Message Boards

Topic : 10/06 IQ Answer

Number of Replies: 118
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 29, 2006, 09:49:49 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Have you ever felt like you’re running in place and going nowhere? What if you could learn some critical keys to increase your intelligence? Dr. Phil, along with Dr. Frank Lawlis, chairman of the Dr. Phil Advisory Board and author of The IQ Answer, gives you practical techniques to maximize your full potential. His first guest, Elizabeth, says she’s tried everything to wake up her daughter, Miranda, in the morning -- massaging her feet, splashing water on her face, even blasting rap music! Miranda says she can sleep up to 17 hours straight, and has lost five jobs because of her tardiness. Find out what happens when she gets a wake-up call -- Dr. Phil style! Then, Faith says her 17-year-old daughter, Myia, panics before taking tests. She gets headaches, stomachaches, and often comes home crying. Can Dr. Lawlis help the teen get over her fears? Plus, find out why Dr. Phil needs Dr. Lawlis’ IQ Answer, and learn important information every parent needs to know about retraining your child’s brain. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More October 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 6, 2006, 7:00 pm CDT

It was like you had been reading our mail

I couldn't believe it when I played the show I had "tivoed" today.  We have a daughter in college who is struggling so much with her test taking.  She is a very bright girl who has always gotten very good grades and strong in extracurricular activities in high school...student body president, newspaper editor etc.  She is a sophomore in college now.  She has had the worst 1+ year of her life.  Just before leaving for college, she and her high school boyfriend broke up...it was extremely traumatic and when she got 2 Cs and 2 Ds (her first ever!) in her first semester we chalked it up to her depression over the lost relationship and probably experimenting with alcohol and stretching her limits with her first time away from home.  But since that semester our communication has increased and improved (it was always pretty good) and we have learned that she suffers from very severe test anxiety as well as generalized anxiety and depression.  She is in treatment but frankly we don't think we are make a lot of progress at this time.  I sent her to buy Dr. Lawliss' book TODAY and I ordered the relaxation CDs for her.  My regret is that she won't get them for 2 - 3 weeks; she has 4 tests next week!  I called her and played the segment of the show with the girl who experiences test anxiety in hopes that it would help her understand that she is not a freak and that other people (normal, smart people) suffer from this too.  I read a message where one mom was disappointed in the show and accused you of just wanting to sell books...clearly she is lucky enough to have children who have not yet struggled with this.  Hopefully they never will but this is not a condition reserved for weak students...our child was found to have a very very high IQ at a young age, took all AP classes her jr and sr year, and graduated with honors near the top of her class.  I appreciated you addressing this on your show,,,I just wish our daughter could have had the opportunity to be on the show and get the help she needs firsthand and faster...she really needs it.

October 6, 2006, 7:46 pm CDT

Nothing new really

The info on show wasn't all new to me. If you read any books by Howard Gardner and multiple intelligences you can see how people learn differently. The IQ Answer is the same answer as multiple intelligences.

As for older people wanting to keep their minds in top shape. Diet, exercise and nutrients play a role. But research has also shown that doing crossword puzzles on daily basis will help your brain and help memory loss.

Invisible Ink

October 6, 2006, 9:14 pm CDT

Sleep -Aholic

I too use to be a sleep-aholic! My family did my of the same things to wake me up and doctors gave melife the same suggestions. Finally at 25 I had my hormones tested and found out that my hormones were that of a 70 year old woman. Please relay this message to her it could change her life!

October 6, 2006, 9:21 pm CDT

10/06 IQ Answer

Quote From: tiffanyb

Words cannot describe how glad I am that I saw this show!! 

When I was listening to Miranda's story I couldn't believe my ears, I have struggled in the same way for over 30 years.  I had resolved I must be the only person who struggles with this.  Sometimes I wonder how I will make it through another day knowing this how it will always start.  I would fall asleep everyday in Kindergarten, so my parents started taking me to doctors to see what was wrong with me.  In about 4th grade the doctors decided I had Neutropenia (I don't).  During summer break from school I would sleep until 1 or 2 in the afternoon, I didn't want to but I couldn't wake up   I did poorly in school from a very young age and if I had had one more year of high school to complete the year I graduated I would not have made it.  I would like to go to doctors about this but I have a fear of doctors and when I have gone they don't seem to understand.  I have felt for several years now that my brain must not be cycling correctly at night. 

If someone from the Dr Phil show reads my story please let me know how to get the brain frequency test done.  I desperately need it.  I will be buying this book, I hope something in it can help me.

Please have your hormones tested. I had the same problem for many years and the hormones have helped quite a bit. If you find out how to get the brain frequency test done please post it or let me know. Good luck!

October 6, 2006, 10:24 pm CDT

"GIFTED CHILD" not so gifted mom

I am the single parent of a child who's I.Q. at last measured, 138 in third grade,  I do not want to loose her to an average education. when she is capable of so very much more.  Her step father, the light of her life, passed no to long ago and his faith and support meant the word to her .  I need to keep up and to teach her how to strive for greatness.  I am not sure if i know how.  She says she wants to just be normal.  but she isn't,  shes gifted, capable of a's and b's and some timea she forgets work, leaves things home, and just has a devil may care attitude although she knows this hurts me.  she says, (her words)  she is lazy and unorganized and this is what we need help with.  Thank all for your time and God Bless.

October 6, 2006, 10:36 pm CDT

Replying

Quote From: ccgraphd

I taped this show with plans to share it with my children (15 and 12), both doing well in school, but challenged by the increasing difficulty of their rigorous curriculum. I erased it after I watched it. The only things I came away with were to breathe during tests and to enforce better breakfasts. (The kids get enough sleep and get up on their own; and the orthodontist and school frown on gum.)I had an amazing Psychology 101 class in college (beyond that it was the class I met my husband-to-be in) that taught us to figure out how our individual brains learned. Two things changed my way of thinking and turned me from an okay student to a deans list student. One was to learn how I best retained information (to simplify it, visual vs. auditory). The other was to think of my brain as a filing cabinet and to cross-reference the material I wanted to retrieve. Think of a visual cue, a mnemonic cue, etc. My 12 year old daughter was struggling with tests and I sent her room and told her to write a song about the material she needed to learn. She laughed at me, but it was a changing moment for her. As the kids start taking honors and AP classes we are looking for tools for them to put in their toolbox to help them digest the material and demonstrate that knowledge on tests and projects. I was expecting more from this show. Are they just trying to sell books now?

you should have let your children viewed and just to see what they came away with.  Our perseptions are so not theres  and there could have been something for them that clicked and yet nonsense to us.  I have learned to give more of an open mind to the childrens way of accepting advice.

October 7, 2006, 12:10 am CDT

Explore different atmospheres for test taking.

Quote From: lclark0320

I couldn't believe it when I played the show I had "tivoed" today.  We have a daughter in college who is struggling so much with her test taking.  She is a very bright girl who has always gotten very good grades and strong in extracurricular activities in high school...student body president, newspaper editor etc.  She is a sophomore in college now.  She has had the worst 1+ year of her life.  Just before leaving for college, she and her high school boyfriend broke up...it was extremely traumatic and when she got 2 Cs and 2 Ds (her first ever!) in her first semester we chalked it up to her depression over the lost relationship and probably experimenting with alcohol and stretching her limits with her first time away from home.  But since that semester our communication has increased and improved (it was always pretty good) and we have learned that she suffers from very severe test anxiety as well as generalized anxiety and depression.  She is in treatment but frankly we don't think we are make a lot of progress at this time.  I sent her to buy Dr. Lawliss' book TODAY and I ordered the relaxation CDs for her.  My regret is that she won't get them for 2 - 3 weeks; she has 4 tests next week!  I called her and played the segment of the show with the girl who experiences test anxiety in hopes that it would help her understand that she is not a freak and that other people (normal, smart people) suffer from this too.  I read a message where one mom was disappointed in the show and accused you of just wanting to sell books...clearly she is lucky enough to have children who have not yet struggled with this.  Hopefully they never will but this is not a condition reserved for weak students...our child was found to have a very very high IQ at a young age, took all AP classes her jr and sr year, and graduated with honors near the top of her class.  I appreciated you addressing this on your show,,,I just wish our daughter could have had the opportunity to be on the show and get the help she needs firsthand and faster...she really needs it.

My brother had the same problem, and in college he finally learned there are several options for taking tests.  He has a genious IQ, and never officially passed kindergarten.  My parents put him in a school for learning disabled children after the school wanted him to repeat kindergarten a 3rd time!

Your daughter should talk to her instructors.  My brother used a few different approaches, but never took a test with his class or in the classroom environment.  He would go to each instructors office for testing.  He took most tests verbally.  When he took a written test, there was no time limit, and sometimes he would take it verbally before the written.  Some of his tests were modified from the original (this does not mean easier).

Another aspect to my brother's ADHD & Dyslexia, is he cannot take notes and listen at the same time. In each of his classes, the university provided carbon paper and the instructor had the best note taker in that course provide a copy of their notes to my brother.  I have also heard that instructors will provide a copy of their notes.

My daughter is in high school, and is following the same plan my brother did for college.  She is still learning what works best for each class, but one thing we know for sure is she can't pass a test in the classroom to save her life.  When we were scheduling her to be tested for ADHD last year, I asked her algebra teacher if my daughter could repeat a few tests in a quite room just to see if we were looking in the right direction.  When my daughter re-took the tests she scored 100% every time, and she hadn't reviewed the material again.

If your daughter has ADHD, it is considered a disability that schools must accomodate. 

October 7, 2006, 10:03 am CDT

Not sure what to do with my 5 year old son & homework

He just started kindergarten about a month ago and to get him to do his homework everyday is a job.  He throws tantrums and starts crying that he don't want to do it.  Then he will say he can't do it. I always tell him he can do it that he can do anything but it dosen't seem to help. I am worried that maybe he needs some extra help. I asked the teacher and she said he was doing fine but that he is very shy it is almost like he is backwards. I don't know how to get him out of this or to even help him in anyway. My mother told me that I was that way in school. I just want to help him come out of his shell. I'm not sure if that is why I am having so much trouble when it comes to his school work? or maybe he just dosen't understand the school work? I know when I went to school I had trouble and didn't understand alot of things like math and comperhension I was terrible at it. I could use some advise about this?

October 7, 2006, 10:38 am CDT

Sleeping disorders

I totally know what the girl with the waking up problem is going through.  I agree with some of the other posters that this is something that is a real problem and not the girl's fault.  I think the girl would benefit from a sleep study.

I myself have had a hard time waking up in the mornings all my life.  At least the girl actually heard the phone when Dr. Phil called -- I can't even do that!  I don't hear alarms, phones, etc.  I have numerous alarms going off in the morning and I don't hear them!  Also, I'm sleepy during the day and then at night, I'm wide awake.  At first, my Dr. prescribed Ambien to help me to go to sleep.  But, insomnia wasn't my only problem.  No matter if I take Ambien or not and go to bed at a decent time (I am a "night owl"), I do not hear alarm clocks and such.

If I worked outside the home, it would have to be a 3rd shift job or else I'd get fired.  What made me seek help is because of my problem my 1st grader was tardy a lot at school because I couldn't get up in the morning.  Finally, I got a letter from the Asst. Principal regarding the tardiness.  So, I sought help.

I have DSPS (Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome).  This is also know as "Night Owl Syndrome".  It is a problem with circadian rhythm (internal clock).  I also have a mild case of Narcolepsy which explains the daytime sleepiness, but I can pretty much control that on my own -- my main problem is the waking up.

I think a separate show should be done on sleep disorders because they are real!  There are so many out there and they can go undiagnosed and the person just be called "lazy" and/or "depressed".  A sleep study can help with the diagnosis of whatever sleep problem you have.

As for my DSPS, there is really no cure for it.  All I can do is try to adjust my lifestyle around this disorder.  There are a few things that may or may not work such as light therapy and/or having a very strict schedule, etc., but none have worked for me.  The only thing that does work for me is taking Ambien to actually make me sleepy so that I go to bed at a normal time.  Then, it still doesn't help the waking up problem.  I don't want to be on sleeping medications all my life.

I hope that Dr. Phil can understand that sleep disorders are very real and I hope that he can air a show about it so that others may understand what theirself and/or their loved one might be going through.

October 7, 2006, 11:58 am CDT

A school full of need.

As a principal of a suburban middle school, my staff and I have been working toward meeting NCLB standards and are falling short of the mark. We are months away from corrective action if our students do not meet the Anual Yearly Progress targets by the end of this year. I was intrigued by your show and have, in fact shared brain based research with our teachers. I feel that if our parents were to have this information also, we could work together to provide the brain friendly environment our school needs to foster student progress. Is there any chance that Dr. Phil or Dr. Lawlis would be interested/available to come to our school and share with parents and teachers things we can do to enhance our children's intellectual growth and mental health?

First | Prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | Next | Last