Message Boards

Topic : 10/09 The Dr. Phil House: A Family's Last Chance, Part 4

Number of Replies: 224
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, October 05, 2006, 04:39:48 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
It’s their final day in The Dr. Phil House, and Todd and Jessica don’t waste any time getting into a heated argument. Then, they have their last meeting with Dr. Phil, who tells them what they both need to do when they get home in order to repair their marriage. Are both Todd and Jessica committed to saving their relationship? Plus, a stern warning from Dr. Phil about parenting their children. Did they take Dr. Phil’s advice? Find out as he follows up with this family two months later. One of them is conspicuously absent in the follow-up and the other reports some sad news. Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More October 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 10, 2006, 1:37 pm CDT

Jessica...No Victim!!!

Quote From: sadie2doxy

I agree with this. He is attacking and now she seems cold. Well, she may now end up being a cold person. I am not defending her, she was in the wrong. I just see her side as far as the abusive/attacking manner that her husband chooses to use. This will tear a person down after a while. It can actually drain all of the self esteem from a person. I am glad they split. I am sorry for the children and how broken their families are now, but it truly is for the best for these particular children and this particular family. I wish the kids all the luck in the world!!!

I'm sorry. I will have to disagree with this qoute. Jessica is cold because Jessica is cold.  No man should be able to take all your emotion away to the point that you would be cold to your own children too. That is ridiculous. Im sure when she was pumpin these other men she sure made some emotions. Things sure where hot then!!

Jessica was not the victim here. if you seen all 3 shows, its clear that Jessica has a voice. When she is ready she can be just as vicious.

DId you notice how initially, when Jessica confessed the first affair, she was crying and saying she felt she was an awful person etc etc. When Todd sits close to her and tells her he forgives the affairs and wants to work on the marriage, her tears miraculously dissaperared. Her second confession, that it wasn't the first time, almost seemed like she was stabbing him in the heart with the news. What happened to the sad, poor jessica crying sorrowfully for her mistake(s). you could turn her emotions on and odd like a light switch. That's not genuine. She wanted the easy way out. When she realized the fist confession wasn't enough to push Todd away...she went for the plunge...with a vengence and you could see it in her face.

If Jessica was so fed up she should have used  Dr. Phils house to come clean and find away to move forward. If that meant separateing or even divorce learning, and preparing to make it as painless as possible for the children, and as peaceful as possible for herself and Todd. Why all this drama, why make promises you never intend to keep, and now after Dr. Phil has brought you thus far, you refuse to have a follow up???

WAKE UP. 

October 10, 2006, 2:00 pm CDT

Life's Lessons

Quote From: shrimpety

After the prior show I expected that jessica would walk away. I think the sad part is that what Todd was trying to do was noble; he just went about it the wrong way. In the end all of his suspicions were confirmed and i think once she left  him, it was good for him. i certainly don't condone the badgering but at some point all he wanted her to do was have her admit she didnt' want to be married to him anymore. That is not too much to ask.

I wasn't clear, did he get custody of his youngest son? i couldn't tell but I hope he did. all of the kids seem to be kind hearted and hopefully with some counseling and time can move on to have good lives. Jessica seems to have some fairly deep rooted issues to resolve.

I learned a lesson once: As a kid we think our parents are perfect. As we get older we discover our parents are not perfect, the greatest gift we can give them and ourselves is to forgive them for their shortcomings and love them enough to not hold the shortcomings against them.

I really wonder if Todd really did "change" when they went back home. I doubt it. They are better off apart. I love the lesson you refer to. It works for parents forgiving children as well.  You seem like a very wise person.

October 10, 2006, 2:07 pm CDT

It Takes Two!!!

Why can't we just all agree that Todd and Jessica were a bad combination resulting in a toxic relationship creating a more and more toxic family by hte minute? Why does there always have to be someone at fault? What do you think THAT does to children???

October 10, 2006, 2:27 pm CDT

I wasn't totally wrong

Hey Dr. Phil,

There were things that happened that I believed were right, in which I stated.  However, I have to give u the benefit of the doubt.  U didn't bring the relationship back together, but u were able to straighten Todd out, which was a good thing, especially, for the boys.  I hope that he finds someone who is trustworthy and will make him happy.

God forbid Jessica comes back into the picture.  Then I'd have to say Todd ,u are a loser, to take her back.  She's a basket case.

Just my opinion.

Congrats on your advice for Todd.

Sincerely,

Kelly Leger

October 10, 2006, 3:43 pm CDT

Glad Dr Phil tried with these people

Quote From: janice255

I was raised in a family of five children where from age 6 1/2 years old heraing how my parents were going to stay together until the first 3 turned 18 cause that is how many my Dad wanted.  Then my Mom got pregnant accidently twice more.  Watching the fighting and kicking the walls and furniture flying and cussing and crying.  I don't agree to stay together for the sake of the kids. I'm glad this couple is seperating now and as stated by someone else; time and alot on Todd's part will be better off.  Sometimes it's better for the parents to divorce than keep fighting in front of the kids and then trying to get the kids on their side.  My parents seperated for 6 weeks after the 3rd child turned graduated from High school.  I was already married by that time since I was the oldest.  They decided to go back together again cause it wasn't fair for the 2 youngest ones.  What a bunch of crock! Maybe money wise only. They stayed till the youngest one had a year of vocational school.  Another 7 years!  My Dad married twice more and is now dead.  My mother is still living and never remarried.  And oh the sorted affairs on each part!  Yep kids are smarter than you think.
Im glad that Dr Phil gave this family a chance.All were blended from previous marriages.The  older boys certainly should have had a chance to see  family issues worked out so they could thrive and succeed in their lives.The youngest boy probably needed the most help as he was not on this planet long enough to gain any coping skills.Sadly after 9 years, the marriage was ultimately dead.Thanks Dr Phil for one last try.There was so much to lose and so much to gain.  

October 10, 2006, 3:54 pm CDT

10/09 The Dr. Phil House: A Family's Last Chance, Part 4

I was in an abusive relationship like this one for about 5 years.  In fact, Todd looks so much like my ex that I have a hard time watching it.  He acts just like him too.  My ex was so clingy, needy and controlling that I couldn't even take a bath without him coming into the bathroom.  If we were arguing (wihch was frequent), he would follow me around the house and keep after me until I wanted to scream, calling me vile names at the top of his lungs.  I lost it one time and hit him with a pillow and he threatened to call the police.  I would rather a man hit me than verballyl abuse me, because then I can fight back.  I understand what she meant when she told hime she would rather him slam her head into the wall.   This show brings back some bad memories, but I'm a better person for having divorced him.  Todd's insecurity is going to destroy any relationship he has in the future.  Just watch.

P.S. I only had one man hit me.  I broke his nose in two places and never looked back.  I'll never stay in another abusive relationship again.  I learned my lesson.

October 10, 2006, 4:13 pm CDT

I'd be the last one in the world to demonize Todd. He, at least, was trying to make the marriage work. But, let's not forget how this marriage began. It began as an affair. And, such a marriage is usually doomed. Because, as Dr Phil often points out, and pointed out to Todd, if they cheat with you, they'll often cheat on you. And, this was Todd's experience with Jessica. Twice! Suppose Jessica had broken off her curent affair? There'd likely be another. She's IMO, the cheating type. Dr Phil is right to encourage Todd to move on. And, find someone else. Let's hope he's learned to leave the married ones alone!

October 10, 2006, 4:23 pm CDT

Quote From: nurse_asylum

I'm sorry. I will have to disagree with this qoute. Jessica is cold because Jessica is cold.  No man should be able to take all your emotion away to the point that you would be cold to your own children too. That is ridiculous. Im sure when she was pumpin these other men she sure made some emotions. Things sure where hot then!!

Jessica was not the victim here. if you seen all 3 shows, its clear that Jessica has a voice. When she is ready she can be just as vicious.

DId you notice how initially, when Jessica confessed the first affair, she was crying and saying she felt she was an awful person etc etc. When Todd sits close to her and tells her he forgives the affairs and wants to work on the marriage, her tears miraculously dissaperared. Her second confession, that it wasn't the first time, almost seemed like she was stabbing him in the heart with the news. What happened to the sad, poor jessica crying sorrowfully for her mistake(s). you could turn her emotions on and odd like a light switch. That's not genuine. She wanted the easy way out. When she realized the fist confession wasn't enough to push Todd away...she went for the plunge...with a vengence and you could see it in her face.

If Jessica was so fed up she should have used  Dr. Phils house to come clean and find away to move forward. If that meant separateing or even divorce learning, and preparing to make it as painless as possible for the children, and as peaceful as possible for herself and Todd. Why all this drama, why make promises you never intend to keep, and now after Dr. Phil has brought you thus far, you refuse to have a follow up???

WAKE UP. 

I Jessica's "crying" was part of the snow job she continued trying to put over on Dr Phil. Pretend to be all remorseful over an affair she obviuosly had no intention of ending. And, could no longer deny, in the face of undeniable evidence and Dr Phil's suspicion. Todd apparently only suspected her of the second affair. Copping to the first one seemed an obvious ploy to hurt him. I think she wanted him to sue for divorce. And, do all the "dirty work" for her. Freeing her to continue the affair.

October 10, 2006, 4:29 pm CDT

Quote From: jtberndt

Yes I wanted so much to save my marriage but it was not ment to be, which probably is a good thing, we are doing so much better now, the boys and I are doing great, as for Jessica well I could not tell you because the little I talked with her she has just been JESSICA !!!
What a nice way of putting it, Todd! Glad you're doing well. The boys, too. Hope if you haven't gotten custody yet, you will. I think they'll experience less  chaos  with you the custodial parent.

October 10, 2006, 4:37 pm CDT

Quote From: letfrancis

I am shocked at what I have seen by both adults!  Don't they understand that it is no longer about them but it is about the three boys!  I think this women needs a serious dose of reality!  She sleeps around not once but twice and then goes on national television to announce it not only to her husband but to the boys and the rest of the world.  She is a selfish woman and if she was here in front of me I would like to show her exactly how she portrays herself.  She loves being the center of attention but can't step up to the plate and take roll that she needs to for the sake of those boys!  And if he is such a big orange slob then maybe she should stop sleeping around and spend some time with him by taking a stroll so that he has no excuse for being as she says a big fat orange slob!

Just one womans opinioun!

Just who on earth does Jessica think she is, calling Todd a "big fat orange slob?" I'm glad I wasn't drinking anything when she did that! I probably would've blown it all over the den! With her own belly poking out. She's no "skinny minnie" herself. At least Todd lost 20 lbs before he returned for a follow-up with Dr Phil.

First | Prev | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | Next | Last