Message Boards

Topic : 09/29 Wedding Dos and Don'ts

Number of Replies: 116
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 22, 2006, 12:25:02 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Planning the wedding of your dreams can quickly turn into a nightmare. What is supposed to be a bonding experience between moms and daughters often turns into a battleground over everything from money to cake! Kristina and her mom, Cheri, know this all too well. Kristina says her mom’s lies are tearing their relationship apart, and if things don't change, she's uninviting her to the wedding! Will Cheri learn honesty is the best policy, and walk beside her daughter down the aisle? Then, get a front-row seat and behind-the-scenes look at the most special day in Dr. Phil and Robin's life: Jay's wedding. See the preparation, the ceremony and the huge celebration. Plus, the surprise gift of a lifetime from Jay's younger brother, Jordan, and the unique ideas that made this day one the McGraw's will treasure forever. Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More September 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 29, 2006, 1:59 pm CDT

Really didn't need to see Jay's wedding

I enjoy the Dr. Phil show and his no nonsense approach.  But, the footage of Jay's wedding, the footage of Dr. Phil's first movie appearance, etc, is just too much for me.  I watched the first part of today's show, then surfed the net while barely listening to the rest of the show that focused on Jay's wedding.

I don't think glamorizing celebrity lives is healthy.  That's why I don't approve of People, US Weekly, etc magazines in the waiting areas of mental health practitioners.  It is enough just to create your own life to live without being overrun with air-brushed images and PR-scripted articles.

I understand the pride and joy of parents when their children wed.  But please don't share it with the viewing public on network TV.  It's too much, and it is private.

klh

September 29, 2006, 2:03 pm CDT

09/29 Wedding Dos and Don'ts

Quote From: lostsoul2s

The Best Is Yet To Be

On your joyful wedding day,
You begin a brand new life.
Friends and family give their gifts
To joyful husband, blissful wife.

But the greatest gift you'll ever get,
A gift from heaven above,
Is love forever, ending never,
Everlasting love.

You'll share life's joy and pleasure;
You'll have plenty of that, it's true.
But love is the real treasure
For your new spouse and you.

And if life hands you challenges,
As it does to one and all,
Your love will hold you steady
And never let you fall.

You wedding day is full of joy;
Tomorrow you cannot see.
But one thing's sure for the two of you:
The best is yet to be.

By Joanna Fuchs

Robin and Dr Phil thank you so much for sharing your handsome son Jay and beautiful daughter In-law Erica's wedding with us .... it was the most beautiful wedding I have ever seen.

And Robin you are so beautiful and I just loved the dress you wore : )

Dear Dr. Phil and Robin,

I cried when I saw the wedding you so graciously allowed to air on t.v.  Congratulations to all of you and thank you so much for sharing this absolutely gorgeous wedding. 

Love,

Nikki

September 29, 2006, 2:22 pm CDT

moms

I was married this past July and my mother passed away the may before.  so, when I watch shows were mothers and daughters are arguing and fighting about portions of the wedding it infuriates me.  I would have loved to argued with my mother about prices of things, the color of the napkins, the meals on the table, the flowers, ect. ect.  however, I was not able to, my mother died 3 months before the wedding.  these brides and mother's of the bride need to just be grateful that they are able to be at the wedding and stop complaining about things that in the long run don't really matter. 

September 29, 2006, 2:37 pm CDT

Who should pay for the wedding

In a day and age where more and more parents are in debt and filing for bankruptcy as a result of the tradition of providing for their kids, who should pay for the wedding? While the tradition has been the parents of the kids pay, what a better way to learn financial responsibility than for those who are going to jump into the bonds of marriage to pay for it themselves. It will teach them budgeting, learning about binding contracts, and planning. The best way not to have fights with parents and other family about the special day is to pay for it yourselves and tell everyone that you are going to make the decisions about what you want. If you cant afford to get married, how will you afford to be married? If you want privacy after getting married, you have to plan to move out on your own and not move in with the parents which will require additional budgeting and planning.

September 29, 2006, 2:53 pm CDT

SOOOO???

Quote From: cheriwork

To all of those people that will watch my daughter Krissy and I on the show to air on Sept 29,  I want people to know that I have been the best Mother that I could possibly have been.  There have been things that have been done on both sides, I am not an abusive Mother and I am not a Liar, there comes a time when you just have to say yeah yeah because the money at times that has been alocated for the wedding has not been used for wedding things.  My children have been given everything that they could possibly been given, and when they donot get what they want they call me names and belittle me until they get what they want.  Our daughter will have a beautiful wedding and hopefully a beautiful married life,  I had hoped that the show would help let her know that calling names and screaming at me is not the way to get things done or what you need.  The people that know me think that I am crazy because I have given and given and done without many times to do for our children.  Of our children were abused trust me it would have been justified not that abuse is ever justified in any way but they donot respect me my son asked me today what I was going to do with my life and I told him keep picking up after you kids and I asked him what he was going to do with his life and he told me " wait til you die so I can get your insurance money so hurry and die".  My children donot respect me and they feel that if they call me names and get me upset they will sooner or later get what they want because they will hurt my feelings until I cave in.  Know that there is nothing I would not do for anyone that needs help but know that I have been the best Mother that I could be.  After this I donot even know if I want to go to the wedding my heart is broken as it has been for many times.  I had hoped that Dr. Phil would have explained to our Daughter that you have to expect things to be done but not belittle or shame someone into doing or giving things that you want, unfortunately I look like an evil person and that is not me.  Every parent should realize donot give your children everything they want as they are growing up because it will come back to bite you.  My children are my life and a true gift from God and I couldn't Love them anymore .  Dr. Phil is a wonderful man and a brilliant man and helps many people he is a godsent and he and his family and staff are all great I am going by the book as to what he told me although this is very hard I am not going to let him down but I alway's get the blame for anything that can go or has gone wrong anything in history that has been done I know I am to blame for it.  If these kids think that tying the knot was tough wait until they learn the ropes.  My husband and I have been married for 26 years didn't have a Honeymoon and it took me 36 years to even get to Disneyland our first vacation and our Children even followed us there we have not ever had a vacation to ourselves but our Children have seen the world, so donot give your Children everything they want so they will never be sad  it only creates monsters of adults.  I am sure that our Daughters wedding will be great and a beautiful day.  I am sure that everyone will know how wonderful it is but please dont judge me from the show I am not that bad  of a person just a loving Mother.
if, as you say your kids were given EVERYTHING then what do you expect but a certain ammount of disrespect? You cannot expect to say no now and NOT expect that your children will be upset. if you had said yes earlier you'd be getting a different reaction now.

I am not comming from a place of snottness or arrogence, just making an observation on what you have said.

hope your daughters wedding goes well

September 29, 2006, 2:55 pm CDT

Did the bride's parents have any input?

The show made it seem as though this wedding was all about what Robin wanted. Traditionally, the planning is done by the bride's family according to what THEY can afford.

September 29, 2006, 2:57 pm CDT

You should give the kids a check...

Quote From: parisfan

if, as you say your kids were given EVERYTHING then what do you expect but a certain ammount of disrespect? You cannot expect to say no now and NOT expect that your children will be upset. if you had said yes earlier you'd be getting a different reaction now.

I am not comming from a place of snottness or arrogence, just making an observation on what you have said.

hope your daughters wedding goes well
for what you can afford and offer to help in any of the planning if needed, and let it go at that.

September 29, 2006, 2:59 pm CDT

Quote From: klhdepr

I enjoy the Dr. Phil show and his no nonsense approach.  But, the footage of Jay's wedding, the footage of Dr. Phil's first movie appearance, etc, is just too much for me.  I watched the first part of today's show, then surfed the net while barely listening to the rest of the show that focused on Jay's wedding.

I don't think glamorizing celebrity lives is healthy.  That's why I don't approve of People, US Weekly, etc magazines in the waiting areas of mental health practitioners.  It is enough just to create your own life to live without being overrun with air-brushed images and PR-scripted articles.

I understand the pride and joy of parents when their children wed.  But please don't share it with the viewing public on network TV.  It's too much, and it is private.

klh

I agree and felt the same.

September 29, 2006, 3:04 pm CDT

Quote From: gentlearts

The show made it seem as though this wedding was all about what Robin wanted. Traditionally, the planning is done by the bride's family according to what THEY can afford.
Why create conflict? Maybe the bride's parents didn't WANT to be showcased on television. Can't we be happy that two people had the wedding celebration of their dreams and wish them the best in their life together? Sheeesh!

September 29, 2006, 3:04 pm CDT

wedding do and donts

Was wondering why on Dr.Phil was not shown all the way through today. Missed the last 15 minutes when they brought on Jay and Erica after their honeymoon. Was wondering what had happened. They showed a rerun of the when they went to the Boston Pops and met Aerosmith.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last