Message Boards

Topic : 10/06 IQ Answer

Number of Replies: 118
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 29, 2006, 09:49:49 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Have you ever felt like you’re running in place and going nowhere? What if you could learn some critical keys to increase your intelligence? Dr. Phil, along with Dr. Frank Lawlis, chairman of the Dr. Phil Advisory Board and author of The IQ Answer, gives you practical techniques to maximize your full potential. His first guest, Elizabeth, says she’s tried everything to wake up her daughter, Miranda, in the morning -- massaging her feet, splashing water on her face, even blasting rap music! Miranda says she can sleep up to 17 hours straight, and has lost five jobs because of her tardiness. Find out what happens when she gets a wake-up call -- Dr. Phil style! Then, Faith says her 17-year-old daughter, Myia, panics before taking tests. She gets headaches, stomachaches, and often comes home crying. Can Dr. Lawlis help the teen get over her fears? Plus, find out why Dr. Phil needs Dr. Lawlis’ IQ Answer, and learn important information every parent needs to know about retraining your child’s brain. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More October 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 6, 2006, 2:33 pm CDT

Omega - 3 with DHA & EFA

Quote From: suneyedgrl

Listening to the first guest I heard echos of  my own life.  I am a diagnosed Narcoleptic and I know what it is like to "sleep my life away".  I was wondering if all possible underlying physical conditions had been ruled out .  Narcoleptics are often misdiagnosed as depressed or lazy.  Just a thought, excessive daytime sleepiness is a central symtom of this dibilitating and real disorder.

Hi,

Just wondering how many of these do you take a day ? What miiligram or strengh ?

Thanks so much !

October 6, 2006, 2:36 pm CDT

Too much sleep

I can sympathize with Marinda.  I'm in my 40s and have struggled with sleeping too much just about my whole life.  I literally have to force myself to get up and must tell myself that I must wake up at a certain time or to answer the phone before I go to sleep or I will sleep through alarms, dogs barking, phone ringing, TV blaring etc.  I retired from the military in 2001 after 21 years of service and every day was a struggle, but I was never late for work and never missed a meeting.  It was a long hard battle but I made it.  I now sleep an average of 11 hours at night along with a long nap in the afternoon.  It's an overwhelming feel that I try to fight but some times it's easier to take the 1 or 2 hour nap.  I finished a BS in Human Resources and Management  in Jun 05 with a 4.0 average and am afraid to look for a job.  So, I am looking forward to buying Dr. Lawlis book and getting rid of this overwhelming desire to sleep.  I'm so happy I watched your show today.  Thanks me

October 6, 2006, 2:40 pm CDT

fibromyalgia related sleepiness

Quote From: mffowler

Dr. Phil:

I am surprised during your interview with Miranda, who sleeps for long periods of time, that you did not suggest she may have a medical problem.  Perhaps you already questioned her about other problems she may be experiencing such as "achiness".  People with fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome, etc. experience these sleep disturbances every day.  Researchers have now determined this is related to abnormal amounts of certain hormones and neurotransmitters. 

It is not always a matter of "not wanting" to get up.  It is a biochemical imbalance and cannot be "willed" away.  Please DO NOT make light of one's inability to get up and/or lack of alertness and functioning.  Fibromyalgia does affect children and teens as well as adults.  Please acknowledge fibromyalgia as a potential factor in one's sleep problems and support the 5-10 million people with fibromyalgia.

You also mention your own short-term memory and word-finding problems.  Guess what?  Most of us with fibromyalgia have the same problems but it is usually more devastating.  It can even interfere with one's ability to hold a job!  The program was very interesting and had some good information IF there is no medical condition at the root of the "brain" problems described.

M F Fowler

M F,

I suffer with fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue as well.  I require roughly 12 hours of sleep a day and it really affects my life in a negative way. ( What life?!!)  I watch my diet, supplement my diet, and do yoga.  At times I just want to give up because even when I'm awake I live a very low energy life.  I know ther has to be help out there, but I am too tired to seek it.  I live alone and feel as if the world is spinning around me and I am standing still helpless and dazed.  I could really benefit from any guidance you may have.

T L

October 6, 2006, 2:43 pm CDT

Brain Drum Beats

Hey Dr. Phil,

When i saw your show today about how certain beats stimulate your brain, I remembered a video that I saw recently with one of the most awesome sounds for a 'beat' that makes me get up and dance every time i hear it.  Thanks for the brain tip today,,,i will be listening to this video alot now,,,just for the fun of it and the stimulation!!! 

October 6, 2006, 2:53 pm CDT

I Q Answers

Can the IQ Answer book work for adults?  Or is it just for children.  I haven't read the book yet but wanted to know if the methods used in the book would benefit my older (20-23 year old) boys.

October 6, 2006, 2:58 pm CDT

Can't wake up

Words cannot describe how glad I am that I saw this show!! 

When I was listening to Miranda's story I couldn't believe my ears, I have struggled in the same way for over 30 years.  I had resolved I must be the only person who struggles with this.  Sometimes I wonder how I will make it through another day knowing this how it will always start.  I would fall asleep everyday in Kindergarten, so my parents started taking me to doctors to see what was wrong with me.  In about 4th grade the doctors decided I had Neutropenia (I don't).  During summer break from school I would sleep until 1 or 2 in the afternoon, I didn't want to but I couldn't wake up   I did poorly in school from a very young age and if I had had one more year of high school to complete the year I graduated I would not have made it.  I would like to go to doctors about this but I have a fear of doctors and when I have gone they don't seem to understand.  I have felt for several years now that my brain must not be cycling correctly at night. 

If someone from the Dr Phil show reads my story please let me know how to get the brain frequency test done.  I desperately need it.  I will be buying this book, I hope something in it can help me.

October 6, 2006, 3:06 pm CDT

Doctor Phil Show.

Answer Doctor Frank I Lawlis Phil Q. Where did I see this before? Maybe last year. See you next-

week. Sincerley Your. Russell Vlaanderen.-------------------------------------------------------------------------

October 6, 2006, 3:10 pm CDT

Sleeping 17 hours a day

No one on the show mentioned hypothyroidism.  That is why I was sleeping 17 hours a day.  I knew something was wrong, so I had blood tests done, which confirmed the illness.  I am now on synthroid and no longer need to sleep more than 7 hours.  Test the girl for an illness first and examine the brain later.

October 6, 2006, 3:29 pm CDT

Anxiety

Quote From: larrendell

My daughter was a great student in high school although she was very focused on school.  She was somewhat of a perfectionist about school.  She hated to miss a day for fear she'd get behind.  She was involved in lots of activities.  And then.....she went to college...a major university.  Well, the problems started and eventually she was diagnosed with Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder.  She had some cognitive therapy and was put on a medication to help with her anxiety.  (Mostly manifested at test taking time.)  She made a lot of improvement and graduated with a degree in Engineering.  Now she is out there in the field and she did fine for a while, but she is on a new project and is faced with a very difficult situation and is an anxious mess.  She is in a foreign country, dealing with foreign superiors, time concepts escape these people, they really don't want an American there, their engineers have screwed up several parts of the project that she has had to fix (although they resent it)  and she is an ANXIOUS mess.  I was interested in today's show, but the IQ answer is not what we need....we need something to help with the anxiety now that she's an adult.  She is taking the meds again, but I don't think that's the answer.  She needs a way to cope without them.  Anyone have any suggestions?  No time for therapy...she travels too much and will be on offshore rotations soon.  It needs to be self-directed.  Advice? Suggestions?  Books? CDs? Anything.
The answer is medication for anxiety.  Just be glad there is medication.   Years ago I had anxiety 24/7 and no one knew it was a problem and they had no medications that worked.

October 6, 2006, 3:31 pm CDT

too much sleep

I am 42 and all my life up until a year ago, I had to get at least 10-12 hours of sleep. Always sleepy. I also had depression, but lethargy was also with my life.  I finally had my thyroid tested. It was only borderline "normal" most doctors would say, just slightly lower than normal, but a naturopath said he had had success even when it was borderline. I went on Thyroid medication, and now my lifelong depression is GONE and I only now sleep 8 hours a night and actually wake up and am not sleepy or feel coma-like anymore! I feel so blessed and kiss the ground my naturopath walks on!! I tried so many antidepressants and the depression and the sleepiness ruined my life. I hope the girl on the show checks her thyroid too.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | Next | Last