Message Boards

Topic : 10/06 IQ Answer

Number of Replies: 118
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, September 29, 2006, 09:49:49 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Have you ever felt like you’re running in place and going nowhere? What if you could learn some critical keys to increase your intelligence? Dr. Phil, along with Dr. Frank Lawlis, chairman of the Dr. Phil Advisory Board and author of The IQ Answer, gives you practical techniques to maximize your full potential. His first guest, Elizabeth, says she’s tried everything to wake up her daughter, Miranda, in the morning -- massaging her feet, splashing water on her face, even blasting rap music! Miranda says she can sleep up to 17 hours straight, and has lost five jobs because of her tardiness. Find out what happens when she gets a wake-up call -- Dr. Phil style! Then, Faith says her 17-year-old daughter, Myia, panics before taking tests. She gets headaches, stomachaches, and often comes home crying. Can Dr. Lawlis help the teen get over her fears? Plus, find out why Dr. Phil needs Dr. Lawlis’ IQ Answer, and learn important information every parent needs to know about retraining your child’s brain. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More October 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 8, 2006, 6:02 pm CDT

Waking up

Could anyone suggest a particular alarm clock that makes certain sounds that aids in waking up?  I think Dr. Phil said something about one on the show Friday.  Thank you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

October 8, 2006, 6:42 pm CDT

Can this help a 10 yr old too?

Are these techniques also good for younger Children?

October 8, 2006, 10:11 pm CDT

Good sleep studies needed

Quote From: sleepy1

M F,

I suffer with fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue as well.  I require roughly 12 hours of sleep a day and it really affects my life in a negative way. ( What life?!!)  I watch my diet, supplement my diet, and do yoga.  At times I just want to give up because even when I'm awake I live a very low energy life.  I know ther has to be help out there, but I am too tired to seek it.  I live alone and feel as if the world is spinning around me and I am standing still helpless and dazed.  I could really benefit from any guidance you may have.

T L

TL and others who expressed concern.  Go to www.fmaware.org to learn more about fibrmyalgia and the impact it has on children, teens, and men, as well as women.  It is not all about sleep or fatigue but it is a good bet that long term sleeping problems with fuzziness and unalertness, instability on one's feet, having difficulty communicating all go along with fibromyalgia, and chronic fatigue syndrome, and similar medical problems.  Don't make light of what may be a very real medical condition over which you have no control except a proper regimen of medications individualized for you.  There are other good organizations as well.  Do a Google request for fibromyalgia assocications.

To Dr. Phil:  Fibromyalgia is no longer the all over pain thought to be only in the head of the "hyperchondriac, anxiety-prone, female."  It IS in the head but not the same way as previously insinuated by many.  It is a very complicate, medical disorder for which disorders of the autonomic systen of the central nervious system are being identified as the culprit.  But the underlying cause of these changes has not yet been idenfied.

The one lesson that must be learned us that it is a very disabling condition but does not have to be so much so if other Americans would learned that we are not "playing hooky" just because we look find.

October 9, 2006, 6:16 am CDT

Alarm

Quote From: linda8521

Could anyone suggest a particular alarm clock that makes certain sounds that aids in waking up?  I think Dr. Phil said something about one on the show Friday.  Thank you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Sleeptracker alarm has been featured on previous shows: http://www.sleeptracker.com/

October 9, 2006, 10:18 am CDT

asbergers

I have a sixteen year old grandson who has asbergers, and I was wondering if the ideas in the I Q Answers book would help him. He also has depression. He really needs some help, he has thought of killing himself.

October 9, 2006, 10:20 am CDT

My son with Narcolepsy (like me)

Quote From: linda8521

My son has THREE alarm clocks in his room that go off a few minutes apart from each other.   We frequently move them into hard to find spots, so he has to wake up enough to shut them off.  We have his door ajar, so we can hear them, but at age 17, he really needs to be able to get himself up...will be on his own after a couple of years of college...then off to a dorm.  Provigil keeps us awake during the day, but getting out of bed is a real challenge.

October 9, 2006, 10:40 am CDT

WASL has hijacked our school system!!

Quote From: mdprincipal

As a principal of a suburban middle school, my staff and I have been working toward meeting NCLB standards and are falling short of the mark. We are months away from corrective action if our students do not meet the Anual Yearly Progress targets by the end of this year. I was intrigued by your show and have, in fact shared brain based research with our teachers. I feel that if our parents were to have this information also, we could work together to provide the brain friendly environment our school needs to foster student progress. Is there any chance that Dr. Phil or Dr. Lawlis would be interested/available to come to our school and share with parents and teachers things we can do to enhance our children's intellectual growth and mental health?

I hate the standardized testing that is done in Washington State, and is now a graduation requirement to get a diploma.  If one fails it 4 times between 10th grade and 12th grade, the best they can get is a GED.

The testing is done on a regular basis, starting in 3rd grade.  The schools at all levels are now teaching to the test, and it has really hurt the old style curriculum.  Creativity has gone out the window!!  The junior high and high school curriculums include WASL classes, aimed at helping the students to be able to be successful on the WASL...the time would be better spent on teaching the practical skills needed for life.

Also, state funding is based on a school's test scores, the higher the scores, the more money the school gets.  The schools with the most needs are short-changed.  Our school is made up of a mainly spanish-speaking group...the ESL classes fall short in teaching these kids to speak English, and the parents get NO help at all in learning English, and so there is a big communication gap between teachers and parents.  They must hire translators for parent-teacher conferences!!  In spite of that, our school district has one of the highest WASL scores in the state, but like I said, they spend way too much time teaching the kids to take the test, and much too little time on creativity and practical life skills.  How many times will a person have to WRITE OUT answers to life's questions in the real world??

Our district is small (small town), and there is a shortage of teachers because the district cannot afford to hire enough teachers to provide reasonable size classes.  How can there be individual attention when there are 30 kids in the class??  I volunteer at the elementary school where my youngest son goes.  I am helping a third grader in my son's class, who doesn't know how to read.  He is still working on basic phonics and sight words.  How will he succeed on the WASL when his reading and writing skills are so far behind??  Hopefully, with help, he can get caught up before the WASL counts for his graduation and diploma!!

There is legislation in the works in Washington State to throw out the WASL.  I'll definitely vote for that.  Some standardized testing is reasonable to assess how well the students are learning, but I don't think that a teacher's job should be on the line when the scores are low.  Testing is meant to be diagnostic, and the schools can learn new ways to teach the kids what they need to know.

Well, I've taken up enough of the board...I have strong opinions of this issue.

PS  My oldest son is now a straight A student by getting a sleep study which revealed Narcolepsy, and he is now on the right meds. (previously a D student)  Adderall, which was prescribed for his previous diagnosis of ADHD was not working.  The ADHD label is given too quickly, and meds are prescribed too often, or the wrong meds, without doing thorough testing to see what is causing the behaviors!!  Our other 2 boys were incorrectly diagnosed with ADHD when they actually have Restless Leg Syndrome and Vision problems...both things which will cause ADHD symptoms.  Way back in the postings, I have written more about their histories...homework battles, and their solutions.

October 9, 2006, 11:01 am CDT

Finally I've been vindicated!

I've been saying for years that sugar is bad, Bad, BAD for everybody and I've finally heard a well respected doctor come out and say it on an internationally televised program!
And not only that, the good doctor ALSO said in the same program that protein is food for the brain. This is the other fact I've been trying to convince others of for so long!

Thank you thank you thank Dr Phil and Dr Lawlis. It's high time we started feeding our precious children, and ourselves, in a responsible healthy way. Our total health depends on the balance of several aspects of which nutrition is only one. But it is a very important aspect that can be so easily implemented in those that depend on us--our children.

After seeing first hand how a diet without sugar and with more quality proteins turned my physical health around, I put my children and husband on it too. They balked but we've never gone back to the way we ate before. Everything is better--no hearburn, no sleeping problems, allergies faded to near non-existence, grades and attention spans improved, the list goes on and on...

I predict because of this there will be "breaking" news spots on the "controversy over sugar."
Take it from the doctors, or try it yourself. We were never meant to shovel in sugar all day and we are poisoning our children if we allow them to.

October 9, 2006, 1:17 pm CDT

10/06 IQ Answer

I made it a point to watch Friday's show because I want to help my child improve academically. My daughter is 8 y/o and had recently been diagnosed with ADHD. She has been on medicine since August. I have seen only a little  improvement in her behavior (which is only seen when she first starts taking the medicine) and no improvement in her grades. My child is failing. I have contacted the school to have her tested for a second time to see if there is a learning disability. The first test showed she had some comprehension problems. She has her hearing tested which showed that she has some comprehension and processing issues. She goes to resource and speech but nothing seems to be working. I get very frustrated when trying to assist her with her homework. I know my frustration doesn't help the situation because she becomes frustrated. I believe that she may also have dyslexia because she says things backwards and she works he math problems backwards.

After watching the show on Friday I didn't feel encouraged that things could get better. I was more concerned. Because she is so hyper she dances all the time...she listens to music all the time (even when doing homework). I realize I need to give her something other than french toast sticks for breakfast to see if that helps her focus in school and try the breathing techniques.

I would love to know if there anyone has any suggestions on how to help her (US) with this dilemma.

October 9, 2006, 1:46 pm CDT

Miranda

Quote From: oftweary

Thank you for your input, and letting others of us know what lack of sleep can do. Plus why it is important to get checked for sleep disorders and by doing such may negate the need for so many meds and other illnesses may be eliminated or at least alleviated.  I have written down the "DSPS" to discuss with my doc.   It helps to read the input of others and to see what they did and if it may, in fact, also help others.  In reference to Dr. Phil dropping the ball, I feel it entails a much broader span (however,  his show is only an hour long) than what was discussed on his show, but it is better to get some info out there and at least get people moving than not doing anything at all and if what was said helps someone then it was worth it.  I think the show needs to be expanded on and entail more.  But, that is just my opinion.   The one question I do have is, "Why is the baby boom generation so messed up with health problems and what at least seems like more than other generations?"  Prior generations seemed stronger in many areas.  Again, just my opinion.  Thank You!  Happy Holidays!

To me Miranda came across as very immature, body language and facial expressions seemed more like an 11 or 12 year old. My take on her problem seemed that she just did not want to grow up or except responsibility. She still lived at home and wanted to remain a child. The others on the show were still teens and were very mature.

I agree that the baby boomer generation and those they are raising seem to have more problems and less able to cope with life. My generation did what they had to do and we did not try to find pills for every ache and pain or feeling low, people just dealt with it.

This is just on persons opinion. Thanks for letting me express it.

First | Prev | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | Next | Last