Message Boards

Topic : 09/29 Wedding Dos and Don'ts

Number of Replies: 116
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 22, 2006, 12:25:02 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Planning the wedding of your dreams can quickly turn into a nightmare. What is supposed to be a bonding experience between moms and daughters often turns into a battleground over everything from money to cake! Kristina and her mom, Cheri, know this all too well. Kristina says her mom’s lies are tearing their relationship apart, and if things don't change, she's uninviting her to the wedding! Will Cheri learn honesty is the best policy, and walk beside her daughter down the aisle? Then, get a front-row seat and behind-the-scenes look at the most special day in Dr. Phil and Robin's life: Jay's wedding. See the preparation, the ceremony and the huge celebration. Plus, the surprise gift of a lifetime from Jay's younger brother, Jordan, and the unique ideas that made this day one the McGraw's will treasure forever. Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More September 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 29, 2006, 3:11 pm CDT

09/29 Wedding Dos and Don'ts

Quote From: gentlearts

The show made it seem as though this wedding was all about what Robin wanted. Traditionally, the planning is done by the bride's family according to what THEY can afford.
Again I agree

September 29, 2006, 3:16 pm CDT

Just some thoughts...

I am getting married next year and i looked forward to and enjoyed watching todays episode. While i did find Jay's wedding to be beautiful, i also thought it was just way too much. I wouldn't want anything that big, even if i could afford it or even if someone else was giving to me. Even if money is not an issue (as it likely is not for the McGraws), i still think its rediculous to spend that much on one day, no matter what the occasion. I also personally don't like being the center of attention so i just want something small, but still elegent.

I completely agree with interesting73, who said that in order to avoid fights and teach your kids finanacial responsibility and such, you should make them pay for their wedding themselves. Thats exactly what my parents did. When my sister got married they knew they wouldn't be able to afford to pay for her wedding and then pay for my future wedding as well. So we both paid for our own weddings and i wouldn't have it any other way. Planning and paying for it ourselves allowed my fiance and I to bond more, to work out financial situations together and to learn to budget together. We have had so much fun doing all the planning so far and its also great because nobody can tell us what to do for certain aspects of the wedding because its our own money we're spending. Sure we probably won't have very much money after we get married, but at least we won't be in debt and the whole situation is teaching us a lot about each other and bringing us even closer.

I recommend that couples should work together to plan and pay for their own wedding. It is their day after all, nobody else's. It's a great way to learn to start managing finances together and learn how to negotiate and solve problems as a couple. 

September 29, 2006, 3:17 pm CDT

09/29 Wedding Dos and Don'ts

Obviously, Erica and Jay's wedding was beautiful, extravagant, and every girl's dream.  Although it is wonderful to have support so grand from the groom's side, there was little to nothing in recognizing the bride's parents.  There was so much focus on Robin, and Erica's mother was left out.  My wedding was the best day of my life, and I wanted my mother to be in the spotlight as much as possible along the way.  I also wanted my mother and mother in law to both enjoy equally in the joy of that day.   It would have been much more appealing to feature Erica's mom and dad as well as Jay's.  Everyone would love a million dollar wedding if we could have it, but a million dollar wedding does not make a marriage.  I felt it was more of a "celebrity spotlight" on today's show versus the meaning of committment, love of each other and family, and what really matters.  I am not saying that the latter is not there, as I am sure it is; I am just saying that what was shown today was not foucsing on it.      

September 29, 2006, 3:36 pm CDT

Mom and Daughter

I hope that the two of them can work out their differences. As angry as she may be right now, I think that she would regret uninviting her mother.

September 29, 2006, 3:54 pm CDT

Didn't Ask for Presents

When my husband and I got married, we both had kids and separate households from earlier marriages.  Combining households was hard enough without getting wedding presents on top of that.  While we didn't say no presents on the invitations, we did tell anyone who asked what we wanted that we just wanted them at the wedding, and that we had too much stuff already. 

Some people who came brought presents anyway, of course, and I ended up sending thank you notes as soon as we got back from our honeymoon.  My husband, so helpful in other ways, would not write any thank you notes.  I felt obligated to send them, though, as soon as possible.   

September 29, 2006, 4:00 pm CDT

I loved it!

I absolutely loved the episode.  It really made me think about my wedding and how it went and how it could have went.  I am so happy for Jay and Erica.  May you both have a wonderful life together (as you like you already are).   I'm glad for you, Dr. Phil and Robin, for your son finding you such a great Daughter-in-Law.  I know that my In-Laws no longer use the term 'Daughter-in-Law'  I'm their Daughter.  And I don't use 'Mother-in-Law' and 'Father-in-Law', they are just Mom and Dad.  I hope this may be in your future.  I am so happy for all of you.  Congratulations and enjoy your lives together. 

Olivia

September 29, 2006, 4:03 pm CDT

Robin's Wedding???

Quote From: naturelady53

Again I agree
How did that happen? After all the preaching Dr. Phil did to the mother and bride on this show ,  I did not see any decision made by Erica or her parents for the Mc Graw wedding.

September 29, 2006, 4:06 pm CDT

Robin and Dr. Phil gone Hollywood?

Quote From: jodiew

Obviously, Erica and Jay's wedding was beautiful, extravagant, and every girl's dream.  Although it is wonderful to have support so grand from the groom's side, there was little to nothing in recognizing the bride's parents.  There was so much focus on Robin, and Erica's mother was left out.  My wedding was the best day of my life, and I wanted my mother to be in the spotlight as much as possible along the way.  I also wanted my mother and mother in law to both enjoy equally in the joy of that day.   It would have been much more appealing to feature Erica's mom and dad as well as Jay's.  Everyone would love a million dollar wedding if we could have it, but a million dollar wedding does not make a marriage.  I felt it was more of a "celebrity spotlight" on today's show versus the meaning of committment, love of each other and family, and what really matters.  I am not saying that the latter is not there, as I am sure it is; I am just saying that what was shown today was not foucsing on it.      
Seems so. Erica's parents seemed to just "be there", part of the decor.

September 29, 2006, 4:16 pm CDT

Do not worry

Quote From: parisfan

if, as you say your kids were given EVERYTHING then what do you expect but a certain ammount of disrespect? You cannot expect to say no now and NOT expect that your children will be upset. if you had said yes earlier you'd be getting a different reaction now.

I am not comming from a place of snottness or arrogence, just making an observation on what you have said.

hope your daughters wedding goes well
I brought up my kids alone for 17 years with no child support.  My kids do not respect me either. Neither do they have three kids each a year apart.

September 29, 2006, 4:19 pm CDT

No prominant guests were pointed out........

Quote From: quietstorm

I only caught the last few minutes of the show because I was busy but anyway, it's not that important but where was Oprah at Jay's wedding?

NOT EVEN OPRAH.  

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last