Message Boards

Topic : 09/29 Wedding Dos and Don'ts

Number of Replies: 116
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 22, 2006, 12:25:02 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Planning the wedding of your dreams can quickly turn into a nightmare. What is supposed to be a bonding experience between moms and daughters often turns into a battleground over everything from money to cake! Kristina and her mom, Cheri, know this all too well. Kristina says her mom’s lies are tearing their relationship apart, and if things don't change, she's uninviting her to the wedding! Will Cheri learn honesty is the best policy, and walk beside her daughter down the aisle? Then, get a front-row seat and behind-the-scenes look at the most special day in Dr. Phil and Robin's life: Jay's wedding. See the preparation, the ceremony and the huge celebration. Plus, the surprise gift of a lifetime from Jay's younger brother, Jordan, and the unique ideas that made this day one the McGraw's will treasure forever. Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More September 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 23, 2006, 8:53 am CDT

LIFE LESSON

It took a while, but I've learned from MY experience/mistakes, and many friends:

IT'S NOT ABOUT THE WEDDING -- IT'S ABOUT THE MARRIAGE !!!!

September 23, 2006, 1:12 pm CDT

Once a bully always a bully......

Isn't the reason for getting married for legal reasons, and the "old-fashioned" idea of til death do us part?

If you have been living together for how many ever years, playing house, and the only thing missing is the legal document don't bully someone into marrying you.  All that does is cause a lawyer to get excited for the ending to begin.

In Texas, if you live together for 6mo. you are considered married..move there if its so important to you. 

If its for the childrens last names just give them Daddys last name....

You want to be happy about your life not fighting for what YOU want.  Think about the whole picture, not just your piece of the puzzle.

September 23, 2006, 6:07 pm CDT

work on the marriage!!!!!

Quote From: oldcars1

It took a while, but I've learned from MY experience/mistakes, and many friends:

AMEN!    I am afraid many couples focus so much on the wedding that they forget that the marriage will be the important part, with hard work, fights, wonderful times all wrapped up together!

We've been married 30 years!  and have signed on for an additional 30!

September 24, 2006, 8:23 am CDT

Yup!

Quote From: crystalwhe

AMEN!    I am afraid many couples focus so much on the wedding that they forget that the marriage will be the important part, with hard work, fights, wonderful times all wrapped up together!

We've been married 30 years!  and have signed on for an additional 30!

It really does seem like that! My husband and I eloped, and are so glad that we didn't have a wedding. It would've been sooooo stressful, and marriage is stressful enough. My husband is afraid that I'll come to resent not having a wedding, but I figure we can do it after ten years of marriage as a celebration. But the wedding isn't the important part to me. Being with the man I love and can't live without, and making our relationship work is what's most important to me! I don't need the frills.

September 24, 2006, 11:24 am CDT

wedding's dos and don'ts

Dr. Phil and guest, My daughter Maureen will be married today September 29, 2006 to the man she loves. Like a great mother I am, I let her do what she wanted as far as all the plans were.  was told by many family members that my daughter should have written no gifts please for her second marriage on the invites. I felt that this was rude and so many family members are choosing not to attend. I feel this is fine, I want my daughter to be happy and if a chuch wedding is what she wants she should have what she wants. Maureen didn't have the church wedding first time.. David and Maureen were married in 2001 in a outdoor ceremony and now they are getting married in a church. they have 4 small children. My husband family is the ones who complained about the first wedding and they are now complaining again the church one. It took 5 years for the church wedding to happen due to the priest didn't want to marry a Catholic member to  a non Cathoic member. We over came it,My advise to all couple is DO WHAT YOU WANT IT'S YOUR DAY NO ONE ELSES. DON'T LET FAMILY PUSH YOU AGAINST EACH OTHER. IF THEY COME TO IT FINE, IF NOT SO BE IT.  THIS IS YOUR DAY ENJOY IT..... I SPENT $3,000 IN GIVING MY DAUGHTER JOY ON HER DAY .IF MY HUSBANDS FAMILY DON'T LIKE IT THEY CAN EAT CROWWWWWWWW...... GOOD LUCK TO ALL THOSE WHO ARE GETTING MARRIED....

September 24, 2006, 4:30 pm CDT

back to basics

Quote From: oldcars1

DO be pedantic about making a marriage committment think, rethink and think again...

DONT be pedantic about the reception, just plan it as you would any other party...enjoy yourself making sure your guests are enjoying themselves.

September 24, 2006, 8:34 pm CDT

No wedding presents

Quote From: tinytimm4

Dr. Phil and guest, My daughter Maureen will be married today September 29, 2006 to the man she loves. Like a great mother I am, I let her do what she wanted as far as all the plans were.  was told by many family members that my daughter should have written no gifts please for her second marriage on the invites. I felt that this was rude and so many family members are choosing not to attend. I feel this is fine, I want my daughter to be happy and if a chuch wedding is what she wants she should have what she wants. Maureen didn't have the church wedding first time.. David and Maureen were married in 2001 in a outdoor ceremony and now they are getting married in a church. they have 4 small children. My husband family is the ones who complained about the first wedding and they are now complaining again the church one. It took 5 years for the church wedding to happen due to the priest didn't want to marry a Catholic member to  a non Cathoic member. We over came it,My advise to all couple is DO WHAT YOU WANT IT'S YOUR DAY NO ONE ELSES. DON'T LET FAMILY PUSH YOU AGAINST EACH OTHER. IF THEY COME TO IT FINE, IF NOT SO BE IT.  THIS IS YOUR DAY ENJOY IT..... I SPENT $3,000 IN GIVING MY DAUGHTER JOY ON HER DAY .IF MY HUSBANDS FAMILY DON'T LIKE IT THEY CAN EAT CROWWWWWWWW...... GOOD LUCK TO ALL THOSE WHO ARE GETTING MARRIED....

I found a couple of online wedding etiquette sites that said  that your are absolutely right!  It is actually rude to mention gifts in any way--including stating "no gifts, please:  on an invitation--because mentioning gifts implies that you are expecting them.  So don't feel bad if they decided not to come.  Not attending a wedding because you don't like the invitation seems rather petty to me.  The point of etiquette is to help people feel comfortable in social situations  In addition to being wrong, they were rude to comment about it in the first place.

Happiness to the re-newlyweds!

September 25, 2006, 1:21 pm CDT

Memories of my wedding

I am the youngest of five girls and the last to get married at age 35.  I looked forward to this day and enjoyed working with my mother on the plans for the wedding.  Even though it was the first and only wedding for both my husband and I, we paid for our wedding ourselves working a 2nd job each for the money needed.  We were happy about this arrangement.  My mother was a great deal of help though out the planning and gave us great advice.  On the day before our wedding, emotions boiled over and my mother and I got in a huge argument over how the ham was to be sliced.  I was angry to the point of walking out of my parents home.  Of course we came back shortly to apologize.  Before going back into the house one of my sisters got to me, laughing her head off.  Her comment to me was "it was about time I got my turn".  All of my sisters had gone though this with my mom.

I think that not matter how much you love your mother, or how well you have gotten along with her during the planning stages, at some point emotions are going to boil over.  You are trying to plan the day of your dreams.  Wanting everything to be perfect.  Nothing in life is perfect and your mother doesn't mind pointing that out to you.

It was a wonderful day and one month shy of being nine years, I won't change a thing about my wedding.

September 25, 2006, 3:01 pm CDT

It wont work

It wont work.  We really loved each other.  He said he wanted to marry me but backed out after a year.  After four years of this, I told him marry me or get out of my life.  The marriage lasted 3 months.  Now he is out of my life for the past 17 years.

September 25, 2006, 4:39 pm CDT

09/29 Wedding Dos and Don'ts

Quote From: sherry2006

It wont work.  We really loved each other.  He said he wanted to marry me but backed out after a year.  After four years of this, I told him marry me or get out of my life.  The marriage lasted 3 months.  Now he is out of my life for the past 17 years.

Right. You can love each other in many ways. Not necessarily under the same roof, though. Pressuring someone into marriage, not matter how "in love" with you they might seem, can backfire.

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last