Message Boards

Topic : 10/05 Attack in the Night

Number of Replies: 53
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 29, 2006, 09:48:42 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
On a quiet night in mid-May in beautiful Orange County, California, Greg and Estela Becker were viciously attacked by a man with a hatchet as they slept in their bed. Despite sustaining head and neck wounds from their attacker, they were able to push him out of the room, and Greg ran for help. Their attacker escaped, and police are still working to locate him. In the meantime, an entire community struggles to find peace in what once was a safe neighborhood. Greg and Estela's twin 9-year-old daughters saw their parents covered in blood, adding to the trauma of this event. Their next-door neighbors, Anne-Marie and Billy Linas, were shocked by what they saw when Greg ran to their house for help. Dr. Phil meets with this community to discuss how they can move forward and feel secure again. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More October 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 5, 2006, 4:07 pm CDT

I was lucky, but I am still afraid

On Sept 19 of this year, my next door neighbor forced his way into my home, he was wearing only a pair of boxers and had an erection.  My house was dark at the time, the only light coming from the TV in my bedroom.  I believe that he had looked in my bedroom window and thought that I was asleep.  Thankfully I got up to double check my doors before going to sleep.  He was already inside my sliding glass doors as I stepped out of my bedroom.  Had another 30 seconds gone by before I had gotten up it would have been to late, He would have been in my bedroom.  Screaming and yelling at him to get out of my house had no affect on him, he just continued to advance toward me.  I was lucky to be able to reach a phone and yelled at him that I was calling the police.  He spoke and told me he was my neighbor and please don't call the cops.  When my 911 call connected, he finally left the way he had com in.  He had been able to get within 4 to 5 ft of me.  He was arrested but was able to bail out within a few hours.  He is facing charges of attempted burglery, public intoxication and lewdness.  I was able to get a court ordered staliking injunction against him which he is fighting.  In my state I am unable to get a restraining order because I have not lived with him.  I have only had 3 or 4 very short conversations with him, they were all from a distace of 6 ft or more.  The community where I live is mostly retirement homes that are 2nd (winter ) homes.  Houses  are very close.  My bedroom windows sit 2 ft from the property line.  No matter where I am in my home and no matter where my neighbor is in his, he is always within 50 ft of me.  I am only able to sleep 2 or 3 hrs at a time.  Everytime he sets foot outside I panic, when he comes out for a smoke in the night, every muscle in my body tenses.  It is even worse when it is the smell of the smoke that awoke me and not the sound of his door opening.  Because, if he can get out of his home without me hearing, then he could be outside my window, on my patio, or be inside my home again all without me hearing him.  It is very hard for me to accomplish anything.  I find myself sitting and staring into space, or shaking for no reason in the middle of the day.  I can only venture ouside if I see other neighbors outside.  My laundry room is in a detached shed out back and I can't go there.  People keep telling me that I should just get over it, that this guy wouldn't have really raped or hurt me.  But he is always right there, right next to me 50 ft away.

October 5, 2006, 4:13 pm CDT

10/05 Attack in the Night

While watching your show today--I suffered many flashbacks plus I could relate to her strong fraw human emotions.  I was attacked every day, physically, emotionaly, & sexually, for 13 years within the walls of my home, by my mother.  I could taste her fear, I could smell her fear, I could feel her pain within.  Thank you for helping both families--I just wish someone like you had been around when I needed someone.   Many years later--I was able to find someone that believed in me--I also made the trip back thru the house--I was terrified--I couldn't move--I couldn't cry--scream--get angry--I was numb--shut up behind a wall within me.--I sufferred thru all those feelings again today --it doesn't ever go away--like them--I carry the emotional scars/

October 5, 2006, 4:46 pm CDT

Doctor Phil Show.

At Doctor In Night Phil Tack The. Dr Phil these people sure have either ADT or any kind of security in their home. Or a :Neighborhood Watch in their home town. See you tomorrow-

Afternoon. Sincerley Your. Russell

October 5, 2006, 4:58 pm CDT

A Little too Steven King Doc!!

Everybody's your biggest fan doc, but I really am your biggest fan :) Today's show was a very dramatic and horrible story and your efforts to help the victims and their neighbors was, as always, spot on. I did notice however and kind of got a kick out of the background music you were playing and the sound effects you used. It seemed to me to be a little over the top Doc. Halloween coming up and a true horror story was enough. The background effects were a bit over the top. I felt like I was in a horror movie and your sound technicians were manipulating me like a B-Horror-Movie sound techie does. I Love You (think Robin's the hottest thing on earth:)) and think both of you are a gift to us all.

October 5, 2006, 5:21 pm CDT

Please follow up

Dr. Phil,

Please follow up on the family in today's show.  Don't leave us wondering how this family is doing.  What the intruder ever caught?  What did your detective find out after his investigation?  Why did the police say the intruder left no evidence behind yet your detective said there was blood and a possible print.  There had to be blood and prints all over that house.  A fight occurred.  I can't believe there was no evidence. 

October 5, 2006, 5:45 pm CDT

THAT IS CRAZY

Think about this for a moment ok people. They pushed the person that was huting them out into hall and closed the door. Leaving there kids volunerable to the mad man. Me as a mother would have never ever done that. They were very, very lucky nothing happend.

October 5, 2006, 5:48 pm CDT

I'd move

If it were me, I'd sell the house and move.   No sense in still living there.

October 5, 2006, 5:49 pm CDT

Sorry

Quote From: zandi2

While watching your show today--I suffered many flashbacks plus I could relate to her strong fraw human emotions.  I was attacked every day, physically, emotionaly, & sexually, for 13 years within the walls of my home, by my mother.  I could taste her fear, I could smell her fear, I could feel her pain within.  Thank you for helping both families--I just wish someone like you had been around when I needed someone.   Many years later--I was able to find someone that believed in me--I also made the trip back thru the house--I was terrified--I couldn't move--I couldn't cry--scream--get angry--I was numb--shut up behind a wall within me.--I sufferred thru all those feelings again today --it doesn't ever go away--like them--I carry the emotional scars/
I am so sorry ,I know that those words seem some what empty but I also went through alot of pain in my life and God is my support.

October 5, 2006, 6:45 pm CDT

10/05 Attack in the Night

Thank you, quietstorm, I thought I was the only one who thought something just didn't seem right about this. It kind of kept nagging at me all afternoon, and I guess I was feeling guilty about feeling the way I did, and so I thought maybe I just didn't fully understand the information presented on the show today, and that is why I am checking the site now. I am usually both a very positive person and more than a little naive and accepting of what I am told, but I just got huge red flags going off in my head when I watched this show. Something just wasn't adding up. I know I am going to burn in you-know-where for even thinking this, and I know I'll be chewed on from writers on this board as well, but I feel a strong need to post this for some reason, and I never post.

(Deep breath ...) I don't believe the wife. I think she knew who the attacker was, and I think it had to do with her. I think the husband  was the primary target, but I do not think he knew the person. I think the attacker knew of the husband. I think the attacker had been in the house before because the wife had let that person in their house before. I just get a gut feeling about it, and I feel awful for even bringing it up, but whenever I saw her, a little voice just kept on saying, "She's lying." I don't know if it was something in her eyes, or how she described the events but it didn't seem as if she was telling the truth. Her positioning in the house confused me (why was she where she was after the attack? How did she know the attacker was gone? Why didn't she grab her girls and get out of the house? But of course, when a situation like that happens, it is easy to say what should have been done. If an attacker came after me, I probably would act erratically also).

I know I'll get slammed for this. I don't know all the facts. If the woman is innocent, then I feel even worse for smearing her like this and adding to her grief and all this family has gone through, but sometimes that little voice is there for a reason. Dr. Phil has probably had his staff research this fifteen ways to Sunday, and I only saw a snippet, so who am I to say? I was relieved, however, that quietstorm paused a bit also. I hate doubting people like this, it makes me feel like such an ugly person inside. So go ahead and write your opinions of me, it is probably something I have already said about myself in my own head for even thinking this.

October 5, 2006, 7:36 pm CDT

ok....

Quote From: pg__smiley

The only thing you can do in a case like this is ask for an Internal Investigation....they aren' t all corrupt , in fact most are great protectors of us all..there are exceptions in any field...

I personally would go to a different Police detatchment to lodge my complaint ...AFTER having the RAPE KIT done and photo's taken....Karen

Let's start with Congress.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last