Message Boards

Topic : 12/19 Generation Rx

Number of Replies: 347
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 22, 2006, 12:21:33 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 09/27/06) Parents, you might be your kids' drug dealer. They could be getting high from products in your pantry, under your sink, or in your medicine cabinet. Dana says her 16-year-old son, Josh, has been experimenting with over-the-counter drugs. She says he's downed bottles of NyQuil, packs of cold pills and an entire bottle of mouthwash -- all in an effort to get high. See what drastic measures she took to bring Josh to the show. Then, 21-year-old Christina says she can't start her day without taking half a bottle of cough medicine. Her four-year addiction to robo-tripping is spiraling so far out of control, she fears her days are numbered. What will it take for Christina to kick her habit? Plus, a mom whose son died from an overdose of over-the-counter drugs shares her tragic story.  Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More December 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

December 28, 2006, 10:55 am CST

Stephen's Mother

Quote From: bre412

How is Stephen doiing?  I hope since the show he is doing much better and a better question is how are you doing?  A single mother of 3, I stand up an applaud you.  I have one child and I dont see how people do it with more than one.  She is the best kid in the world, but the world is what I worry about.  What will it be like when she gets older, did I raise her right, did I teach her right from wrong, but it sounds like in this world things like this dont matter some how they get mixed up into drugs somehow and we do not know how, why or even when....

Please let us know how you and your family are doing.

I knew Stephen's mother when they lived in the midwest.  Believe me, she should not be applauded for her actions in raising her three children.  Stephen and her daughter had little to no attention from her.  She was too busy finding a man and pleasing herself.  Anyone who knew her will confirm this.  Is it any wonder her children are now paying the consequences of being raised by her? 

December 28, 2006, 8:20 pm CST

What are...........

Quote From: kr68tgr

I live in a suburb of a big city, and it is devistating what these kids are doing.  Not only kids but we also have a 20 yr old who almost died from taking "too much" Nyquil.  To top it off the 20 yr old hangs with 15 yr old kids and gets them doing this ****.  Huffing paint, "Skittles", cough medicine, allergy pills..whatever they can get their grubby hands on.  Oh to top it off, they steal it from the local grocery store.

Dr. Phil I am so glad you are doing this story because when I start to talk about this with other adults, they are clueless and shocked

Worried About Our Kids in The Suburbs

Skittles?  I am one of those naive parents who is raising a beautiful daughter.  I want to keep her safe and from harms way.  Any input would be appreciated....

December 28, 2006, 9:45 pm CST

12/19 Generation Rx

Quote From: bre412

Skittles?  I am one of those naive parents who is raising a beautiful daughter.  I want to keep her safe and from harms way.  Any input would be appreciated....
skittles is a code name/slang for coricidin cold and cough because they look like skittles pretty self explanitory.....they're my preference of dxm(the main ingredient in all of these medicines)...... there are 30mg of dxm in one tablet

January 8, 2007, 5:54 am CST

drugs

kids will do drugs no matter how you parent them. and most likely you will never find out. i just left a school that was full of drugs to a school with no drugs. i found out yesterday that all my friends went from marijuana and pills to cocaine and acid. its pretty messed up. there parents have no idea. and they wont no at less the drug test them. NOT A URINE TEST. that doesnt show anything important. give them a hair folicle test by there physician. you will find out there drug past. do it if u suspect coke and bad things. marijuana is not a big deal. sooo get over it. teen drinking is bad but no one cares. peaceee.

January 9, 2007, 8:38 am CST

Ricky Risky

I think that parents should know what kind of things to look for in their kids. I was addicted to meth and heroin when I was younger. I have been off of like "street drugs" for a couple years now. But part of me thought that using other things wasn't as dangerous. Had I heard about the robitussin and the other legal things you could use to get high I definitely would have immediately gone out and done it. I think it was kind of irresponsible to tell kids that didn't already know, that these are things that could get them high.

January 17, 2007, 5:06 pm CST

replying to the message befor this one

Quote From: csmother

Ironically, the provincial government is running a Task Force looking into issues surrounding the Methadone Maintenance Treatement Program next month.  I have already requested an appointment to present to this Task Force, so that they can take into consideration what's happening to teenaged kids when their program's drugs are diverted to non-patients.

I have yet to address other issues like education, awareness, and hopefully a private member's bill with my Member of Provincial Parliament, because I will NOT sit back and let this happen to another parent or child without trying to do my best to prevent it.  My hard lesson learned will hopefully be an easier lesson to learn for someone else.

As for the comments of others about calling the police and trying being a good parent instead, all I can say is this.  In the mental state my son was in at the time, he wanted to kill his father and likely would have tried it had he been able to lay his hands on a weapon.  End result was that by calling the police, we were being good parents by allowing better trained professionals than ourselves to deal with the situation.  And it's understanding when you can't do anymore and need external help, that makes a parent a good parent.

ok so someone said that this kid was selling Ridilen for 10.00 a pop, that is what happened at my old middle school and the people got suspended for it. also just to set people straight about the whole ADD/HD and the meds making them more suseptable to using other drugs, that is not the case most of the time. I got this source from ADDITUDE, an ADHD magazene with lots of useful informaiton. I have also learned from my own experence that trying drugs leagle or over the counter isn't for me, I don't want that 'high' feeling I am already in Alice's 'Wonderland' when I don't take my ADD meds. I was finally diagnosed with it my Senior year of HS. The only major side effect is weight loss, 18 lbs in 7 months, but now I am at a steady weight of 100 lbs, good for my 5'1" frame. My only wish is that my parents had looked into this sooner, not that I am blaiming it all on them, Mom just thought it was my LD, but now being 20 and learing as much as I can about the situation I am in, I feel more in controle. Like with anything that is 'different' whether it is bipolar, depression or just something like a food alergy, you take what is given to you and you live the best you can, whatever path you choose just remember to do your homework, and don't harp on people because there way isn't how you would choose to do it.

Thanks renthead07

March 29, 2007, 8:22 am CDT

Stephen

Quote From: hoosierstate

I knew Stephen's mother when they lived in the midwest.  Believe me, she should not be applauded for her actions in raising her three children.  Stephen and her daughter had little to no attention from her.  She was too busy finding a man and pleasing herself.  Anyone who knew her will confirm this.  Is it any wonder her children are now paying the consequences of being raised by her? 
I could connect with Stephen's mother, but I had such heartfelt sadness for Stephen.  I hope he is doing well.  He touched my heart.  I wish I had known about Dr. Lawless dianostic center years ago.

First | Prev | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | Next Page | Last Page