Message Boards

Topic : 10/03 Ask Dr. Phil and Robin

Number of Replies: 136
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 29, 2006, 09:45:49 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Dr. Phil has reinforcement today – Robin joins him to answer all your burning questions! They also have special help from several speakers from Women of Faith, a faith-based organization encouraging women of all ages to grow in faith and spiritual maturity. First up are best friends, Barbara and Laurie, who both suffer from agoraphobia. Laurie hates to be in crowded places, and Barbara can’t comfortably leave a five-mile radius of her home. It’s a vicious cycle they’ve been sharing for 16 years. Patsy, a Women of Faith speaker who lost six years of her life to agoraphobia, shares how the women can get over their disorder. Then, Marilyn has been afraid of catching germs since she was in the 6th grade, and even gives her friends latex gloves to wear! What’s behind her fears? And, Jodi wrote to Dr. Phil because she doesn’t trust her husband, Scott’s, ability to fly his homemade helicopter. Scott says his wife needs to be more trusting. What does Dr. Phil think? Plus, a mom who says she never puts herself first wants Robin’s help. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More October 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 14, 2006, 9:23 pm CDT

10/03 Ask Dr. Phil and Robin

Quote From: mightyking

Hey everyone, I just thought of something. If there is a women of faith, how about someone start a men of faith. There are some men, like myself, who would love to have an organization where men from all over the country can get together and share God's wonderful grace and mercy. Let me know what you all think.   God bless.
There is an organization called " Promise Keepers" and it's for men to get together and worship and share God's word. My brother in law attended and he said it was AWESOME!!!!

October 15, 2006, 10:32 am CDT

Promis keepers is awesome for sure

Quote From: misti72

There is an organization called " Promise Keepers" and it's for men to get together and worship and share God's word. My brother in law attended and he said it was AWESOME!!!!
My husabnd has been tot hat and he came back hyped up, I got him all kinds of Promise keeper stuff for Christmas one year and still wears that ring I got him asa reminder of his love and faith for God as well as for me, his wife (his words, not mine) I would recoomend that to any man who is seeking the will of God for their lives and who wants to be a great Christian Husband.

October 17, 2006, 3:16 pm CDT

Quote From: cerwin1963

I think we have to look at the way we were raised.  Did we see our mom trying to cover it all? Did we see our dad pitching in to to help make it work?

In our family, I go to work to take care of special needs kids, come home to our home office to do my husband's paperwork for his business (he's out in the field), pick kids up from school and then start dinner.  At 43, my husband and I will be married for 22 years before the end of this month.  As I was growing up, I saw my mom make some of the same sacrifices for her family.  How do you get out of the place your at?  Who gets shorted on time?  It seems so easy sometimes for someone to look in from the outisde and try and tell you how you should do it.  I just don't see a way to make it any easier for me. 

For me, it's important to be a mom and take care of my family.  Sometimes, my own needs do have to sit on the back burner.  I don't try and make that happen, it just does.  I think it's a season in your life.  I know this season will end and my kids will be grown and gone.  I have one in college, a senior in high school and one in junior high.  This time is going by so quickly and then I will wish that they were still here.  I look forward to the future, but know that I have to do the very best I can while they are here.   I am glad I took the time, even if I was tired and didn't meet all of my needs, to help form my children's ideas about their faith, their life and their own responsibilities in the families they will have in the future.

You have no idea how many children I see at school each day who do not have a mom, or dad, that puts them as a priortiy in their life.  They have low self esteem, and are trying to figure out too many things on their own.  I think we all need to find a balance.  I don't think it can be one way or the other.  Our society with the media the way it is, makes us all think that we should be number one. 

Is it bad for us to want to take care of our families, at the expense of missing out on time for ourselves? 

" I think it's a season in your life."

Exactly, this is part of the choice to become a mother IMO. It's a lot of sacrifice and it's not for everyone.

October 18, 2006, 1:26 pm CDT

Putting one's self first

Putting others first isn't a bad thing.  Misty, the mom who was accused of not taking care of herself, doesn't want to buy new clothes, go to the beauty shop, etc...  I think Misty was made to feel like something was wrong with her.  I don't buy new clothes.  I don't spend money on coloring my hair or painting my nails.  Who can say that the chemicals are really safe to be using on one's body?  I don't want to spend a lot of time "pampering" myself.  When you add up all the time and money one's spend "primping", one would be shocked at the amount that is involved.  I would prefer to invest the time and money in my daughter.  The degree of satisfaction I get far outweighs how I look for a short period of time.  Misty does spend time with putting on makeup on a regular basis, and her husband doesn't complain about how she looks.  I agree that a person should see a doctor on a regular basis.  I do think that one should try to improved oneself physically (exercising on a regular basis and eating healthier), mentally and emotionally.   Changing the color of one's hair and nails is very superficial to me and should not be a priority in one's life.  In addition, I don't consider wearing uncomfortable clothes and tortuous shoes with heels as pampering myself.  Last of all, I didn't see anything wrong with how Misty looked. 

October 18, 2006, 7:53 pm CDT

Loved the show

I really enjoyed Robin being up there with Dr.Phil, and having her take on thing's as well. I enjoy both of you a lot, and enjoy watching Dr.Phil evry day! It was so funny hearing about the stories that Robin told,a nd I am so glad that we have such a strong person to look to. TK

October 18, 2006, 8:06 pm CDT

Quote From: richlag

Putting others first isn't a bad thing.  Misty, the mom who was accused of not taking care of herself, doesn't want to buy new clothes, go to the beauty shop, etc...  I think Misty was made to feel like something was wrong with her.  I don't buy new clothes.  I don't spend money on coloring my hair or painting my nails.  Who can say that the chemicals are really safe to be using on one's body?  I don't want to spend a lot of time "pampering" myself.  When you add up all the time and money one's spend "primping", one would be shocked at the amount that is involved.  I would prefer to invest the time and money in my daughter.  The degree of satisfaction I get far outweighs how I look for a short period of time.  Misty does spend time with putting on makeup on a regular basis, and her husband doesn't complain about how she looks.  I agree that a person should see a doctor on a regular basis.  I do think that one should try to improved oneself physically (exercising on a regular basis and eating healthier), mentally and emotionally.   Changing the color of one's hair and nails is very superficial to me and should not be a priority in one's life.  In addition, I don't consider wearing uncomfortable clothes and tortuous shoes with heels as pampering myself.  Last of all, I didn't see anything wrong with how Misty looked. 

i think there has to be a balance. We need to take care of ourselves but yet, sometimes we need to drop what we are doing or whatever and do something for some one else and vice versa.  I think pampering oursleves can be good once ina while and it doesn't have to cost money. I personally love a nice hot bubble bath or going shopping all by myself.

October 19, 2006, 9:25 am CDT

Quote From: jettav

i think there has to be a balance. We need to take care of ourselves but yet, sometimes we need to drop what we are doing or whatever and do something for some one else and vice versa.  I think pampering oursleves can be good once ina while and it doesn't have to cost money. I personally love a nice hot bubble bath or going shopping all by myself.

Being a mother often means putting your child's needs over yourself. - I remember many years ago when asking my sister what she wanted for Christmas - and she answered, "new boots for my son!"I didn't understand what she meant until years later when I had my first child.

October 19, 2006, 9:53 am CDT

Quote From: helina

Being a mother often means putting your child's needs over yourself. - I remember many years ago when asking my sister what she wanted for Christmas - and she answered, "new boots for my son!"I didn't understand what she meant until years later when I had my first child.

I agree with you and at the same time if our needs as parents /individuals are not met then we may not be the best that we can be for our kids. We parents are just as imporant as the kids and spouse, again it all comes down to balance and even needs.

October 19, 2006, 11:56 am CDT

Quote From: jettav

I agree with you and at the same time if our needs as parents /individuals are not met then we may not be the best that we can be for our kids. We parents are just as imporant as the kids and spouse, again it all comes down to balance and even needs.
Well and especially the first year or two of having a baby I know can feel very stressful. The last 6 months I have been able to spend more time on myself...but those first two years were demanding as you all know.

That's just part of being a mom.

October 21, 2006, 7:37 am CDT

Happy Birthday Jordan

I just want to send Happy Birthday greeting to Jordan. And I hope college is going alright for him.

turkeybaby

First | Prev | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | Next | Last