Message Boards

Topic : 12/19 Generation Rx

Number of Replies: 347
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 22, 2006, 12:21:33 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 09/27/06) Parents, you might be your kids' drug dealer. They could be getting high from products in your pantry, under your sink, or in your medicine cabinet. Dana says her 16-year-old son, Josh, has been experimenting with over-the-counter drugs. She says he's downed bottles of NyQuil, packs of cold pills and an entire bottle of mouthwash -- all in an effort to get high. See what drastic measures she took to bring Josh to the show. Then, 21-year-old Christina says she can't start her day without taking half a bottle of cough medicine. Her four-year addiction to robo-tripping is spiraling so far out of control, she fears her days are numbered. What will it take for Christina to kick her habit? Plus, a mom whose son died from an overdose of over-the-counter drugs shares her tragic story.  Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More December 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 23, 2006, 9:17 am CDT

SKITTLES

I live in a suburb of a big city, and it is devistating what these kids are doing.  Not only kids but we also have a 20 yr old who almost died from taking "too much" Nyquil.  To top it off the 20 yr old hangs with 15 yr old kids and gets them doing this ****.  Huffing paint, "Skittles", cough medicine, allergy pills..whatever they can get their grubby hands on.  Oh to top it off, they steal it from the local grocery store.

Dr. Phil I am so glad you are doing this story because when I start to talk about this with other adults, they are clueless and shocked

Worried About Our Kids in The Suburbs

September 23, 2006, 12:15 pm CDT

this isnt new

I'm surprised so many people are surprised to find out kids do this... it ISNT NEW.. its been going on for DECADES... i knew kids who were "drinking" nyquil and cough syrup and mouthwash in 1990, when i was in middle school... and the parents medicince cabinet... thats always happened too, i was guilty of it as a teen (but luckily i never got hooked).  remember Whipites? they were the old fashioned versin of "dusting" (sucking the chemical stuff out of aerosol cans).  With dusting its "just air" so kids think its safe, but it's fatal.  These "tricks" are not new.. they have just evolved with new names and some new products.

I'm still glad DR phil is doing this show, I know there must be TONS of naive parents out there, and i'm gonna watch it, if i'm not busy, just to see if they're something i've never heard of. 

September 23, 2006, 1:18 pm CDT

The KIDS THINK THAT IT CAN'T HAPPEN TO "ME"

The Kids where I live have been doing this for at least 2 years as I have been told. The thing is they think that it won't happen to them. They are not afraid. They even brag about how many allergy and cold  medicines that they have popped.  In our closest hospitals, all the alcohol swabs are locked up with a key because people of all ages were going to the ER's to get high from the alcohol swabs that are used to give injections, etc.  I have heard alot about this becuase I am a medical assistant.

I can't understand why kids think becuase it's OTC that it is safe and that whatever medication they take will make them high. Parents have no idea, of how common this is. Alot of parents don't like to believe that this problem exists.  It is very important that Dr. Phil is having this subject on his show, to bring attention to this growing problem.

Lioness376-(medical assistant).

September 23, 2006, 1:57 pm CDT

09/27 Generation Rx

JUST a little FYI for all you parents..KIDS have been doing this since the 70's. I was one of them. We had alot more potent street drugs availiable to us back then. And were in abundance at school. I can remember one time purchasing what we called M AND M'S. They were a small round red pills that were highly intoxicating. I remember taking one, i did not feel the effects so i took another one. The next thing i remember was being in the principals office waiting for my Dad to come down and get me..could not even talk or walk.They acted as a downer on the user.Boy did i get in trouble for that :)

September 23, 2006, 2:34 pm CDT

Worried About Kids in The Suburbs

Quote From: kr68tgr

I live in a suburb of a big city, and it is devistating what these kids are doing.  Not only kids but we also have a 20 yr old who almost died from taking "too much" Nyquil.  To top it off the 20 yr old hangs with 15 yr old kids and gets them doing this ****.  Huffing paint, "Skittles", cough medicine, allergy pills..whatever they can get their grubby hands on.  Oh to top it off, they steal it from the local grocery store.

Dr. Phil I am so glad you are doing this story because when I start to talk about this with other adults, they are clueless and shocked

Worried About Our Kids in The Suburbs

This may be coming from left field but maybe the trouble with the kids in the suburbs is the suburbs themselves. There is no town, community, or extended families to which children belong. If it takes a village to raise a child how do you raise a child without the village. Cars give young people far too much power and the ability to be alone and unsupervised by adults. Worse still is the measure of affluence that gives older children far too much free time when they should be studying, doing chores, working part time, or playing sports. Not sports of the organized and regulated but being outside doing healthy stuff. Where does a kid go to hang out when you live in the burbs and the kid is bored to death? We say we are buying homes to raise our families but are we building communities for them? Are there youth centers where kids can go to play or get help with their homework? And how will they get there? Maybe the suburbs we invented in the 50's are a poor substitute for the communities they left behind. I raised my kids in big city by choice. I live in a community within it where my children where known by name and people knew where I lived. I knew where they liked to hang out, where they played touch football and where they were after school. I knew their parents and teachers. My apartment was a hub of activity for board games and potato chips or just hanging out watching TV. My point is that kids used to have a place to be and plenty of people around to keep them out of trouble. We called them parents. Aurea Andino

September 23, 2006, 6:23 pm CDT

I can not wait to see this

I have a 16 yr. old, that has stolen from me. Not just over the counter drugs but my prescriptions. I have them locked in a box, he still got into it. So we put the lock box in a locked cabnit, he still got it. I went so far to call the police. All they did was tell him to go to bed or I brought him into this world. He has ran away several times. I have filed incorigable charges. He is on house arrest right now ready to go to court this week. They will probuly put him on probation. Then I will have to pay the fees. I don't have the money to do it. I just hope it isn't waisted. The police in this small town will not help parents who are trying to stop this kind of thing from going on. Instead of helping, they are contribuating to the problem.                                                            Becky

September 23, 2006, 7:28 pm CDT

generation RX

i have a friend whos she thought her outside air conditer needed freon,she knew it was a new unit,so when she called service man out there he told her there was no leak

she found out by a son her younger son was huffing off it.a kid in the neighborhood showed him how to do it.also grandson was in 9th grade durning 5th hr which is almost school day gone a young girl had a bottle,which they was allowed ot bring to class as long as it was not glass,i guess kids didnt beleive her so when teacher turned around they was smelling bottle it had wine in it.she ahd gone all day long drinking wine,now to me ifyou make it to 5th hr you done this before cause thr fist 2 hrs of school you would show signs of something going on.teacher took bottle and girl to office.the kids dont have to buy st drugs no more they or now into just using what they can get there hands on,if they dont know kid down st does.sad

September 23, 2006, 7:30 pm CDT

genration Rx

Quote From: wobbly99

This may be coming from left field but maybe the trouble with the kids in the suburbs is the suburbs themselves. There is no town, community, or extended families to which children belong. If it takes a village to raise a child how do you raise a child without the village. Cars give young people far too much power and the ability to be alone and unsupervised by adults. Worse still is the measure of affluence that gives older children far too much free time when they should be studying, doing chores, working part time, or playing sports. Not sports of the organized and regulated but being outside doing healthy stuff. Where does a kid go to hang out when you live in the burbs and the kid is bored to death? We say we are buying homes to raise our families but are we building communities for them? Are there youth centers where kids can go to play or get help with their homework? And how will they get there? Maybe the suburbs we invented in the 50's are a poor substitute for the communities they left behind. I raised my kids in big city by choice. I live in a community within it where my children where known by name and people knew where I lived. I knew where they liked to hang out, where they played touch football and where they were after school. I knew their parents and teachers. My apartment was a hub of activity for board games and potato chips or just hanging out watching TV. My point is that kids used to have a place to be and plenty of people around to keep them out of trouble. We called them parents. Aurea Andino
i agree with you,there is no place safe kdis to go any more we think so much of a strip mall going up not the kids,if there weas a place kids cant afford to use it this is why so many kids or out roaming streets with nothing to do cause there is no where for them to go.

September 23, 2006, 8:48 pm CDT

09/27 Generation Rx

wat the heck r they thinking couph medacine
most of the time it takes a hasle just to get kids to drink it when there sick
now there trien to freaken get high on it thats sick

September 23, 2006, 10:36 pm CDT

09/27 Generation Rx

This is a very important topic.  I am glad we are discussing it now.  This is a lead-in to drug abuse.  Believe me-I've been there.  My drug addiction in my 20s which included just about every drug you can imagine may have began with the mini thins I took at age 13 in middle school.  We used to buy bottles and take 10-20 per person, always bragging about how many we took.  I wish I would have known at 13 what I know now.  Thank God I was able to escape my miserable life of drug abuse.  If I ever had the opportunity to tell my story, I would love to share.  I went from a straight A student and a person who held a $40,000 per year management job at 22 years old to a street person.  I was on the streets for 2 years doing unimaginable things to survive and keep my drug habit up.  I am one of the few who escaped this terrible lifestyle. Thank God I am alive!  It makes me so sad to see others using.  A drug is a drug, and they are all dangerous.  People also need to realize that just because a subtance is legal, doesn't mean it is ok to ingest.  I hope Dr. Phil mentions that there is always something else behind using drugs.  It is usually because people have unresolved issues that they don't want to face.  There is some reason that people want to be high.  I think there must be something wrong that they don't want to deal with. There is a reason the user doesn't want to be "normal".  Even when people say they use drugs because of peer pressure.  I think that is caused from other issues, possibly insecurity or wanting to belong. God bless Dr. Phil for doing a show on such an important issue.  Hopefully there will be some kids watching-it could save some lives.  If any parents need me to explain what I went through to their children, I would be happy to share.  My story is unbelievable.  I now have a one year old daughter.  When she is mature enough to understand, I am going to take her to the place I used to hang out (as long as it is safe enough).  I want to show and tell her what I went through.  I am not proud of it, but I can't help to wonder if it would have changed some of my decisions.  I knew crack cocaine was "bad", but I didn't understand that I could use it one time and lose everything I owned, including my self-love within two months.  How was I supposed to understand that someone could go from the Dean's List in college and an active member of church to jail within a year?  It is so very sad.  I was one of those people who thought it could never happen to me, and people who used drugs were stupid and losers.  But, I like to think that I am stronger now, and it has humbled me.  I pray that God uses me to help others who go through this terrible sickness.  I am in college now,  again, studying to be a registered nurse.  Hopefully, I can work at a rehabilitation service to help others.  I want anyone who is reading this who is fighting a drug addiction to know you can stop.  I know that is feels like you can't, but you can.  Please get help-before you hurt yourself or someone else more.  There are people out there willing to help....God Bless You All!

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last