Message Boards

Topic : 10/09 The Dr. Phil House: A Family's Last Chance, Part 4

Number of Replies: 224
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, October 05, 2006, 04:39:48 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
It’s their final day in The Dr. Phil House, and Todd and Jessica don’t waste any time getting into a heated argument. Then, they have their last meeting with Dr. Phil, who tells them what they both need to do when they get home in order to repair their marriage. Are both Todd and Jessica committed to saving their relationship? Plus, a stern warning from Dr. Phil about parenting their children. Did they take Dr. Phil’s advice? Find out as he follows up with this family two months later. One of them is conspicuously absent in the follow-up and the other reports some sad news. Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More October 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 6, 2006, 2:13 pm CDT

HELP THE BOYS !!!

Dr.Phil,

I know this show hasn't even been aired yet, so I might see a resolution to some of my concerns on Monday, but I think our concerns should definitely be on these poor boys. As a CASA Volunteer (Court Appointed Special Advocate, a voice for children in the courts), these boys need a CASA volunteer in their area and/or an ad litem, to help these boys get into a healthy environment. This mother is a liar and can't be trusted and know how to play to the camera. The father will never forgive her and will continue to make her life miserable. To hear a young boy even discuss the word "suicide" is unforgiving. They should be more worried about football games,cartoons, and taking care of zits!

Dr. Phil, I know you will take care of this situation, and I look forward to see the final show. I'm worried, but hopeful. The parents are more immature than these wonderful boys. I loved how they felt a sense of relief after your chat with them. How wonderful for them to finally feel a sense of relief knowing none of this is their fault. I hope they will be OK.

October 7, 2006, 8:00 am CDT

10/09 The Dr. Phil House: A Family's Last Chance, Part 4

Help the boys is right - This woman is a real  treat.  Does she really believe that no one can see through her manipulation and drama? She had no intention of saving this marriage. I believe she is trying to make him so miserable that he leaves her.  Then she can remain the victim - isn't that what she's about.  How pathetic. Forget the parents and save the boys.

October 7, 2006, 8:09 am CDT

10/09 The Dr. Phil House: A Family's Last Chance, Part 4

Quote From: cindyeb

Dr.Phil,

I know this show hasn't even been aired yet, so I might see a resolution to some of my concerns on Monday, but I think our concerns should definitely be on these poor boys. As a CASA Volunteer (Court Appointed Special Advocate, a voice for children in the courts), these boys need a CASA volunteer in their area and/or an ad litem, to help these boys get into a healthy environment. This mother is a liar and can't be trusted and know how to play to the camera. The father will never forgive her and will continue to make her life miserable. To hear a young boy even discuss the word "suicide" is unforgiving. They should be more worried about football games,cartoons, and taking care of zits!

Dr. Phil, I know you will take care of this situation, and I look forward to see the final show. I'm worried, but hopeful. The parents are more immature than these wonderful boys. I loved how they felt a sense of relief after your chat with them. How wonderful for them to finally feel a sense of relief knowing none of this is their fault. I hope they will be OK.

Dr.Phil,

Agree with everything CASA Volunteer said.  There seems to be a lot of time wasted on this couple.  They should not be together.  She clearly has no love for him, and he is desperately

trying to control her, somehow thinking this will make things better.  Does anyone seriously

think her sleeping with other men will stop?

The only reason their story is of any interest at all, is because of the kids, who are the real losers.

Please, help the kids, as much as you can, but get this couple out of the Dr. Phil House, and

get people in there who are serious about improving themselves and their relationship.   

October 7, 2006, 8:17 am CDT

Dear Dr.Phil,

no matter what happens to the couples please help the boys they deserve to have help.

October 7, 2006, 9:03 am CDT

Truer words were never spoken

Dr.Phil,

Hi Cindy.

I have to say that I agree with you in most of your message.  If by, "The parents are more immature than these wonderful boys", you're talking about both Todd and Jessica, then I'd have to disagree.  I've been watching this serial for every part except the first one (Shaw Cable was out all day that day, no TV, no internet) and it seems that Todd is a lot more mature than Jessica ever would be.  Come on, if she was going to have an affair, you'd think she'd at least wait until she was in the process of the divorce.  She could be compared to Sharon Newman on The Young and the Restless, and that's a FICTIONAL character of a show that entirely FICTION.  Todd may be a louse in his own right, but as far as I'm concerned, Jessica is getting exactly what was coming to her (especially with the MIL giving her hell last week.)

In my very humble opinion, I think Todd should receive custody of the boys, and, instead of being both Mom and Dad to them, he should concentrate on just being a Dad to them - playing sports with them, volunteering at the local Boys and Girls Club, and taking all three boys with them, helping them with homework (depending on his own expertise and attitude in certain subjects.)  Not to put down all mothers of sons, but I do not believe that all boys need to have a mother, contrary to popular belief.  Dr. Phil said it best: "The most important relationship a child will ever have is that of a same-sex parent."  Perhaps the only exception I'd make is if he meets a single woman with a son (13 or younger) whose own father is not in his life.

PS: Cindy, you say you're a Court Appointed Special Advocate, a voice for children in the courts.  I see you how posted messages in this and the "Angry Mom" board.  Please go to the show Archives, click on this month, and select the topic "Custody Battles Gone Bad" (dated 10/04, just this Wednesday.)  We need your expertise on THAT message board, too.

October 7, 2006, 11:19 am CDT

Your Humble Opinion is very lopsided

Quote From: davewriter

Hi Cindy.

I have to say that I agree with you in most of your message.  If by, "The parents are more immature than these wonderful boys", you're talking about both Todd and Jessica, then I'd have to disagree.  I've been watching this serial for every part except the first one (Shaw Cable was out all day that day, no TV, no internet) and it seems that Todd is a lot more mature than Jessica ever would be.  Come on, if she was going to have an affair, you'd think she'd at least wait until she was in the process of the divorce.  She could be compared to Sharon Newman on The Young and the Restless, and that's a FICTIONAL character of a show that entirely FICTION.  Todd may be a louse in his own right, but as far as I'm concerned, Jessica is getting exactly what was coming to her (especially with the MIL giving her hell last week.)

In my very humble opinion, I think Todd should receive custody of the boys, and, instead of being both Mom and Dad to them, he should concentrate on just being a Dad to them - playing sports with them, volunteering at the local Boys and Girls Club, and taking all three boys with them, helping them with homework (depending on his own expertise and attitude in certain subjects.)  Not to put down all mothers of sons, but I do not believe that all boys need to have a mother, contrary to popular belief.  Dr. Phil said it best: "The most important relationship a child will ever have is that of a same-sex parent."  Perhaps the only exception I'd make is if he meets a single woman with a son (13 or younger) whose own father is not in his life.

PS: Cindy, you say you're a Court Appointed Special Advocate, a voice for children in the courts.  I see you how posted messages in this and the "Angry Mom" board.  Please go to the show Archives, click on this month, and select the topic "Custody Battles Gone Bad" (dated 10/04, just this Wednesday.)  We need your expertise on THAT message board, too.

There is no doubt that these boys are paying the price of this dysfunctional marriage.  Both of the parents need some serious counseling both individually and as a couple, not to mention family counselling. My parents divorced when I was just 5 years old, and it was extremely nasty.  I still carry those feelings and scars from taking responsibility of my parents' failed marriage.  Therefore, I can truly relate to how these kids feel.  I can tell that these kids are in a no win situation.  Even if Todd and Jessica divorce, the kids will continue to pay the price.  Jessica is too self involved to recognize the pain of her children.  She is just too busy being a drama queen and searching for love in all the wrong ways to look at her kids and say "What am I doing to my children?"  Then making sure their needs come first.  Todd, on the other hand, is no better.  He is controlling and angry and will definitely make sure the kids pay the price for his mistakes.  Granted, he will not intentionally do these things but his anger is so great that he doesn't see the pain he causes.

As for your comment, that not all children need both a mother and a father.  You are highly mistaken.  While it is true that single parents can raise children to be successful, it is also true that those children do feel as though they have missed something in their lives.  Children are created by both a male and female for a reason, and that is to provide balance in their lives.  It is very important that children are raised in a balanced environment.  And it is also true that if you ask a single parent if they desired to raise their children alone, my bet is that they would tell you that is was not their plan in life and that they wished they had a partner in their lives to help provide a balanced environment for their kids.

As for these boys, I almost want to say that it would be better to remove them entirely from the situation for a while, until these parents can get it together enough to be a solid role model for these children.  While, I know that is not a realistic option, it is definitely one I wish could have been utilized when I was a child.  Maybe it would have helped with the ultimate price I paid, maybe it would help them.  Just a thought.

October 7, 2006, 11:25 am CDT

Help the kids before it's too late

Dr.Phil,

Dr. Phil,

I've watched the first and third episode on this one.  I had really hoped that they would be able to work things out after the first show given that Jessica finally admitted that she was indeed cheating.  But after watching the third show, I don't know if I hold out much  hope about this relationship working out.  Jessica appears to have already emotionally left the relationship, so to save it for the sake of the kids at this point, I don't think is a good idea.  I feel that the only reason that her husband (I think his name is Todd?) is trying to "control" her is because he feels so hopeless in the sitation that he is now in - not that this in any way can solve the problem.  The boys are still young, and can still rebound from the homelife that they have been living in, but I do hope that they receive counselling to help them to deal with all of the things that they have witnessed.  I'd hate to see them become adults and continuing on the situations that they have grown up with into their own adult relationships.  I think that by talking to you in the one episode that they (the boys) finally felt that their voice was being heard, which is a shame.  They need a lot more of "having their voice being heard".

October 7, 2006, 11:50 am CDT

too bad... so sad...

I've caught a couple of the shows regarding this "family" in Dr Phil's house... I thought my family was messed up... lands...
I think Dr Phil usually says it's better to be from a broken home than to be in one... and in this case I couldn't agree more...
Watched the husband be verbally abusive and angry.... didn't see alot of hostility towards the boys... she keeps saying he's gonna leave me... I think shes got the right idea... but I gotta ask
why does she assume she should keep the house and the children... does anybody think she's a fit parent to raise boys...
What I know for sure is she lies continuously, blames everyone else for her own shortcomings... and has/is committing adultry more than once in this marraige...
I think the kids would be better off with their dad... she should be left to fend for herself, and let the men get on with their lives... nobody needs a mother like her... ever.

October 7, 2006, 12:04 pm CDT

The Boys!

From my own personal experience having step-children its a hard long road once ye have made the wrong decisions or choices,and to me the oldest step son has a big heart and forgiving heart towards Jessica,me...well had my step-mum spoke to me like she did to the boy I would'eve told her to sod off and go take care of her own issues which seems to be many,the husband from wot I saw on the show will not change nor her,he is too embittered and will suffocate her with all his questions about her infidelites,like me mum used to say(Once a cheater always a cheater,)she would know because my sire did that to her many times.

These 2 need to part ways for good,nothing positive will come of them staying together unless some kind of powers that be steps in to help,they both act the victim,both of them have foul mouths and tempers,if my husband ever called me a full blown slut I would cold cock him into 2020 but thats me.

I am worried about the boys and the outcome from all this muck!

October 7, 2006, 12:11 pm CDT

Finally

Quote From: bluegirl1

Help the boys is right - This woman is a real  treat.  Does she really believe that no one can see through her manipulation and drama? She had no intention of saving this marriage. I believe she is trying to make him so miserable that he leaves her.  Then she can remain the victim - isn't that what she's about.  How pathetic. Forget the parents and save the boys.
Finally someone who makes sense,I too wish the boys to have help,that woman is way out there if she thinks that the million of viewers did not see through her,both of them are playing the victim,tis sickening,my heart went out to the step-son,he does not need to have that tart in his life or his dads but me thinks the dad will try to hang onto her tho she doesn't want any part of saving the marriage,the mother in-law was a hoot bless her heart,these boys need to be placed in some kind of home where they will feel wanted and not having to go through they'er dads drama,tis not fair to them,makes me sick knowing thousands of children every bloody day get caught in the crossfire.

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last