Message Boards

Topic : Breaking Up

Number of Replies: 5114
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 05:06:14 pm
Author : dataimport
Is it time to end things with your significant other? Or, have you just been handed a relationship pink slip? Share your stories.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

August 31, 2005, 11:58 am CDT

broke up after 3 years

I'm a 32 year old single mother of two beautiful girls (ages 12 and 5) that live with me and my ex-boyfriend (who has a son age 8 that he gets visitation every other weekend) were dating for 3 wonderful years.  I live in a house with just me and my girls and he still lives with his parents.  We had our shares of up and downs within the relationship but we managed to work through them.  However, my problem is that a couple of weeks ago him and his son came over to spend the night and his son insisted on sleeping in my 12 year olds top bunk of her bunk bed.  I didn't like the fact that an 8 year old boy was sleeping in the same room with my 12 year old daughter so I suggested to my ex that my youngest daughter can sleep with her sister that way his son could have my 5 year olds room all to himself.  Needless to say, that wasn't good enough for his son and he got really mad and left me (broke up with me).  He is claiming that I'm disrespecting his kid and I believe that I shouldn't have to bend over backwards to please his child - he spoils him rotten - I shouldn't have to.  I'm now sitting here wondering what happened to us.  We had a great relationship and had lots of fun together.  I still love him and miss him dearly so there's a part of me that wants him back in my life.  Is that wrong?  Should I just move on? 

August 31, 2005, 1:31 pm CDT

understand

Quote From: nickic330

I'm a 32 year old single mother of two beautiful girls (ages 12 and 5) that live with me and my ex-boyfriend (who has a son age 8 that he gets visitation every other weekend) were dating for 3 wonderful years.  I live in a house with just me and my girls and he still lives with his parents.  We had our shares of up and downs within the relationship but we managed to work through them.  However, my problem is that a couple of weeks ago him and his son came over to spend the night and his son insisted on sleeping in my 12 year olds top bunk of her bunk bed.  I didn't like the fact that an 8 year old boy was sleeping in the same room with my 12 year old daughter so I suggested to my ex that my youngest daughter can sleep with her sister that way his son could have my 5 year olds room all to himself.  Needless to say, that wasn't good enough for his son and he got really mad and left me (broke up with me).  He is claiming that I'm disrespecting his kid and I believe that I shouldn't have to bend over backwards to please his child - he spoils him rotten - I shouldn't have to.  I'm now sitting here wondering what happened to us.  We had a great relationship and had lots of fun together.  I still love him and miss him dearly so there's a part of me that wants him back in my life.  Is that wrong?  Should I just move on? 

I understand where you are coming from.  But in all reality, you need to understand where he is coming from.  You have your children with you all the time, right?  Imagine not having them all that time and only seeing them every other weekend?  It puts your mind in a different mode than yours.  If you love him, why would you move on?  Why can't you bend somewhat?  He is an eight year old for heaven sakes, he is not a 21 year old in your daughters room.  Why not make a big sleep over in the living room and have all the kids sleep in there.  My kids do that all the time with there cousins.  

They think it;s like a camping trip and pull out the sleeping bags and watch movies in front of the t.v. 

I understand you tried, yes you did.  BUT I understand where he is coming from.  He didn't think it was such a big deal, and I don't see it either.  I have two kids, a year old boy and an 11 yr old girl. And they wanted to share rooms with each other.  They love spending time together.  What if you marry this man, they will be step brothers and sisters.  Kids will be kids and whine and cry until they get what they want.  But for now, you can bend a little and just try to help the situation rather than push the man out of your life.  

August 31, 2005, 6:54 pm CDT

I think the first clue about leaving him should be, he lives with his parents

I think the first clue about leaving him should be, he lives with his parents! I am from a different generation, and I don't know if I would have a problem with an 8 year old boy, and a 12 year old girl sleeping in the same room, but what I think is not the problem, anymore than what your boyfriend thinks. IF you were uncomfortable with it, then he should respect your views, in YOUR house.  

You have every right in the world to worry, and it should send red flags all over the place that something like that was made such an issue. Maybe you should be looking for a man in your life that at least has his own, instead of his parents life. If he can't stand on his own two feet, how could you ever depend on him, if you ever needed him, instead of him needing you. In every relationship both parties need to be offering something to the relationship. IT sounds to me like you have lots to offer, and he, well I can't see what he has to offer, unless it would be a sleep over at his parents house.  

I hope this helps. Good luck and keep us posted  

August 31, 2005, 7:31 pm CDT

Breaking Up

well me and my ex still talk its just hes making me think about us..today i told him that i got a new boyfriend nand he sounded mad or sad or something i dont even know ..but than hes saying he's not sure he loves me and secand day hes saying he does i realli dont know what to think anymore. when i told him that i have a boyfriend he was different like he wants me but i realy dont have a boyfriend because im in love with him and i would do anything to go back with him..what do you think how can i get him back???  

HELPP PLEASE  

August 31, 2005, 11:37 pm CDT

confused

me and my boyfriend have been dating on and off for three years and the last time we broke up it was really bad he dumped me on my birthday and started dating his ex girl friend but their relationship only lasted two months and then he came back to me he acted like he was really sorry and like he really wanted to get back with me but i made him wait a few weeks before we started dating again we got back togther and everything was good actually it was perfect he was the loving guy i first fell in love with well about two months after we started dating again i got pregnant but a month later i lost the baby and after that things started going down hill about a week after i lost our baby i found out that his ex girlfriend is pregnant with his kid and she wants to keep it. Hes told me a million times that he doesnt want to be with her that he wants to stay with me but i dont know if i can handle the fact the hes havinga kid with someone eles especially because that child was concived while he was trying to get back togther with me but ya most of her friends are also friends of mine and they all think that im just in the way and that im going to be keeping him from his child but he told me that he was done with her but hed support his child but i read this email he had written her talking about how he loved her but was still in love with me because we had all of our first experiences together so i dont know what to think anymore i dont know which one of us he wants to be with and i dont know if i should stay and support him through this difficult situation or just get out before i get even more hurt help!!!! if you have any advice id sure love to hear it

September 1, 2005, 6:44 am CDT

Dear confused

Quote From: shannie

me and my boyfriend have been dating on and off for three years and the last time we broke up it was really bad he dumped me on my birthday and started dating his ex girl friend but their relationship only lasted two months and then he came back to me he acted like he was really sorry and like he really wanted to get back with me but i made him wait a few weeks before we started dating again we got back togther and everything was good actually it was perfect he was the loving guy i first fell in love with well about two months after we started dating again i got pregnant but a month later i lost the baby and after that things started going down hill about a week after i lost our baby i found out that his ex girlfriend is pregnant with his kid and she wants to keep it. Hes told me a million times that he doesnt want to be with her that he wants to stay with me but i dont know if i can handle the fact the hes havinga kid with someone eles especially because that child was concived while he was trying to get back togther with me but ya most of her friends are also friends of mine and they all think that im just in the way and that im going to be keeping him from his child but he told me that he was done with her but hed support his child but i read this email he had written her talking about how he loved her but was still in love with me because we had all of our first experiences together so i dont know what to think anymore i dont know which one of us he wants to be with and i dont know if i should stay and support him through this difficult situation or just get out before i get even more hurt help!!!! if you have any advice id sure love to hear it
I understand what you're going through.  If the two of you truly love each other as much as you both say you do than you can work through anything.  Til' this day, I still love my kid's father and I haven't been with him in over 4 years now.  He's moved on and so have I.  My kids still have a relationship with him and I wouldn't change that for the world.  The good thing about the e-mail your man sent to his ex is that he told her that he was in love with you.  Is she trying to get him back just because she's pregnant?  I see no reason why he can't still be with you and still spend time with his child.  I think you need to be the bigger person and not worry so much about when and how the child was conceived - it's not the child's fault.  I don't think you would be in the way and I really hope that you wouldn't keep him from his child.  I think this is all about being supportive.

September 1, 2005, 8:47 am CDT

First and foremost, NEVER play games to settle issues, and .....

Quote From: maida_d

well me and my ex still talk its just hes making me think about us..today i told him that i got a new boyfriend nand he sounded mad or sad or something i dont even know ..but than hes saying he's not sure he loves me and secand day hes saying he does i realli dont know what to think anymore. when i told him that i have a boyfriend he was different like he wants me but i realy dont have a boyfriend because im in love with him and i would do anything to go back with him..what do you think how can i get him back???  

HELPP PLEASE  

First and foremost, NEVER play games to settle issues, and telling him you have a boyfriend when you don't, may work in the movies and television, but deceit and  dishonesty will never help repair a relationship. 

How do you expect to work things out by lying? Open up  and let him know where you stand, and if it doesn't work, well rather you believe it or not, life goes on, and I have never been in a relationship where once it was over and I was still in love, that I thought I would never find anyone I loved as much. Each time the next was better than before. Sometimes we learn things from relationships, and when we think "this is the one" it actually is just a lesson to prepare us for the next better one. 

Again, stop playing games, be an adult, and you will find truth may not always feel good, but you will always sleep better knowing you were honest, instead of tricking someone to care for you. I hope this helps. Good luck 

September 1, 2005, 12:08 pm CDT

ya i think shes trying to get him back by using the baby

I understand what you're going through.  If the two of you truly love each other as much as you both say you do than you can work through anything.  Til' this day, I still love my kid's father and I haven't been with him in over 4 years now.  He's moved on and so have I.  My kids still have a relationship with him and I wouldn't change that for the world.  The good thing about the e-mail your man sent to his ex is that he told her that he was in love with you.  Is she trying to get him back just because she's pregnant?  I see no reason why he can't still be with you and still spend time with his child.  I think you need to be the bigger person and not worry so much about when and how the child was conceived - it's not the child's fault.  I don't think you would be in the way and I really hope that you wouldn't keep him from his child.  I think this is all about being supportive.
well she says that she isnt trying to get him back but she says that if he stays with me then she doesnt want anything to do with him and that he isnt allowed to see his kid so ya i think shes trying to get him back but he says he wants nothing to do with her but he wants to be there for his kid if he can so ya i feel like im totally in the way

September 2, 2005, 5:30 am CDT

pregnant ex

Quote From: shannie

well she says that she isnt trying to get him back but she says that if he stays with me then she doesnt want anything to do with him and that he isnt allowed to see his kid so ya i think shes trying to get him back but he says he wants nothing to do with her but he wants to be there for his kid if he can so ya i feel like im totally in the way

Sounds to me like his ex has a lot of growing up to do.  She actually told him that she didn't want him in THEIR baby's life if he's with you?  That's pathetic.  Here's a story that might help you:  when I was with my kid's father (for over 7 years) his ex-wife didn't like me (for no good reason except the fact that I was with him) and she tried keeping his son away from him just because he was with me.  Luckily, they were married and had child support and visitation set up so I convinced him that he should take her to court to charge her with contempt and he did.  The court only slapped her on the hand but after doing this more than once, she finally grew up and realized she was in the wrong. 

So my suggestion to you is if your man wants to be with you and still see his baby, then he needs to take his ex to court to fight for visitation.  He has that right.  And if you suggest it to him, he'll see that you're not trying to stay in his way and that you're on his side.  There's nothing his ex can do once the courts are involved unless she can prove that he's unstable and unfit in any way.  I wish you all the best of luck. 

September 2, 2005, 6:44 pm CDT

I screwed up

Almost 20 yrs. ago now I was with a guy; he was not perfect but we were dating for about 5 yrs. I say he was not perfect because he drank a lot but wasn't mean or anything. A lot happened while we were together and I knew he wasn't going to change, but I needed a change in my life.     

I signed up to go into the military and before I left I promised to keep in touch; he didn't want me to go because he was afraid I would marry someone else and he'd never see me again.    

I never did write to him, I think because I was enjoying being out in the world so much. I also met another guy and I eventually married him; we've been married for about 17 yrs. and have a teen aged son.    

I lost track of that guy from almost twenty years ago until just this past weekend. I now know where he lives so I have an address and phone number. Now I find myself thinking about him a lot and wondering how he's doing...the thing is, I pretty much left him high and dry all those years ago and I don't know if he would even want to hear from me now. Also, I don't know if he's married now or what, and I know I don't want to interfere with whatever relationship he may have going right now.    

Should I write to him or call to see how he's doing? I have no intention of going back to him as I have a family and a good job where I am, and I don't want to mess up his family if he has one, but I feel as though I need to know how he's doing and apologize for what I've done.    

As for his drinking, yes, I think he's still at it. I saw in the newspaper on the internet where he was arrested for DUI three yrs. ago. After all this time he's not going to quit till he's good and ready.    

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | Next | Last