owned, including my self-love within two months.  How was I supposed to understand that someone could go from the Dean's List in college and an active member of church to jail within a year?  It is so very sad.  I was one of those people who thought it could never happen to me, and people who used drugs were stupid and losers.  But, I like to think that I am stronger now, and it has humbled me.  I pray that God uses me to help others who go through this terrible sickness.  I am in college now,  again, studying to be a registered nurse.  Hopefully, I can work at a rehabilitation service to help others.  I want anyone who is reading this who is fighting a drug addiction to know you can stop.  I know that is feels like you can't, but you can.  Please get help-before you hurt yourself or someone else more.  There are people out there willing to help....God Bless You All!
I AM SORRY TO READ ABOUT YOUR EXPERIENCES WITH DRUG ABUSE.  ALTHOUGH I HAVE NEVER GONE THROUGH THE EXACT SAME SITUATIONS, I DID START USING MARIJUANA BEFORE AGE 12 (THANKS TO MY SISTER 4 YEARS MY SENIOR) AND AT LEAST TRIED MOST OF THE DRUGS THAT WERE POPULAR IN MY TIME.  I GREW UP IN THE 70'S AND USING DRUGS WAS NOT UNCOMMON WITH MY CROWD.  MY PARENTS WERE INVISIBLE AND BY THE TIME I WAS 12 THEY DIVORCED.  MY MOTHER REMARRIED TO A MAN I COULD NOT RELATE TO UNTIL I WAS GROWN.  I JOINED THE AIR FORCE AFTER HIGH SCHOOL AND CONTINUED TO USE ULTIMATELY ENDING UP BEING DISCHARGED FOR USE OF METHAMPHETIMINE (I WAS STATIONED IN JAPAN.)  SHARING OUR PAST EXPERIENCES AND TELLING THE TRUTH ABOUT OUR PAST WITH OUR CHILDREN AND OTHERS NOT HOLDING BACK THE CONSEQUENCES OF OUR ACTIONS IS A GOOD WAY TO HELP THEM TO TRY TO MAKE THE RIGHT CHOICES AND MAYBE GET SOME HELP IF THEY ARE ALREADY ON "THE SLIPPERY PATH OF SELF DESTRUCTION."  ANOTHER THING:  I HAVE RECENTLY LEARNED THAT DRUG AND ALCOHOL ADDICTION IS ACTUALLY CONSIDERED A DISABILITY.  THAT WAS NEWS TO ME.     

September 25, 2006, 10:59 am CDT

I grew up with a mother who had alot of drugs from the doctor around for us kids to get our hands on.

I can only guess how you feel. My mother had allot of drugs around that she got from the doctors for her weight and other things that as kids I used to try to see what they would do. Later on in life I did the same thing for a short time in my life with diet pills from a doctor and could not get off of them till I meet some friends that stuck by me and saw me through. I always hide them from my own child so she never knew. Then I went to drinking and that lasted for a while till I meet my husband now of 22 years and I realized with the help of God and the church that none of these things would help me at all. You can get help there is so much help out there now that was not there when I was going through that. I also stayed away from the people that had the things that I wanted. I found new friends and family to focus on that changed my life for the best and now I am involved in the church and helping others. God Bless you and may you get the help and support you need. Julie

September 25, 2006, 8:44 pm CDT

Reach Them Emotionally

I first learned of these "household drugs" through the film Voice of the Victims, which mentioned the dangers of canned whipped cream, cough medicine, paint, etc., while dealing primarily with drugs typically used by slightly older people -- ecstasy and the club drugs, and alcohol.

The film taught me that all the drug programs out there won't work unless you reach the kids at an emotional level.  You don't do that with fear -- kids laugh at fear! -- you do it through reaching their hearts and breaking them.  When my kids watched the stories told of four kids who suffered drug tragedies, I watched them first identify with the kids, then cry as the stories of the tragedies were told by their moms and friends.  It worked -- my daughter tells her friends about the movie, and one girl at her high school watches it every weekend before she goes out.

So if you're worried about your kid, you need to find out how to reach him/her at an emotional level.  They need to hear people they can relate to tell real stories about what happened to them from cough syrup or skittles or huffing.  Victims of these drugs do talk about it at schools, churches, etc., so keep your eyes open for that.

If you're interested in the film, go to Voice of the Victims (dot) com.

September 26, 2006, 12:43 am CDT

I was that mother

Quote From: rufuspufus

I can only guess how you feel. My mother had allot of drugs around that she got from the doctors for her weight and other things that as kids I used to try to see what they would do. Later on in life I did the same thing for a short time in my life with diet pills from a doctor and could not get off of them till I meet some friends that stuck by me and saw me through. I always hide them from my own child so she never knew. Then I went to drinking and that lasted for a while till I meet my husband now of 22 years and I realized with the help of God and the church that none of these things would help me at all. You can get help there is so much help out there now that was not there when I was going through that. I also stayed away from the people that had the things that I wanted. I found new friends and family to focus on that changed my life for the best and now I am involved in the church and helping others. God Bless you and may you get the help and support you need. Julie

I was the one with all the "drugs" around me.  All legal from doctors.  It all started with a serious back injury thal almost crippled me.  I had two operarions to repair the damage but sad as it may be was only the beginning of a hell worse than any one could think.  After the operations the doctors told me never to gain weight so I added more drugs to my list.  Diet pills ontop of very strong pain pills.  Because I was in pain all the time, I could not sleep at night, so I added more pills to my list.  Sleeping pills.  I started by taking one a night to help me sleep, but after a while I increased the dose and later on ended up taking up to 10 sleeping pills just to fall asleep. In the morning waking up was hard.  I mannaged to hold on to my job, pretending nothing is wrong.  This went on for many years.  Being in a big city made thing easy for me to get hold of high volumes of pills.  More than one doctor and no questions asked.  I was hooked on that pills until one night trying to fall asleep and my body started shaking like some one in shock.  My heart was racing, and I felt terrible.  I believed I would not wake up the following morning and was sure I will die if I don't stop taking the pills.  I made it through the night and that morning I realised there was something else wrong in my life too.  It was'nt just taking drugs, I was unhappy in my job too.  So I went  to work and resign.  I packed my stuff and went home.  I took all my pills and flushed them down the drain.  That was the last time I ever took those damn pills that ruled my life for so long.  Later on I found out I didn't fool my husband  by hiding the pills from him.  My personality chanded after taking the pills and there were times that he would plead with me  not to take so many pills, to stop but I would'nt listen.  But that is in the past now.  I regain controll over my life.  Today I am happy and on top of it I started my own company.  I did not go for rehab and it was hard the first couple of days after I got rid of my "crutches".  This is the first time I am telling people my story.  No one can say they will never fall in the trap of drug addiction.  It does'nt matter what your choice of drug is, the first thing to do is to recognise you have a problem and then start taking back your life one day at a time.  I know, I was there and it was living hell.  It in not just teenagers using drugs.  Adults are also likely to fall in to the habit of taking stuff that may be harmfull, legal or not.  I am clean for the last 10yrs. now.  By telling my story I hope to help some one in the same situation 

September 26, 2006, 5:25 pm CDT

this is MY generation...

I just wanted to say that I am one of these teenagers taking prescription drugs on a daily basis. I know that its wrong but it's my way of coping with the horrible things that have been happing in my life. I don't do illegal drugs (crack, coke, pot, etc) and i dont huff paint thinner or anything like that. I mostly take pain killers and large amounts of advil. Typically i can function normally while under the affects of these drugs but there have been several occasions when ive taken too much i have come down with terrible headaches lasting for days, a high fever, and have thrown-up. my parents have no clue as to whats going on. i know what i do is wrong but im addicted and i cant stop doing it. i just want everyone to hear about this from someone is experiencing it and to warn other teenagers to STAY AWAY from drugs of any kind.

- Missy

September 26, 2006, 5:44 pm CDT

Get help, Missy!

Quote From: forevrandnvr6

I just wanted to say that I am one of these teenagers taking prescription drugs on a daily basis. I know that its wrong but it's my way of coping with the horrible things that have been happing in my life. I don't do illegal drugs (crack, coke, pot, etc) and i dont huff paint thinner or anything like that. I mostly take pain killers and large amounts of advil. Typically i can function normally while under the affects of these drugs but there have been several occasions when ive taken too much i have come down with terrible headaches lasting for days, a high fever, and have thrown-up. my parents have no clue as to whats going on. i know what i do is wrong but im addicted and i cant stop doing it. i just want everyone to hear about this from someone is experiencing it and to warn other teenagers to STAY AWAY from drugs of any kind.

- Missy

Missy, I'm so sorry that you're going through this.  I remember how hard it was, sometimes, to be a teenager, and it was tough to find ways to cope.  I would urge you to say something to your parents... they're your parents and they love you.  If they get mad, remember that it's because they care about you so much and are more afraid than anything.  If your parents are actually the problem (it happens) and you don't feel comfortable going to them, is there someone else you could talk to-- like maybe a teacher or a coach?  You can actually hurt yourself a lot with the prescription drugs (I work in pharmaceutical research-- believe me, I've seen the data from the studies and it's not pretty).  Also, I know this won't help much right now, but being a teenager passes, and if you take care of yourself now it's all uphill from here!  :)

Whatever horrible things are going on in your life, succeeding in life is the best vindication.  And if they are really, really horrible things... please, seek help, maybe from a school counselor.  That's what they're there for-- and you're worth having someone listen to you who is in a position to have the resources to be able to give you the help you need and deserve.  :)

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last