Message Boards

Topic : 10/03 Ask Dr. Phil and Robin

Number of Replies: 136
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 29, 2006, 09:45:49 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Dr. Phil has reinforcement today – Robin joins him to answer all your burning questions! They also have special help from several speakers from Women of Faith, a faith-based organization encouraging women of all ages to grow in faith and spiritual maturity. First up are best friends, Barbara and Laurie, who both suffer from agoraphobia. Laurie hates to be in crowded places, and Barbara can’t comfortably leave a five-mile radius of her home. It’s a vicious cycle they’ve been sharing for 16 years. Patsy, a Women of Faith speaker who lost six years of her life to agoraphobia, shares how the women can get over their disorder. Then, Marilyn has been afraid of catching germs since she was in the 6th grade, and even gives her friends latex gloves to wear! What’s behind her fears? And, Jodi wrote to Dr. Phil because she doesn’t trust her husband, Scott’s, ability to fly his homemade helicopter. Scott says his wife needs to be more trusting. What does Dr. Phil think? Plus, a mom who says she never puts herself first wants Robin’s help. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More October 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 5, 2006, 6:34 am CDT

10/03 Ask Dr. Phil and Robin

Quote From: purplepenny

I looked on the website for this and it doesn't say anywhere that this is a Christian conference. Not trying to argue, but the reason for my couple of posts was because it seemed a couple of people were complaining that there wasn't enough Christian stuff on the program about this conference.

I see that they have some Christian music, but I don't see where it says this is a Christian thing. That's all.
it  is actually is Christian based and I guarentee that every speaker there are Christians, I have not attended that particular conference but have heard many things about it and I have attended simalar conferences, just not as big as that one and of course everyone of all walks of life are welcome to attend these things, and if you go, you will notice that Many Bible verses are quoted and they talk about God through these things. These type of conferences are quite uplifting and would recoomend every one to go to something like these, the speakers are awesome and I again, if you ever get a chance to see Patsy Clairmont, you would absolutely love her. she is one funny lady and a good Christian woman who gives God a whole lot of credit. I am 100% positive that this is a Christian thing, just like Promise keepers for men, and every one is welcome to go to these things which I think is awesome.

October 5, 2006, 7:47 am CDT

Quote From: sbowersn6

My husband and I host a bible study in our home on Tuesday nights and have anywhere from 12-20 people each week. Many of us in this group do not typically watch your show.  This week several of our ladies attended the Women of Faith conference in Sacramento. We decided not to proceed with our study, rather watch your show which was highly promoted at the Women of Faith conference.  Dr. Phil and Robin, as a group, we were greatly disappointed......we waited and we waited....silently praying you would speak the Word.  He gave you both the venue, the opportunity, the audience, the ability to share Him.  Sadly , what we came away with, was a book promotion; not Jesus as the answer to the agorophobias - that Truth we prayed would be spoken. We will continue praying for you that God will prayerfully give you another opportunity to share His Truth and that  you will be unafraid or unashamed to speak the Truth....even at the risk of offending others. 
Well, remember this is public tv and they are not gonna promote a Christian organization and for those of you who are in doubt that this is a Christian  confernece, google it and you can read all kinds of stuff including their statement of faith and you will also read where there are some people disapointed in the fact that Robin was even a speaker at this particular conference because she has never vocalized her faith in Jesus as God and all that they promote. But overall, it is a wonderful conference and I personally think it could be a good thing that she was  key a speaker because then many women who would not attend otherwise were there and I guarentee that they came home happy and blessed that they attended. I personally would have loved to hear Robin at this confernece and would really like to hear her story and about her faith and in all honesty, I personally do not think those in charge of this conference would do anything to destroy the message that God wants all of us to hear therefore I believe Robin could have been  a good impact. I plan on getting her book and hopefully there will be more insight for me on this, I think the lady is awesome and  I personally believe that she is a woman of faith meaning she has a relationship with the Christian God and would hope that if she isn't that she would not accept an invitation to speak at the biggest Womens Christian Conference for that in it self would mean that she was more interested in promoting her book and with that I really do have my doubts that it was her intention.

October 5, 2006, 8:10 am CDT

I looked on the website for this and it doesn't say anywhere that this is a Christian conference. Not trying to argue, but the reason for my couple of posts was because it seemed a couple of people were complaining that there wasn't enough Christian stuff on the program about this conference.

I see that they have some Christian music, but I don't see where it says this is a Christian thing. That's all.
If you go to the FAQ section of the website, it states that it is an interdenominational Christian organization.

October 5, 2006, 8:15 am CDT

My husband and I host a bible study in our home on Tuesday nights and have anywhere from 12-20 people each week. Many of us in this group do not typically watch your show.  This week several of our ladies attended the Women of Faith conference in Sacramento. We decided not to proceed with our study, rather watch your show which was highly promoted at the Women of Faith conference.  Dr. Phil and Robin, as a group, we were greatly disappointed......we waited and we waited....silently praying you would speak the Word.  He gave you both the venue, the opportunity, the audience, the ability to share Him.  Sadly , what we came away with, was a book promotion; not Jesus as the answer to the agorophobias - that Truth we prayed would be spoken. We will continue praying for you that God will prayerfully give you another opportunity to share His Truth and that  you will be unafraid or unashamed to speak the Truth....even at the risk of offending others. 

The title of the show was "Ask Dr. Phil and Robin." Just because they had some women from the conference there to answer questions, doesn't mean it was going to be a religious show. I am surprised that you got that impression.

Dr. Phil probably wants to reach as wide an audience as possible. Although he may use his faith to determine how he answers questions or advise people, if he were to proselytize, he would probably lose much of his audience and not be able to reach as many people. He is a self-help guru, not a preacher.

October 5, 2006, 8:20 am CDT

I didn't see anything wrong with the show.  The Dr. Phil show is about people, not God.  A show about people who have problems and need help with it.  I don't think the cure to the agorophobics is Jesus.  Not that I would mind if Dr. Phil talked about him, but really, these people needed to hear what would help, not that believing in Jesus would take care of their problem.  I wouldn't have been satisfied if Dr. Phil told me that all I needed to do was believe in Jesus and my problem would go away and I don't think those ladies would've liked it as well.

You were disappointed in the whole show?  Just becasue they didn't talk about God?  Never mind that Dr. Phil  he was helping people.  It is possible to help people without God.

Take care.

October 5, 2006, 9:05 am CDT

Quote From: julie1418

If you go to the FAQ section of the website, it states that it is an interdenominational Christian organization.
Oh, ok. Thanks Julie. That helps, I was just trying to understand the complaints.

:o)

October 5, 2006, 9:05 am CDT

Quote From: jettav

it  is actually is Christian based and I guarentee that every speaker there are Christians, I have not attended that particular conference but have heard many things about it and I have attended simalar conferences, just not as big as that one and of course everyone of all walks of life are welcome to attend these things, and if you go, you will notice that Many Bible verses are quoted and they talk about God through these things. These type of conferences are quite uplifting and would recoomend every one to go to something like these, the speakers are awesome and I again, if you ever get a chance to see Patsy Clairmont, you would absolutely love her. she is one funny lady and a good Christian woman who gives God a whole lot of credit. I am 100% positive that this is a Christian thing, just like Promise keepers for men, and every one is welcome to go to these things which I think is awesome.
I see. Thank you Jetta. Like I said, I was just curious and trying to understand the complaints on the board.

October 5, 2006, 9:09 am CDT

Quote From: julie1418

The title of the show was "Ask Dr. Phil and Robin." Just because they had some women from the conference there to answer questions, doesn't mean it was going to be a religious show. I am surprised that you got that impression.

Dr. Phil probably wants to reach as wide an audience as possible. Although he may use his faith to determine how he answers questions or advise people, if he were to proselytize, he would probably lose much of his audience and not be able to reach as many people. He is a self-help guru, not a preacher.

I couldn't have said it better myself Julie.  I love his horse sense and even though I am an atheist I love his manner of advice.  Very funny, but also very common sense. 

I would hate for people to feel turned off from his great advice simply because of a religious difference.

October 5, 2006, 9:12 am CDT

Quote From: elffie

I didn't see anything wrong with the show.  The Dr. Phil show is about people, not God.  A show about people who have problems and need help with it.  I don't think the cure to the agorophobics is Jesus.  Not that I would mind if Dr. Phil talked about him, but really, these people needed to hear what would help, not that believing in Jesus would take care of their problem.  I wouldn't have been satisfied if Dr. Phil told me that all I needed to do was believe in Jesus and my problem would go away and I don't think those ladies would've liked it as well.

You were disappointed in the whole show?  Just becasue they didn't talk about God?  Never mind that Dr. Phil  he was helping people.  It is possible to help people without God.

Take care.

True Elffie and also, some people might feel he is a tool of God's.   I don't think Jesus can cure agoraphobia. My uncle has a social anxiety disorder and he believes in Jesus. He knows he has to do therapy and take his meds to help him with this disorder. He personally believes that these are tools of God's to help him over come his problems.

October 5, 2006, 9:37 am CDT

I couldn't have said it better myself Julie.  I love his horse sense and even though I am an atheist I love his manner of advice.  Very funny, but also very common sense. 

I would hate for people to feel turned off from his great advice simply because of a religious difference.
Yep.  I like his advice as well and I'm not Christian.  I don't care what religion he is, he is helping people, and that is good for everyone.

First | Prev | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | Next | Last