Message Boards

Topic : 10/06 IQ Answer

Number of Replies: 118
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 29, 2006, 09:49:49 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Have you ever felt like you’re running in place and going nowhere? What if you could learn some critical keys to increase your intelligence? Dr. Phil, along with Dr. Frank Lawlis, chairman of the Dr. Phil Advisory Board and author of The IQ Answer, gives you practical techniques to maximize your full potential. His first guest, Elizabeth, says she’s tried everything to wake up her daughter, Miranda, in the morning -- massaging her feet, splashing water on her face, even blasting rap music! Miranda says she can sleep up to 17 hours straight, and has lost five jobs because of her tardiness. Find out what happens when she gets a wake-up call -- Dr. Phil style! Then, Faith says her 17-year-old daughter, Myia, panics before taking tests. She gets headaches, stomachaches, and often comes home crying. Can Dr. Lawlis help the teen get over her fears? Plus, find out why Dr. Phil needs Dr. Lawlis’ IQ Answer, and learn important information every parent needs to know about retraining your child’s brain. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More October 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 6, 2006, 1:43 pm CDT

I am so glad I was home sick to see today's show!

I think that my son, who is in college, can benefit greatly from Dr. Lawlis' book but I do believe that I can as well.  I am 45 and I just seem to forget words just like Dr. Phil does.  So does my husband.  I also want to get the relaxation CD.  I am a chronic insomniac and one of my problems is my brain won't shut off not matter how tired I am.  I am the opposite of Miranda.  I do yoga, I meditate and I play soft music when I go to bed but I still rarely sleep for more than 2 - 3 hours a night. I'm hoping that the cd and the book show me the way to change this terrible pattern that I have lived with since I was a small child.

October 6, 2006, 1:45 pm CDT

need understanding, not motivation.

I completely agree with you, grgrl.  I've been struggling with Idiopathic Hypersomnia for many years now after a car accident (I'm 27), and I, too, could totally identify with Miranda.  I've been called 'lazy' by so many people I've lost count.  Yeah, I get that it's hard for those that don't live with it to understand (it's hard for those whom DO to understand!!), but it drives me crazy when I see shows like this.  We have a difficult time enough as is without having Dr. Phil tell millions of people that it's our own fault, we're not 'motivated' enough.

October 6, 2006, 1:50 pm CDT

Help with Brain Function

Hi, I started taking a supplement that has helped me with concentration and chronic pain in my neck and back.  It has also helped my husband concentrate at work.  My children have just started taking it and I can already tell it's working with my 1st grader.  It's all natural and it comes from a shark.  It's Omega-3 with DHA and EFA.

October 6, 2006, 1:59 pm CDT

Poor handling of a potentially serious problem

Listening to the first guest I heard echos of  my own life.  I am a diagnosed Narcoleptic and I know what it is like to "sleep my life away".  I was wondering if all possible underlying physical conditions had been ruled out .  Narcoleptics are often misdiagnosed as depressed or lazy.  Just a thought, excessive daytime sleepiness is a central symtom of this dibilitating and real disorder.

October 6, 2006, 1:59 pm CDT

Sleeping for

Dr. Phil:

I am surprised during your interview with Miranda, who sleeps for long periods of time, that you did not suggest she may have a medical problem.  Perhaps you already questioned her about other problems she may be experiencing such as "achiness".  People with fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome, etc. experience these sleep disturbances every day.  Researchers have now determined this is related to abnormal amounts of certain hormones and neurotransmitters. 

It is not always a matter of "not wanting" to get up.  It is a biochemical imbalance and cannot be "willed" away.  Please DO NOT make light of one's inability to get up and/or lack of alertness and functioning.  Fibromyalgia does affect children and teens as well as adults.  Please acknowledge fibromyalgia as a potential factor in one's sleep problems and support the 5-10 million people with fibromyalgia.

You also mention your own short-term memory and word-finding problems.  Guess what?  Most of us with fibromyalgia have the same problems but it is usually more devastating.  It can even interfere with one's ability to hold a job!  The program was very interesting and had some good information IF there is no medical condition at the root of the "brain" problems described.

M F Fowler

October 6, 2006, 2:02 pm CDT

Great show jadebear/zapatosred

This was really interesting and thanks for the breakfast tips. Also, this is exactly what a longtime music teacher told me about (the brain and movement. One time I was taking a flying lesson and we had to turn back because of an electrical smell. The instructor took 3 deep breaths I noticed and it was better than holding his breath while we landed. My son is too easy going to worry about tests too much and he does well but his energy lags at home for homework. He loves listening to his music and loves factions the computer game which I'm not sure if this helps or hinders. I agree music is great for kids. I  get in low moods sometimes but I always play bouncy music on the radio. Oh, the gum thing makes me happy!!!! Music does give you higher energy. And the nursing home a relative is in they have lots of music, almost every day. It energizes the people. But when they lose a bit of their memory, they forget things like prejudices , and forget that you were Catholic and never converted even though you married their son and he was Lutheran! Guess I said too much there!!!  My in - law used to almost need resusitation when the Pope came to the United States.:>) Now he is friends with a Jewish lady in the home. He used to be rather predjudiced against blacks, but loves the people who work at the home no matter what color. He has forgotten his predjudice. He likes all the ladies!  It is interesting for sure. I am wondering what effect memory loss has on those who had alcohol or drug addiction.

It is true opposites attract so I can see where Dr. Phil likes music on and Robin likes it Quiet. If you are too much alike it wouldn't be so interesting for 30 years. You have to accomodate both interests. I flunked the submit to your husband part a long time ago. ANd I think he wouldn't have it otherwise. Oops, gotta, go,..........I forgot my son has a soccer game in 10minutes!!!

October 6, 2006, 2:04 pm CDT

OCPD

My daughter was a great student in high school although she was very focused on school.  She was somewhat of a perfectionist about school.  She hated to miss a day for fear she'd get behind.  She was involved in lots of activities.  And then.....she went to college...a major university.  Well, the problems started and eventually she was diagnosed with Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder.  She had some cognitive therapy and was put on a medication to help with her anxiety.  (Mostly manifested at test taking time.)  She made a lot of improvement and graduated with a degree in Engineering.  Now she is out there in the field and she did fine for a while, but she is on a new project and is faced with a very difficult situation and is an anxious mess.  She is in a foreign country, dealing with foreign superiors, time concepts escape these people, they really don't want an American there, their engineers have screwed up several parts of the project that she has had to fix (although they resent it)  and she is an ANXIOUS mess.  I was interested in today's show, but the IQ answer is not what we need....we need something to help with the anxiety now that she's an adult.  She is taking the meds again, but I don't think that's the answer.  She needs a way to cope without them.  Anyone have any suggestions?  No time for therapy...she travels too much and will be on offshore rotations soon.  It needs to be self-directed.  Advice? Suggestions?  Books? CDs? Anything.

October 6, 2006, 2:10 pm CDT

Miranda's exteme sleepiness

I was surprised that the only discussed cause of her sleepiness was brain wave responses.  I have numerous members of my family that went through the sleep problems until they received help from a knowledgeable allergist.  One allergist focused on asthma-like symptoms and was completely useless, but we finally found an allergist that realized that allergies can cause extreme sleepiness and even dizziness  (without the usual sneezing, runny nose, watery eyes or breathing symptoms).  With proper desensitization shots, diet and environmental controls, the sleepiness is also under control.

October 6, 2006, 2:14 pm CDT

hmmm

Quote From: tab0519

Is it me, or are we creating a next generation of pampered pansies?  Has anybody ever thought of shutting down all these mind warping video games, Ipods, Blackberrys, screen names, online chat rooms, TV sets, DVD players, etc. and turning the light off -  at say, 9PM and saying "night night kiddo"? 

This show hasn't aired yet for me to watch, so I am going strictly by the tag line on the show page.  But I can tell you this - I have - more than once - told my son (who thankfully is in the last year of high school) - you miss the school bus?  You walk the 5 miles to school.  You don't do your homework?  Fine.  I have my education and my career - you want to work in retail the rest of your life that is your decision.   I just know - and my son knows too - it would be a cold day in h*** I would massage his feet to get him up for school in the morning.  I wake him once.  He gets up.  He knows, from experience, he misses school he not only has to deal with the school, he has to deal with me - and he knows his odds are better if he skydives from a space shuttle. 

I see tough parenting works sometimes.  I wonder if Miranda was completely honest on the show.  She said that she excersizes but when?  My 16 year old is extremely lazy, and mostly because I enable her to be.  Very oftentimes I have picked up my 100 pound daughter out of bed or dragged her onto the floor to get her up.  Miranda should consider her eating habits too and just go to the family doctor and see what he says

October 6, 2006, 2:31 pm CDT

Miranda (IQ)

I am not a Doctor - but seems that Miranda has a issue with her speech  "Slurred" - Almost as if she had a stroke.....or on something (I hope not)..So she may have a legit reason for sleeping  so long.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last