Message Boards

Topic : 12/25 Divorcing the Family

Number of Replies: 182
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, October 05, 2006, 04:44:59 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 10/12/06) When you lose control of your kids and household, is it ever possible to get it back? Peggy was so fed up with her 17-year-old twin boys' behavior –- their yelling, tantrums, cursing, disrespect, fighting -- and the resulting strain on her marriage that she arrived at a radical solution: Divorce one of her sons from the family. However, when Peggy filed the paperwork to emancipate her son, the courts turned her down, leaving him in her care until age 18. Can Dr. Phil convince Peggy and her husband to accept responsibility for their deteriorating home situation? Can he inspire the teens to help calm the chaos? Or, is divorcing a family member a viable last-ditch option? Tell us what you think!

Find out what happened on the show.

More December 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 1, 2007, 5:56 pm CST

12/25 Divorcing the Family

Quote From: llprine

I think this family reflects what is happening in my home.  I only have one son (16) and I feel like a doormat!  It depressed me to hear Dr. Phil say that the same sex parent has major influence on the child because my husband is a "functioning alcoholic" and never has a kind word to say to our son who is always angry.  My husband thinks he is ALWAYS right; won't listen to any other opinion.  I've tried to be the mediator and am so stressed all the time that I just want to run away.  Dr. Phil pointed out that maybe hormones could be part to of the problem; that gives me hope I can survive until my son leaves.  He says he'll be gone as soon as he turns 18.  What also struck me about today's show was the idea of a fifth personality--a composite of the family.  I guess that's why we are all so negative when we come home.  I'm going to get the transcript of the show and do some studying.  Thanks Dr. Phil!!!

alot the same going on her-- my son couldnt wait till he was 18 to move out-- but they usually move back in-- my son is 23- hes been back 4 times or so-- as long as they live a produtive live and follow rules- what more could u ask?  my husband sounds like yours-- my son and his stepdad dont get along- but weve all been together since my son was 4 - because of  the way my husband is--makes the son not want to follow rules- some men never change-- but i always make sure my son knows i love him and i understand his feelings- im always here for him-- husband kicked him out many times  thats bad-  talking is the way to go-- everyday if you have to talk- to both of them-- something may happen-- dont want son to have bad feelings for you because of how his dad is-- alot of men think- out of sight out of mind-- i dont like that- one night i left and i didnt know where to go what motel-   my mom and dad are both gone -- i didnt want to be at home because of how husband treats son and my son rebeled-  it all makes life real hard and sad-- but i drove for 2 hours-- i ended up here even though i didnt want to be around husband- but that is a terrible feeling- wondering where to go when there is no where else but home--- i dont like that kicking out stuff.

January 3, 2007, 7:20 am CST

Divorcing My Parents

Mom and Dad are in their 70's and 80's.  They are wealthy with lots of land.  They have never mentioned anything about who gets what and how everything will be divided when they pass away.  Mom and Dad told me that my adopted nephew thinks he is going to live in their house rent free when Mom and Dad pass away.  I expressed how I felt about that.  I told Mom if they let my adopted nephew and his family live in the house, that I would be done with the family.  This would include my siblings.  My brother farms the land.  He will think he deserves more than the rest of the siblings.  He thinks everyone owes him.  Mom and Dad cater to people that are not family.  They bought land for a cousin, they pay for a cousin's meals and Mom cooks for my brother, his girlfriend's son and the adopted nephew.  The adopted nephew's wife told my Mom it is her job to offer anyone that comes to the house food and meals.  I would not be able to be around my nephew and his family anymore when I come home.  Who do they think they are?  Why do I think I should divorce the family now?  I would set myself up for feeling the way I have always felt.   I don't feel like an equal in the family.  I still get put downs from Mom.  She does this to me around people I hardly know.  When I told Mom that I wouldn't have anymore to do with the family if my adopted nephew gets their house, she told me that I would have to go by the will.  End of discussion !

First | Prev | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | Next Page | Last Page