Message Boards

Topic : 12/22 Custody Battles Gone Bad

Number of Replies: 373
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 29, 2006, 09:47:40 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 10/04/06) Jan went on the run with her grandson the day her son-in-law, Chris, was released from jail. Jan believes Chris killed her daughter, and says she now fears for her own life and the life of her 4-year-old grandson. After serving time for involuntary manslaughter in the death of his wife, Chris says he will stop at nothing to regain custody of his son. Jan comes face-to-face with the man she has been in hiding from for a year. Then, see a custody battle that kept a mother fighting for her daughter for nearly a decade. Now reunited, Irene struggles to parent her daughter, Brittany, who was torn from her as a 7-year-old and returned as a teenager. Can these two bridge the gap and learn to be a family again? Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More December 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 4, 2006, 1:10 pm CDT

Getting custody of the boy?

I don't think he should get custody either.  My son and his wife are going through a ugly divorce and if she were to hurt him and then expect to have my grandson....I don't think so.  The court should decide what is in the best interest of the child but there should be some input from the grandmother as to how the child is doing.  I did not get the impression that the child was coming first.  Since he called Jan evil, it strikes me that it is a control issue.

October 4, 2006, 1:28 pm CDT

Ridiculous!!

Just two nights ago, I witnessed my little brother (29) assault his girlfriend.  The were in an arguement and he held her against her will.  When she tried to get passed him, he grabbed her by the hair and twisted her head around.  Believe it or not, he is a public defender!!!  I can't imagine what would have happened if I was not there.  These attorneys, like the one on the show today are no more than opportunists.  And, the convicted felon sitting on the stage hiding behind his attorney should never get custody!  These people think they are beyond accountability.  When I confronted my brother about the assault one day later, he denied it.  Then he changed his story and blamed his girlfriend for the incident.  My brother is 6' 3" and weighs 240lbs.  His girlfriend is 5' 2" and weighs 130lbs.  This guy lost his legal rights when he committed a feloneous act that took the life of this young mother.  Period!!  Other than to protect yourself from mortal injury, there is NEVER an excuse for a man putting his hands on a woman in anger!  It is the second most cowardly act a man can perpetrate behind abusing a child.  Woman are not as strong and men have a duty to society to protect them.  I think this guy got off way too easy.  He is narcissistic, at best!

October 4, 2006, 1:32 pm CDT

Custody, and Father's past.

Quote From: stamping

I don't think he should get custody either.  My son and his wife are going through a ugly divorce and if she were to hurt him and then expect to have my grandson....I don't think so.  The court should decide what is in the best interest of the child but there should be some input from the grandmother as to how the child is doing.  I did not get the impression that the child was coming first.  Since he called Jan evil, it strikes me that it is a control issue.
I don't know what to think about this case, since Dr Phil was somewhat ambiguous about the case against Chris. I would like to know more about this case, and why any court would say it was involuntary manslaughter, unless there was a plea bargained. My understanding of the legal definition of murder includes someone intentionally doing bodily harm, even if they did not mean to kill someone, but did. Manslaughter is supposedly an accidental death, which I don't think can be applied in a case where someone is hit in the head and killed, unless they had no recollection of the event. This whole thing smells of something rotten.  It is also a given that a child may be harmed by a person who abuses their spouse. It should always be a concern.

October 4, 2006, 1:36 pm CDT

Custody Battle

Quote From: qwilty

I do not think that Chris should EVER see his son at all again. What would he do when his son  asks, "Daddy where's Mommy?" Is he gonna lie or would he say, "Oh, I killed her. It's ok son." He should be stripped of his parental rights and never get to see his son again. I think it is rediculous that a lawer even took his side of the issue. I hope the judge can see that Chris is an unfit father (I understand he was drunk and his wife was dead, while the son was in bed) and keep the kid with his grandma.

As a parent, I think it would be wrong for the child to loose both parents.  Anything that happened that night only God and the parents know. 

As for the attorney taking his case, she could of been court appointed and not necessarily chosen by him to represent him. 

This could be a joint custody and could work if dad and Grandma are really looking after the childs best interest.

Also, why did she take the other grandchild? 

October 4, 2006, 1:39 pm CDT

Enough is enough!

You know I have said again and again.  There are three components to the truth. He, She, and the truth.  Well. she is not here to defend her side of the story.  He does not desrve to have that Child.!  He has taken his mother away and now he wants to take his life away.  Enough of this madness in this world.  People are doing things and getting away with down right cold-blooded murder and expect Society to look at as they have just broken a glass window and it can be replace.  This not the case, the case is this man taken a life of a woman that he married.  Now he wants everybody to be at his side.  WHY?  He need to move on with the life that he have and leave this child and grandmother alone.  10 months was not enough time served for taking someone life, he should have gotten life without parole.  No parental rights at all.  What is wrong with our society and justice system.  Until we stand up and say that enoug is enough people like him and others are going to continue do these things and get away. Let begin to speak up society.

October 4, 2006, 1:45 pm CDT

no way he should get him!!!

he killed the child's mother and thats all the time he got...omg!!!! she needs to run with the little boy!!! any judge who gives that loser custody of that child is crazy!!!! i can't believe he didnt even know how old his child was. if anyone ever tried to hurt my child i would lose my mind!!!! i  feel like if he gets custody of the child his safety is in danger!!! look at what he did  in the past ....so it is a predictor of what he will do in the future!! i think he just wants the child to piss the grandmother off!! the child only knows his grandmother and to take that away from him is not right !!! he has already lost his mom . i dont believe there is anyway that could have been accident!!!

October 4, 2006, 1:47 pm CDT

i can relate

Where grandma made a mistake was when she didn't take him to court while he was in prison to have his parental rights terminated. It's hard to believe that she was not advised to do so. My daughter's husband ---after their divorce--- broke into her home and attempted to murder her and violently raped her. He went to prison---a plea bargain--for 7 yrs. At the time of the divorce we were already raising one of their children and after the rape our daughter gave us the other child. Our daughter totally deserted these children. We had both of their parental rights terminated and legally adopted the children. Our daughter signed away her parental rights but we had to take him to court to have his rights terminated. We took him to court while he was in prison. Didn't she seek legal advice before he got out of prison? It's hard to believe that any judge would give him any visitation or custody. This child will have enough problems when he learns the truth when he gets older without this man still in his life.

October 4, 2006, 1:52 pm CDT

same boat

Quote From: bingobag34

My ex-husband has just taken custody of my 2 little girls.  They are 4 and 7.  He was completely emotionally abusive to me and my teenager; so, I finally had to leave on March 4, 2004.  The fighting has never stopped.  I took nothing when I left and I agreed to shared custody when I left just because I didn't want to fight anymore.  But, the harassment and arguing continued until I broke.  I tried to commit suicide on April 28th of this year.  Since then, he has fought for full custody of the kids and WON.  We had a home study done and it was so full of lies!!!  It said that my children were on a "sugar diet" when they were with me and that I was the one harassing Jamie and that I call my children names constantly and of course, Jamie does have a better home, so, that was used against me too.

So, as of just last week, I have lost custody of my little girls.  They are completely devestated by it all.  And, of course, so am I.  I just don't understand how this has all happened, but, I don't have the money to fight him any longer.

The legal system has screwed me over so bad and I feel hopeless and I don't know what to do or how to even have the strength to hold my head up any longer.  I feel so defeated and I don't have the money to fight him and nobody to help me.

I to have lost my son 6 year old son to my ex. My ex was verbally and physically abusive to me and to my other son. The court system has not even heard what I had to say. I have taken this to court to revise our parenting plan but he comes out looking like a pure angle, when deep down inside he knows what he is doing is wrong.  I live 650 miles away from my son that is the only way I could go on with my life but  the courts decided since our son had "established relationships" with both sets of grandparents it would be best to give the father residential custody.  I tried to kill myself before I moved because the fighting and the constant abuse just got to much, the protective order didn't do any good. But the court still gave him residential custody. I do not have the money to fight him. And I feel like eventually I will lose my son completely. He does not allow me to talk to our son and when I do talk to him, my ex is telling him what to say and what not to say.  We have joint custody but I have no rights at all. But I still make sure I pay that child support every month.

I wish

October 4, 2006, 1:53 pm CDT

Jan

I really feel for Jan and pray that Chris does NOT get custody.

October 4, 2006, 1:57 pm CDT

i never knew a E M T was qualified to say nothing was wrong with any one

i do however know they can render aid to a person and transport them to a hospita;l, dont know what to think about the childs mothers death but if the dead womans mother had reason to fear this man then she should in no way ever trust him, i know i wouldnt, and i for one can tell you a lawyer dosent give a damn if you are wright or wrong, all they care about is getting your money.!!! a proven fact.!!!!! so that cracker jack lawyer cant tell me she has that childs best intrest at heart. and if you think im wrong stop paying her or any lawyer and see if they are willing to help you out of the goodness of thear hearts, i dont think so, and all i can say if you can crush someones skull with a phone and only do 10 months in prison hell take his ass out with a freakin phone the very same laws must apply for you as well, 10 months vs a childs life? take the 10 months, i would

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last