Message Boards

Topic : 12/19 Generation Rx

Number of Replies: 347
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 22, 2006, 12:21:33 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 09/27/06) Parents, you might be your kids' drug dealer. They could be getting high from products in your pantry, under your sink, or in your medicine cabinet. Dana says her 16-year-old son, Josh, has been experimenting with over-the-counter drugs. She says he's downed bottles of NyQuil, packs of cold pills and an entire bottle of mouthwash -- all in an effort to get high. See what drastic measures she took to bring Josh to the show. Then, 21-year-old Christina says she can't start her day without taking half a bottle of cough medicine. Her four-year addiction to robo-tripping is spiraling so far out of control, she fears her days are numbered. What will it take for Christina to kick her habit? Plus, a mom whose son died from an overdose of over-the-counter drugs shares her tragic story.  Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More December 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 27, 2006, 11:54 am CDT

UMM

Quote From: cheeker

Come on, anybody who is clueless and shocked by this news must be living under a rock. If your teen is in such a need for a high that they're grabbing paint thinner from your garage, you're either the most naive adult in the world or you're job is taking WAY too much attention away from your family. That's a sure sign that your teen has already experimented with other more conventional illegal drugs, and if that's not obvious, I pity you.

Robo-tripping has been around for at least 10 years. Let's cut the "Whatsa matta with kids today?" routine.
Of course it's been going on for years. That's not the point. The point is for parents to learn. This way we can intervene and save a life. Hey, if you don't like the subject matter. Don't watch the show.  Kids are clever, they can "huff" magic markers and correction fluid when the teacher isn't looking. They can "huff" aerosol deordorant in the locker room at school. They don't have to be at home to do it!!!  "Naive adult" I noticed you didn't say "parent". 

September 27, 2006, 12:46 pm CDT

I can relate

I hope you see this Dr. Phil. I also hope this reaches others who have struggled with Roboing or Robotizing. A young woman I saw described it as floating. The reason this OTC drug is so addicting is because it has multiple facets of highs experienced and the high lasts a long time. But please know that over time it takes away your memory and personality. The feeling that you are Gumby may seem fun and the feeling of being in an altered consciousness is your braincells being depleted at an alarming rate. My last high from this drug was 5+ years ago and I STILL have problems as a result of this drug. It is very difficult to get off of because your brain craves the ingredients in it because the part of the brain that is inactive when not using such a drug in large quantities becomes very active and thrives for the 8-12 hours after use. Its hard to explain other than to say there hasnt been an illegal drug that has had the overpowering mental pull that Robotussin does. I want to let these teens and young adults know that if you want to live then stop now please. My last time I had to be brought back to life because I drank 32 oz of it at once and my heart nearly exploded in my chest. Again think about it. Get into an environment for about 3-4 weeks that has no temptations and when that time is over look back on the severity of what this has caused your life to be in turmoil and you will see that getting off of this will save your life. Thank you for your time.

September 27, 2006, 12:47 pm CDT

09/27 Generation Rx

My brother got involved with stealing and using drugs at a very young age. He comitted suicide in June of 2002, after taking over the counter medications. Anyone that is doing this really to STOP it will end up hurting or maybe even killing you.

September 27, 2006, 12:52 pm CDT

09/27 Generation Rx

Quote From: rswaneck

Skittles refers to someone who huffs paint.  Different colors...  Also it can refer to someone who takes different meds together to see what affect they get.  They don't think about drug interactions or how one could actually kill them.

When I was a Freshman, we did "skittles" but it wasn't huffing, they were coracidin, the cold and cough medicine

September 27, 2006, 12:55 pm CDT

Wake up

I am a 22 year old newlywed and I can't believe the responses that are on here!!!! I WAS addicted to pot and pills for over 3 years. I couldn't  go a day without getting high. My family NEVER had a clue that I was even involved with people who did those things. I was using and selling on a regular basis. I have seen CLOSE FRIENDS die from it, total multiple vehicles because of it and much more! None of those things ever changed my mind about what I was doing. You can't win people over from the drug side of life. I new what I was doing and I knew that I could EASILY go to jail or die any second of any day. Don't fool yourselves into thinking that you can save someone or that they don't realize what they are doing. If you think someone you know has a problem with drugs.....get them help. Don't ask if they want it. They don't trust me. I quit on my own when I realized where I was headed. I think the only reason that happened for me is because I was raised in a VERY VERY christian home. So, don't think that because someone goes to church and/or was raised in church that they aren't doing these things. Even more.....don't think that you can save them.

Most of all........open your eyes and wake up. If you think that kids as young as 10 can't be doing drugs....YOU ARE WAY WRONG!!!!! Like I said.....I was drinking and smoking pot every single day for over 3 years and no one knew that I didn't want them to know. Don't try to fool yourselves....just wake up and look at reality. PLEASE.

And for the boy who was on the show and said he had already quit.....my gut feeling is that he hasn't. Just by watching him on the show.....he is hiding something.

September 27, 2006, 1:00 pm CDT

A teacher says...

Due to a prior committment, I SADLY cannot watch this show. However, I will say that as a former high school (and middle school) teacher, I have seen TOO many GOOD kids come in to school each morning under the influence. When alcohol or mary Jane is to blame, we can usually tell. But when it's something that has little smell and doesn't affect the pupils as much, it's not so easy to tell.

It's up to YOU PARENTS to please take time for your children. Talk with them DAILY and NIGHTLY. Lie down with them for a few minutes (at least) before they go to sleep each night. Go over their homework with them. SHOW THEM YOU CARE. If more parents would spend more time with the children they CHOSE to bring into this world, we would have much fewer SAD kids!

It's the unhappy kids (mainly) that are trying to find happiness in bad substances. Don't wait until it is too late. Deep down you KNOW if you're kid is happy, if he or she is hanging with a "bad crowd" and if he/she has emotional problems. If that's the case, don't sit on your hands and HOPE something will happen. Get help for YOUR CHILD and FOR YOU! You owe it to your innocent child who didn't ask to be born.

God bless all those parents who take time for their children and work hard to see that they are happy, healthy and well-adjusted...KUDOS to you! And God bless all those parents who are simply misguided or LOST. There IS help for you. Start seeking it...it will be worth your time!

September 27, 2006, 1:05 pm CDT

PARENTS, TALK TO YOUR CHILDREN NOW

While we're on the dangerous substances subject,

MOTHERS, please constantly tell your daughters about the dangers of illegal drugs being put into their drinks without their knowledge.

They should NEVER leave their drinks unattended for even a second. If they do, they need to dispose of that drink and buy another one.

My husband, a federal officer, has seen TOO MANY tapes of young women who became victims of men (often college "boys") who have be raped repeatedly by one or more scumbags who put something in the beverages. These "boys" were often from GOOD homes with GOOD incomes and GOOD educational levels. But the bottom line is that they were looking to do harm to these young women and the women made it EASY by letting down their guard.

PLEASE PARENTS...talk to your kids (especially teenage kids and college kids) about the dangers out there. They can't afford to be naieve. It could cost them their lives...or at a minimum, their feelings of security and respect.

September 27, 2006, 1:05 pm CDT

Ask Dr. Phil says "Lets get real..."

I am 21 years old and have been graduated from high school for three years.   I remember this stuff going on back when I was in high school.  This is nothing new.  Get real and don't let your kids walk all over you. 

September 27, 2006, 1:21 pm CDT

its been going on for years!!

I'm 24 and I was doing this when I was 16. But one night I almost ODed. It took almost dieing to get me to stop.

September 27, 2006, 1:23 pm CDT

Parents BEWARE!!!

My 14 year old step daughter was going though this same thing here in Kansas and we had her drug tested on our own several times but  she got tired of being tested and tired of us always in her business and she turned us into the school counselor and got herself taken away and put into foster care because the state said that she was "too young" to be doing this on her own so we as her parents must have given this stuff to her. Now we have been fighting the state and SRS since Feb. 2006 to get her back. BEWARE... states  and schools do not want to believe that kids are smart enough to think about this stuff on their own and have taken ALL control away from the parents. Our hands are tied by the state and we are the bad ones in this sad case.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last